• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

O'Hanas

It's really frustrating that Ohana is so booked for dinner. We just made our ADRs this morning for our trip starting August 20th, and the only night we could get dinner there before 8:50 was our last night, the 27th, when we got a 5:25 pm reservation. This is doubly frustrating as we are staying at the Poly and a big selling point was Ohana! I'll keep calling back, but I'm not too hopeful.

It is so frustrating. We are also staying at the poly.

The only thing that I will tell you is we ate there last Aug on our last night and loved it. It was a great way to end a perfect vacation.

We eat at Ohana every trip...thats what gets my dh to wdw! lol I have never had any trouble getting a ADR there for whatever time I want to go...but we do not go during free dining.I would rather use my AP discount on the room and pay for dining then deal with the problems that come along with fighting the crowds of people for free dining.
That is awful having to take a ADR for Ohana at 8:50 at night!It takes some time to eat there...I would be asleep on the table by the time it was done.The last time we went I mad the ADR for 8 pm thinking it was not to late and ALL of us were cranky and to tired to really enjoy it...we rushed through and didnt even ask for dessert!We are going the first week on june and I mad all our ADRS for between 6pm and 7pm.
we got= le cellier (sp?) 6pm
ohana 7pm
1900 park fare (breakfast) 8 am
afternoon tea GF 4:50 (same day as sit down breakfast) for light dinner
kona 6:45 pm
margaritaville (at universal city walk)

We eat at Ohana every trip...thats what gets my dh to wdw! lol I have never had any trouble getting a ADR there for whatever time I want to go...but we do not go during free dining.I would rather use my AP discount on the room and pay for dining then deal with the problems that come along with fighting the crowds of people for free dining.
That is awful having to take a ADR for Ohana at 8:50 at night!It takes some time to eat there...I would be asleep on the table by the time it was done.The last time we went I mad the ADR for 8 pm thinking it was not to late and ALL of us were cranky and to tired to really enjoy it...we rushed through and didnt even ask for dessert!We are going the first week on june and I mad all our ADRS for between 6pm and 7pm.
we got= le cellier (sp?) 6pm
ohana 7pm
1900 park fare (breakfast) 8 am
afternoon tea GF 4:50 (same day as sit down breakfast) for light dinner
kona 6:45 pm
margaritaville (at universal city walk)

You are correct. I wouldn't want to go during free dining. We are going the week before the free dining starts. We were hoping it wouldn't be as crazy. Doesn't look that way, but honestly who cares we will be in Disney!!!!:banana:

I got Ohanna for 4:30pm August 20th. It's a bit early for us but I've never had dinner there so am looking forward to it. Keep trying.

I thought their first reservations started at 5pm. Maybe they had to move the hours for the crowd. Anyway, I just wanted to add, keep calling back. At 90 days out I didn't have to many options available. My big one to get was Chefs de France and after several phone calls I finally got it. I'm one of those that do not want to eat at 8. It would be fine for DH and I but not for the little one. Most all of our meals are between 5 and 6 pm. Ohana, Chefs, 1900 Park Fare, Boma, etc.

I'm going 8/7-8/15 and we got 6:30pm on 8/17/09.

I guess I have gotten spoiled! Other trips we have dined at 'Ohana's 2-3 times per trip with NO problem. Not the case this year! I called on day 90 and there was NOTHING for dinner at 'Ohana between 08/18 and 08/26!! Easily snagged dinner at Le Cellier but no such luck for 'Ohana.

I called back later that same day and was told that there was 1 time/day available, 9:30 pm, and I grabbed it. We LOVE the late ressies because we are West Coasters so 9:30 is like eating dinner at 6:30 on our body clocks. Plus Wishes is at 10:00 that night so we can watch it while we eat.

Maybe they need to start opening for lunch??

MANY are saying that if the CM put in a time RANGE versus a specific TIME they got very different results. SO I would personally CALL back and go by 15 minute intervals at least three times to see for an opening.

Bottom line....Ohana is basically booked solid from Aug 20th - 26th, I don't see how asking for a specific time is going to help.

IMHO the real issue is that Disney's "free" dining (and if you believe it's really free I would like to sell you some swamp land right next to Epcot) has effectively encouraged more people in booking table service meals. That's good news for Disney because now they can effectively "overbook" their restaurants (much like the airlines purposely overbook their flights) to ensure maximum capacities. It's bad news for folks who on Day one of their 90 day window cannot dine at Ohana. That would have to be particularly bitter pill to swallow if you were actually staying at the Poly and really wanted to eat at Ohana.

My best friend made reservations for my birthday August 19th and we are eating at 8:50pm which seems to be the popular time here. She also made it on the 90 day mark but the agent said there was an earlier time around 6pm but I wanted to be there for Wishes so...and we are also a party of 12.

And for whoever asked about getting kicked out...you don't. My bff and I went for the first time on April 28th, her birthday, and we didn't sit down until about 9pm. (We didn't have reservations, we took a chance and walked up because one, there was only 3 of us and two, it was my bff's birthday) They didn't kick us out...we didn't get our dessert until about ten and even then they came out and sang happy birthday to the birthday girl. We were the only ones left but they didn't rush us at all.

I can't wait to celebrate my birthday there!!!

Bottom line....Ohana is basically booked solid from Aug 20th - 26th, I don't see how asking for a specific time is going to help.

Yup. I would kill for a 9:00. I could not get Ohana at ANY time 8/21-24. Completely booked four nights in a row!!!! It's maddening! That was our #1 choice, so I am very upset. (Especially because I called at 6:59 this morning but got transferred to the wrong agent, who said she couldn't book for me, so I got put in line behind everyone who had called at 7:15)

IMHO the real issue is that Disney's "free" dining (and if you believe it's really free I would like to sell you some swamp land right next to Epcot) has effectively encouraged more people in booking table service meals. That's good news for Disney because now they can effectively "overbook" their restaurants (much like the airlines purposely overbook their flights) to ensure maximum capacities. It's bad news for folks who on Day one of their 90 day window cannot dine at Ohana. That would have to be particularly bitter pill to swallow if you were actually staying at the Poly and really wanted to eat at Ohana.
I'm interested in some of that land!!! I have "booked "trips at "regular" price for years,and it is certainly cheaper without "paying" for the DDP!!!:confused3 Enlighten me, please!!

I'm interested in some of that land!!! I have "booked "trips at "regular" price for years,and it is certainly cheaper without "paying" for the DDP!!!:confused3 Enlighten me, please!!

Tell you what Don, have your people call my people and we will see what we can do to get you into that swamp land by the weekend. ;)

First of all, I'm not trying to bash those of you who like/participate in free dining. The way a CM explained it to me is that in order to get free dining you have to purchase a magic your way package for a minimum of 3 nights and everyone in our party must buy a one day magic your way base ticket.

So essentially Disney requires a base payment of the package and tickets in order to engage in this promotion. For the sake of argument, let's say you pay Disney $500. My assertion is that a portion of that payment is being used to subsidize your "free dining". Think about it, as consumers we don't have a detailed breakdown of Disney's costs. I believe it's difficult to assess what is actually free, if you do not know what it costs Disney to provide the free services in question.

At best I think free dining is actually "discounted" dining. But "discounted" dining doesn't sound as good as "free dining". I also believe that Disney understands that whatever dollars are given away via "free" dining will be recouped with the increase in attendance. From a business perspective this free dining promotion is sheer genius because EVERYONE loves the concept of getting something for free.

Again, I'm not trying to knock the free dining program. I will readily admit when it comes to business I have always been skeptical whenever a business claims they are giving me something for free. Disney did not become an iconic, Fortune 500 company by giving away anything for free.

Let's be honest, Disney would charge you for the oxygen you breathe in their park if they felt the profit margins would be favorable and consumers would let them get away with it. I can see Disney's new "free oxygen" promotion hitting their airwaves anytime now.

Forgive my skepticism, I got up at 4:00am this morning in order to make ADRs and I'm feeling it. :thumbsup2

Tell you what Don, have your people call my people and we will see what we can do to get you into that swamp land by the weekend. ;)

First of all, I'm not trying to bash those of you who like/participate in free dining. The way a CM explained it to me is that in order to get free dining you have to purchase a magic your way package for a minimum of 3 nights and everyone in our party must buy a one day magic your way base ticket.

So essentially Disney requires a base payment of the package and tickets in order to engage in this promotion. For the sake of argument, let's say you pay Disney $500. My assertion is that a portion of that payment is being used to subsidize your "free dining". Think about it, as consumers we don't have a detailed breakdown of Disney's costs. I believe it's difficult to assess what is actually free, if you do not know what it costs Disney to provide the free services in question.

At best I think free dining is actually "discounted" dining. But "discounted" dining doesn't sound as good as "free dining". I also believe that Disney understands that whatever dollars are given away via "free" dining will be recouped with the increase in attendance. From a business perspective this free dining promotion is sheer genius because EVERYONE loves the concept of getting something for free.

Again, I'm not trying to knock the free dining program. I will readily admit when it comes to business I have always been skeptical whenever a business claims they are giving me something for free. Disney did not become an iconic, Fortune 500 company by giving away anything for free.

Let's be honest, Disney would charge you for the oxygen you breathe in their park if they felt the profit margins would be favorable and consumers would let them get away with it. I can see Disney's new "free oxygen" promotion hitting their airwaves anytime now.

Forgive my skepticism, I got up at 4:00am this morning in order to make ADRs and I'm feeling it. :thumbsup2

You hit the nail on the head.

But we are all suckers for a deal:laughing:!!!!!!!!

I don't know - I saved $240.89 (mileage varies by person and situation) and got 9 days of free dining to boot.

Here is how:

Original Package
$1076.79 (hotel for 18 nights at POP Century 40% off Military Rate)
$1840.00 (4 adt Annual Passes Shades of Green Rate)
$ 178.00 (2 Military Universal Passes) (2 free Universal & 4 Free Sea World)

Package as it is booked now
$556.28 (hotel for 9 nights at POP Century Military Rate)
$1822.62 (hotel for 9 nights at POP, 4 -8 Day Disney MYW Passes, 9 days on Dining Plan)
$ 297.00 (1 Free Military 5 day Disney Pass & 3 Military 5 Day Companion Disney)

Comparison of packages
$3094.79 – Original Package
$2853.90 – New Package

Plus these amounts (all aprox - TS based on what we would have spent with no dining plan - no desserts, etc.
$ 360.00 Lunch Counter Service Savings ($10 x4 =$40 x 9= $360.00) aprox.
$1052.02 Dinner (Crystal Palace 123.50, Boma 114.98, Ohana 114.98, Biergarten 136.28, 1900 Park Fare 127.76, Whispering Canyon 127.76, Cape May 127.76, LeCellier 110.00 (approx), Mama Melrose 69.00 (approx)
$ 90.00 Snacks ($2.50 per snack x 4=$10 x 9= $90 Snacks can be up to about 4.50)

So by changing the package around and since I had to buy a 1 day pass anyway, we decided to do the military 5 day Disney tickets. We saved over $200 just on the package. The food for those 9 days is indeed free, and in fact we would have eaten mostly TS for the CS on the DP. We normally only eat a few CS and purchase the Tables in Wonderland discount card. We also saved the money on the TiW card and the extra money we would have spent on TS for lunch instead of eating at the CS each day during the Free Dining.

I don't know - I saved $240.89 (mileage varies by person and situation) and got 9 days of free dining to boot.

Here is how:

Original Package
$1076.79 (hotel for 18 nights at POP Century 40% off Military Rate)
$1840.00 (4 adt Annual Passes Shades of Green Rate)

Package as it is booked now
$556.28 (hotel for 9 nights at POP Century Military Rate)
$1822.62 (hotel for 9 nights at POP, 4 -8 Day Disney MYW Passes, 9 days on Dining Plan)
$ 297.00 (1 Free Military 5 day Disney Pass & 3 Military 5 Day Companion Disney)

Comparison of packages
$3094.79 – Original Package
$2853.90 – New Package

Plus these amounts (all aprox - TS based on what we would have spent with no dining plan - no desserts, etc.
$ 360.00 Lunch Counter Service Savings ($10 x4 =$40 x 9= $360.00) aprox.
$1052.02 Dinner (Crystal Palace 123.50, Boma 114.98, Ohana 114.98, Biergarten 136.28, 1900 Park Fare 127.76, Whispering Canyon 127.76, Cape May 127.76, LeCellier 110.00 (approx), Mama Melrose 69.00 (approx)
$ 90.00 Snacks ($2.50 per snack x 4=$10 x 9= $90 Snacks can be up to about 4.50)

So by changing the package around and since I had to buy a 1 day pass anyway, we decided to do the military 5 day Disney tickets. We saved over $200 just on the package. The food for those 9 days is indeed free, and in fact we would have eaten mostly TS for the CS on the DP. We normally only eat a few CS and purchase the Tables in Wonderland discount card. We also saved the money on the TiW card and the extra money we would have spent on TS for lunch instead of eating at the CS each day during the Free Dining.

Melanie it definetely sounds as if you have saved money. Just from what you posted, it looks as if a good chunk of change was saved by your military discount as much as free dining.

I would also mention that this whole discussion of whether free dining is actually free or not somewhat hinges on an approximation of what you would have eaten and what it may have cost if you did not have the plan.

I guess at the end of the day "free" is a relative word. Disney wouldn't offer this program if they did not believe they were going to recoup their costs. Just imagine the company's profit margins on items like t-shirts, toys, and games. I would be willing to bet the mark up on those items is insane, and Disney knows that if they get you in the park you will spend your cash on a number of product and services that generate astronomical profit margins.

You know at the end of the day I guess it really doesn't matter if free dining is "free" or not. Truth is we are all going to Disney and we are all going to spend a ton of cash. Enjoy your trip. :thumbsup2

I got an o'hanas on 8/16 I think around 5ish. I have to cancel because I had to get a flight a day later. Was hoping to rebook looks like I may be out of luck.

we are staying CL poly 8/9-8/16 they got all our ressies except ohana. i immed. called myself and was able to book on 8/14 at 530

I got an o'hanas on 8/16 I think around 5ish. I have to cancel because I had to get a flight a day later. Was hoping to rebook looks like I may be out of luck.

You should look to see if anyone wants to trade with you. I would say you have a pretty coveted ADR and many people have taken later times than they wanted.

You know at the end of the day I guess it really doesn't matter if free dining is "free" or not. Truth is we are all going to Disney and we are all going to spend a ton of cash. Enjoy your trip. :thumbsup2[/QUOTE] Amen Brother!!:goodvibes

We had REALLY bad weather this last week, as in Monsoon like rains and thunderstorms so we were hoping people wouldnt show up for their ADRS at OHana.

We called a million times to get ressies and were told it was totally booked solid, and not to bother going we will get turned away as a walk up.

We went, waited over an hour and we did get in. We were at the bar we heard them telling people 2 hour wait and then telling people no more walk ups, so it did fill up REALLY quickly. They REALLY discouraged walk ups, they give you a pager thay only works on that floor and then they tell you its a 1-2 hour wait. And it was! But it was bad weather so we waitied and had some yummy drinks. The food was AWESOME we loved Ohanas.

I think they need to start opening earlier for lunch to spread out the ressies. :) If its that popular, make it bigger or extend the hours!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter