• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana Pineapple Bread

cobbler

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever make this before? Any tips? I am trying but for some reason I don't think my dough is doing what it is supposed to do.

I haven't made this before, but maybe I can help. What is it doing or not doing that you think it should be? Is it not rising like you thought? Or is it not pulling away from the dough hooks at the beginning? I'm assuming it's the breakfast bread recipe with coconut?

Its the recipe on allearsnet with the coconut.

First off I couldn't find unsweetened coconut so I got sweetened and just put a little less sugar in the mixture.

I also couldn't find the high gluten flour so I got regular bread flour because I read on another site that it could be subbed out.

Then the dough is not rising and it is very sticky. I added the right amount of flour so I don't know what is going on there. I figure the yeast may have not have risen properly because the water may not have been warm enough to activate it or whatever.

Also when I was to roll it out, it didn't even come close to 2 inches thick. So I guess my biggest problem right now is the dough not rising and it was very sticky.

Oh I don't have a dough hook either so I just used a regular spatula.

Ok well it didn't turn out well so obviously I did something wrong.

And how long does it take dough to rise?

Sorry - DD's band concert was postponed from last week due to the ice storm & I just got back.

A couple things come to mind...I use a bread machine for the most part now, but the same things apply for the most part. If your dough is sticky, you need to add more flour. Try adding it a tablespoon at a time until it no longer sticks to your finger when you touch it.

Humidity will affect how much flour you need...if the air is moist you end up needing to add more flour than it calls for sometimes. Usually, though, I only have this problem in the summer months.

I don't usually have trouble with my yeast not activating due to the water not being warm enough...although DD has made it too warm which will kill the yeast. But not warm enough...usually the warmth around the dough when it's rising is enough to bring it to temperature - it just takes longer.

How long to rise? Well, I haven't timed it for years when it wasn't in the bread machine, but as I recall it was a couple hours. When I lived at home I'd put it on a table near a radiator. Here (pre-bread machine), I just put it over the burner with the oven vent and put a dish towel over the bowl. I turn the oven on at about 200 and leave it on for about an hour...longer if the house is really cold.

Thanks, I definatly think there wasn't enough flour in there. Just need to figure out that high gluten thing if I need it or not.

I also didn't think I gave the bread enough time to rise.

Oh well this was my first trial run with it so maybe next time it will be better.

cobbler said:
Thanks, I definatly think there wasn't enough flour in there. Just need to figure out that high gluten thing if I need it or not.

I also didn't think I gave the bread enough time to rise.

Oh well this was my first trial run with it so maybe next time it will be better.
Maybe this will help...

"Bread flour: This is made entirely from hard wheat; a high gluten content helps bread rise quickly. (It's also available in whole wheat form.)

Cake flour: Finer than all-purpose flour, cake flour is made entirely from soft wheat. Because of its low gluten content, it is especially well suited for soft-textured cakes and cookies.

High-gluten flour: This has about twice the gluten strength of regular bread flour and is used as a strengthening agent with other flours that are low in gluten-producing potential."

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,81,00.html

Does anyone have a link to the recipe? We are dining there in a few weeks and I am wordering if DD and I will be able to eat the bread (milk and eggs allergy.) I know the home recipes aren't always the same, but if they have it in that, they most likely will at the Ohannas also.

Of course you can always ask when you get there, but I'm sure it's better to check ahead of time. I believe I've read that some people have called ahead to discuss food allergies with someone at WDW - I just don't know who to call. :confused3

This is the recipe that I have:

'Ohana Breakfast Bread
'Ohana, Polynesian Resort

Yield: 9" x 13" loaf

1¾ c Water
1 Egg Yolk
2 Tbl Shortening
4½ High Gluten Flour
½ tsp Salt
1/3 c Sugar
1 Tbl Instant Yeast

Coconut Mixture

1 c Crushed pineapple
1 c Unsweetened coconut
1 c Sugar
2 Tbl Cornstarch

Pinapple/Coconut Method

1. Combine pineapple and coconut in bowl.
2. Combine sugar and cornstarch in separate bowl and mix well.
3. Add sugar and cornstarch mixture into pineapple and coconut mixture and mix well.
4. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Bread Method

1. Combine all ingredients in order of recipe in mixing bowl, and mix with dough hook until
dough picks up on hook and the sides of the mixing bowl is clean.
2. Let dough rise until it doubles in size.
3. Roll out dough onto a floured surface until it is 2 inches thick.
4. Next spread pineapple/coconut mixture over the top of the dough.
5. Fold dough into itself and place in a greased 9" x 13" cake pan.
6. Cut dough into pieces with a pizza cutter and spread out cut pieces evenly in cake pan.
7. Let dough rise in warm oven (110 degrees F) - about half way up the pan.
8. Bake at 325 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Let bread cool, cut and serve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter