Oh No! We leave Wednesday, and the weather looks horrible!

disneyfanforever

DIS Veteran
We leave for a week at the Hard Rock on Wednesday, and I just checked the forecast. It shows a 30% to 60% chance of rain each day! Does it normally rain all day in Orlando? I am so worried as so many of the rides my kids want to ride won't operate in the rain. We have planned this for so long that I could just cry. Does anyone have any words of advice?

I haven't spent time on these boards in forever, but saw your post and thought I'd chime in, but hopefully someone with better info will come along... My recollection from the years I lived in central Florida is that this time of year we would get horrible rain in the afternoon, but it didn't last long. It will rain like crazy, but only for an hour or so and then the weather will clear and you will get a great evening.

We were there Jun 5-10, and the forecast was much the same. It poured part of the time we were there, but even on the day when it was 70% chance of rain, we had a good 6 hours in the park, with the ponchos out only once.

The good news is that b/c the weather forecast was so crappy the whole time we were there, the parks were nearly empty. We walked on to rides. Waits were minimal. Crowds were minimal. We didn't swelter like we did in 2009 (my dh said he would never go back in the summer after going in June 2009). It was great to be in the park in the 70s instead of 90+.

Just take your ponchos and shoes that can get wet, and hats, and enjoy yourselves. :)

(we took the 88 cent ponchos from Walmart, nice Columbia hat with big brims, nylon hiking shorts, and everyone had either Keen sandals or a high end mesh water hiking shoe)

DO take some games and snacks for in the room though - we had several evenings where it rained cats and dogs for hours, to the point where we ate pbj in the room b/c we didn't want to go out in the awful rain. The games and snacks were a big help.

I agree with PPs, I was there last June and even when it rained it wasn't for long! But if it does pour remember you're at HRH. Go tour your hotel. There are great things to see there. Definitely take CindiLooWhos advice and take games.

Native Floridian chiming in. This is standard forecasting for this time of year. Typical weather pattern from now through September is hot, humid, and a chance of passing thunderstorms, usually in the afternoon. Most days these storms are brief--if they happen at all--but they can also on rare occasions last several hours.

I would still tour the parks. There is a lot that is indoors, just watch that A/C if you get wet. Also get to the parks early before the storms roll in.

Relax. There's a 30-60% chance of rain every day in the summer here in Orlando. Remember, we're surrounded on 3 sides by water and when the warm air over land collides with the cool air off of the water storms happen. Usually, they're pretty scattershot. It's unusual for it to rain all day this time of year (not unheard of...but unusual). When it does, duck inside somewhere. You should be doing that anyway in the summer heat.

Relax. There's a 30-60% chance of rain every day in the summer here in Orlando. Remember, we're surrounded on 3 sides by water and when the warm air over land collides with the cool air off of the water storms happen. Usually, they're pretty scattershot. It's unusual for it to rain all day this time of year (not unheard of...but unusual). When it does, duck inside somewhere. You should be doing that anyway in the summer heat.
:thumbsup2

Thank you guys so much. I feel a lot better after reading all of your posts. I can deal with a thunder shower every now and again. I just don't want it to be a complete washout. Thanks again!

Me too ... I have been trying to avoid looking at forecasts because it is only going to drive me crazy. However, I just looked at Weather Underground and now Saturday says rain, 80% chance, and Tuesday chance of rain, 80% All the rest of my days say thunderstorms, 50-60% chance. ARGGHHGHGH!

Like the OP, I can certainly deal with a passing storm or two, but really hope it doesn't rain the whole time. :guilty:

Me too ... I have been trying to avoid looking at forecasts because it is only going to drive me crazy. However, I just looked at Weather Underground and now Saturday says rain, 80% chance, and Tuesday chance of rain, 80% All the rest of my days say thunderstorms, 50-60% chance. ARGGHHGHGH!

Like the OP, I can certainly deal with a passing storm or two, but really hope it doesn't rain the whole time. :guilty:
If you guys are going to look at the long range forecast, at least see the forecast from a local source. Remember the weather cannot be trusted more than 36 hours ahead of time so don't sweat it. Forget the Weather Underground and stick one of our local stations.

www.wftv.com

www.clickorlando.com

www.orlandosentinel.com

www.wesh.com

These short range forecasts do not show anything over 50% precipitation and that's on Sunday and Monday.

Dont stress about the weather too much! We were just there Jun7 thru 10
and it was the same way. the day we arrived, we got pool time in, but the night was a total washout. Poured and I mean POURED!! We just hung out at the Hard Rock. The next day we didn;t have rain til night, and it was overcast but that kept it cooler. We only needed to wear our ponchos Friday night, and it was only light rain then it stopped. Sat it poured again, but only from about 5 pm til 6:30, we hung out in Finnagins during this time :goodvibes then got in on a soft opening for Minion Mayham :banana:
and we got to ride RRR and we saw the fireworks while we were riding, it was awesome!!
Sunday was beautiful all day! Bright blue sky and hot!
When we went to leave from Orlando Int'l, we did have a nasty storm and had to sit on the plane for an hour and a half til the thunder and lightening passed, but that's Orlando ;)
We had a wonderful time, and you will too

Thank you guys for the encouragement, lol!

And the links! (although now I find myself obsessively checking four websites) :rotfl:

Trying to relax ... I know to expect some rain, and I know not to really trust the forecasts anyway, but you know how it is. Worrying!

I am sure we will make the best of it regardless!

I am trying really, really hard not to be upset (or, errr, devastated) but this really isn't looking good. Leaving tomorrow, kinda hard to ignore at this point.

I don't suppose there is anything I can do, but if the weather turns out as bad as some are saying, the kids will be distraught. They've been waiting since opening for a chance to see WWoHP. :sad1:

I don't suppose there is anything I can do, but if the weather turns out as bad as some are saying, the kids will be distraught. They've been waiting since opening for a chance to see WWoHP. :sad1:
Have a good trip and I'll see what I can do about the weather. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter