Oh no....Universal layoffs

Haystack

Earning My Ears
man....that stinks.

It seems they tried to hang on to everyone during the closure but the opening maybe wasn't as lucrative as they thought?

I hope they didn't wait for the reopen to do this just to save face....so to speak.

Wondering if the the reason is because of low attendance, or upcoming lower capacity or closure anticipated due to increasing virus cases? And now reports of employee cases increasing there too. All the uncertainty in the world seems to just continue on, as we take one day at a time. We're still holding out hope for a mini family reunion trip to Universal in early August. (it would be our first time there in over 10 years). If it works out, great. If it doesn't, there will be another opportunity someday. Luckily for me, since we live in Florida now, we would be able to drive, and wouldn't have to get flights. Hope we have a better understanding soon for what's going on there

Reactions: shh
Wondering if the the reason is because of low attendance, or upcoming lower capacity or closure anticipated due to increasing virus cases? And now reports of employee cases increasing there too. All the uncertainty in the world seems to just continue on, as we take one day at a time. We're still holding out hope for a mini family reunion trip to Universal in early August. (it would be our first time there in over 10 years). If it works out, great. If it doesn't, there will be another opportunity someday. Luckily for me, since we live in Florida now, we would be able to drive, and wouldn't have to get flights. Hope we have a better understanding soon for what's going on there
This seems quick after reopening.....like they knew it would happen. I know I wouldn't have enough financial data since June 5th to make this type of decision. But I can say that lightly.....maybe they can predict and mitigate better than I can.

They definitely had a good chunk of food carts closed this past weekend.

I actually felt like they were on the verge of needing more people there but they're used to crowds 7 days a week not just a Saturday every once in a while.

I was wondering if they would be closing again due to the increase
in cases. also I noticed that the park hours end on July 26th. Kinda odd they would end before the month of July .

I was wondering if they would be closing again due to the increase
in cases. also I noticed that the park hours end on July 26th. Kinda odd they would end before the month of July .
I noticed that too. My hope was that they were anticipating the possibility of extending the hours by then. But I suppose that by not posting them, it gives them the option of increasing the hours or leaving them as is. I guess time will tell.

I was telling everyone that worked there "welcome back....i know you're happy" and they all responded with joy and relief.

I wonder how this went over. The local article said they're working with them. I hope it's sufficient.

I always feel bad for people in these situations. I don't usually have a ton of empathy (call it a curse) but when the Covid happened and things were shutting down my initial attention went right to those lives flipped upside down.

I noticed that too. My hope was that they were anticipating the possibility of extending the hours by then. But I suppose that by not posting them, it gives them the option of increasing the hours or leaving them as is. I guess time will tell.

You are correct, I called just to hear what would be said. The lady at guest services said they are thinking about extending hours.

Not as large of crowds, means you don't need as many employees. Plus the delay of Epic Universe wouldn't require the employees working on that project either. Universal is a business just trying to survive in a very unpredictable world. I'd hate to be the people deciding this. I feel sad for the employees. It will be hard for them to find jobs elsewhere.

Last edited:
Not as large of crowds, means you don't need as many employees. Plus the delay of Epic Universe wouldn't require the employees working on that project either. Universal is a business just trying to survive in a very unpredictable world. I'd hate to be the people deciding this. I feel for the sad for the employees. It will be hard for them to find job elsewhere.
Agree 100%.

Low attendance is better than no attendance and still getting paid. So I have to think they are fearing more closures as the COVID runs rampant from the large gathering protests, conventions, etc.

Timing wise this comes right after Disneyland announced indefinite postponement in California.

From what I understand a lot of this was back of the house so with projects cancelled and so much unknown I'm guessing there were not a lot of options. I doubt its related to the current attendance - they are not that reactionary to the near term - and it's more related to whatever planning they have been doing for the last month or two. These were not people that interact directly with customers so you cant really move them to those potions. They are also most likely higher paid and have a ton of experience that you dont want to loose if you can avoid it. It's not great, but like Disney, it is a business at the end of the day - there is only so much they can do.

From rumors one example is Fear factor is closing and everyone manager and above was let go.

From what I understand a lot of this was back of the house so with projects cancelled and so much unknown I'm guessing there were not a lot of options. I doubt its related to the current attendance - they are not that reactionary to the near term - and it's more related to whatever planning they have been doing for the last month or two. These were not people that interact directly with customers so you cant really move them to those potions. They are also most likely higher paid and have a ton of experience that you dont want to loose if you can avoid it. It's not great, but like Disney, it is a business at the end of the day - there is only so much they can do.

From rumors one example is Fear factor is closing and everyone manager and above was let go.
What projects were cancelled?

I feel for anyone who is suffering due to the pandemic, healthwise or monetary.

Now that the economy is slowing, we are starting to see the inevitable, visible effects in work staffing. Why would the situation be any different at the Orlando amusement parks?

Where I live most, even those who were deemed ‘essential’ from the get-go, are on either sporadic layoffs or have their hours cut to either 40 hours or less.

There is a big difference between an permanent furlough and a temporary lay off with an anticipated date of return. Things will eventually bounce back but our new normal may be different in many way, including leisure activities.

Take pics for us from your window.
:rolleyes1

We got some amazing pictures from the Orlando Eye in September last year. It really showed us just how large that piece of land was seeing it from above.

Postponed or not, it looks to be amazing when it`s complete.

Epic Universe is/was being built right across Sand Lake Road from our office park. You see some activity every now and then but nothing like it was around the first of the year.

I like looking at photos posted by @bioreconstruct really some great shots.....

The other “know it’s all’s”.........best ignored!:teeth:

I saw some pics posted today of UEU and it looked to have a lot of water standing throughout the property........

Have you had more rain then usual?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter