'Ohana bread pudding...

ErinsMommy

She believed she could, so she did
When on vacation I become an adventurous eater and like to try new things - and one thing I never had before was the bread pudding but I read a lot of posts where people rave about this. What makes it so special or good?

So, honestly "bread pudding" to me sounds disgusting. However, when we ate at 'Ohana, I tried it...and it was delicious!!! It's got hot caramel all over it, and it's just soooooo yummy!!

I plan on getting it again this summer!!!

The bread pudding is delicious. But what's great about it is that it's topped with vanilla ice cream and the server has a jug of caramel and bananas that gets poured over it. The sauce starts to melt the ice cream, which soaks into the bread pudding. (Which is honestly delicious all on its own.) And all of the flavors combining is wooonderful.

But I also really like bread pudding. I make it often at home. So if you don't like bread pudding, it's not going to be your favorite thing on property.

I think the ambiance of the restaurant, too, adds to the deliciousness of the bread pudding. But I think you can get it at the lounge now! So you don't have to eat the whole meal if you only want dessert.

Thank you both! I never ate bread pudding before - like @Mousemommy1 said the name alone sounds like something I wouldn't want to even try, but vacation is my "oh heck why not" mentality. Usually why nothing fits either when I get back home. :laughing:

The thing is that pudding lends itself to dessert, rather than being a squishy 'eat with a spoon' mess type of thing. It's basically just french toast. It's stale (or fresh) bread that's cubed. They add spices to the egg/milk/butter/whatever they put into it mixture and then coat the bread with it. Then it's baked and portioned out. And then they top it. I follow The Pioneer Woman because she cooks with less butter than Paula Deen, which is where I found my love for bread pudding. Admittedly, though, she was using a bourbon sauce, I think. I don't like alcohol that can be tasted, but the sauce is really good.

So if you can get past the name, the dessert itself is really good. I grew up with my mom eating bread pudding and never realized how wonderful it was until I actually tried it as an adult. Bread pudding is definitely not as eggy or soggy as french toast (depending on who's making the french toast, right?!), but that's basically what it's made of. Bread, eggs, milk, sugar.

The secret is the sauce on top. That caramel is so sweet that it's almost painful to eat more after such a rich dinner, but you just. can't. stop. I think it's best to go to 'Ohana with non-judgmental people so you don't have to see the look of shame from your table occupants as you power through dessert while they recline back from the table with the 'I can't eat any more' look of defeat.

It's "Pudding" more in the sense of British pudding, not Jello pudding like Americans think of.

There is really nothing remotely adventurous about the bread pudding. It's delicious but certainly no unique or out of the ordinary flavors. It's similar to cake and ice cream with caramel sauce instead of icing.

Bread pudding to me is basically dessert dressing (or stuffing as some people insist on calling it).

Can I piggyback on this to ask something else? Is it possible to get the bread pudding without the ice cream? (I'm not sure if it's served individually or family-style. I'm the only one in the family who wouldn't want the ice cream. Don't judge, LOL.)

When on vacation I become an adventurous eater and like to try new things - and one thing I never had before was the bread pudding but I read a lot of posts where people rave about this. What makes it so special or good?
It is AMAZING....

I LOVE bread pudding and this is by far my favorite....It's always rough trying to inhale that awesome goodness after such a heavy meal of---> MEAT...LoL

Also Others on these boards have stated that the bread pudding in Raglan Road (DS) is excellent as well..Haven't tried that yet, but that might be another option for you when you go...:confused3

Can I piggyback on this to ask something else? Is it possible to get the bread pudding without the ice cream? (I'm not sure if it's served individually or family-style. I'm the only one in the family who wouldn't want the ice cream. Don't judge, LOL.)

Yes, that should be fine. Just tell your server. DD always orders just a plain dish of ice cream. They can do whatever you want.

I'm a picky eater and think it is amazing! Whole meal at Ohana is fantastic.

Good to know you can order it at Tambu as Bread Pudding is my favorite dessert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter