Ohana Disappointment

Last week I posted on this board about how sad I was that I couldn't get Ohana reservations for my family. So imagine how excited I was when I scored last minute reservations the day before our trip! We always look forward to Ohana because we love the food, the atmosphere, etc. However, this time, we were very disappointed.

Ohana's has changed their menu. The delicious salad with the honey lime dressing has been replaced with some type of stir fry on a lettuce leaf. :confused3 It was inedible. We actually sent it back... and we NEVER do that kind of thing.
The noodles were dry and the meats were all over cooked. :confused:

The lady that normally does the little show wasn't there anymore either, and the man taking her place was on a permanent break while we were there. :(

We didn't use the dining plan either so this meal cost my family of 5 almost $200. We were upset about the money yes, but more upset that our favorite place seems to have hit the skids.

I don't think first timers would even realize the problems....but those of you who are return guests of Ohana's will feel the pain. :(

We finally went to Ohanas two years ago after reading all the hype for years. Obviously, it was our first visit so don't know how it was previously, but it was one of the worse meals we have ever had at Disney (right up there with Hollywood & Vine and Whispering Canyon Cafe) and you couldn't pay for us to eat there again. The best part of the meal was the potstickers; the meat was either undercooked, dry or burnt (steak). My husband said if he could go for dessert only he would, but he will never step foot in there for a meal again. Add to that the terrible service (our waitress was hardly ever around and she dropped an entire tray of food and part of it splattered on me and never even apologized). Kona is 10x better.

Hate to hear this as Ohana has always been one of our "must do dining" on every trip. I loved the salad, hopefully as some have posted it can be requested instead of the lettuce wraps (which i might would love:confused3) but will really miss the chicken. :sad1:

We were there for the first time this past April. I was concerned because of the mixed reviews and even commented that to a cast member when making reservation. Her response was "well it's one of the hardest reservations to get." We were also very disappointed. Found the meats very greasy, noodles too (and cold). In general, just awful. I actually fell ill that evening after eating there. It was one of those things we had to find out for ourselves but will not go back.

New to the boards. But just got back from a 3 night trip at the Yacht Club. Was thrilled to get a last minute prime time rez for Ohana. I'm GM of a fine dining restaurant and worked in F&B for most of my life. However, I was ready for a fun, delicious meal. I tried to set my expectation correctly for most of my Disney dining experiences. Ohana was a disaster. The service was slow, very slow. Took forever to get a drink. Very nice waitress who just seemed overwhelmed. The food was greasy. The lettuce wraps completely unappealing. greasy dumplings that didn't compare to a chinese take out restaurant. The noodles were oily with very little flavor. The steak was tasty, but many pieces full of sinew. The bread pudding was delicious. I watched as a waitress who said she had worked for disney for 20 years struggled to open a bottle of wine, seemingly confused on how to use a corkscrew.... It was a disappointment. I know there are some great restaurants, but this one is a complete pass for me.

we too have booked another reservation at O'hana...we went in May with our son and dil and two grandkids and we all loved the meal..

So hubby decided to go again ..looking forward to the experience again...

I have said before that we cant all like the same restaurants or else we would never get into these places..

let us know for those who are going again soon

We have been many times over the years and the food has changed quite a few times. We have had good meals and we have had so so meals. We still eat there but it's not an every trip thing for us. I still think it's a fun meal. Certainly not fine dining but a good time.

We were recently there and while it certainly was not our favorite meal, it wasn't terrible. We were told by the hostess that we could request the salad if we wanted it. We didn't. We kept the lettuce wraps and I liked them. They were actually one of the better parts of the meal because the lettuce was crisp and the vegetable filling was fresh and tasty. The noodles were dry and cold. The vegetables that come with them are pretty good, but were also cold. The potstickers were not very good. They were covered in some sauce that should have been left off. The beef was very overcooked. We asked for the server to go and see if we could get some rare beef and he came back with some that was less overcooked, but still far from rare (I'd say it was about medium).

I don't know what kind of entertainment Ohana had before, but when we were there the only thing going on was the kids doing coconut races. My kids did not want to participate, but many did. We were seated right on the aisle where the race took place. This was not a good place to be because the kids kept bumping into our table and knocking the dishes around. I had to hold onto several plates to keep them from hitting the floor.

Overall, it was not a very pleasurable dining experience and I wouldn't go back.

I also had a so-so dining experience at Ohana in early November. I had never been before and knowing that reservations were coveted, I managed to grab one and was excited. I ate during the first, early seating on the first night of the MVMCP. The table experience was great but the food just meh. I had a window seat and could see the MK castle lit up with Christmas lights and I had a very good, attentive server. But the food. It wasn't good. I asked for the salad and it, along with the dessert, was the best part of the dinner. The lettuce wraps didn't taste good, the chicken wings bland and cold, the noodles cold and tasteless and the meat on the skewers was overcooked and dry. I did ask for extra salad and did try some different meat skewers and the beef was more med and less charred the second go around. Shrimp also beyond overcooked. Pervasive, one note flavour of teriyaki. Everything but the salad and dessert tasted like it had been tossed in the same sauce. The only entertainment was the children pushing coconuts. It wasn't a terrible meal, but not a good one because of the food. A few nights earlier, I had an extraordinary dinner at Kona Cafe and I couldn't help but compare the food quality of Ohana to Kona. This is a once and done experience and next time I will pass on Ohana for Kona. I hope I just had a bad food night but will leave the reservations to others!

For us, Ohana's has always been our favorite restaurant in DW. We did get a salad after we sent the lettuce wraps back, but it was far from original quality. The server said they had a change of head chef and when they do that they play with the menu. I told him that he should suggest to the chef that some things needed to remain the same.
The reason Ohana is such a hot ressie to get is because of word of mouth from others. If it keeps getting reviews like this, it won't be a hot ressie for long.

My DD and I were there for a dance convention back in April and the food was fantastic, so the changes have been since then. I just hate I didn't do my research on the boards before we left because I may have saved myself $200. But honestly, I didn't think I needed to since we have had great service and food there so many times before. :-(

Inconsistancy in the food has been a problem. If you listen to the recent DIS Unplugged podcast review. They had a similar experience. I dont care for the service and you pay a premium for bad food.
I know it is a popular choice but it is definitely not one I recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDS0UK9sVDE

Inconsistancy in the food has been a problem. If you listen to the recent DIS Unplugged podcast review. They had a similar experience. I dont care for the service and you pay a premium for bad food. I know it is a popular choice but it is definitely not one I recommend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDS0UK9sVDE

We've had terrible food and service...at a costly price... You screw me once and then again... I don't care who the chef is or who runs it, I'm not wasting my money to try it a third time... Too many other better choices in WDW...Ohauna is all hype...

Well, guess it's just Dis'ers that don't/want go back to 'Ohana because most everyone else is sure going! Can't get reservations for love or money - too many other people enjoying it too much. :confused3

We 'love' that place, and most others do also, as it is one of the 'most' packed places at WDW. :headache: I don't think any other restaurant is as hard to get ressies for unless it's BOG.

sh,

I have not been to Ohana in a few years, a shame it has changed so much.

Go
Last week I posted on this board about how sad I was that I couldn't get Ohana reservations for my family. So imagine how excited I was when I scored last minute reservations the day before our trip! We always look forward to Ohana because we love the food, the atmosphere, etc. However, this time, we were very disappointed.

Ohana's has changed their menu. The delicious salad with the honey lime dressing has been replaced with some type of stir fry on a lettuce leaf. :confused3 It was inedible. We actually sent it back... and we NEVER do that kind of thing.
The noodles were dry and the meats were all over cooked. :confused:

The lady that normally does the little show wasn't there anymore either, and the man taking her place was on a permanent break while we were there. :(

We didn't use the dining plan either so this meal cost my family of 5 almost $200. We were upset about the money yes, but more upset that our favorite place seems to have hit the skids.

I don't think first timers would even realize the problems....but those of you who are return guests of Ohana's will feel the pain. :(

I was so excited I snagged a res yesterday for our trip next week but apprehensive because it fell on night we are going to MVMCP and I hated taking time away from that. We are not doing DDP this time so I went to allears to check price, and that's when I saw the lettuce wraps and that the chicken was gone. I don't eat seafood, and I've always been take it or leave it with O'hana pork. Immediately came over to restaurant forum to see if I could find out if the chicken gone was an error, and spotted this thread. And then after reading I cancelled. I am not paying $100+ for our family of 3 to miss start of MVMCP and have a crappy meal.
Just like WCC, Disney's gone and ruined an old favorite.

We had breakfast there for the first time last week and enjoyed it. I don't think I'll try dinner there anytime soon reading everyone's reviews.

Ohana is kinda a Family tradition.... but it was MUCH better back in the 90's.

Every time I go I say I'll not going to ever come back.... but we do it every few years for sentimental reasons. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone.

That said, how many restaurants have a view of MK with Fireworks?

Ohana is kinda a Family tradition.... but it was MUCH better back in the 90's.

Every time I go I say I'll not going to ever come back.... but we do it every few years for sentimental reasons. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone.

That said, how many restaurants have a view of MK with Fireworks?

Try the California Grill next time. :thumbsup2

We love love Ohana, it was our must for every trip..I am sad you had a bad experience, I hope all is well in June when we go we also pay out of pocket so its a big hunk of change but has been worth it in the past...

We use to go to Ohana every trip when we used the dining plan. I really love it, so good to me. Since we stopped using the dining plan we only go to the expensive meals once a trip and have stuck with the less expensive restaurants which are delicious, we have discovered some hidden gems since we started doing this. While I miss Ohana, I just can't justify the cost anymore. Guess I will have to splurge on it one time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter