Oh No Am I Too late...

TGS

Earning My Ears
My family stayed at the campground in 2004 and had a blast. The campground was empty! So we decided we wanted to go again at the same time. I called and they say only one of my nights is available (out of 6). They say I can put a hold on it and keep checking back to see if more nights become available.
Has anyone done this with success? We want to go from Jan 1-7 (full hook-up). Or should I just try to find another campground?
Oh please tell me there is another way to do this, we loved staying at the campground and it was so empty I never thought to book earlier.

-Thanks,
Tara

The first week of January is always a very busy time. Most kids (especially those from Florida) are still out of school for Christmas break. If you go the second week of January, you'd have no problem at all.

Keep checking back is all I can recommend.

Yes, go ahead and reserve it. Then call back frequently. It is best to call at 7:00ish in the morning to check for cancelations. Most cancelations happen as time gets closer. I do this ALL THE TIME!!

Good luck!

Don't wait until the morning to check! Keep a check as often as you can on the DW site.:surfweb:

I cancelled some spots for November earlier today. I checked before I got on the phone - no sites. I checked as soon as I hung up - sites. They showed as available as soon as I cancelled them!

I agree. Keep calling. It can be done. Lots of cancellations between now and then. Lots of people make resort only reservations and then cancel when they get can get a discount elsewhere.

What really surprised me while lurking on this board was how many people would book the campsite and then switch to a value resort to get a sweet discount. I did the math myself and the value resort packages always came out cheaper than FW (once I factor in gas for towing the behemoth-or heaven forfend- renting a MH and driving it from Houston to FW).

Of course, my bias is towards FW but a buck is a buck is a buck.

Regards,

I have also found out that sometimes, sites are available on the website that are not available over the phone. I go to the campground at least 40-50 nights a year and the only way to get the "hard to get dates" is calling and calling and calling.
PS- I tried to scoop up those Thanksgiving dates, but they were gone!

I remember the site being easier to work with. How do you check availability on line? The only way I could figure anything out was through a reservation request and of course it keeps saying nothing is available for my party size and length of stay. When I called they informed me of the reserve one night at a time method. Am I missing something on the website?
-Thanks,
Tara

I've been trying to book 1/05 (preferred, pet, one night) since June and have had no luck. I was able to book 1/6-1/13 with no problem.

Jennifer

I booked Jan 5th - 12th back in May. Called back and I was able to add Jan 2nd - 4th on in July. In the last month I have been able to add Dec 29th - Jan 1st. :cool1: I agree about not checking at 7am every morning, not sure where that started :confused3 but all my days I as able to add I did so by checking the website later in the day and they were there, but they were not there when I would check in the morning. Don't forget weekends either, I found Sunday to be a lucky day, got 2 of my days on seperate Sundays.

If you keep checking I am sure you will have some luck. I do have an extra preferred site booked for Jan 1st that I plan to cancel shortly, if someone would like to try and plan someway to coordinate a cancelation time I am open to it, just let me know. Don't ask how I got 2 reservations for the same day though. :rotfl2:

Well, I have reserved Jan 2 so far for a full-hook up. We have a small motorhome and coming from NJ (have a few family stops on the way). Hopefully we can get the rest! I am going to keep checking!!
I always liked this forum- best forum I have ever been a part of!

Thanks-
Tara

Of course it's available now! I just booked the 5th at Lake Louisa State Park, aargh! Off to phone hubby to see what he wants to do. Are things often available on the website when CRO tells you no? And is there any way to book a pet loop on the web?

We have to have a pet loop because, well, we have a pet. We have to have cable because it's the playoffs and hubby is NO FUN AT ALL if he can't watch the playoffs. As it is he'll probably walk around WDW with that dorky radio thing in his ear.

Jennifer

HA! A playoff freak!!! Just send him to the ESPN Club at the Boardwalk with plenty of beer money! He won't miss a single play--- they even have TV's in the bathrooms!!:drinking1

Of course it's available now! I just booked the 5th at Lake Louisa State Park, aargh! Off to phone hubby to see what he wants to do. Are things often available on the website when CRO tells you no? And is there any way to book a pet loop on the web?

We have to have a pet loop because, well, we have a pet. We have to have cable because it's the playoffs and hubby is NO FUN AT ALL if he can't watch the playoffs. As it is he'll probably walk around WDW with that dorky radio thing in his ear.

Jennifer

I did have one occasion where the a day showed up online but the CM could not pull it up, so I booked it online.

When I have booked online there was a small section for requests or something like that, I just put pet loop in there. Then I called with my reservation number and had them put in a loop request and pet loop again.

If I were you I would book the Fort, you can always cancel it with no fees if you do it far enough out.

My wife tried to book our traditional CHristmas/New Years period for this year for months last year. Although she had booked in previous years during that time, she was continually told the period we wanted was not open yet. Eventually she was told it would open the next day and to call early, and they opened at 7 a.m. She was on the phone with them at 7 a.m. and was told the entire campground was sold out except for one campsite that our rig would not fit in. Something strange and probably underhanded is going on in their reservations area. We were finally able to get the dates we needed by going through a booking agent and getting a few days which were added to every week or so until we had what we needed. I am very dissapointed in whatever has happened to the reservations system down there. Every year we see many open sites while we are there. We need to make our plans well in advance because of our special needs kids and grandkids we take. There has to be a better way to secure reservations. Ok, now I'll calm down.

And this was written by Ken, not Judy. She is innocent in this rant.

I did have one occasion where the a day showed up online but the CM could not pull it up, so I booked it online.

When I have booked online there was a small section for requests or something like that, I just put pet loop in there. Then I called with my reservation number and had them put in a loop request and pet loop again.

If I were you I would book the Fort, you can always cancel it with no fees if you do it far enough out.

Okay, it's official, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. :upsidedow I saw the box and even wrote to request loop 300 and never even thought about requesting a pet loop. Thanks for pointing it out!

Hubby has decided that we'll just stay at Lake Louisa for the night. It's $35 cheaper and we'll only be there a few hours anyway. He's hoping we'll have a better choice of sites early on Sunday vs late on Saturday. We're planning on being difficult. ;)

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter