OK-Fess Up!

Probably just to prevent sitting on the wall.

Bill From PA

I would say someone's child was walking the wall and fell ... that then leads to lawsuits so I would guess preventive such a shame.

I don't see why they'd care if someone sat on the wall, but climbing in the flower bed would damage the flowers.

Well, this is a bummer. A minor one, but still...

Untitled by suegee57, on Flickr

My groups usually meet at Floral Micket at the end of a day at MK, and we often take a group shot. Of course we can still do that, but won't have a row of kids sitting on the wall. Although I can see people trying to straddle that fence for photos. An accident waiting to happen, for sure.

Gosh, I would have sworn that fence was always there. I'm so bad at noticing these things. My boyfriend always says I would suck at being interviewed by police as an eye witness because I never notice half of this stuff!

To my recollection, there's been a railing in front of the Mickey floral at Disneyland for quite some time.

Shortly after I made my first post to this thread I looked at the framed picture I have of myself in front of the special 50th anniversary floral they had at Disneyland in 2005, and yes, there is a railing, and it's obviously been there at least 10 years, although it's taller and a bit more ornate than the one in the the picture in the first post. Also, I'm leaning against the wall, which appears to be much closer to the ground than what I'm seeing in subtchr's picture - I'm leaning on it but would clearly only have to lift myself a little bit to sit on it whereas the kids in subtchr's picture have their feet dangling several feet above the ground. All I can say is, if people have to climb that high to get into the flower bed, then they really are idiots.

Last edited:
No idea, but this does remind me of about 5 years ago, as we were leaving EPCOT one afternoon, there were several younger kids playing in the topiaries inside the entrance of the park, as their parents were talking and not paying attention to what they were doing.

The last time I was in Epcot in Dec, there were multiple families placing their kids in amongst the decorative wrapped packages and plants at the bottom of SE, at the entrance to the park. Drove me nutty....the beautiful plants were getting crushed! People will just keep doing dopey stuff I guess.

The last time I was in Epcot in Dec, there were multiple families placing their kids in amongst the decorative wrapped packages and plants at the bottom of SE, at the entrance to the park. Drove me nutty....the beautiful plants were getting crushed! People will just keep doing dopey stuff I guess.

Me too, I wanted to find a cast member, but we were leaving and running a little late for an ADR in another park, and it just wasn't worth it.

Shamefully, I once had to scold my wife for wanting to take a picture from behind the rope protecting the human-size Gingerbread House inside Grand Floridian.....and she did this in front of our young child.

Otherwise, she is a most capable and considerate person.

Disney or photography seems to make people do weird things that are otherwise out of character.

I would be curious to know why something so pointy and ominous needed to be used at the Happiest Place on Earth.

It's not a very high railing, I'd be willing to bet that some people will still climb over it.

It makes me sad to say it but I can't say I'm surprised really. When we last visited, December 2014, we saw people sitting on the wall, kids walking and running on the wall, climbing up and jumping off the wall, and yes, kids playing on the grassy area and in the flowers. Most of the time the adults with them were either not paying attention to them, or laughing while watching them and taking their pictures.

It just takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter