• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana

we have been to Ohana multiple times with no problems....

Everyone has their own opinion of dinners.... we will not go back to Le Cellier and most people rave about it.

If you have never been, it is worth trying once. :)

Ohana's is our MUST DO every trip! We love the food, experience and if you haven't had the bread pudding..... YUUUUMMMMMM!!!!

This will be our first time at Ohana's too this summer. We have been to Disney lots of times and I want to try new places we have never eaten before.

I will be the judge to what I like. I have found in the past that reviews that have not been favorable I enjoyed so don't let one bad review ruin something you may like.

Plus, the way I see it is that Kevin and John food snobs (in a good way) because they get to try everything. They have higher standards then me so what they think is horrible I find yummy, lol. :)

Can you see Wishes from inside Ohana or do you have to sit on the beach?

Depends on where you're sitting.

There are tables that offer a view of Wishes (right up against the window in the main Room), but not many.

I wouldn't book the restaurant thinking you're going to get one of those tables, though. It would be a nice bit of pixie dust, but if you're set on seeing Wishes at the Poly...I'd plan to be on the beach.

Just like at the Contemps California Grill...those tables turn over VERY slowly as Wishes approaches.

I listened to the podcast yesterday, and I must say that based on my experiences at 'Ohana, it seems as if John and Kevin could have been sitting at my table, or vice versa. Absolutely no timing whatsoever to the meal. No consideration is given to where you are in one course as it relates to the server heaping the next course on you. The food was sticky, gooey, overly sweet, and when it comes to the meat, you pray for food that is hot, and then consider it a blessing if the meat you are served resembles anything close to the degree of doneness that you requested. The "all you care to eat" concept is befuddled by the limited amount that they brought for "seconds" and the time it takes to get their attention to bring you more. In essence, once you are seated and your first tranche of food is delivered, you become forgotten. This is nothing like a traditional restaurant where you have a server who acts as your liason to the kitchen. Instead, you get a "food delivery cousin" who moves on to the next table as soon as you are tossed your first two courses.

Yes, experiences differ. But John and Kevin's experience so closely mirrors my two (and only) visits, that I have to believe that I wasn't imagining my poor experience when I was there. Others experience it as well. Good luck to those who go, as your visit may be totally different. But you won't have me to compete with when you are fighting for your ADR.

I have had some good and not so good experiences at Ohana. We just went this past Tuesday, it was my daughter's only meal request. It was excellent both in both quality and service this past trip.

Our first time at 'Ohana we had a very early reservation - close to 5:00. The service was top notch and the food was great; it was our favorite meal of that trip. Our second time we had a later reservation, but still relatively early, before 6:30 for sure. The service was very haphazard and the meat was dry and not very good. We won't pay OOP for it again, but we might be willing to try it again if we were on the DDP.

I went for the first time last year. I bought into all the hype and everything. While, the food was good, the service was just beyond maddening.

I guess the table we were sat at, was just at the end of where a skewer would run out, and instead of starting from where they finished, they'd go back to the beginning.

The pacing outside of the meats was fine.

Got the bread.

Drinks placed.

Drinks & Salad come out.

Then came the Chicken Wings and Pot Stickers like 10-15 minutes later.

Then 15 minutes after that came the Noodles and Broccoli.

Then it was like 30-45 minutes before the meat finally came around.

What made it awkward was like 2 minutes after the salad was delivered a lady with the shrimp came by, and we told her no thanks because we were still having the opening salad.

I LOVE it but my husband does not! He says the meat is always overcooked. This next trip we're going to try Kona Cafe instead.

Ohana is a fun tradition for our family--breakfast and dinner. It is not always consistent but it is always good. The thing we like the most is our family always has a great time. In addition, they are great about catering to our finicky eaters even now that they are considered Disney adults. One of my children has gotten pasta marinara, one hot dogs, mac and cheese, fries. You may think why go there to eat those items. We are happy the whole family can be accommodated when the menu may not be appealing to all in the party. Everyone gets to eat. Then dessert is delicious as well. If for some reason, someone in the party does not want the bread pudding (yes that happens) they will offer something else as well. We have been very pleased with Ohana. :goodvibes

There were a few reasons we did not really enjoy 'Ohana when we went last summer. Many of them had nothing to do with the restaurant so I won't go into it. Our waiter was only meh, our older son got stuck up in the kids' area for 45 minutes, the food was okay but we weren't impressed...but the biggest issue was that unfortunately our youngest didn't like anything offered. He just wouldn't eat. At the time, I did not know that you could ask for something off the menu, and our waiter never mentioned it. If he had just said we could have nuggets or pasta or whatever, it would have been fine.

Anyway, we won't go back. But I know a lot of people love it.

John and Kevin's review matches NEARLY EXACTLY my experience at Ohana last September. We wanted to love it. We were ready to love it. But alas, I hated it and DH found it to be meh at best. It was our "kick-off" ressie to start our vacation, and we headed straight there right after checking into our room at BLT.

The lobby was a zoo. An absolute madhouse. But we knew the place was popular, so that didn't really matter. We showed up about 20 minutes before our ADR and wound up waiting a good 30+ AFTER our ADR time to be seated.

We were seated a table right next to where the meat is cooked...and also RIGHT on the "racetrack" where they parade the children around. So twice during our meal we were bumped and jostled and crowded by a horde of kids and their parents trying to convince crying/screaming kids to join the fun.

As others mentioned, there was no timing to the food. Things just started being plopped down on the table to the point their was no room for anything.

The noodles were gummy and nearly cold. The broccoli was...well..just broccoli. The pot stickers were crunchy and over done. The wings were okay. The meats were tough, rubbery and all marinaded in some God awful sticky sweet stuff. I heard afterwards that I could have requested the meat unmarinaded. The dipping sauces were blech (except the peanut one).

The dessert was meh, but better than the meal itself.

On the plus side, our waiter was super friendly and attentive and brought refills of drinks etc.

In the end we won't bother with it again.

We went for dinner one night and we LOVED it. My kids would not eat the food offered and I asked if they could have some mac n cheese instead and our server said 'this is disney, they can have whatever they want'. . . and that my friends is a disney answer. He got my children mac n cheese why my husband and I attempted to make a dent in the food brought. Hubby loved the wings, we both liked the potstickers, I ate a lot of the salad, the noodles were good. . .and by the time the meat came around I was pretty much full. I did not care for the shrimp (spoiled by growing up on the water), and while no, it's not Shula's . . .it was certainly good. The bread pudding was amazing, and while my husband thought he'd hate it, now he can't wait to go back to have it again.

We were never rushed, we did not mind children being noisy, thought the parade was cute, and I liked the singer.

Don't go there if you don't want a musical dinner and don't like children. They make a fuss over the children there, we did not think that was a bad thing.

We went for breakfast one morning too, and also had excellent service and food. Our platter was replenished with whatever was depleted, drinks kept full, characters were friendly and attentive.

I've reserved us two breakfasts and one dinner for next time. I hope it's as good the next times we go.

My family and I love Ohana! Everyone has different taste and likes things a certain way. The only way youd know is if you try it on your own! I heard a lot of bad reviews about coral reef restaurant so I cancelled our ressie well a couple yrs later we didn't have any ressie for dinner and decided to try it well we loved it and thought the food was excellent! You just never know intill you try it! ;)

We've been to Ohana several times and love it! We love the laid back atmosphere. Breakfast is outstanding and such a great character meal. We went for dinner for the first time over spring break and it was fun too. I did think the pork was overcooked but everything else was delicious and the bread pudding was incredible. After being there a few times though, I do know to plan to wait awhile for our table. I just use that as an excuse to indulge on the fruity drinks :thumbsup2

YES this was my experience too!
I listened to the podcast yesterday, and I must say that based on my experiences at 'Ohana, it seems as if John and Kevin could have been sitting at my table, or vice versa. Absolutely no timing whatsoever to the meal. No consideration is given to where you are in one course as it relates to the server heaping the next course on you. The food was sticky, gooey, overly sweet, and when it comes to the meat, you pray for food that is hot, and then consider it a blessing if the meat you are served resembles anything close to the degree of doneness that you requested. The "all you care to eat" concept is befuddled by the limited amount that they brought for "seconds" and the time it takes to get their attention to bring you more. In essence, once you are seated and your first tranche of food is delivered, you become forgotten. This is nothing like a traditional restaurant where you have a server who acts as your liason to the kitchen. Instead, you get a "food delivery cousin" who moves on to the next table as soon as you are tossed your first two courses.

Yes, experiences differ. But John and Kevin's experience so closely mirrors my two (and only) visits, that I have to believe that I wasn't imagining my poor experience when I was there. Others experience it as well. Good luck to those who go, as your visit may be totally different. But you won't have me to compete with when you are fighting for your ADR.

And this!
John and Kevin's review matches NEARLY EXACTLY my experience at Ohana last September. We wanted to love it. We were ready to love it. But alas, I hated it and DH found it to be meh at best. It was our "kick-off" ressie to start our vacation, and we headed straight there right after checking into our room at BLT.

The lobby was a zoo. An absolute madhouse. But we knew the place was popular, so that didn't really matter. We showed up about 20 minutes before our ADR and wound up waiting a good 30+ AFTER our ADR time to be seated.

We were seated a table right next to where the meat is cooked...and also RIGHT on the "racetrack" where they parade the children around. So twice during our meal we were bumped and jostled and crowded by a horde of kids and their parents trying to convince crying/screaming kids to join the fun.

As others mentioned, there was no timing to the food. Things just started being plopped down on the table to the point their was no room for anything.

The noodles were gummy and nearly cold. The broccoli was...well..just broccoli. The pot stickers were crunchy and over done. The wings were okay. The meats were tough, rubbery and all marinaded in some God awful sticky sweet stuff. I heard afterwards that I could have requested the meat unmarinaded. The dipping sauces were blech (except the peanut one).

The dessert was meh, but better than the meal itself.

On the plus side, our waiter was super friendly and attentive and brought refills of drinks etc.

In the end we won't bother with it again.

Honestly, the food is not very good. I would not go again. The only good thing about the experience is the atmosphere. Its a very pretty restaurant. But thats the only good thing I can say about it. Wings were slimy, the quality of meat was bad, pork was nasty, noodles and pot stickers were dry. I can go on and on.

Breakfast on the other hand was great! but we're not talking about breakfast, we're talking about dinner. :)

Just ate there on 5/11 and we loved it. In fact it was my friend's favorite of the 8 restaurants where we dined including Narcoossee's and Yachtsman Steakhouse! (I enjoyed it, but give me Narc's and YS anytime!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter