Oh No! The dreaded stomach bug

mel373

Mouseketeer
We have been here for a week and my two oldest girls both got the stomach bug last night and this morning.

Any ideas where to get Lysol to try to protect my other daughter and my husband and myself? I already emptied the little can I brought in the last hotel we stayed. We just did a resort switch. Gift shops don't have and hotel doesn't have anything.

Totally freaking out. We are here for my daughters sweet 16 trip and I feel awful that she is down. She wanted this trip for Epcot and these next two days were supposed to be Epcot days.

We never get sick and did everything to prevent this but the way people sneeze around here is disgusting. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people that just don't cover their mouths and just spray all over a crowded line or on the bus or just in the air around everyone. So gross....

Anyone know if this is a bad one going around down here? And where to get Lysol??

why not just take an uber to a drugstore (i know that there is a Walgreens about 5-10 minutes away). This way you can pick up whatever you need.

I think it's always going around the parks. For all you know the person who had the room ahead of you spent most of their time in the room sick.

I second the idea of taking an Uber to Walgreens and stocking up on whatever helps through the crisis.

I'm so sorry your daughter isn't getting to fully enjoy her trip.

I'd drive or take an uber to Target and get wipes, medicine, Gatorade, and whatever you guys might need

And Amazon Prime Pantry (if you have it) has two-hour delivery to Disney resorts.

EDIT - NM, I think I misread this.

Last edited:
Sorry this is happening to your daughter It always seems to happen to us (we're calamity Janes on vacation). The only thing my DD really wanted to do her first trip was meet Elsa and Anna. Guess what day she was down? The day we had an E&A FP. We have mostly run across 24 hr bugs in the parks so hopefully your daughter will be able to go to Epcot the second day. Also, our other DD was throwing up all night on our USO trip in Nov and no one else got it even though we didn't have Lysol. Everyone just stayed out of the room as much as possible and washed hands religiously. Sending good health vibes your way.

Last edited:
Definitely go to Walgreens and get lysol. But also get Culturelle and have everyone take it. It is a very strong probiotic and will help your daughters get well, as well as protect everyone else. My son had stomach virus FIVE times from Sept - Christmas when he was a toddler and the pediatrician recommended Culturelle. It helped him feel better so much faster (like within 24 hrs), and now we keep some in the house at all times!!

I think it's always around, think of all the surfaces you touch, the ride handles, door knobs, ropes etc. Then think about all the people who have touched them, kids that have licked them (the pooh queue comes to mind!) Wash wash wash hands, don't touch face, use gel when you can't wash (washing is better though because gel does not kill stomach bug.)

I agree with taking uber or cab to local drugstore. Get lysol, which does kill stomach bug, and some wipes to wipe down the room. I also agree with probiotics, not sure if it's too late now though, I think you have to take them ahead of time. Thats about all you can do. I also read that if someone in the family has a tummy bug, have all the healthy people drink grape juice. Not the sugary stuff, but the concord grape Welchs stuff. People swear by it, google it. It supposedly has something in it to protect you from it. If you are already vomiting though, it does no good.

What resort are you at? I think there is a Hess station you can walk to from DD maybe? Not sure if they would have what you need though.

Also, be carful when someone vomits, that is a big factor in how it spreads. Spores are released in the air and you breathe them in. It is important for you to spray down the bathroom with lysol since you are all sharing one bathroom.

I also agree with probiotics, not sure if it's too late now though, I think you have to take them ahead of time.

It actually will help even if already sick. We have LOTS of experience, even though I wish we didn't ;)

So sorry this happened, getting sick on vacation is the absolute worst:(!! I know what you mean, even at buffets I see people sneezing & then touching the serving tongs, etc.. that's how noroviruses and stomach bugs spread.
I would recommend the purell hand sanitizer as well. Hope its a 24 hour thing and she will be well enough to enjoy Epcot. Good luck & keep us posted!

Any soap will work, not just Lysol. Lysol is likely to kill all the good bacteria on your skin that is trying to protect you. Yeah I know it's being challenged right now but you don't want to kill it off - that will make things worse!

I would take a washcloth, stick it in a ziploc, get a bar of soap, add a bit of water and make a bubbly soap-wipe. Then just have a matching dry towel to wipe up after. Wipe everything, try not to touch public things, keep hands out of eyes/ears/nose/mouth. Wash your hands a lot - up to the elbows! Wash anything with sleeves or cuffs that might be brushing against you constantly and spreading germs. They say doctor's lab coats are the most disgusting thing ever... so do some laundry! :)

Unfortunately, Lysol will not help you (they say 99.99% of germs, but not the most important one in my opinion!!!). The only thing that kills norovirus (stomach bugs) is bleach, or cleaners with bleach.

Please be sure to tell the previous hotel you were at that you had sick people in the room so hopefully they can give it a deep clean for the next guests in that room.

I wouldn't worry too much about sneezing. Norovirus is spread from fecal/vomit to mouth contact. Norovirus can be excreted in your stool, after you are sick, for up to 2 weeks. So, someone who recently had the virus, had a bowel movement (or threw up), didn't wash their hands properly, touched something, and then your daughter touched the same surface this person touched and then either touched her face or touched food and then ate it. It's rather gross, but so are a ton of people! At Disney, you touch thousands of surfaces, touched by thousands of other people each day in the parks (handrails, doors, finger scanners, safety bars, pins, cash, pin pads on credit card machines, menus, chairs, tables, etc.. The most important thing is washing your hands with soap and water very frequently, not touching your face, and always washing before eating. There are some hand sanitizers that kill norovirus, but not all do. And of course that is better than nothing, but soap and water is best. Be sure not to touch anything after washing, such as faucet, doors, etc, before you eat. Even trays, menus, etc, even ketchup bottles and salt shakers are covered in germs. In studies they show those have more germs than toilet seats even!

I really feel bad for you, as this is my worst nightmare :( I hope she feels better soon. To prevent further spread, ensure your sick daughter washes extra, extra good after using the restroom, especially when she has a bowel movement. Give her her own hand towel to use after using the washroom, even her own bar of soap if that is what you are using. And I'd keep her in the hotel until she has been vomit and loose stool free for at least 24 hours. If you can get some bleach or bleach products (uber to the store is a great idea) you can clean out the washroom pretty good. You may want to get some gloves as well for when you're cleaning.

Best of luck and I hope she feels better soon!

We have been here for a week and my two oldest girls both got the stomach bug last night and this morning.

Any ideas where to get Lysol to try to protect my other daughter and my husband and myself? I already emptied the little can I brought in the last hotel we stayed. We just did a resort switch. Gift shops don't have and hotel doesn't have anything.

Totally freaking out. We are here for my daughters sweet 16 trip and I feel awful that she is down. She wanted this trip for Epcot and these next two days were supposed to be Epcot days.

We never get sick and did everything to prevent this but the way people sneeze around here is disgusting. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people that just don't cover their mouths and just spray all over a crowded line or on the bus or just in the air around everyone. So gross....

Anyone know if this is a bad one going around down here? And where to get Lysol??

you don't need the Lysol - it probably added to the chances of getting sick by getting rid of the good microbes your body uses to fight off the the bad ones. By now you've all been exposed to the virus anyways. Stay hydrated, well rested, wash hands with soap and water, keep your hands away from your face. Open the door to your hotel room to let the air circulate, or open a window if they are the opening kind. Hope you all feel better soon!

I'm so sorry you all got sick. I'd 2nd/3rd/4th the posters who say to get an Uber and go to Walmart and grab anything and everything you want when sick - we are a saltines, iced green tea with honey, and apples/bananas survivors (and then we do chicken and rice once we can eat real food). We've had illnesses about every other trip to Florida, so we are used to managing this (usually it's just me getting motion sick for 24 hours from the travel there, which is why we don't do any parks on arrival day, but we have had a trip or two with ill kids)...I'd also suggest taking it very easy once they get better. One year, we got a double stroller for the 2 recovered sick kids (even though they were 8 and 6) just so they wouldn't wear out so fast after being better, b/c even after you aren't ill, it's 2-3 days before your system resets and you have made up your calorie and water deficit and doing that in 90 degree heat and humidity trying to walk miles per day makes that harder...

Any update OP?
Thank you everyone!
We never found Lysol anywhere on property. We were staying at the Boardwalk so we walked to the Hess station across the street (which is a dangerous walk with no sidewalks at night!). I found Clorox wipes there. We also had housekeeping come and disinfect the bathroom.

We got home last night and I took my oldest to first med here and she has strep not the stomach virus! I am happy about that since I was fearing the rest of us getting the dreaded stomach bug. My other daughter only gagged and threw up that one morning and it was so minimal I think she was just freaking herself out that her sister threw up. She was totally fine the rest of the trip.

My daughter with the strep slept most of the time we had left there but no more throwing up and she never had it out the other end. I wish I would have thought of strep on Saturday and took her to first med there to get some meds to feel better but I really thought it was that stomach bug. We ended up cancelling all our remaining dining that she was so looking forward to.

Otherwise we had an awesome trip with great weather. It was soooo crowded but with FP , rope drop and rider swap etc we waited for hardly anything.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter