• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Ohana Bread Pudding Twice In One Trip?! How can Life Possibly Get Better Than That *Complete*

Every time I read your report I find myself checking over my ADR plans and tweaking them. ;)

Nice job on getting to MK before rope drop! What a bummer about the wait on 7dmt. I would suspect it was inflated but you wouldn't want to wait it out only to find out it wasn't!

We've never eaten at Tony's. The menu doesn't wow me but I would like to give it a try sometime. I'm glad to see your experience was a good one.

SSR does seem like a perfect resort for you guys and your love of DTD movies! Having DTD in walking distance is such a great perk!!

Love the ice cream sundaes! The line at Ghirardelli's is always soooo long that we never go but I really need to just suck it up here soon and wait it out. I'm sure it is worth it.

WPE is always a must do for us. Pizza is awesome. And my DH and DD love Ghiradelli's their tradition is to get sundaes while I shop.

1. I loved Tony's when we ate there last September. I think I'll make a reservation for our December trip, I don't know why the place gets a bad rap! Sure, it's not super authentic Italian food, but the restaurant itself is cute and I still thought the food was really good. I'm definitely Pro-Tony's. :thumbsup2

2. Grooosssss!!! :crazy2: It would be tough to get past that association. What is WRONG with people?! I'm glad you guys got to give it another shot there and have a great experience.

Pro Tony's! Woo hoo! I agree. Not authentic Italian, but tasty with a fun atmosphere. What else can you ask for?

It has been very hard for Rob to get over that experience. Thankfully I think this trip may have finally left a positive impression now.

Wow, I'm shocked to see how good your Tony's meal is. I've never tried it do to all the wide spread panning of it, so it's good to finally hear something good. Your zucchini fries look great, as does your hubby's pasta. May need to rethink visiting sometime here.

We're staying at POFQ next trip and I can't wait to take the boat to DTD. We've avoided it for years because of all the construction so it will be an extra special treat. Speaking of which, your Ghiradelli sundae looks amazing. I'm not always a huge ice cream fan, but will literally eat anything in salted caramel.

We love WPE too, but again its been several years. And yeah for picnics in bed

I totally don't get the hatred for this place. Every place gets it's share of negative reviews for one reason or another, but I feel like there is too much hate towards Tony's. I personally enjoy it, so I guess that's all that matters.

I love POFQ! The boat ride makes it extra fun to get over to DTD. If you like salted caramel then you would definitely love that sundae. They don't play around with the flavors there! Sounds like you need an evening of WPE and Ghirardelli's on your next trip! :thumbsup2

Always love your reviews jerseytinkerbelle!
It was nice to read about your experience at Tony's- it always seems to get bashed in the reviews!!
Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed the Tony's review!

Joining in, we tried Trails End this past November because of your review and we loved our dinner and received the 10% off with my visa! I so wanted to try frushi in April but I did one of those I'll come back and never did. Love the reviews. Tony's looks good, haven't tried there yet.

Awesome!!!! So glad you enjoyed Trail's End! Gotta love that Disney Visa discount too.

When it comes to the food booths at either F&W or F&G I always play the 'I'll Get That Next Time' game with at least one item and then it never happens. I tell myself that with picture taking as well. Hopefully they'll have the frushi there for many years to come so that way you can eventually give it a try.

What???? :eek:

WHAT???? :faint:

:sad2::sad2::sad2:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
Seriously though, it is AMAZING!!! I recommend giving it a try. You might be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

I've had that salted caramel one before & I love it. Salted Caramel is my favorite dessert flavor no matter what!

Glad you enjoyed being so close to SSR and used that to your advantage!

I agree! I can't get enough salted caramel! I love that is a dessert trend now. Salted caramel and chocolate peanut butter can almost never be wrong.

SSR is not my favorite resort as far as theming goes, but I do love it there. We had an awesome stay this trip.

Joining in a bit late. DS found our lunch at Trails End hit & miss as well. Really enjoyed some things but didn't like others at all. We are trying dinner for the first time in August in large part because of your previous reviews! :thumbsup2

That meatloaf sandwich from WPE looks amazing! I don't know of any way to fit it in this trip but you never know. Ghiardelli's is on our list but now I am not sure which of those two sundaes to try. I thought I was having the salted caramel one but really do love hot fudge and bananas! Oh the decisions one must make on a WDW trip! :rotfl:

Glad you joined in! TE is way better for dinner. I hope it is a big hit for you!

The meatloaf sandwich is ALWAYS a winner. But I hear ya. So much great food, not enough days in a trip.

The decisions get tough on a Disney vacation! :laughing: Personally, I don't much care for bananas, so it makes it an easy choice for me, but Rob loves that sundae.

Jeri- I adore your reviews! You and I have a similar touring and eating style, so I feel like I can connect with you! I added you on IG also! (Ashsleeved)

Thanks so much! :goodvibes So, so glad you are following along on Instagram as well! It's fun to share Disney vacations with others that love it too.

Loving the review as always Jerri!! I miss WFE right now!!! You have me thinking about staying @ SSR again b/c you are so right, DTD is amazing & it's so nice to take the boat or path over. I loved that!!

Thanks so much! That convenience is going to make it hard to stay away from SSR for awhile. The fact that it's hard to get a stay through DVC at any other resort at the last minute usually makes it an easy decision for us, but we are starting to pick it as a favorite. The next goal there is to get a room that actually faces DTD. That would be very very cool to look at all day.

Great photo of those Amphicars at the Boathouse - and that WPE pizza looks appetizing....

Thank you! Those photos don't even do them justice. It is so cool there. I definitely have to make eating there a priority next time.

Awesome trip report...can't wait to read more!

Thank you so much! Finally getting some more reviews up this weekend. :thumbsup2

I think I have the same ears!!! Hahahaha.. I ordered them on Etsy! Did people recognize that they were Ariel ears? A couple of people told me they thought they were Christmas ears.. I'm like "have you never seen the Little Mermaid, and why would Christmas ears have a fork!?"

Omg.. that would ruin me for a while, too!! HAhahaha.

These look so good.. wow!

Your meals both look awesome. We have never been to Tony's since I've heard such awful things about it from so many, but we might have to try it this time.

I got them on Etsy too! Love Etsy. I actually got two different pairs. The one in the picture and another pair that doesn't have the starfish and the one ear is purple instead of green. I never thought about it but you're right. They are kinda Christmas-y. I did get quite a few comments on them, so I think most people got it. Especially the CMs.

I really think Tony's is better than a lot of people give it credit for. I always enjoy my food there. And at lunch time the price isn't bad as far as Disney food prices go.

Yay! I had forgotten you were going!!! I absolutely love your trip reports. Everything looks delicious. I don't even like meatloaf and that sandwich looks amazing. I can't wait to read more!

Oh and your hours....ouch! How do you ever see each other?

Hey! Glad you are joining in!

Don't like meatloaf?!? I think WPE meatloaf would change your mind. As an entree or the sandwich they are both delicious.

We actually work at the same place, so we do still see each other a lot. He is only a few cubicles away. :thumbsup2 His hours are only a few off from mine and I try to schedule at least one day off the same each week so that we can hang out for a whole day. I see him a lot, but I just don't see anyone else lol.

Everyone seems to love WPE. I know one of these days i'll try it but i just haven't made it over there yet.

I highly recommend making the time to check it out. But you should definitely do the one on the Marketplace side and not the West Side. Way better options at the Marketplace one.

Love WPE one of my favorites, we are staying at SSR & OKW during our vacation. I am really excited about DTD being so close for meals.

Nice! It is definitely the best perk of staying at SSR. I loved OKW too. The atmosphere is incredible. I can't wait to get back there again one day.

We are huge WPE fans here and even ate their twice last month.

Awesome!!! Glad you got to fit it in your trip a few times. I wish we had done breakfast there this trip. Their breakfast pizza is my absolute favorite.

Every time I read your report I find myself checking over my ADR plans and tweaking them. ;)

Nice job on getting to MK before rope drop! What a bummer about the wait on 7dmt. I would suspect it was inflated but you wouldn't want to wait it out only to find out it wasn't!

We've never eaten at Tony's. The menu doesn't wow me but I would like to give it a try sometime. I'm glad to see your experience was a good one.

SSR does seem like a perfect resort for you guys and your love of DTD movies! Having DTD in walking distance is such a great perk!!

Love the ice cream sundaes! The line at Ghirardelli's is always soooo long that we never go but I really need to just suck it up here soon and wait it out. I'm sure it is worth it.

:laughing: It's so hard to fit in all the good food! My plans get rearranged constantly.

That wait time is crazy. I think it probably is inflated first thing, but the line is soooooooo crazy long that it makes me wonder. It's hard to waste valuable rope drop time on one ride.

Tony's works when you're kinda tired of the other MK options. I prefer LTT or even the Plaza, but it's a nice change of pace to eat there.

SSR really is perfect for us! I need a permanent residence there. :laughing:

That's so weird because we never wait in line. Must be the times of year we go and the time of day we go, but we are lucky enough to never have a line. Sometimes it's hard to find a seat, especially inside, but the cashiers usually have to wait for us while we decide what to order. I hope you get to try it next time!

WPE is always a must do for us. Pizza is awesome. And my DH and DD love Ghiradelli's their tradition is to get sundaes while I shop.

Their pizza really is awesome! It's hard to get anything else there. Awww that's a fun tradition! Sounds like a win win all around. :thumbsup2

ok I keep checking everyday to see if you have updated :)

Hey! Update coming right up!

The next day we decided to use as a non-park day. So, today we could do whatever crazy food plans we wanted to do, enjoy as much pool time as possible and of course take in a movie.

We got up pretty early again and I booked a reservation for breakfast on the Disney World app. We hopped in the car and off we went to our first food destination of the day. Poly time!

We found a parking space with no problem and made our way inside.

I do miss the water fountain, but the new lobby is truly lovely.

I love this map of the resort they have displayed on the first floor. I want one for my living room.

And of course, you can't beat the view from the second floor.

We checked in about 20 minutes early for our reservation and they seated us right away. Gotta love Kona Cafe!

I was actually really torn about what to order since I had just had my two favorites back in March on my family trip here, but I had to go with my all time Kona Cafe favorite. The Samoan! Poached Eggs with Hollandaise served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash.

And here it is in all of it's glory once I cut into the eggs.

So amazing! If you haven't tried this and you like pork, what are you waiting for?!? It's the best. Seriously.

Rob got the same breakfast and loved his dish too. And because we are dorks we split their French Press Pot Coffee and we both got the Liliko'i Juice, which is their Orange, Passion Fruit, and Guava blend. We got the exact same breakfast. We're too much. :laughing:

Our breakfast was delicious and our service was good. We were satisfied to say the least. We decided to go outside and check out the newly completed bungalows along the water. We came across the pool along the way, which looked soooooooo inviting. And there was no one in it yet! Crazy people at the Poly wasting a perfectly awesome pool on a hot day.

I am in love with these bungalows. Before I die I will stay here for one night. I am going to make it happen. Some how, some way.

After breakfast and a stroll around the Polynesian we drove back to SSR and got ready for the pool. It was a pretty short walk to the main pool at the main building in the Springs section of the resort from our room. It was only about 9:30am at this point, so we pretty much had the pool to ourselves.

After a very enjoyable few hours at the pool we got ready and made the walk over to DTD.

The lovely fountain on the path along the water.

Why do fountains always look so inviting when you walk past them? Does everyone want to jump in fountains, or is it just me? :rotfl2: I blame the Go-Go's Our Lips Are Sealed video. I watched it too many times as a child now I want to jump in every fountain I see and dance around. Weirdo.

Now, the path along the water to DTD is almost the same as before except you used to have to walk all the way down to the highway and then along the highway and back up the area where the buses turn in for DTD. Now there is a nice walkway that cuts across the pond much earlier and drops you out right by the water area for the kiddies located outside of the Christmas shop. The boat launch that used to be by Captain Jack's is located along this walkway now as well. Here is the boat launch on the right hand side of the walkway.

The lovely view off to the left.

And looking straight ahead.

Welcome to DTD! Our home away from home for the next week and a half.

And now, because we are maniacs, we are back at Ghirardelli already.

Rob decided on the Treasure Island. Warm brownie sundae. Two scoops of Vanilla ice cream paired with our warm double chocolate brownie, smothered with freshly homemade hot fudge and topped with whipped cream, chopped almonds and a cherry.

He went with the cookie dough ice cream again today. It doesn't get much better than this folks. We are truly on vacation now.

I stuck with The Ocean Beach. Sea Salt Caramel Sundae. Vanilla ice cream smothered with creamy caramel, freshly homemade hot fudge and sea salt. Perfectly topped with whipped cream, creamy caramel, sea salt and a Ghirardelli SQUARES milk chocolate.

I went with the cookie dough ice cream this time as well. The ice cream was delicious and so were the toppings, but I think the butter pecan ice cream paired A LOT better with the toppings. It was still ridiculously good though, don't get me wrong.

Now it's time to walk off our sundaes and head over to the West Side!

We then hit up our second movie up the trip. Today it was Furious 7.

:sad: The ending got me. I won't lie. There were some serious tears going on.

We did get a few beverages at the bar in the theater. We love MacGuffins.

Rob was boring and got a beer. But it was a Blue Moon, which is a tasty beer, so I'll give him that.

I was intrigued by their current special offerings. Beer cocktails.

The Peach Summer Shandy sounded really appealing.

Sounds like a winner!

It was delicious! And very strong. I could have gone for a few of these, but at a whopping $12.50 a piece I decided one was enough.

After the movie we walked back to the resort and had a little relaxation time and plotted on our final meal of the day.

Sorry for being late to the party, but I'm here now and all caught up! :woohoo: Your review of Tony's has me thinking. :scratchin If I do return to WDW in the fall for F & W, my favorite MK restaurant will be closed for refurb (LTT) so I just might give Tony's another chance. As for your Ghirardelli sundae photos... WOW! :faint: I've had three trips now without a visit to Ghirardelli and now I'm wondering, what the heck was I thinking!!! :confused3

I really need to get to Kona one of these days for breakfast, your entree looks sooooo good!! I love days off from the parks, it's so relaxing. I too would love to stay one night at the bugalows at the Poly!

Last edited:
I have yet to get a sundae from Ghirardelli! I am headed down next month for an agent AEP trip. We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian. We have been having so much fun making dining reservations last minute...we have Be our guest breakfast and lunch, Sanna, Ohana, Kona, Via Napoli, and Hollywood and Vine fantasmic. I know it doesn't get great reviews but we wanted to see for ourselves. :)

I have yet to eat at Kona for breakfast. It does look good and while the fountain in the lobby isn't very big I do like the changes.

That brownie sundae looks amazing. I will most definitely be getting that next time!

So this update officially made me off the charts excited for our (first time) Poly check-in in 25 days!!! And also our first time Kona breakfast ADR. Now if I could just decide between the Tonga Toast or the Macadamia nut pancakes. ;)

I love the new walking path from SSR to DTD!

OMG those sundaes!

Caramelized Apple and Crumble Crunch Ice Cream?!!! That's going at the top of my must-try snack list for our next trip! I love apple anything and I'm seriously drooling at the thought of that ice cream, LOL!

So happy to find another of your dining reports, you and Rob are one of my favourite Disney-loving couples! :goodvibes

Yeah for The Samoan!!!! It's my favorite at Kona too. Of course i haven't even tried anything else, but can't fathom ordering anything else.

And ice cream and beer cocktails for "lunch" sounds like perfection to me. Your ice cream especially looks amazing as I worship at the feet of all thing caramel.

Can't wait to see what dinner has in store.

I don't even like ice cream (totally un-American, I know !!) but that brownie sundae looks fantastic.

Your Kona breakfast looks amazing!! I have want to try this dish for some time now, but can't make myself not order the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes! There's just too many good choices there!!

I went back & looked at that photo of the shrimp scampi Rob got at Tony's - it looks like there were a lot of shrimp in that portion!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter