Oh no, have to go in summer....tell me when.

Michele

DIS Veteran
I have always tried to avoid going in the summer. :sunny: But it looks like as children get older we will have to (darn those sports) :confused3 . So please tell me your experiences with Memorial weekend and week after OR week after 4th of July. :cool2:

:listen:

Thanks in advance
Michele

If those are your only choices, crowds will be MUCH heavier in July.

The least crowded times in the summer are early June and late August.

We go every year at the end of August. The crowds are lighter due to a lot of kids starting back to school. We have lucked out on the free dining. In fact this past trip we were originally booked to stay at All Star Sports. When the free dining was announced we decided to upgrade and stayed at AKL.

As for the weather, it just really depends. Yes there are days when it's hot and humid but after a while the body adjusts. Most of the attractions are indoors where there is air conditioning. This past August the weather was really mild. Tropical Storm Ernesto was leaving. It was in the mid to high 80's and the humidity was not bad. Our family back home in MI had hotter temps during the week were in WDW than we did. Hurricanes-we have been lucky and never been down there when there has been the case of one. 2 years ago we went down when 1 had ended and left as another one was starting.

Be at the park you are visiting that day when the gates open. Leave at lunch and come back around six pm and close it out. It's amazing how much more you will enjoy the experience using this "afternoon siesta" approach, and you will still have plenty of energy the next day.

We went once at the end of June, same reason as you; never again. It was hot, humid, and rainy. Seemed like it was cloudy and there were thunderstorms every day. I think the further away you get from July 4th in either direction, the better you will be.

matt&jakesmom said:
We go every year at the end of August. The crowds are lighter due to a lot of kids starting back to school. We have lucked out on the free dining. In fact this past trip we were originally booked to stay at All Star Sports. When the free dining was announced we decided to upgrade and stayed at AKL.

As for the weather, it just really depends. Yes there are days when it's hot and humid but after a while the body adjusts. Most of the attractions are indoors where there is air conditioning. This past August the weather was really mild. Tropical Storm Ernesto was leaving. It was in the mid to high 80's and the humidity was not bad. Our family back home in MI had hotter temps during the week were in WDW than we did. Hurricanes-we have been lucky and never been down there when there has been the case of one. 2 years ago we went down when 1 had ended and left as another one was starting.

I wish we could do this, we've been over Labor Day weekend and I know crowds are down by then. But we will have started with football practice and golf season in high school. It will have to be May, right as soon as school gets out or July after baseball.

Good Gracious, listen to all of that doom and gloom!

Mid-July is an AWESOME time to go! Is it hot? Yes. Is it crowded? Yes. Is it all manageable with a good plan? YES!

We're in the same position as you with baseball, cheerleading and football, so July is our only choice, too for vacation. But, that's fine with us. In fact, it wouldn't be a good summer if we didn't have vacation the week after July 4th!

We've been to WDW in January, April (4 times), July, and next week will be our first December trip. With the exception of January, they've all been very crowded times to go... and they've all been the "best" trip we've ever had!!

We spent 7 nights at Caribbean Beach in July of 2005. We enjoyed the resort, but would probably choose Coronado Springs for another summer-trip.

Having a plan, and making sure that you schedule "down" time is crucial to having a great experience in the summer. We planned for months, and really had a great time.

Every morning, we took advantage of the EMH park (usually 7 or 8am). We ate breakfast in our room, so we didn't have to get up too early to leave for the parks. We would spend the morning at a very UN-crowded park, and then around lunch time, we would head back to the resort.

The parks would get very crowded in the afternoons, and it would get very hot, but that didn't bother us because we were back in our room eating lunch in the airconditioning, and then relaxing at the pool! Sometimes we would take naps, and sometimes we would just play all day in the pool.

By evening, we would be refreshed, and back to a different park. We did counter-service for dinner each evening, except when we ordered pizza late at night. Every evening was crowded, but we did some things that we had never done before.

A couple of tips for summer trips:
- Go early to the parks, take a break in the afternoon, go back in the evening.
- Take at least one day off to relax.
- Make a good plan of your "must-dos" and then try new experiences for the rest of the time
- Carry a waterbottle with you at all times, and re-fill it with cold water for free at the waterfountains in the parks. Make sure you and your family stay hydrated.
- Take any opportunity in the parks to either be inside in the airconditioning, or to be on a "wet" ride.
- Stop worrying about the summer. It is MUCH more crowded during Spring Break.

People who suggest going in "Early December," or "January," or "October" obviously do not have school-aged kids. Ours are in 7th and 1st grade. So, Spring Break and Summer are our only options. And you know what? That's just fine! Enjoy your summer trip. Plan, plan, plan, but don't worry.

We got soooo lucky with our trip in June this year. We only got rained once and that was the night we got there. The crowds were very manageable, but we used Tour Guide Mike so that may have been part of it. Towards the end of the week it began to get crowded and I think tit might have been Star Wars Weekend.

WV gives good advice. you can still enjoy WDW even in crowds if you have a plan and realize you won't be able to do everything. just go with a fav list and concentrate on that. make sure the list is realistic. just relax and enjoy what you do rather then worry about what you think you have to do.

WVParkfan said:
Good Gracious, listen to all of that doom and gloom!

Mid-July is an AWESOME time to go! Is it hot? Yes. Is it crowded? Yes. Is it all manageable with a good plan? YES!

We're in the same position as you with baseball, cheerleading and football, so July is our only choice, too for vacation. But, that's fine with us. In fact, it wouldn't be a good summer if we didn't have vacation the week after July 4th!

We've been to WDW in January, April (4 times), July, and next week will be our first December trip. With the exception of January, they've all been very crowded times to go... and they've all been the "best" trip we've ever had!!

We spent 7 nights at Caribbean Beach in July of 2005. We enjoyed the resort, but would probably choose Coronado Springs for another summer-trip.

Having a plan, and making sure that you schedule "down" time is crucial to having a great experience in the summer. We planned for months, and really had a great time.

Every morning, we took advantage of the EMH park (usually 7 or 8am). We ate breakfast in our room, so we didn't have to get up too early to leave for the parks. We would spend the morning at a very UN-crowded park, and then around lunch time, we would head back to the resort.

The parks would get very crowded in the afternoons, and it would get very hot, but that didn't bother us because we were back in our room eating lunch in the airconditioning, and then relaxing at the pool! Sometimes we would take naps, and sometimes we would just play all day in the pool.

By evening, we would be refreshed, and back to a different park. We did counter-service for dinner each evening, except when we ordered pizza late at night. Every evening was crowded, but we did some things that we had never done before.

A couple of tips for summer trips:
- Go early to the parks, take a break in the afternoon, go back in the evening.
- Take at least one day off to relax.
- Make a good plan of your "must-dos" and then try new experiences for the rest of the time
- Carry a waterbottle with you at all times, and re-fill it with cold water for free at the waterfountains in the parks. Make sure you and your family stay hydrated.
- Take any opportunity in the parks to either be inside in the airconditioning, or to be on a "wet" ride.
- Stop worrying about the summer. It is MUCH more crowded during Spring Break.

People who suggest going in "Early December," or "January," or "October" obviously do not have school-aged kids. Ours are in 7th and 1st grade. So, Spring Break and Summer are our only options. And you know what? That's just fine! Enjoy your summer trip. Plan, plan, plan, but don't worry.

Thanks for all the good tips! And by the way, if by next week you mean the week 'before ' Christmas, we did it last year 18-23 and it was not bad crowdwise at all. You will LOVE WDW for Christmas. Up until yesterday I was still trying to get there next week, but it fell through. Enjoy!!

We did it this past summer over the 4th of July week and loved it. I was expecting the worst. We just woke up early went to a park and left by noon. The rest of the afternoon was spent swimming and relaxing. Some of our group went back to the park at night while other stayed at the resort. I think you can get so much done in the morning. I am not a morning person at all, but it is so worth it at Disney. We hit all of the main attractions at each park by noon.
On the other hand...if you went that same week and slept in you would have a different experience. At each park by about 11:00 all of the main rides had over an hour or even a 2 hour wait. Soarin was out of fastpasses by noon. So, it really does make a difference what time you are at the park. I don't think I can emphasize this point enough!! Good luck with your planning!! :)

never fear...we had to switch over from the "undercrowded" January to the "over crowded" July several years ago....same reason as you. And guess what--we LOVE going in the summer. :thumbsup2 Usually stay 11 days and head home about July 3. We do the day backwards because the parks are open so late and DS-19/DD-17 like to sleep in. A usual summer day is sleep in, eat at the resort for breakfast, lounge around the pool. Go to the parks by noon and have an AR waiting to eat around 1-2pm. Fastpasses and shows, shopping in the AC. Another AR for evening meal. Hit the rides hard 10-midnight and cruise on back to the resort. Bed by 1am and it starts again. Rain? so what--we take along alot of the $1 ponchos and toss away when they get worn. Summer time is true Disney magic--thinking back, the parks were a bit deserted in January and closed SO early :confused3 good when the kids were little, but it wouldn't work for us now! :love: Here we come June 14, 2007!! :cool1:

dzneelvr said:
never fear...we had to switch over from the "undercrowded" January to the "over crowded" July several years ago....same reason as you. And guess what--we LOVE going in the summer. :thumbsup2 Usually stay 11 days and head home about July 3. We do the day backwards because the parks are open so late and DS-19/DD-17 like to sleep in. A usual summer day is sleep in, eat at the resort for breakfast, lounge around the pool. Go to the parks by noon and have an AR waiting to eat around 1-2pm. Fastpasses and shows, shopping in the AC. Another AR for evening meal. Hit the rides hard 10-midnight and cruise on back to the resort. Bed by 1am and it starts again. Rain? so what--we take along alot of the $1 ponchos and toss away when they get worn. Summer time is true Disney magic--thinking back, the parks were a bit deserted in January and closed SO early :confused3 good when the kids were little, but it wouldn't work for us now! :love: Here we come June 14, 2007!! :cool1:

See you there then. June 15th for us.

Okay all we do is summer cause of me being in school, sis is a nurse and mom is head of a payroll department so we do summer. It's hot yes but if you know how to handle it then you'll be fine. Early mornings leave the park for a break then go back. Keep hydrated.

We're leaving right after kindergarten graduation in May for the same reason. Our dates are May 25-June 3, and I'm hoping for the best.

i went the first week of june one year. i remember it being hot, but not overly crowded...

We went late last June through July 5. I was shocked. I was expecting it to be horrible and it......WASN'T! We used common sense, took breaks and just had a ball. I've heard right after July 4 it empties out, but I'd encourage you to be there once in your life on July 4. It was fantastic.

I think if you can go the first week of June, that is ideal. If not and you can go the last week of August, that is a good week as well.

We also always go in the summer and we always have a wonderful time. This summer we went and we were there and left on July 5th. It didn't seem any more crowded to me than being there the 10th-21st, but we get to the parks early and enjoy "stuff" before the crowds are bad. July 3rd at the MK was packed, but it was well worth it to see the AMAZING Fireworks! They were fantastic. During the day when DD and I were there it didn't seem any different to us as far as crowds go though. We had a great trip. We spent July 4th at TL..had a blast.

Enjoy your summer times. Sports...I get it. Mine are both in sports. Now that they will both be in high school next year, we won't be able to go at all for some time.

The week after July fourth is one of the least crowded weeks of the summer. So many go during the week of the fourth, that there is a drop off immediately after. By the way, we did WDW last fourth of July and we had a blast. We hit the parks first thing in the morning, hung out at the pool in the afternoon and enjoyed the evenings when the sun went down.

Memorial weekend is great too. Crowds are not bad at all. The Flower and Garden show is winding down, there is the Star Wars weekends. On side note there is the unofficial "Gay Days" at Disney, right after Memorial day weekend.

We had a trip booked to another vacation destination a few years back. The resort "forgot" to mention that a bikers rally was happening that same week. It was one of the worse trips ever! If you are into bikes, it would have been great, but we are not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter