• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ok everyone is talking about.....

I would like to clear up a huge misconception to all the posters who so wrongly assume that mail carriers make a very good wage. My DH has been a mail carrier for 16 1/2 years and last year, when the government recounted their routes, his office lost over $100,00 in wages. We were lucky, we only lost $6,000 a year. Forget a raise, we would be happy to stay at the same salary, and I can guarantee you it is not high. Also, just for another example, a woman who is a mail carrier in his office had a mom who was very sick,. She used all her sick days taking care of her and she passed away. The woman had to work for 3 days and take the days of the wake and funeral with no pay because for rural carriers(I don't know about city carriers) you have to use personal or sick days for funerals.

Now for the original question, my DH goes above and beyond for his customers. He will carry packages to peoples garages during the holidays so the kids don't see them etc. He usually gets cash which we do appreciate the most. Any baked good I do usually throw out because in all honesty, it sort of grosses me out. Gift cards are nice and you should always give what your conscience tells you to.

I however HATE my mail carrier and the only tip I have ever given him was to not spit in the wind. He is nasty, lazy and not the brightest man in the world. The bottom line is people do what they want.

L

That post about throwing out all of the baked goods her husband would get reminded me of what one of my teacher friends told me several years ago when our kids were younger. Her school administration advised all of the teachers to throw out any baked goods they get as presents. I don't know if their school had a problem in the past with it or what, but maybe it's something to keep in mind.

I don't tip the mailman -- maybe I should and then I wouldn't have some of the problems I have. From what I understand, the letter carriers in our area make very good money, and have outstanding benefits.

I have tipped the garbagemen occasionally, but those times are throughout the year when we have an unusual amount of junk.

I always tried to be more generous with the volunteers who did things on their own time without pay, like the CCD teachers, scout leaders, and coaches (not school coaches, but coaches like little league, park district soccer, etc.)

I don't have a regular hairdresser, so that isn't an issue for me.

I
Never give to the garbage collectors. I never see them and how would they know it wasn't garbage? They collect at 4:00AM. I am not waking up to give them a tip.

This is what I wonder, too.
If you are so inclined, how do you tip the garbage collectors? I certainly wouldn't recognize any of them if I saw them. In fact, I don't even know how many there are.

I haven't tipped/gifted any of the positions the OP brought up in the past.
I may give our mailman something this year though. Since he started the route, we don't get the neighobor's mail. He is very friendly. If something is obviously breakable, he will walk it up to the house instead of cramming it in the box, etc. He's waited for me to run in and grab that letter I forgot to put in the box...that sort of thing.
I like to show appreciation for the folks who make an effort to go above and beyond what they are required to do.

I think there are some rules about gifts to postal workers, though. Does anyone know?

I use to work for the Postal Service and i can tell you that they are not supposed to get tips, giving a card is okay but in the handbook they are not supposed to recieve tips, they only take them to not be rude.

I used to work as a clerk, and the carriers would come in laughing about all their gifts from their routes whereas those of us who worked all night hauling around huge containers of mail got nothing. The city carriers got the same wages we received. I think starting pay for a city carrier is something like $27,000 right now.

Rural Carriers are basically independent contractors, so their pay was lower. Rural Carrier Associates are substitute carriers that get very low pay, and few hours.

As for home-baked goods, I wouldn't eat them unless I know the family. There are a lot of people who aren't, well, let's just say clean. How do I know if they are the kind to wash their hands before preparing food? There are some people that have pets in the house and have no qualms about petting the dog in the middle of food prep or letting the cat walk on the counters. I'd rather throw away the food.

As for home-baked goods, I wouldn't eat them unless I know the family. There are a lot of people who aren't, well, let's just say clean. How do I know if they are the kind to wash their hands before preparing food? There are some people that have pets in the house and have no qualms about petting the dog in the middle of food prep or letting the cat walk on the counters. I'd rather throw away the food.

:scared: I remember back in my preMom life, I worked with a girl who had a boxer. She told us how she let her dog lick the spoon and bowls. :sick: As she was laying down a tray of home made cupcakes. Needless to say, they stayed there all week, untouched.

Unfortunately, Elem. teachers end up with 25 gifts and those of us who teach High School *might* get a gift or two......but really I am not complaining.....it just was always interesting to meet with my friend who teaches 2nd grade. She had her dining room table overflowing with gifts every Christmas. Very different.

But I agree with the poster who said a personal card is much more fulfilling than a gift. I still have a folder full of personal notes and cards students wrote YEARS ago....and whenever I need a little self esteem boost, I read them again. I have only a few items that were actual gifts were saved.

I don't give to the mailman, garbage guys, or any other service like that. The mailman should just be lucky I don't report horrible service and messed up mail with the neighbors on a fairly regular basis! The garbage guys leave huge messes. I don't get the paper.

Dawn

Please don't assume that ALL elementary teachers get gifts like that! Here, the schools in the higher income areas might, but since I have always driven across town to a school where most kids are just surviving every day, we have not. If anything, a note from a parent is what is appreciated. Sometimes the child will go to the dollar store and buy a little something. One time a parent bought supplies for my classroom and wrapped them up. What I love most is when my kids come up and thank me or write a little crayon written note. That is what matters to me...and I would NEVER go to any other school (have been there almost 30 years!!) :woohoo:

Sorry-I opened up a whole new can of worms, hey?
I give a gift to the school bus drivers because I personally think they have a tough job. Also, I appreciate not having to drive my kids to and from school each day. The bus is like a free taxi!! I couldn't even imagine trying to drive a bus with 60 kids on it.....I would need headache medicine each day for sure!
It is a thankless job I'm sure. I also give Halloween candy to them on Halloween, Easter candy for Easter, etc....just to show we care, and that they are not forgotten about.
This is very sweet of you!

I don't tip the mailperson because, like others have said, ours is different all the time.

I wouldn't know how to tip the garbage men because I am usually not here when they come. Even if I wanted to give them a Christmas card, what do you do when you are not home? I'm asking seriously because I would probably do this. I certainly won't tape it to the garbage can! And ours do get out and empty it themselves. Plus one actually bought my old dining room table I had posted on craigslist. It was a funny coincidence when his wife said, "I think my husband is your garbage man."

Teachers obviously get gifts--homebaked something or GC depending on how well I know them, as do bus drivers. Anyone who takes care of my child gets a gift as they have the most important people to me in their care. :goodvibes

:scared: I remember back in my preMom life, I worked with a girl who had a boxer. She told us how she let her dog lick the spoon and bowls. :sick: As she was laying down a tray of home made cupcakes. Needless to say, they stayed there all week, untouched.

OMG! :sick: You just reminded me of something I saw at a strawberry festival. The booth next to us was selling strawberry shortcake. They looked clean, wearing golves, posted their inspection. I guess their dog had been napping cause I had not seen him, but he just walked into their booth. Each time after serving, the lady would put her hands to her side and her dog would lick off the extra shortcake. I just sat there stunned...she never changed gloves or anything. :sick: :sick: :sick:

Off topic: I have gotten really weird lately about homemade goods at craft shows or folks who bake cakes at home. Around here you are supposed to have a permit from the health dept and you can't get one for a home kitchen unless you have really done some serious upgrades....then you will get in trouble for running a business in your house. :sad2:

I put a Starbucks cup in the mailbox with a gift card in it.

Don't leave the garbage guys a tip. But, during the hot summer months I will pack a plastic sand pail with ice and two bottles of water and set it on top of one of the garbage cans. This always disappears and the plastic pail is neatly set on the ground, so I assume they enjoy it.

We get a mailer that we don't subscribe to or especially want thrown somewhere on our property every Friday. Zero service. That shows up with an envelope from our delivery person the first week in Dec. I don't fill the envelope--just recycle it with the rest of the paper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter