Ohana? Are there a lot of food choices?

amy-momofthree

DIS Veteran
I would love to try Ohana based on all the good reviews, however, when I look up the menu, there are only 4 things on it? Are there actually more to pick from or is the buffet limited?

I have two very picky kids (6 and 8).

Also, is it kid friendly? Is there some type of show?

Thanks!!

It's not a buffet. You get everything on the menu brought to your table family style. There isn't a huge assortment - what's listed is what there is. You can get "kid food" for your picky eaters. My nephew got a hotdog on one of our earlier trips. There is entertainment - hawaiian dancers and kid "parades" and the like. It's fun - but in my opinion - the food isn't all that great.

They serve family style to your table. My family likes the food, including my kids. There are little things for the kids to do such as a conga line and coconut races. It's fun for them but it's nothing monumental! We do like it so much that we would eat here 2x per trip if we could get ADRs!

Here is the menu from allearsnet:

Starters

'Ohana Welcome Bread
Mixed greens with a honey-lime dressing

Appetizers/Accompaniments

Pineapple-Coconut Bread
Mixed Greens with Mango-Poppy Seed Dressing
Honey Coriander Chicken Wings
Pork fried dumplings
Sweet Golden Pineapple

Skewers
Prepared over an oak fire

Oak Grilled Chicken
Asian Barbecued Pork Loin
Marinated Sirloin Steak
Spicy Grilled Peel - n - Eat Shrimp

Accompaniments

Egg Noodles tossed in a peanut sauce with pineapple
Stir fried vegetables

Dipping Sauces

House Made Peanut Sauce
Chimichurri Sauce
Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce

Dessert

'Ohana bread pudding served a la mode with Bananas and Caramel Sauce

Hmmm, wasn't it decided that the Allears menu was slightly inaccurate? It lists two salads, and I know it didn't have the dumplings or something for a while (although that appears to have been corrected) and people were losing their mind. Thankfully, some people reported to us that the menu hasn't changed!

OK the above listed in NOT correct. The menu that it comes from is not correct. (there have been several threads about Ohana and it's menu recently, please feel free to check them out).

Just got back from a week at WDW and Ohana's menu is the same it was the last couple years. Which I know doesn't help the OP, so I will post what the meal consists of.

As said above it is not a buffet but rather a family style all you can eat meal.

To start:

Pinapple Bread
Salad with a citrus dressing (not sure of what citrus, lime or orange)

Next comes the
Sticky Wings, veggies (broccoli, snowpeas, carrots mixture), asian (ramen) noodles. They serve 3 dipping sauces for the wings, a peanut, sweet and sour and a hot mustard type sauce.

All meats are on skewers:
Sirloin, Chicken, Pork, peel and eat shrimp

Dessert is Bread Pudding with Banana Fosters caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. (this is the best dessert on property in my opinion).

The whole meal is served to your table, you eat what you want and get more if you wish. But remember to save room for dessert!!

Enjoy your trip!! :)

Kona is by far my favorite restaurant on Disney property! I like Ohana too and I think that with children it is a fun atmosphere. But by far the food at Kona far surpasses the same meal that everyone gets at Ohana. I don't like the fact that you are stuck with a set menu, not good for picky eaters. I vote for Kona.

OK the above listed in NOT correct. The menu that it comes from is not correct. (there have been several threads about Ohana and it's menu recently, please feel free to check them out).

Just got back from a week at WDW and Ohana's menu is the same it was the last couple years. Which I know doesn't help the OP, so I will post what the meal consists of.

As said above it is not a buffet but rather a family style all you can eat meal.

To start:

Pinapple Bread
Salad with a citrus dressing (not sure of what citrus, lime or orange)

Next comes the
Sticky Wings, veggies (broccoli, snowpeas, carrots mixture), asian (ramen) noodles. They serve 3 dipping sauces for the wings, a peanut, sweet and sour and a hot mustard type sauce.

All meats are on skewers:
Sirloin, Chicken, Pork, peel and eat shrimp

Dessert is Bread Pudding with Banana Fosters caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. (this is the best dessert on property in my opinion).

The whole meal is served to your table, you eat what you want and get more if you wish. But remember to save room for dessert!!

Enjoy your trip!! :)

The only three things on there that I'm pretty sure DS would eat are the broccoli (I know, he's weird), noodles as long as they don't come with sauce already on them, and the vanilla ice cream. Do you think they'd bring plain noodles for him?

Hi Amy! I think you and your S.O. would LOVE Ohana for dinner. To a point, it is more adult oriented ... don't get me wrong, there are TONS of kids there but there are no characters.

They do have a coconut race and a limbo/follow the leader type thing that your kids can participate in. If you are concerned about the menu for your kids just tell your server that they'd prefer a kids meal ... i.e. Mac & Cheese, Chicken Nuggets, PB & J, etc., etc.

The food is VERY YUMMY and the atmosphere is great in my opinion! :goodvibes

TIP: Try for a slightly later time and ask for a window table because when the fireworks at M.K. start they lower the lights in the dining area, pipe in the music from M.K. and you can watch the whole thing from your table as you sip a Pina Colada ... or whatever you prefer to be sipping! :cloud9:

Hope it helps ... if you have anymore questions PLEASE ask! I LOVE Ohana and I'll try to sell you on it as much as I can! :woohoo: :rotfl:

Take Care & Be Safe!

Frank
Disney DieHard

Hi Amy! I think you and your S.O. would LOVE Ohana for dinner. To a point, it is more adult oriented ... don't get me wrong, there are TONS of kids there but there are no characters.

They do have a coconut race and a limbo/follow the leader type thing that your kids can participate in. If you are concerned about the menu for your kids just tell your server that they'd prefer a kids meal ... i.e. Mac & Cheese, Chicken Nuggets, PB & J, etc., etc.

The food is VERY YUMMY and the atmosphere is great in my opinion! :goodvibes

TIP: Try for a slightly later time and ask for a window table because when the fireworks at M.K. start they lower the lights in the dining area, pipe in the music from M.K. and you can watch the whole thing from your table as you sip a Pina Colada ... or whatever you prefer to be sipping! :cloud9:

Hope it helps ... if you have anymore questions PLEASE ask! I LOVE Ohana and I'll try to sell you on it as much as I can! :woohoo: :rotfl:

Take Care & Be Safe!

Frank
Disney DieHard

Thanks! We decided that we will try it, hopefully on our first night if those October hours ever get posted so I can do more planning. The menu looks yummy! Thanks for the tip on the fireworks. We will definitely do that:thumbsup2

The only three things on there that I'm pretty sure DS would eat are the broccoli (I know, he's weird), noodles as long as they don't come with sauce already on them, and the vanilla ice cream. Do you think they'd bring plain noodles for him?

There is something on the noodles and some kind of vegetable in it. I'm picky too. I like the noodles, I pick out the vegetables that are in it. I only eat raw vegetables.

The server will get you a kid's meal if you ask. I'd wait a bit and see how he does.

I didn't think I would like the dessert (I love dessert) but it's so yummy.

Your children will probably LOVE Ohana, even if they don't eat a thing! The entertainment there is very kid centered, and welcomes participation (limbo, hula, cocoanut races, etc.)

That said, it is extremely meat-centric!

I am one of the few that has requested refills on salad and broccoli...they will refill whatever you like.

I have heard of requests from the kids menu at Kona (next door.)

Have a reat trip!:banana:

We just ate at Ohana's last night and it was excellent. In fact, my dd18 said that it was her favorite. We weren't a big fan of the pork but the steak and chicken and shrimp were to die for. My husband loves all things pineapple so the sauces were just icing on the cake for him. DD8 participated in the hula and coconut race and even brought Daddy up to dance with her. It was a wonderful last dinner in Disney.

As far as the fireworks, there are trees outside obstructing some of the views however, you can always get up and walk to the windows or go to the lounge area just outside the restaurant to see them. The servers are very used to people being up and down constantly with fireworks, coconut races, hula etc.

Hey there KEMDisney!

Can you see the fireworks from all tables? No. There are tables that are too far away from the windows to see or are stuck in the back.

When we check-in we request a table by the window ... we never specifically mention the fireworks, I suppose you could, but I think they know why you are doing it. More than likely you will have to wait a little longer for a table to open up but it is worth it!

Keep all that in mind when you request your original time! For example, if the fireworks start at 8:00PM don't request a time of 7:45 or even 7:30. To be safe I would request an initial seating time of no later than 7:15 because you may have to allow extra time for a window table to pop up. At the bare minimum you are going to be there for an hour so ... you know. ;)

Your party size also can affect your seat too! If there are only two of you you will probably get a FANTASTIC seat because the tables for two are right next to the windows. Groups of 4s and 6s are seated at round tables through out the restaurant and if you have a LARGER party ... like double digits you will more than likely be placed in the back part of the room where they have a row of square tables that can be pushed together to accommodate larger groups.

Hope that helps ... if I didn't explain that right let me know :lmao:

Take Care & Be Safe!!!

Frank
Disney DieHard

*** ADD-ON Due to above comment ***

PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE!!! PharmGirl made the point that if you cannot see the fireworks from your table to get up and walk to the window ... and that is fine just PLEASE be mindful of people who are all ready sitting at their tables! There have been a few times where people have moved in to see the fireworks and blocked OUR view as we're sitting at OUR table ... or worse yet they sent their kids over who proceed to literally hang and lean on our chairs. NOT COOL! I don't mind you coming over but mind your manners and control your kids.

'Ohana is not adult oriented, except in the later dining hours. There is plenty of raucous entertainment for the children. If your kids don't like the menu you can ask for "kid food" like hotdogs or chicken nuggets - but you have to ask, and you won't pay less.

The children's entertainment ends at 9:30 pm.

Well I don't know if it is still true but when we were there Sept of 2009 they allowed my kids to order off a different menu from another restaurant there? Does anyone know if this is still possible? My kids won't really eat the food on the menu here but we love it...

Well I don't know if it is still true but when we were there Sept of 2009 they allowed my kids to order off a different menu from another restaurant there? Does anyone know if this is still possible? My kids won't really eat the food on the menu here but we love it...

Yes, if you ask for it. They'll still pay the regular kids' price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter