• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana walk up?

ahall4disney

Earning My Ears
My husband is making a special, last minute trip to Disney for his birthday and REALLY wants to dine at Ohana. He told me he didn't think he would be able to afford it, which broke my heart. So, as part of his birthday gift, I was going to give him a gift card with 'Ohana dinner money' on it and make him a ressie for Jan 25 at 715 (he loves watching Wishes from there). Now that I have the gift card, I can't get him a ressie AT ALL the week he's going! If him and his buddy do a 'walk up' what are his chances of getting a table? It IS his birthday after all!!:cool1:

Even with an ADR, the wait is an hour or more. I would say the chances are slim. You can keep checking for last minute cancellations, but I'd get him an ADR somewhere else if there is another place he would like.

I'd keep trying to get something. I just tried yesterday for my family on 2/11 and was able to find something at O'hana the 5 of us. You just never know when things will open up.

It's hit or miss, miss being more prevalent, and for that matter I'd keep calling to see about cancellations. In October we had an ADR for breakfast and a family of 4 inquired about a walk-in as I was checking us in. Low and behold, they were seated right next to us at the same time we were seated.

I just checked that day and found a 9:25pm for 2...Just keep trying and may Pixie Dust land on your Computer! :goodvibes

It really is hit or miss, but it doesn't hurt to try. Make sure he gets there early to put his name in.

Thanks SO much Disers!! I knew I could count on you guys! I went a head and made a 7pm ressie at Kona Cafe. I figure he before the ressie, he can walk over to Ohana, and just check for a walk up. If not, he will still have a great meal at Kona, and he can watch Wishes from the beach if he's finished eating in time. How does that sound??

Your plan sounds good. In my experience, my fiance and I did a walk-up. We got there about about ten minutes before they opened. They told us it might be a three-hour wait. We decided to wait for a bit and see if we got lucky. Twelve minutes after they opened, we were called up! My in-laws, however, waited two hours for a walk-up. Personally, I would wait 2 hours for Ohana too, but I don't know if your husband would mind.

Someone on the boards elsewhere suggested trying different apps for making disney reservations, which might have tables reserved for those app companies.

Good luck!

Keep checking! I just booked for Jan 21 and let my 8pm ADR go. Any chance his b'day is Jan 21? Anyway, I checked earlier and nothing, waited an hour, checked again and BINGO! I scored Jan 21 at 645 pm. So I cancelled my 8pm. Good luck, and do keep checking.

Last month, 6 of us did a walk up at Ohana's and got it. However, we were there right when they opened and we waited approx 30 mins. If he really wants Ohanas I would get there either right when they open or later in the evening (8 or 8:30)

Thanks SO much Disers!! I knew I could count on you guys! I went a head and made a 7pm ressie at Kona Cafe. I figure he before the ressie, he can walk over to Ohana, and just check for a walk up. If not, he will still have a great meal at Kona, and he can watch Wishes from the beach if he's finished eating in time. How does that sound??

Do NOT wait until just before your Kona ADR to check for a walk-up at 'Ohana. If you're going to have any shot at 'Ohana, you have to get there prior to when they open for dinner (5 p.m.). If you arrive any time after that, there's little to no chance they'll take you.

Keep checking for an ADR though!

I agree with the suggestion to keep trying. I'd especially be sure to check a couple days before because with the new cancellation penalty, anyone who booked with a cc hold would have to cancel by then to avoid the fee. Good luck!:goodvibes

Get to Ohana 30 min before they open. And be the first at the podium. I have done this and got in at 5:30. So what I had a piña colada in the poly and had to walk around the ceremonial house for an hour, it was tough I tell ya.... To try to see everything that lobby has! It was totally worth it.

Do NOT wait until just before your Kona ADR to check for a walk-up at 'Ohana. If you're going to have any shot at 'Ohana, you have to get there prior to when they open for dinner (5 p.m.). If you arrive any time after that, there's little to no chance they'll take you.

Keep checking for an ADR though!

I agree with this. I wanted to get some sushi to go from the sushi bar when I was there in Dec, so was hanging around for them to open. While I was waiting, I wandered over to the Ohana side and noticed they now have two lines at the check in podium over closer to the elevator side. One line is for people with ADRs and the other line is for people hoping for a walk up. As I was waiting for the sushi bar to open, I noticed that line for walk ups was getting longer and longer. By the time the sushi bar opened and I walked back over there to order, the stand by line for Ohanas extended all the way past the gift shop area. No way all those people were going to get in as walk ups. It was just a few minutes until 5:00pm then. The restaurant wasn't even open yet and the line for walkups was really long.

I would still keep checking in on Ohana as well. On my last WDW trip, my friends forced us to missed our reservation. I was very bummed, so the DBF took me to City Hall at MK and we got a reservation for the next morning at 9am! It worked out wonderfully. I'm sure we had pixie dust on our side but it never hurts to keep trying!

When we were there in December I noticed two lines at the Ohana podium, an ADR check-in line, and a no reservation line. We didn't inquire at all about the lines, but from what we could see, you just stood in this line and hoped to be fit in at some point. You could wait for hours and doubt a table would be guaranteed. But it is an option if you want to ask about it?

OP, my DH and I are "wing it" people that don't like to be tied to a certain day, time. We always just walk in early and make sure we are about the first in line and have NEVER been turned away. We've always immediately been given a pager and have been called within 15min. We do like to dine early though, and it makes a difference when there are only two people. Good luck, it's one of our favorite places to eat :banana: .

With only 2 people it usually is not a problem if you get there before they open. We usually miss out on making advance reservations ourselves and we usually try to "wing it" depending on how we feel that particular day... so we do tons of walk-ups. Keep trying for a reservation, but if that doesn't pan out, then show up about 20 mins before they open and hit the person at the reception and see if they can fit you in. If you get there after they open, they just start filling all the seats with the people who have the advance reservations and you don't have a chance ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter