Oh no! Not the Selfie-Sticks...

UpstateMick

DIS Veteran
We are heading to the World in 15 days. I spoke with a colleague who just returned from a six day trip and she said that "Selfie-Sticks" have taken over the "Watch me use Flash Photography on Dark Rides!" and "Look, my I-Pad is a Camera!" annoying habits in the parks. I thought that Disney had a policy against tripods and things of those nature? She said these "Selfie-Sticks" were responsible for ride-stoppage, parade-blocking, firework-guarding, and many other annoyances.

Has anyone heard that this has been problematic? I wonder what Disney does about this one? :confused3

Noooooo! I cannot stand people who think it's ok to use flash photography on a dark ride! We are going in June, and I am not afraid to reprimand someone for this!

It's bad. Like super annoying super stupid bad. They are everywhere, and my Ds nearly got whacked in the head during some m&g with characters.

Went to the marathon weekend, and people were running with them- I can't imagine how that was affecting other runners!

Problem is, I think, people who have no idea how to use them or be courteous to others are using them. At least 90% or so of tripod users understand cameras and give personal space to others. Sticks are available to anybody which increases the obnoxious of them.
Add them to the iPad list of most annoying guests at WDW. Just wanted to grab the sticks out of their hands and whack them with it.

They were EVERYWHERE when we we there earlier this month. It was like a crazy epidemic. So, so, so, so annyoying. :crazy2: You know what's a great idea in a crowded place? Using a stick that allows you to hold your stupid cell phone four feet out from your body. :rolleyes2

People are so obsessed with taking pictures of themselves. A little of that is fine but so much of it? I'd also hate to walk around with a stick like that.

I was at MK yesterday and I saw maybe three selfie sticks, none of which were doing anything annoying. I did not see one tablet that was annoying and not one flash on a dark ride. And I am a photographer and all of those things annoy me.

Lol yes, those darn sticks are everywhere! We got here on Wednesday and I have seen people with them everywhere. That being said I haven't experienced any ill side effects from them (well one person using one to record themselves walking, ran into a garbage can. I laughed/spit out part of my beverage so I guess that is like 15 cents wasted) but I definitely think they make the users of them look ridiculous (not that they care what I think of them).

Oh dear, well dont hate me to much but I will also be taking a selfie stick with me when we go in November.

I will not use my flash on dark rides never have, and those that are I suspect still would with or without a stick, nor to film during parades, but again don't see the harm in that if you are holding it up in front of you on the stick, just saves your arms from getting tired :confused3.

The reason I will be taking one is so all our family can all be in a photo together, I don't think that its selfish, its a holiday of course you want to take lots of photos and as long as you are not in anyone else's way or spoiling their enjoyment I don't see why that would annoy other park goers.

Of course there are a small number of people that are oblivious to those around them :sad2:

cal:)

Oh dear, well dont hate me to much but I will also be taking a selfie stick with me when we go in November.

I will not use my flash on dark rides never have, and those that are I suspect still would with or without a stick, nor to film during parades, but again don't see the harm in that if you are holding it up in front of you on the stick, just saves your arms from getting tired :confused3.

The reason I will be taking one is so all our family can all be in a photo together, I don't think that its selfish, its a holiday of course you want to take lots of photos and as long as you are not in anyone else's way or spoiling their enjoyment I don't see why that would annoy other park goers.

Of course there are a small number of people that are oblivious to those around them :sad2:

I don't hate selfie stick users, I just can't figure out the logic of carrying a stick around all day. How many photos do you need of yourself? Why not just have one of the Disney photographers take the shot since they are everywhere?

I don't hate selfie stick users, I just can't figure out the logic of carrying a stick around all day. How many photos do you need of yourself? Why not just have one of the Disney photographers take the shot since they are everywhere?

Agreed! What on earth did we do before "the selfie" to get group pictures?

Yes, selfie sticks are annoying. They allow a person to take up more than their own personal space, and 99% of the time the user is completely unaware that they aren't the only person in a 2 mile radius.

The selfie and the selfie stick are breeding an entire generation of super narcissists. I fear for my daughter's generation. No joke. "Look at me! Look at me! Let me post this picture of myself on Facebook for the 5000th time." Remember when we did things other than take pictures of ourselves all day and post them online?

That being said I understand the function of the selfie stick and think it's neat. It's really the constant need to take pictures of oneself that makes me shake my head.

I'm a little slow when it comes to fads. When we were at WDW last November I saw my first selfie stick. At first I thought it was a great idea but slowly began to realize this could get to be annoying.

hi, wasn't implying that you personally hate selfie users, it was a post in general to all :goodvibes .The stick is light weight and collapse down so it fits into your backpack so to me its no extra hassle.

you make it sound like I'm vain and constantly want to take photos of myself :rotfl2: I can assure you that's not the case. When we are on holiday we take lots and lots of photos, don't think I'm alone on that one. Its not about quantity but about being together in a photo. If there is a Disney photographer around we use them, last holiday we purchased the photopass. Its just sometimes they are not around when you want to take a photo and the stick comes in handy at those times. :thumbsup2

hi, wasn't implying that you personally hate selfie users, it was a post in general to all :goodvibes .The stick is light weight and collapse down so it fits into your backpack so to me its no extra hassle.

you make it sound like I'm vain and constantly want to take photos of myself :rotfl2: I can assure you that's not the case. When we are on holiday we take lots and lots of photos, don't think I'm alone on that one. Its not about quantity but about being together in a photo. If there is a Disney photographer around we use them, last holiday we purchased the photopass. Its just sometimes they are not around when you want to take a photo and the stick comes in handy at those times. :thumbsup2

No, I understand why you're using the selfie stick! Just don't walk around all day taking selfie stick photos of yourself. LOL!! :rotfl2:

We noticed a lot of these when we visited in early January --- not so much on the rides, but just walking around the parks. And, people weren't using them for selfies, but more to hold their phone and video as they were walking. Doesn't bother me so much, but in some cases, people were focused on watching the screen and not watching where they were going, which was annoying (especially in crowded areas).

No, I understand why you're using the selfie stick! Just don't walk around all day taking selfie stick photos of yourself. LOL!! :rotfl2:

lol if I did that my family would think I was ill, I never have a photo of just me I don't even have a facebook or a dis photo, but I do like family photos. I have a complete wall of framed photos of my family its lovely to look at and the memories it brings ,because to me that.s what photos are all about, memories.

I'm fairly confident they are going to get banned from rides at some point this year.

Yeah. I don't see them continuing to allow them to be used on rides. We had someone using one on Splash on our log in December and I kept expecting him to whack it on something. It was very distracting. Although seeing the phone drop into the water might have been an interesting addition to the ride.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter