Oh no... I've been asked to host... THANKSGIVING!!

Wow!! $700!?!?! Can I ask what you served? For $53 a person you could have had it catered. :confused3

Not where I live. You can't get anything catered. Several people had special diets. Several people purchased alcohol and left the bill for me. Ans I'm also including the increase in my electric bill for the week and a house repair I had to make due to the uncle incorrectly hooking up his camper to my house.

Does doing that change the taste or dry it out at all? That's a GREAT idea!!

Not that I noticed, it tastes (to me) just the same as cooking it the same day, you just don't get that "wow" factor from pulling out a browned bird and placing it on the table in front of your amazed and humbled guests! :rotfl:

and the gravy is the dripping from the well-seasoned turkey mixed and simmered with two cans of Campbells cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup (a trick a friend taught me...sounds weird, but turns out delish!)

I do this when I make beef roasts too! Very yummy!

I was looking on marthastewart.com (lol) and she had a good idea for inexpensive trivots- felt cut in the shape of leaves! So cute! You just cut red, brown, yellow, and orange leaves out of felt pieces and put them on your table or counter. 2 pieces of felt for REALLY hot things 1 piece for warm. You kinda overlap them and it becomes this cute decoration!!

I'm also going to make a table runner out of cute thanksgivingy-fallish fabric. You cut a long pice that will cover the length of the table, maybe a foot or two wide. Hem all around the sides, and put beads on the ends to weight it down. ACTUALLY those felt leaves would look good on top of that.... sorry... thinking out loud.

A recipe for you:

use fresh, uncooked cranberries, chop coarsley in a food processor, one bag, add 3/4 cup sugar, store in covered container in fridge 24-48 hours, will turn soft but not mushy

Then add :

2tbsp frozen concentrated orange juice

1/2 cup golden raisins

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

2-4 tbps brown sugar

2tsp lemon juice

pinch nutmeg

Adjust all ingredients according to taste, refrigerate another 12-24 hours, makes a great cranberry sauce, has a crunchy texture!

The fried sweet potatoes is a recipe from my MIL, her mom always made them this way. We peel and cube up the sweet potatoes (or yams) and cook them in boiling water just until fork tender, not too mushy. Then we drain them and cook them in the electric skillet, in margarine (because the butter burns them to quickly) and sprinkle with brown sugar. We keep turning them so they don't burn, but we do like them a little crunchy. I love them this way and prefer to have them this way every year. I used to make a sweet potato souffle but I love them "fried", they are so crunchy and yummy.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday !! It is also the easiest. There are no other distractions beside the meal itself. No Christmas decorating, no present shopping, no stockings, no Easter bunny, etc. Its just a great meal and friends and family. Plus , other then the turkey you can pretty much prepare all of the side dishes ahead of time and just heat them Thanksgiving day. Or you can do what I am doing this year is to be at WDW for Thanksgiving !!!

Very well put, I love to host Thanksgiving. Family, Turkey, Football and fun. Ask for help to keep the budget in line.

I have not read all of the posts, however I did see enough of them to know I will be trying the Brine Method this year. Have never had it that way, sounds good. I always do Thanksgiving and Christmas...And Easter:eek: Never really thought about it until now, just started when my girls now 10 & 17 were babies so that I could stay home and not have to pack our entire life up for the holidays. Usually there are between 10-20 people. I used to do sit down for all holidays but as the family grew and everyone has to visit someone it was eaiser to do buffet. I just let everyone know what time dinner will be ready and if they can be here then that's great if not it is here when they arrive. Takes alot of pressure off everyone. Anyway besides the turkey for Thanksgiving I usually make stuffing, mashed taters, sweet taters, corn pudding, carrots, green beans, broccoli casserole. Mom brings cranberry relish, homemade. Sis brings wine, brother desserts. Anyone else that is coming and offers I usually tell them to bring a dish they like, anything is fine. Sometimes it is a side, sometimes a dessert. This is always interesting as we get to try new things.:goodvibes

You will do just fine. As pp said do most of the side dishes the day before and just heat when ready. As for decorations, if you have children they will enjoy helping with those. They can find colorful leaves and make pictures. Let them cut some pretty fall flowers and place in a vase. Depending on the ages a tree cut out of construction paper and placed on a wall with leaves also cut out of construction paper & a pen. Have the family visiting write their names on the leaves and place them on the branches with tape. This could also be done as a true family tree, just have them placed in order from the top down. Another idea is to have everyone write one thing they are thankful for and place in a pretty basket, during dessert when everyone is relaxing you could read them out loud...no names need to be attached.

Enjoy your day with family and friends...after all that is what is most important.:)

Well I used to buy the Publix Turkey dinner and just did the sides (that did not come with it). But I bought a turkey (while on sale) and tried to cook it just for DH, DD and myself and it was great!! After that I have been cooking it altho this will be the first year we have more than 10 ppl. (but I must add that we have a BIG family and we are the ones with the pool so there are ALWAYS ppl at our home) So Paper and plastic are my friend...and I do not think it is tacky.
I always make in addition to Turkey/Ham
Gravy
Gibblet gravy
Sweet potato Casserole (bought from Publix tho) I just add marshmellows
Greenbean Casserole
deviled eggs
Mashed potatoes
canned cranberry sauce
mac-n-cheese(velveta shells)..bad I know but good
baked beans(bushes)
potato salad (mom makes this normally)
corn salad
and rolls and pies that I buy not make....or have someone else make...LOL
Now I am hungry!!

Oh and we also always have sandwich stuff for later;)

For Apps we have
cheese/crackers/summer sausage
Lil Smokies in BBQ
Chips and salsa
veggie platter
relish tray
and what ever anyone else brings!
We also make a kids table with just chips and things kids would want that way they are not putting their hands in the food. (A BIG pet-peeve of mine....I know I am weird)

Did anyone do any home repairs or redecorating before family came over on thanksgiving?

Did anyone do any home repairs or redecorating before family came over on thanksgiving?

No, I just cleaned more than usual...and as for paper plates, I think they will be fine to use. Maybe a heavier one for dinner (I like the chinet oval ones) and smaller decorative ones for appetizers and dessert. I do not mind plastic utensils but there are some in my family that will not use them...

I can't wait to hear your plans and menu! :thumbsup2

I've already started on my home repairs! Put up a curtain in a doorway that didn't have a door (my first floor laundry room... :scared1: ). Started on my felt leaf trivets and garland... going to do more this weekend. Hopefully after I get my halloween stuff out I'll find all of my thanksgiving decorations, too.... :rolleyes1

Reading all these posts have gotten me excited! I like cooking for everyone. There are only 8 people altogether, but I always cook way more than needed. I don't know why!

Anyway, I know this sounds absurd...but I have a Ronco rotisserie. I cook my turkey in it. I inject it with cajun marinade and it comes out the most picture perfect, juicy turkey ever (that I have made anyway, lol). Plus it frees up the oven for all the sides to cook and stay warm :)

My MIL is not feeling well these days :sad2: so I am going to volunteer to have Thanksgiving here this year. It will only be 7 of us so not a huge group. I appreciate the tips given; cooking the sweet potatoes the night before, making the gravy ahead...

If any one else has any advice I would love to hear it.

Aso, anyone have any traditions for after you eat (other than football :eek: ..lol)?

Well I'm still at it. DH and I are going to paint the family room before company comes next month. A nice sage green color- we think it'll look nice. Nicer than it looks now anyway. I've got my table runner made, and the felt trivets. Going to go work on cutting out more felt leaves for decorations.... oh the humanity. :laundy:

I LOVE:lovestruc , LOVE:lovestruc , LOVE:lovestruc having Thanksgiving at our house! I have both sides of the family here and it ends up being about 20 people, more or less. I like to visit with my guests and want to have as little to do on the big day as possible. Here's what works best for me:

I have tried a sit down dinner before, but by the time everything is on the table, the first thing set out is cold! I use a buffet and put everything in the steamer trays, crock pots or a warming tray.

I have an extra oven, but use portable ovens often. Here's a what I mean:
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-32190-18-Quart-Roaster/dp/B0000TVHTO
These ovens are well worth the money!! My mother cooks her turkey right in the oven and brings the oven with the turkey in it over! The pan lifts out for easy cleaning.
I use a warming tray also for some dishes.

Day before Thanksgiving, I cook 4 turkey legs and thighs in the oven. Use the drippings to make gravy. I always hated the waiting around for the gravy to be done! I can always add more pan drippings when the real turkey comes out of the oven. My husband can only eat organic turkey (terrible migraines otherwise), so I save some money by buying these pieces organic and using them for him to eat.

I found a recipe for make ahead mashed potatos that are out of this world! I make them in a steamer tray to be popped in the oven and warmed on Thanksgiving (takes about an hour).
makes 6 servings

6 med baking potatos (2 lbs)
1/3 c green onions, sliced
1 or 2 minced garlic cloves
2 T butter
8 oz sour cream
4-5 T milk
snipped parsley

grease casserole (or steamer tray as i use)
cut potatos and cook in salted water 20-25 min. until soft and drain. Put back in pot.
In small skillet, cook onion and garlic in butter until tender.
Mash.
Add everything, except parsley, and beat in enough milk to make fluffy.
Sprinkle with parsley, cover and refrigerate.
Bake, covered at 350 for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 45 min.

I try to make some desserts ahead of time. Brownies freeze wonderfully! Trifle is always better the next day. Pumpkin pie is easy also.

Cranberry Sauce can be prepared ahead of time.
If serving pickles and olives, these can be placed in serving dish ahead, covered and popped in the fridge.

Prepare vegetables the day before. Wash and cut. If using frozen, do NOT defrost!! It will make the veggies soggy!!:scared1:
Cook or microwave frozen.

I even saved enough time one year, I made fresh, homemade biscuits...Paula Dean's Cream Buscuits...rich....soft and heavenly! I served them straight from the oven!

Make lists and have everything ready the day before. Then, you can relax and enjoy the day!

This year, my goal is to have some of our Christmas decorations up, have so much done ahead of time that we can go to the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, and come home for a 4pm Thanksgiving Dinner!!!!
I'm already saying prayers for help!!

Good Luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter