• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohanas late dinner?

1disneynutt

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever had a late dinner at Ohanas? I have a ressie for 8:50pm which is way later than I normally eat. Is the food still pretty good and can you see Wishes if you have a window seat. Would really like to get an earlier time but am having trouble, no openings. Thanks:)

I only know 2 people that have gone that later and even later. They both said food WAS good, but BOTH said service was slower and they saw no "show" and it was not the same atmosphere.

Keep calling back, people DO cancel. Also, try the "swap" thread, some LIKE to eat that late (I am an early eater actually so I totally understand).

I would not give up and just keep trying, you have nothing to lose....

Best Of Luck!
I really like the place, going this visit too!

I agree that the service was slower later in the evening and was a disappointment to us. But we did get to see WISHES. They dim the lights and pipe in the soundtrack. It is beautiful if you are lucky enough to have a seat with a view of the castle.

We ate there very late (~9 p.m.) two years ago, and were very disappointed. The meat was very dry and tasted like lighter fluid.

Our then-ten-year-old son was exhausted and grumpy, and all-in-all, it was a mistake to go that late. :sad2:

It actually turned us off on the restaurant entirely. We're not going back there on our next visit.

We've always tried to eat late actually and rarely do a res before 9pm. I haven't found that teh service is any different. The hula lady walked around some towards the beginning of our dinner but it gradually became quieter and much more of a romantic type atmosphere. I like it, though I think if you are taking kids, you may want to try to change for a little earlier for the hula lady

Me and my boyfriend had ADRs at 9:10 for 'Ohana last Saturday night. I'm vegan and he's vegetarian, so I can't comment on the quality of the meat that was served. We had a special meal made for us, so it was fresh.

The kids (as well as some big kids!) did the coconut races, and a lady with a ukelele walked around singing. She was asking people who were celebrating to get up and dance. Everyone that danced got a lei. She was gone about 30 minutes before official closing time for the restaurant (10:00), but many diners remained after that time.

At 10:00, the lights were dimed and the music for Wishes was piped in. We were in the back of the room, but we could still see the castle and the fireworks.

I have nothing to compare it to, but our service wasn't slow. I would say it was above-average, and our server was very nice.

It was a lot of fun! I would definitely eat a late dinner at 'Ohana again. I loved seeing the fireworks, and our food and service was great. Go and have a good time :thumbsup2

Thank you for the encouragement! I was stressing for weeks prior to making my ressies and was now stressing about this! I am done, what will be will be! LOL

My best friend and I ate at ohana late...just a few minutes before 9pm and found no problem at all. Granted it was the first time we had dined there but the food was absolutely delicious. Nothing dry about any of it, all very fresh and had us talking about it even today...we went April 28th and we are going back on my birthday August 19th and we also have a 8:50pm ressies...I'm not worried. :)

Last year I called and called trying to change my time. We ended up with the 9:15 at Ohana and we LOVED it. We sat by the window, they filtered in the music from Wishes and we were able to see the entire show. It was a night my children still talk about :goodvibes. The food was great and they did not rush us out.

I find it amazing how late people eat dinner.
Last year, my husband and I had 8:50 diner reservations for Ohana, thinking the place would be like a ghost town.
Boy were we wrong. We checked in behind a pile of other people waiting to get in. All the chairs in the lobby were filled with families waiting to get in. It looked like they were waiting a long time....
We just sat at the bar and had drinks while we waited. I think we waited about a half hour before we actually got called to be seated.
But we had a blast at the bar people watching. :goodvibes ( we dont get out much);)

Last year, my husband and I had 8:50 diner reservations for Ohana, thinking the place would be like a ghost town.
Boy were we wrong.

It's not late for West Coasters. We recently moved our east, so our past trips have been from Wa state and we prefered the late dinners as it was only 6:30 to us. True we had been up early but, in our minds (and watches) it wasn't as late.

We always get a late slot (8:45 +) so that we can watch Wishes. I think that the service speed will vary like any other place, so you just need to keep it in mind. The food has almost always been good quality and hot (the exception was one of the times that they changed the menu right before our trip:rolleyes:), and as for the entertainment, it's only atmosphere to us. So we can take it or leave it. We go for the relaxing environemnt, view, and for DH's jumbo shrimp.

I haven't made my dinner reservations yet, BUT I actually planned on eating late at Ohana because I would love to see Wishes. I just hope that there are still the coconut races, etc for kids since we are going with 3!

What time would you suggest I aim to make reservations for if we want to stay and see Wishes?

Boy were we wrong. We checked in behind a pile of other people waiting to get in. All the chairs in the lobby were filled with families waiting to get in. It looked like they were waiting a long time....
We just sat at the bar and had drinks while we waited. I think we waited about a half hour before we actually got called to be seated.
But we had a blast at the bar people watching. :goodvibes ( we dont get out much);)

I was inline to check-in for a 5:00 seating at 'Ohana. It opens at 5 and I was 5th or 6th in line(I had an ADR) and the people in front of us were walk ups, the cast member told them it would be an hour and a half till they could be seated. It just blew my mind that at opening they were already completely booked.

I just booked a 4:35 diner reservation in Aug. but the menu says they open at 5. Does it open earlier than listed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter