Oh no, my 4 yr old broke her leg!

maciemouse

DIS Veteran
Okay here is the deal. We are supposed to go to Disney the first week of March. My little girl broke her leg over the weekend. She got her hard cast yesterday along with a wheelchair. The cast covers the entire leg. We are not yet sure how long she will be in it. We go in six weeks to get another xray and new cast. She broke her tibia. Anyway we are trying to decide what to do. We thought about rescheduling. My husband just does not want to have to worry about heat and big crowds if we reschedule. (especially if she is still in a cast). So what should we do? She would attempt to go ahead to go and keep her in the wheelchair? Or should we put it off to the fall? My little girl is going to be so upset. She has literally been counting down the days.

I have no advice, but I'm so sorry to hear this. Either way you and she must be so disappointed.

I am so sorry. It is my understanding that if you have a guest in a wheelchair you are always ushered to the front of the line.

So so so so sorry! :(
Do you have travel insurance - as in, would you be able to reschedule and not lose anything?
I must admit, ever since having a kid I am also always worried about what if they get sick or whatever before travel date - I never used to worry about it before.

Here is just my opinion:

First, consult with your doctor to give a very realistic picture of what her state will be by the time of your trip.
Second, if it will in any way be the case where she is not at her best and Disneyworld is something you do just once in a blue moon, consider rescheduling. Why go if she won't enjoy it to the full?
I would gently explain that to her, but also give her input in the choice. If she makes the decision, she will feel better about it. And there will just be more days to count down and dream!

Wow, that is really too bad. I wouldn't be too terribly concerned with the fun factor...i'm sure she'll still have the time of her life, cast or no cast! Once the "Disney Magic" kicks in, she won't even be thinking about her leg!

:thumbsup2

I am so sorry. I have no answer just wanted to say I hope she feels better soon.

Like another poster mentioned, do you have trip insurance? If so, it may be best to move the trip back a few weeks.

I think that getting through Disney would be fine; and I'm sure she would receive LOTS of special treatment from the characters and cast members. ~She has the wheelchair for transportation.
~The weather is not so hot that she will be uncomfortable.
~I'm sure she's light enough to lift out of the wheelchair for loading onto Disney transportation and/or rides.
~The majority of casts have some sort of waterproof construction so she could still have some "pool time".

However, I'm not sure if you'll be cleared to fly with a hard casted leg. Definitely check with your doctor though and see what he/she has to say.

I am so sorry. It is my understanding that if you have a guest in a wheelchair you are always ushered to the front of the line.

That's absolutely not true. Guests in wheelchairs and their parties are expected to wait in line with everyone else unless the queue area cannot accomodate a wheelchair, in which case they are given an alternate area to wait. In some cases that area is near the Fast Pass entrance and guests can go ahead and ride without a long wait, but it's not a given - and it's totally at the discretion of the Cast Member.

There is NO special treatment given for anyone in a wheelchair.

OP, go ahead and go!!!! You can use the wheelchair to transport your daughter or you can move her to one of the Disney strollers if it makes her more comfortable. Just know that you might take it a little slow at times - but there's no reason to spoil the trip - it will still be magical!!!!!

Suggest u call & ask the Ortho surgeon & family Ped as to recommendation, may not be a judgement call:confused3

Is it her first trip? If so, i'd want it to be as perfect as possible; hate to say it, yet imo her comfort trumps any inconvenience of rescheduling @ this point:goodvibes

i'd def move it back...perhaps May or early June before things get really crowded & hot

hope it all works out for u:wizard:

1) If this is a Summer vacation, I would reschedule.
2) The heat and her leg sweating could be quite uncomfortable.
3) Besides, she will be very limited on the rides she can access.
4) A straight-leg due a cast hampers seating.
5) Also, CM's will not take a chance on re-injury.

1) If this is a Summer vacation, I would reschedule.
2) The heat and her leg sweating could be quite uncomfortable.
3) Besides, she will be very limited on the rides she can access.
4) A straight-leg due a cast hampers seating.
5) Also, CM's will not take a chance on re-injury.

They're going the first week in March - ie two weeks from now.

OP, I still think you should go!!! May and/or early June is still going to be VERY hot - it doesn't really matter what the temperature and humidity numbers are - once you hit the "summer" temps it is a hot and sweaty (although still fun!) trip. Go in March!!!!

Hop on over to the DISabilities board. They are a WEALTH of information. My sister broke her foot the month before our WDW trip and we couldn't reschedule. Her doctor gave her the go ahead, but that foot had to remain completely non weight bearing.

We rented an ECV for her with the crutch holder on the back (that was a lifesaver!!). I think you'll have to get a manual wheelchair for your daughter, but I would 100% recommend the crutch holder so someone isn't lugging them around the entire time. It was difficult at times, but as long as she could transfer, she could ride most everything, with only a few exceptions.

She was a trooper and tried most things once, but rides like Pirates and Space Mtn were very hard to transfer into, so we could only ride them once.

We did receive a Guest Assistance Card, which in some instances did help us to get to the front of the line. This was only really the case in the Magic Kingdom, due to the fact that the queues were built (in a lot of cases) in the 1970s. Yes, that was helpful, but if I never have to repeat that experience again, that's fine with me!! If you go to Guest Relations at the first park you visit you can get one issued for the duration of your trip for up to 6 people.

The CMs were beyond helpful and answered any and all questions we had about being in Disney with a wheelchair.

Bottom line is that it is completely doable as long as your doctor says it's ok. And again, the DISabilities board was an enormous help.

I also think you should still go - since your DD is 4 she won't be missing out on the thrill rides and the cast will make the trip all the more memorable.

Of course, if the Ortho recommends against it that's a different story.

What a shame! That's tough call.

The other thing you want to think about is getting there. I don't know if you're driving or flying, or how long the trip is, but a long trip in a full cast, especially in a cramped airplane, may be a bit much.

and it was very stressful for her. I can imagine it being more so for an even littler one. I would reschedule for sure. Using crutches/wheelchair is hard in any circumstance but in a crowd it would be terrible. You can't imagine how many peole could care less that your DD is on crutches/wheelchair they will bump into her and pretend they don't see her.
My DD had to give up ballet for the semester, but she got over it. Maybe start a new countdown. Good luck and I am sorry to hear about her broken leg.
Elizabeth

Sorry to hear about your daughter, :(

Thought I'd just throw in a little something to think about though as you're making your decision.

My daughter broke her tibia when she was just shy of 4 yrs old, was in the full-leg cast for 6 wks...

When she got it off, it was a full 6 wks after that before she was walking semi-"normal". I was concerned about that at the time... she had a very pronounced limp for quite a while... but her ortho doc said it was perfectly normal and each kid goes at their own pace.

So if you are thinking about re-scheduling, unless you're planning on taking her around in a stroller, I would not think about trying for any earlier than about 12 wks from now.

GO!!!!! My daughter has Muscular Dystrophy. She has been in many cast. If we stayed home every time she had a cast on, we would have never gone anywhere. They are very accommodating for children with any medical problems. My only suggestion is to either rent a stroller or wheel chair that her leg can be supported. You do not want the leg to have to hang down. Unless she is a large child, I would think you could get by with a good stroller. On the plane, tell them you need a seat with more leg room, because of the cast. They will be more than glad to help.

Hmmm.. there are some roses in there somewhere???? you may just have to go to find them.

If your little one is good with situations like this then try and keep her positive, which she will get from you. There is a lot at Disney that doesnt involve a big ride. Might be time to teach her about the simple things in life.

Can you imagine the special treatment she is going to get from the Cast Members!!!!!

Good Luck and have a great time.

Hugs to you guys with this hard decision. I, like the others, would think about whether this is your only trip (in which case, reschedule) and what the doctor recommends.

On the other hand, think of what a neat memory she would have if you could have the characters sign her cast!!

She's going to have plenty of activities she'll need to sit out of over the next few weeks and the months of recovery ahead...I'm sure a Disney trip would do a lot to lift her spirits, so if it's something you CAN do (with advice from her doctor), I'd try and go.

Plus, we'll be there the first week of March...if you're going at the same time, we'll be sure to be careful about bumping into her. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter