• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oh-Getting Shaky!

nwhitehead1214

Look at all the lazy people in the lazy river
OK-- this is usually where I start choking. :scared: Done all the research. Asked all the advice. Got my eye on a great OKW. Getting ready to make offer and then :scared: (can you tell I have a bit of a commitment problem). OK I will bother you guys one last time. Really truly, truly if you had a chance to do it all over again would you still buy into the DVC if you knew you could have a do over (again we do to the Poly every year and will continue to do so if we do not buy into DVC). Love to hear your comments. Then I promise :flower3: I will leave you great people alone and finally make my decision. :grouphug:

yes, i'm a single mom and it's the best decision i've ever made for myself and my kids. It makes vacationing affordable....

I hope you make the choice that's right for you, but I am SOOOO happy I took the plunge ..I"m still enjoying vacations since 2000, with many years to come!

Lisa

OK-- this is usually where I start choking. :scared: Done all the research. Asked all the advice. Got my eye on a great OKW. Getting ready to make offer and then :scared: (can you tell I have a bit of a commitment problem). OK I will bother you guys one last time. Really truly, truly if you had a chance to do it all over again would you still buy into the DVC if you knew you could have a do over (again we do to the Poly every year and will continue to do so if we do not buy into DVC). Love to hear your comments. Then I promise :flower3: I will leave you great people alone and finally make my decision. :grouphug:

Would I do it all over again...hmmmm....well since I am just getting ready to close any day....I would have to say yes:banana: I realize I don't count as a "would you do it again" but just wanted to let you know that their are others out there just like you..:eek: GOOD LUCK

::yes::

No worries :goodvibes this is the place when you're pondering DVC ::yes::

It's a significant investment so it's understandable to be concerned that it's the right choice. For myself, DH & our kids yes, we'd do it again, we get so much enjoyment out of our DVC & the travel possibilities it gives us, it's been well worth it. If you're comfortable with purchasing then imho go for it :thumbsup2 ; if it turns out it isn't what you thought you can always sell. btw, we own at OKW & :love: it so hope to welcome you as a neighbor real soon !!!

Best wishes
:)
~Laura

Yes. The biggest regret I usually hear is "I wish we had done it sooner.". That's how we feel too. 10 years sooner.

I probably would not or would simply by a very small contract to get the member perks. But it's not because I'm unhappy with DVC per se but simply there are better cheaper ways to get what I want including staying at DVC. I do think it can a good choice for those that would stay on property on cash, go light or neutral on weekends, will use the points only at DVC and can afford to pay cash.

I have contemplated DVC for years because we love to go to WDW and have gone almost every year since 1994.

But we also loved the Contemporary and knew we only wanted to stay there so, even though DVC would have saved us money (lots!) if we had purchased 10 years ago, we knew we wouldn't be as happy staying at other resorts.

When BLT was announced in the fall, we knew it was time to take the plunge. We just bought in last month and could not be HAPPIER and more excited about our decision!!!!

However, if I were in a situation where I could afford to stay at the Poly every year, and felt it likely this happy situation would continue, I would consider whether I would truly be happy lining up for a bus at OKW, rather than boarding the monorail at the Poly....

Poly family here too:thumbsup2 . We've stayed at the Poly on the majority of our trips and absolutely love it, however, as you know staying at the Poly is pricey and we decided that we could have paid for our DVC several times over with the trips we've taken and we go at least once a year often twice so we took the plunge. We'll still stay at the Poly occasionally but will primarily stay DVC. My oldest DD was completely bummed when she found out that we would no longer be staying at the Poly on every trip, that was until she spent a week in a 2 bdrm villa and got to take her granny with her:rotfl: . Everyone in our family is thrilled and now we can ocassionally take other family members with us. My mom aka "granny" could never have afforded a room at the Poly for a week and now she can go with us anytime. As far as the monorail goes we always rent a car so not a big deal for us, we do miss when we're walking through the parking lot and the air is 90 degrees and the asfault seems like 190.

So YES we would do it again and actually are, we are looking at an add on now that prices are so low on the resale market.

Tina

I would do it again in a heartbeat AND sooner!!

I used to stay at the Contemporary and it was like 250ish per night for a tower room with a MK view. That was 2004 when I first bought in. Now the rooms are like 425 plus plus for that same view.

And my accomodations are awesome. I have been able to take friends and family and stay in fabulous resorts and units--- and for less than a few nights at the Contemporary. And NOW- I can go back to the Contemporary at BLT!!! Hurrah!! The 2 bedrooms are simply awesome!!

I LOVE my DVC!!!

Jacky

However, if I were in a situation where I could afford to stay at the Poly every year, and felt it likely this happy situation would continue, I would consider whether I would truly be happy lining up for a bus at OKW, rather than boarding the monorail at the Poly....

Yes, this is where my DH is. He complains at me that he doesn't believe we are comparing apples to apples. He has done the "full spreadsheet" and worked in that in order to have a comparable vacation you will likely need BLT for one week with one bedroom. Pay for housekeeping. Still get the dining plan. He laughs when I point out the kitchen :laughing: because he knows that there is no way I am cooking when Chef Mickey's/Concourse is next door. So he adds in the dining plan. Initial costs now (the pay in :eek: to buy direct) and the mf's yearly. Then :scared1: The "hidden costs" really add up. On top of that its hard to say this is a great deal when at the same time I am considering, Disney is sending these four for three deals, etc. etc. :confused: They can't even fill their hotel rooms, next will be free if the economy continues down. So buying direct is expensive, then you look at the OKW deals and they are fantastic but, again, is it apples to apples. :confused3 This is one big decision for a commitment phobe. Thanks for input. Looking forward to more. Really want to know who wishes they did not also. Are there any?

We are newbies to DVC and as I write this I am at Saratoga Springs... We were just discussing how happy we are to have bought into DVC. It is a great experience and there is so much that we are learning about being members. I wouldn't go back to not being a DVC member. We love it!

:thumbsup2 Yes, I would do it all over again!
It was the best thing I've ever done with my money. We purchased in 1996 into OKW, then added on with BW. I still check the prices to see if another add on is affordable. OKW is my favorite by far! If you can afford it, DO IT!
~Kim

I felt the SAME way..and I am even freaking out about my long planned for and anticipate VGC add on..BUT! I know once I'm committed I'll be fine, just like I was with my original OKW.and I have no regrets at all on buying! It's just the overthinking thing that gets you into trouble.

I think the Poly and others are great, but ultimately, once you close the door, you are in a hotel room.

I like having the space of a villa (and the laundry room).

For the price of a few stays at a deluxe you could have paid for years of stays with DVC.

We like and use the DDP, but since we have the full kitchen we know we don't have to.

I also like the discount on the AP and the free valet parking. Those are my two favorite perks so far.

And there is something very nice about hearing "Welcome Home" because that what it feels like.

Yes, if we didn't own DVC we wouldn't be going on vacation this year. My dh has a very stressful job and he needs to escape for a bit. IMHO There is no better place to do that than WDW.

Yes, if we didn't own DVC we wouldn't be going on vacation this year. My dh has a very stressful job and he needs to escape for a bit. IMHO There is no better place to do that than WDW.

I feel the same way about the escape (and am assuming there are many others). For at least 1 week out of the year I have no worries (other than when they'll run out of FPs at Soarin'), and am completely shut out from the "outside" world which is great.

Chris

We've never once regretted our DVC purchase in 2000. Infact, we've added on 3 times since then. Best decision we could have made. We love to go on vacation (who doesn't?), and this way we are guaranteed multiple vacations every year. Our friends/family have witnessed this, and as a result we've had numerous friends and family members join DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter