Ohana dinner?

DjdBrit

DIS Veteran
I currently have Kona booked for dinner and am thinking if switching to Ohana... does anyone have any thought on this?

Well 'Ohana is a set menu and price, but endless servings. They come around with the meat and you can ask for refills on the sides. Does the menu appeal to you? Are you big eaters?

I have never been to Kona so I can't comment on a comparison between the two, but we had dinner for the first time at Ohana during our recent trip and it was definitely our favorite meal! I think for the price, its a great value because you get so much food. Also, I think it's a fun and different dining experience since the meat is brought to your table on skewers. And the bread pudding is amazing!

Plus, if you dine there during wishes the music is piped in and some of the tables have a view of the castle so you can watch the fireworks.

Can you tell I like Ohana? :rotfl:

I love Ohana, it's one of my all time favorites. If you are able to get a reservation I would recommend it.

Unfortunately I was not able to get reservations for my next trip. The worst part of it is I'm treating myself to the Polynesian ( I couldn't pass up the poly at 40% off) and I won't be going to Ohana! :sad1:

I have never been to Kona so I can't comment on a comparison between the two, but we had dinner for the first time at Ohana during our recent trip and it was definitely our favorite meal! I think for the price, its a great value because you get so much food. Also, I think it's a fun and different dining experience since the meat is brought to your table on skewers. And the bread pudding is amazing!

Plus, if you dine there during wishes the music is piped in and some of the tables have a view of the castle so you can watch the fireworks.

we've never been to Kona, either, but on our last trip, my bf and I agree that our favorite meal was at Ohana too! we were lucky to have a table by the windows and were able to watch the fireworks, it was great! we were so stuffed that we were gonna skip dessert but luckily we didn't because the bread pudding was amazing!! we devoured it..you wouldn't have known we were stuffed to the extreme beforehand :rotfl2: we are definitely going to try Kona on our next trip but Ohana will be on the itinerary too :)

if you are planning to switch, you might wanna do it soon since it's so popular and ADRs are hard to come by

We ate there during the xmas holidays and it was great. The bread pudding and ice cream are to die for. Ohana is a experience, you should try it atleast once.

Thank you everyone:) I just went on line and added O'hana and got rid of Kona. My new ADR is at a similar time and I am happy. Its always goood to try something new.

Decided to make our Reservation at Ohana last week!!! I've heard nothing but good things about that place... We actually have a really late reservation for 8:45 and doubting we'll get a table by a window so we can catch wishes... Wish me luck!!! It would make an awesome 1st night of our vacation!!

Ohana was fantastic! You won't be upset about the switch. If you can, try Kona for breakfast. It's my favorite meal there.

I think you'll be happy! We've eaten at Kona (dinner) twice and Ohana once. First time at Kona (2007) was fabulous, but last year we were disappointed. From reading other reports, it sounds like we weren't alone in finding that. We tried Ohana last year and LOVED it!! The atmosphere, the food, the games for the kids, all of it! The meat we found to be a tad dry, but still good with the sauces, but the sides, appetizers, dessert, etc. - out of this world!!! Hopefully we'll be returning in 2011 and I think we're going to skip Kona and try something new, but we'll definitely be going to Ohana!!

Ohana is our favorite meal, it is a must do every trip! We have also had Kona a couple of times, but to us it does not compare.

Sorry, I hate to be the negative one, but we hated Ohana. We thought the food was horrible. The beef was fatty, the chicken and pork were dry, and the shrimp was mushy. The noodles came out of a box and the dumplings were frozen. The bread pudding was ok, Boma's was better.They bring out each course way too quickly, I have never felt so rushed through a meal. I wasn't all that familiar with the place, and didn't know to ask for the main part of the dining room so we didn't have the good view, and didn't participate in the entertainment. By far the worst meal we had at Disney. The only good thing was letting the kids hang out at the resort after dinner.

Sorry, I hate to be the negative one, but we hated Ohana. We thought the food was horrible. The beef was fatty, the chicken and pork were dry, and the shrimp was mushy. The noodles came out of a box and the dumplings were frozen. The bread pudding was ok, Boma's was better.They bring out each course way too quickly, I have never felt so rushed through a meal. I wasn't all that familiar with the place, and didn't know to ask for the main part of the dining room so we didn't have the good view, and didn't participate in the entertainment. By far the worst meal we had at Disney. The only good thing was letting the kids hang out at the resort after dinner.

We've done Ohana a few times and when it first opened, it was fantastic. Subsequent trips later and the appeal, service and nature has changed, not for the good. We were rushed and forgotten, never asked for drink refills or even seen our waitress. We got up and left, spoke with a manager and he apologized and gave us vouchers but we said no thanks, once bad is enough. At that price and to feel like a glorified buffet except they bring the food we prefer Kona, all the time.

I've not been to Kona either, but have it booked for breakfast on our next trip. However, I LOVE 'Ohana SO much that I would tell you that you should definitely give it a try!! The place is awesome, and is now mine and the DH's very favorite restaurant in all of Disney!! (We also have it booked for dinner on our next trip as well!)

I couldn't choose between the two so as of now I am planning on doing both! :rolleyes1 But if I do have to give one up I think I will keep Ohana and dump Kona based on what I have read here.

Should I ask for a certain seating area when I arrive?

Should I ask for a certain seating area when I arrive?

Arrive earlier then even recommended and ask for a window table. It helps if your party is 4 or less or 7-8.

We went to both during free dining Kona 2008 and Ohana 2009. Ohana was definitely better. The service at Kona was very slow. When we went in 2009 I hadn't been back in 3 yrs, it was DD26 and her family's first time. I must say that my SIL has a high standard when it comes to restaurants and he LOVED it. He wished we had booked more ADRs. They kept trying to book but of course everything was taken up. It was their first time during free dining and they are hoping for it again this year. I told them to apply for the Disney Visa Card. I also told daughter to figure out her dates and to make sure to make ADRs at 180 days out.

I just made this same switch. We ate at Kona in December 08, and really enjoyed our meal there. I had it booked for our March trip, but decided to try something new based on all the good reviews. I did add Kona for breakfast. Can't wait!

I would go to Kona and for dessert order the bread pudding from Ohana (they will let you do this)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter