Oh well this is gonna p*** a lot of people off...another cut...

carterman_12

DIS Veteran
On the resort board they are saying that they are no longer have mass at the Polynesian. I susspose that this is another cut, but why cancel this? Doesnt make any sense to me..

Was it a popular Mass ? Well attended ? I've never been to it,(not Catholic), but if it consistantly has poor attendance,why continue it.I don't know if that's the case,just curious.

I believe they are just cutting it down to one mass (there were 2) and one Protestant service. It probably has a lot to do with attendance.

They have discontinued both on site Catholic masses as well as the Protestant service that was scheduled in between the masses. The masses were very well attended - there were many occasions when it was "standing room only". According to posters on the resort board, the Protestant service was not well attended, and the early mass was sometimes "uncrowded" as well. I personally do not think attendance had anything to do with the decision, but of course I do not know why Disney decided to do this. (Neither do any of the posters on the resort board thread, but there is no shortage of people who think they do :teeth:

IMHO, Disney was/is under no obligation to provide space for religious services, but it was certainly a very nice thing to do for its on site guests. There are many off site options for guests who choose to attend services while on vacation.

What a strange decision, if it is true.

I cannot envision any cost for this service. It is more of a service, but one that could actually cost them money...

I can envision people looking to attend a mass or service having to leave the property. I would bet that many of us here have a family tradition of a big breakfast before or a brunch after Sunday morning mass or services.

How many times now will Disney lose resort guests to off-site lunch spots on Sundays, if this decision goes through?

I couldn't find anything on the S(c)entinel's web page. Anybody got a cite for news coverage of this?

It’s a cost savings.

It’s been said internally that the services have been attended by over 700 guests and that they often have to turn people away. The trouble they have isn’t finding a priest to conduct the mass; it’s finding the extra ones to assist with the crowded service. Not being able to find people to conduct the services is about as lame of an excuse as the “people hate Early Entry and instead what to see another character” excuse we got last time.

The more cynical side of me has heard that Mear’s has offered to pay Disney for the right to transport its guest to nearby churches (for a fee to the guests). Gee, if Disney can make money and not have to spend anything on it…..

Just curious:Who pays the priest/ministers wages ? Do they take an offering at the services and if so wouldn't that offset the cost ? I do know that nationwide the Catholic Church has a shortage of priests & nuns. Maybe Disney is not the bad guy in this.

How could it be a cost savings? It was my understanding that Disney did not charge for use of the space and that the priests/ministers were provided by Orlando diocese/Protestant groups. Disney did not get anything from the collections - those went to the church(es) providing the clergy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter