• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oh, What the Hell, Was my reaction to my V&A's PS

MikeWazowski

DIS Veteran
So I planned it all out, I wanted to dine at the V&A's chef table by myself due to conflicting times that my family and I will be in WDW. They can't stay later and I can't come earlier.

So on July 20 I called V&A's. But, on that day the alarm did'nt go off at 6:30, so I ended up sleeping unti 8:00. Of course it was already booked for January 16.

I was upset, but not defeated. I tried again July 21. I practiced dialing from 6:55, then they answered 7:00 on the dot. I told her the date and that I would be dining alone. She then said that you can only make a PS for two to ten people. Which is when I said "what the hell".

So I made it for two just so I would'nt lose the date. What should I do. I'm trying to talk my father into going again with me. Or should I just book the regular table in the dining room. I am just excited I got the PS. Thanks

There is a nice board here that is for adult/solo travelers...often people post invitations to dine with other solo travelers...I'm sure there will be someone that might want to share the experience with you if you post it on the board

I KNOW people have eated at V&A's solo, but not sure about the Chef's table. However, personally I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor and ask if my money is good enough for the hotel and park why can't you do this. I know it costs them money only to do one person, but the decrese in revenue from two to one is not NEAR as big as the decrease from two to six.

Alternatively, I would just show up and tell them that person B was ill. If they threatened to charge me for B I would leave which would pretty much leave them with no revenue.

I travel alone a lot and VERY rarely do I have a problem as a solo diner, but over the years I have decided that I willl not be taken advantage of. Normally I won't raise a stink in life but if this is the area I have decided that matters to me. I do tip well if I receive good service since I know that the total bill is not as big as for a larger party.

Mike:
Try calling V&A direct (best after 5:00 or so) and speak with someone at the restaurant itself. They may be able to help you out--or at the very least offer an explanation as to why there is a minimum of 2 at the Chef's table.

Thank You To Everyone

I Will try to call them Direct later today. I will share the outcome later. Thanks Again

Hey there! I am very upset with the reservation system for va! I called them twice and both times they told me to call back at 7:am...they didn't however mention what 7:am THEIR TIME! I am in California so it would be 4:00 AM HERE! I was so upset! I have been to the Chef's table once before and it was FANTASTIC! I would recommend it to anyone who wants great food and fantastic service!! I have been trying for MONTHS to get a table the first week of December but thanks to the nitwit on the phone I missed out. I have called the direct number and left my name and where I will be staying so they will watch for an opening for me but I try about once a week to see if there is an opening. I guess you just have to keep trying and keep your fingers crossed...don't miss it if you can help it!!!:Pinkbounc :bounce:

Mike: I had the # somewhere, but can't find it now!!
But if you just call the GF, they will connect you.

Originally posted by helenm29
Hey there! I am very upset with the reservation system for va! I called them twice and both times they told me to call back at 7:am...they didn't however mention what 7:am THEIR TIME! I am in California so it would be 4:00 AM HERE! I was so upset! I have been to the Chef's table once before and it was FANTASTIC! I would recommend it to anyone who wants great food and fantastic service!! I have been trying for MONTHS to get a table the first week of December but thanks to the nitwit on the phone I missed out. I have called the direct number and left my name and where I will be staying so they will watch for an opening for me but I try about once a week to see if there is an opening. I guess you just have to keep trying and keep your fingers crossed...don't miss it if you can help it!!!:Pinkbounc :bounce:

If you don't end up getting the Chef's Table for December, your more then welcome to come with me in January LOL. But, just keep trying. You just never know when someone will cancel. Or just go to the regular dining room.

Originally posted by Uncleromulus
Mike:
Try calling V&A direct (best after 5:00 or so) and speak with someone at the restaurant itself. They may be able to help you out--or at the very least offer an explanation as to why there is a minimum of 2 at the Chef's table.

Thank You Very Much For The Tip

I just got off the phone with a very friendly and helpful lady at V&A's. I told her the storey and she said it should not be a problem as long as the chef does not have anything to stay about it. I can always count on the V&A expert Uncleromulus. Thanks again

thanks for the info. I am still trying to get through to V/A for the chef's table but no luck yet. I still have four months and am NOT going to give up yet! I have eaten at the main restaurant portion of V/A also and it was very nice but once you've eaten at the Chef's table....you're HOOKED! anyone out there got the Chef's table reserved for the first week in December want to cancel? (haha!)

Helen, may I gently suggest that it might be unreasonable to expect someone taking a reservation to do the math for you on time zones. She probably had no idea where you were calling from and remember they do get guests from all over the world.

Don't give up though. I hope you get a reservation.:D

Mike:
I'm glad they were able to work things out to your satisfaction.
I assume, then, that you'll go "solo"??
Will be interested to hear how you like the Chef's Table-

Ah, but that's the POINT! they just ASSUME that you are in their time zone! for as many reservations that they take from out of state, you would think that they could at least say "7am central" or whatever. I know it's a bit unreasonable to think that everyone would know that....I was just miffed because I had such an easy time getting reservations last time and this time it's been so hard. Also, the last two times I called, the girls specified what time and asked where I was calling from...good Job! any little bit helps! Ah well, no matter what...I still love Disney and the wonderful people who work with them.

Well I always assume whoever I am talking to is using THEIR time zone not mine. In this case it sounds like both Helen and the CM made and assumption since neither of them confirmed it.

O.K, O.K I got the message! I shouldn't have assumed that they knew where I was calling from BUT on the other hand, they should make things a little more time-zone friendly, getting up to call at 4:00 am was really tough!. enough said. I'll just keep on trying and see what comes up...the staff at the restaurant has been very friendly in that they put my name on a list in case they get a cancellation. thanks for all your input everyone!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I think 4 am would be hard, too and I'm very much a morning person.

That's great that you're on a waiting list. I really hope you clear it.
It's a special dinner.

Also sorry...didn't mean to start anything!:(

Hey there, you didn't start anything at all so don't let it bother you! I expected to have some input from all of you and I am thrilled to hear whatever you all want to say! don't give it a second thought ok? thanks again!:) :) :)

But, the real issue here, is that I will be eating at the Chef Table in Janurary. it feel's so good to stay that to people. Maybe when everyone notice's how happy I am, they will want to come w/ me. I can't wait

It took four days of calling at the 180 day mark, but last month I finally got the Chef's table for my DH and me for December 29. This will be our first time eating at V&A. I can hardly wait. Good luck to those still trying and congrats to all those who have snagged a PS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter