Oh WDW tickets.... why are you so expensive...

SDSorority

Traumatized by Magic Journeys and Haunted Mansion
So DH and I aren't going back to the world until 2013.... probably Nov. or Dec. next year. So, in an effort to 'save' money, I used the Mousesavers link to Undercover Tourist to get our 6-day Park Hoppers. GAWD.... $607 later.... :eek: :rolleyes1 :scared1: :sad2:

Oh well, you do what you gotta do I guess. :headache:

I hear ya!! They are really expensive, and keep getting more and more so. The only way it makes me feel a little better about it is thinking what all I get for the money. You figure if you go to a Six Flags, or Cedar Point, or some other Busch Gardens, etc., their ticket prices are still high, but you aren't buying a full week's worth at a time. Atleast they get less expensive per day at Disney. Or even think about going to a county fair for a few hours, if you ride any rides. It gets pretty expensive for not that high of quality. Doesn't make it any easier to pay for, but it's the only think I can tell myself that makes it any easier to swallow.

I hear ya!! They are really expensive, and keep getting more and more so. The only way it makes me feel a little better about it is thinking what all I get for the money. You figure if you go to a Six Flags, or Cedar Point, or some other Busch Gardens, etc., their ticket prices are still high, but you aren't buying a full week's worth at a time. Atleast they get less expensive per day at Disney. Or even think about going to a county fair for a few hours, if you ride any rides. It gets pretty expensive for not that high of quality. Doesn't make it any easier to pay for, but it's the only think I can tell myself that makes it any easier to swallow.

Yeah, that's true. I mean, where else would I (willingly) drop that kind of money :rotfl2:??

So DH and I aren't going back to the world until 2013.... probably Nov. or Dec. next year. So, in an effort to 'save' money, I used the Mousesavers link to Undercover Tourist to get our 6-day Park Hoppers. GAWD.... $607 later.... :eek: :rolleyes1 :scared1: :sad2:

Oh well, you do what you gotta do I guess. :headache:

It sounds like you are still 22 months away from your next Disney Vacation. Next time I would take the $607 and invest it (from a CD at your credit union to a stock purchase program at work, etc.). You almost certainly will gain more money through investing than vs. the price increase of the tickets. Plus, you have the added piece of mind of having the money if something comes up. If nothing else, wait until late July to buy tickets, for if I recall, ticket price adjustments happen in August.

If nothing else, wait until late July to buy tickets, for if I recall, ticket price adjustments happen in August.

This past year the increase hit much earlier. It was right before the start of the summer season. I don't remember the exact date but it was May or June.

This past year the increase hit much earlier. It was right before the start of the summer season. I don't remember the exact date but it was May or June.

Good call.

Walt Disney World Ticket Price Increase 2011

It was announced this afternoon that Disney was increasing ticket prices, yet again. This increase comes a bit earlier than usual, as most of the time in the recent past, Disney has increased ticket prices in August.

It sounds like you are still 22 months away from your next Disney Vacation. Next time I would take the $607 and invest it (from a CD at your credit union to a stock purchase program at work, etc.). You almost certainly will gain more money through investing than vs. the price increase of the tickets. Plus, you have the added piece of mind of having the money if something comes up. If nothing else, wait until late July to buy tickets, for if I recall, ticket price adjustments happen in August.

Yeah that's a good plan.

....but I guess this way it kind of "locks us in" to having to go to Disney again. :rotfl:

Normally I would agree with this strategy to keep your money liquid. But last year's price increase was 3.7% on a 1-day base ticket and as much as 11.1% on a 10-day pass!!!! http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._annual-pass-prices-ticket-prices-base-ticket

I haven't seen any 24 month CD rates that would compare to that. And with the stock market being so volatile, I would not expect that kind of return in the short term.

If the OP's plans are solid, or she at least knows for certain that she will be vacationing at Disney at some point in the next few years, then I don't think that it's such a bad idea to purchase her tickets before the next price increase takes effect.

Normally I would agree with this strategy to keep your money liquid. But last year's price increase was 3.7% on a 1-day base ticket and as much as 11.1% on a 10-day pass!!!! http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._annual-pass-prices-ticket-prices-base-ticket

I haven't seen any 24 month CD rates that would compare to that. And with the stock market being so volatile, I would not expect that kind of return in the short term.

If the OP's plans are solid, or she at least knows for certain that she will be vacationing at Disney at some point in the next few years, then I don't think that it's such a bad idea to purchase her tickets before the next price increase takes effect.

:thumbsup2

Thanks! This makes me feel better :yay:

OP- the ticket price increases FAR exceeded any short term interest rate you would get on your money.

If you KNOW you are going to go SOMEDAY again, buying tickets was a much better "investment" than a savings account or short term CD.

Now.... if you (speaking generally) have credit card debt you are paying 15-20+% interest one, you are better off putting the money against your balance since you are "saving" that 15-20+% (and let's HOPE that ticket prices don't increase that much annually!!!)

Kind of like the usps "forever" stamp... :-)

OP- the ticket price increases FAR exceeded any short term interest rate you would get on your money.

If you KNOW you are going to go SOMEDAY again, buying tickets was a much better "investment" than a savings account or short term CD.

Now.... if you (speaking generally) have credit card debt you are paying 15-20+% interest one, you are better off putting the money against your balance since you are "saving" that 15-20+% (and let's HOPE that ticket prices don't increase that much annually!!!)

Oh... hehe no debt here except for the mortgage, which we put more into each month than our required monthly payment anyway, so I think we're good in that camp :goodvibes

when you start looking at all it takes to run WDW
Castmembers, lights, water, maintence, paint, etc it all adds up

(I'm not including food since you have to paid for that)

Yeah, it stings when you buy the tickets but you have to keep in mind what you get for them. The undercovertourist tickets are about $328 for a 7 day parkhopper. That's only $46 a day. For $46 you get a whole day of unlimited entertainment. Not much else compares to that. A movie ticket now costs almost $15 around here and that is only for an hour and a half of entertainment. The local six flags wants $57 for a single day ticket and you don't have the option of 4 huge parks to choose from. It hurts to buy them but it is nice once you get down there not to have to shell out all sorts of money each day.

Keith

So, if you buy WDW tickets now and you don't go until 2013 or 2014 you don't have to pay the difference in price at the gate? What if you upgraded to an AP (WDW or Premier), what price would you get credit for? Just wondering, we've never been to WDW but we have been discussing a trip in the next few years. I wonder if it would be a good idea to buy tickets now?

Buying tickets early can lock you out of a package deal which can be a better deal overall.

So, if you buy WDW tickets now and you don't go until 2013 or 2014 you don't have to pay the difference in price at the gate? What if you upgraded to an AP (WDW or Premier), what price would you get credit for? Just wondering, we've never been to WDW but we have been discussing a trip in the next few years. I wonder if it would be a good idea to buy tickets now?

As long as you use the tickets to enter a park before you try to upgrade, it will use the current gate price (on that date) as the base amount to upgrade from. There's tons of info on this in the Sticky ticket info thread by Cheshire Figment.

You can buy your tickets now and use them in 2013 or 2014. Tickets aren't valid until the first time they are used at the gate and are valid for 14 days from first use. Unless of course you bought the non-expiring tickets.

No you would not have to pay the difference at the gate.

I don't have an AP, so hopefully someone else can help answer that question for you.

Buying tickets early can lock you out of a package deal which can be a better deal overall.
You bring up a good point that anyone who stays onsite should consider. For some guests, it's cheaper to do a room discount even when a package deal is available.

For instance, take the current Buy3 Stay4 offer. It's essentially a 25% room discount and an $11/guest ticket discount. And it's only good for a 4-night stay. Anyone staying longer is going to pay the rack rate for the rest of the nights and the additional cost of more days on their tickets. I can get a 30%-off room discount for a deluxe room which would be a greater savings for us (two adults) than the package deal would be. But not everyone would see the same savings. Someone with a family of two adults and children staying in a value room may do better with the package since the room-only discount is only 20%.

Generally speaking, the smaller your party (sounds like 2 for the OP), the less likely it is that the package deals are the better deal. I travel solo and with the exception of the buy 4, get 3 free deal they had a couple years ago when the economy was really in the toilet, packages are never the better deal for me. I doubt we'll see that discount again anytime soon. I've priced out packages for 2 too, just in case I was going to have company, and again, room only discounts, and tickets discounted through Mousesavers or AAA are the better deal, over package discounts.
Bigger families would be wise to take the package thing into consideration, as they can be a better deal for them, but with the increase in tourism in Orlando over the last year, package discounts aren't going to be as good as they've been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter