• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana advice for first timer!

Sailing

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, managed to get a reservation at Ohana for our Disney visit next week. I'm really excited because I've read such good things about the restaurant on here and other sites. Unfortunately, the only time available for us was at 9:45pm on Tuesday - yikes! :eek: It's just two adults, so we should be okay with the late dining time, but I know it's not ideal.

I'm guessing the restaurant will be relatively cleared out by then, so:
1. What's a good routine for the evening? Should we arrive early and tour the Polynesian? Is it worth showing up around 9 and hoping we can get in then?
2. Any suggestions on what's the best place to sit?
3. Will we be rushed with our dining experience because it's so close to closing time (10)? Will the restaurant be slightly quieter/have less kids then?
4. Any insider tips and tricks re: food, service, experience would be helpful because I want to make this visit as perfect as possible so we'll end up coming back. ;)

Thanks in advance!

1. If you've never been to the Poly, do go early and tour. You can try getting in earlier, or they have a wonderful lounge area that you could hang out.
2. Ask for a window seat. Fireworks will be over, but you should have a good view of the lagoon.
3. They shouldn't rush you. Guess that depends on the server. Hard to guess on the noise level, because during peak dining times, it is rather noisy.
4. The food is awesome! I can't imagine getting a bad meal. :)

The grounds and pool area are nice to see. You can view the electric water pageant from the Poly. I believe it is in that area at 9pm. Also you can see some of the magic kingdom fireworks from that same area, depending on their scheduled time that night. Lastly, save your appetite as there is a lot of food heading your way!

Ohana might be my favorite dining on property. DW, DD10 and DD8 do not agree with me, and you will see a very wide variety of opinions about Ohana. There is a lot of hype, so people go in and expect the best meal of their lives. If you go in and simply expect good food in a neat environment, then you'll be very happy. One of the complaints I see more often is that the beef skewers are over-cooked. It's definitely not cooked to order, so don't expect it to be medium rare or even medium. Hard to please everybody, I guess. But overall, there is plenty of meat/shrimp variety, and the appetizers/sides are also good. The sauce on the wings is crazy good. (DW is not a fan of chicken-on-the-bone, so the fact that there are wings as appetizers was not a selling point for her!)

Poly is good for a walk-through tour. If you're there early enough, you can even get a Dole Whip at Captain Cook's without ruining dinner -- ha! Depending on what time the MK fireworks go off on your night, you could probably watch them from the Poly beach before dinner (same for the water parade).

Tambu Lounge is right at the Ohana entrance and has a great assortment of libations, including the Lapu Lapu served in a pineapple or a pina colada served in a Tiki glass (available for purchase in the Poly gift shop).

We've never had trouble being rushed by Disney restaurant staff at closing time, especially if you are there on reservation rather than walking-up.

Enjoy!

1. If you've never been to the Poly, do go early and tour. You can try getting in earlier, or they have a wonderful lounge area that you could hang out.
2. Ask for a window seat. Fireworks will be over, but you should have a good view of the lagoon.
3. They shouldn't rush you. Guess that depends on the server. Hard to guess on the noise level, because during peak dining times, it is rather noisy.
4. The food is awesome! I can't imagine getting a bad meal. :)

Only thing I would add to this is...come hungry! :thumbsup2

Wow, thanks for the quick replies and great advice, everyone! Much appreciated. :) We will definitely go hungry and ask for a window seat. I'm so looking forward to this evening!

The night we'll be there, Wishes is at 8pm, so I'm thinking we'll stay in the park to see it and then head over to the Poly for a little tour. I'd never heard of the electric water pageant though. Sounds neat! Is there anywhere I can find out what time that will be?

The below address for another area of this site has hours, and lists the poly
time as 9 pm but suggests you check with guest services to be sure:

Electrical Water Pageant
This nightly "parade" was first performed on October 26, 1971 during the dedication of the Polynesian Luau. While old-fashioned by today's standards, it's still fun to head to the resort beachfronts to watch it go by. The water pageant can be seen from the boat-loading are at the Magic Kingdom, as well as all each resort around Bay Lake. It normally starts at 9:00 each night, but check the Times Guide to be sure. There are two segments, one is a King Neptune theme, the other a salute to America.

The Electrical Water Pageant usually follows this schedule:

Disney's Polynesian Resort - 9:00 pm
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - 9:15 pm
Disney's Wilderness Lodge - 9:35 pm
Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground - 9:45 pm
Disney's Contemporary Resort - 10:05 pm
Magic Kingdom park - 10:20 pm (only during extended Magic Kingdom Park hours)

(You may want to check with the resort just in case the schedule changes or if its canceled due to the weather that day)

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter