Oh Florida! An East Meets West Girl's TR: 8/9 p56 & 8/17 p57

So you are actually doing reflexology for your allergies? OK - that's pretty cool. I would love to see if it works. You'll have to keep my posted!

i looked back at what I actually typed.... I must have been asleep or my fingers were rushing. Never really had one but I HEARD, guess should have been in there, that it can be used for allergies. I have myself tried some pressure points but nada for the allergies.:sad2:

i looked back at what I actually typed.... I must have been asleep or my fingers were rushing. Never really had one but I HEARD, guess should have been in there, that it can be used for allergies. I have myself tried some pressure points but nada for the allergies.:sad2:

Oh Boo! Well, I was hoping for you. Hey - you never know, right?

Bowling Alley Sushi

Hi guys. I am going to move ahead with an update this weekend. I’m pretty proud of myself for staying on a weekly update schedule.

Cynthia is wrapping up her trip at Aulani. She has posted some really fun and amazing pictures on FB. Hopefully she will post a few here when she does her next update.

So in upcoming trip news Denny and I are going back to Williamsburg for a few nights in June. Since we purchased a discounted annual pass we figured we might as well use it one more time before it expires.

In addition to visiting colonial Williamsburg, we are also going to spend a day in Norfolk visiting the waterfront, Nautilus, and doing a naval yard boat tour. I am also planning a morning in Historic Jamestown, which is a national park site. I have been to Jamestown settlement, but not to Historic Jamestown (they are two different attractions). There are several wineries in the area that I have not visited yet. And, of course, we will spend an entire day in Colonial Williamsburg.

I am looking forward to this long weekend getaway.

I don’t have anything much to report in August trip news. I was able to book a mid sized car for $150 a week with a pick up in Orlando and a drop off in Tampa. We are flying home through Tampa because the rates were so much better. The only thing I am worried about is that there are 5 of us. I am going to make the kids pack duffle bags instead of regular suitcases so they are easily to pack or hold on their laps. Do you think we will all fit????

Let’s just say that the price I booked for the next size up car (a standard car) is $350. I feel like we can smoosh to save $200. lol

In my last update we were here, enjoying a glass of wine at the Turf Club.

But we needed to make a decision. What should we do for dinner?

Now let me just say that I had a bathing suit top on, my swimming shorts that I use as a bottom, and a t-shirt. Those shorts - well they are TIGHT and not really the most appropriate dinner wear. But neither of us felt like going back to OKW to change, so we decided to head to DTD where our very “casual” attire would blend in better. Cynthia was smarter than me. She actually brought a “real” pair of shorts. Smart thinking, girl.

We walked down to the boat dock to wait. It was starting to get dark out. All the better to “blend” is all I could think. I was feeling a little self conscious in my pool attire.

Where’s that darn boat???

There she is!

After a quick trip over to the temporary boat stop, we headed in the direction of the Marketplace in search of dinner options.

And then we came up this

Yup. Splitsville, the Bowling Alley. I think we both knew that we could make reservations inside, but I don’t think either of us knew that outside seating was possible.

We saw an empty high top table and asked a server what we needed to do to sit there. She said, “first come, first serve”.

Yes, Please.

Our derrières were in those seats faster than we could say “table for two”.

NICE!

I took a picture of the tables around us.

We figured out that they served sushi here. I feel like we had that nailed down before the menus even arrived. Our server assured us that the sushi was top notch.

Alrighty then. She didn’t need to tell us twice.

What’s so cool about traveling with Cynthia is that we have similar food preferences, so I wasn’t surprised that we were both on board for some sushi. They had a great menu and we picked three different things to share.

We started out with a few adult beverages. I switched to a Blue Moon and Cynthia stuck with wine.

Here is Splitsville’s sushi menu

Beauty and the Beast - Avocado, cream cheese, Kani Kama krab are topped with beautiful tuna and beastly eel $15.00

California Roll - Sushi rice, Kani Kama crab, cucumber and avocado $11.00

Crab Rangoon - Kani Kama krab, cream cheese, water chestnuts, chives are rolled and tempura fried, served with Thai chili sauce, spicy mayo and sriracha hot chili sauce $14.00

Dragon Roll - Shrimp tempura, asparagus, avocado and eel sauce $13.00

Fantasy Roll - A sushi dream come true! Fresh salmon, ahi tuna, cucumber, avocado and steamed shrimp are rolled in soy paper and drizzled with kimichee ponzu sauce $18.00

Fire Roll - Tempura shrimp, heart of romaine, avocado, Kani Kama krab with tuna tataki, eel sauce and spicy mayo $15.00

Ninja Crunch - Fried salmon, Kani Kama krab, tempura crunch, and salmon drizzled with spicy mayo and eel sauce $14.00

Spicy Tuna - Fresh tuna, spicy mayo, cucumber and scallions drizzled with sriracha hot chili sauce $12.00

Super Tuna - Ahi tuna, tempura shrimp, cream cheese topped with seared ahi, avocado, eel sauce, tempura flakes and spicy mayo $15.00

The Alberto - No rice, just lean protein and veggies. Spicy tuna and avocado rolled in thinly sliced cucumber and served with lemon ponzu sauce $13.00

Volcano Roll - Tempura shrimp, avocado, cream cheese, and spicy volcano krab mix $15.00

I know we got the California Roll and I think we got one of the tunas, but after that I have no idea.

I am sure Cynthia will remember.

Here are the pictures.

Sushi #1

Sushi #2

Sushi #3 (I think this is the California Roll)

Please forgive me for not knowing which is which. I am so not a foody. All I know is that I love sushi, Denny hates it, and I rely on others to pick my poison because, honestly, there isn’t one sushi dish on that menu that I wouldn’t try.

All I can tell you guys is if you like sushi, this place is awesome. Everything was really delicious. It was the most perfect, impromptu choice for dinner. We couldn’t have planned it any better, even if I was in my bathing suit bottoms.

After dinner we decided that we definitely weren’t ready to leave DTD, so we continued to head in the direction of the Market Place.

I have never been to Paradiso. I think I may need to try it with my drinking age son this summer.

We found ourselves here.

Why? Well, it’s a bar. And it was starting to rain, so we had to seek shelter somewhere. And it IS a bar. DOH!

That was my beer.

So let’s count up my alcoholic beverages, shall we?

Two glasses of wine at the Turf Club. (Not counting the one we had at the spa) Two beers at Splittsvile. And another draft at the Hole in the Wall. Can you say “Feeling NO pain?”.

Our bartender was great! Did I have 2 beers here? Cynthia? I think I only had one. I’m not that much of a lush…or am I?????

All I know is that whatever I ordered, it had a high alcohol content and I suddenly felt very…..well this is a family board, so shall I say “impaired”.

It had gotten surprisingly late and we were hoping to catch one of the last buses back to OKW, but when we checked our watches….or cell phones …oops - too late.

So we determined that we would need to catch a cab.

Yeah - we basically closed down DTD.

After we paid our tab, and used the rest room, we noticed that Raglan Road had some great night time entertainment going on.

We were sort of disappointed that we hadn’t grabbed a table there instead of at the Hole in the Wall.

But that was OK. We had fun and we realized that it was probably time to call it a night.

So we went to find a cab.

No pictures from the cab ride home. All I can tell you is that when we told the driver we were going to OKW he said, “Awwwww Come ON. You’re killing me”, as if to infer that he was angry with us because we weren’t going further then OKW.

That did NOT sit well with Cynthia. Or me, for that matter. Hey, a fare is a fare. And we needed a ride. So suck it up buddy.

Before we knew it we were back at our villa. And then we decided that it might be fun to take a 1am dip in the pool.

No pictures from that. Sorry.

After a nice swim, we hit the hay. Hey, tomorrow’s another day.

Continued In the Next Post....

Speaking of another day, I decided to just forge ahead into our next morning. We are up to Wednesday May 14th. This is our second full day together and our third in the world.

Our plans were really loose for this morning. Good thing, because I had far too much to drink the night before. Despite that, and the fact that we were swimming at 1am, I woke up feeling pretty decent.

Cynthia may have decided to go for a run this day. I can’t remember. I decided to run over to SSR and use the health club. I had joined the gym at work a couple months before our trip and I had really gotten into using the elliptical at a fast pace. I decided it might be a good workout to run over to the SSR club, do an elliptical work out, and run back.

Spoiler alert - I have since give up the elliptical completely. I only bike and run. The elliptical seemed to really trash my thighs and leave a lot of lactic acid floating around. I had a terrible time running on this trip because my legs always felt fatigued. So sorry elliptical, I do not miss you.

I did take this picture when I arrived at SSR

I really don’t have any other pictures from this morning, besides these:

This was the private pool near our villa and I think we decided to use it that morning.

After showering and getting ready to head out we headed down to the Hospitality House.

We probably needed to check out and then check back in. This is because we split the reservation, so my points were used for the first half and Cynthia’s were used for the second.

We hopped a bus for Epcot and I did a time stamp

It rained on our way to Epcot, but we had a brief reprieve as we entered the park.

Between the clouds and the fog, it made for some crazy looking pictures.

We actually had a lunch reservation and a DIS meet, so we put our ponchos on and just kept walking.

We were lucky to make it to the International Gateway before it started to pour again. We actually saw Alicia, Alex, and Landon on our way out the park. I think they were just arriving.

We stopped to say “hi” and then the rain came AGAIN.

We pulled the tops up on our ponchos and high tailed it to here

Another restaurant first, but who was our DIS meet? Find out in the next update!

Last edited:
Wow, that was a really full day - a spa day plus closing down DTD and swimming. I bet you had a great time. ;) We've been to the hole in the wall place at Cookies, too. I agree that Raglan Road looked like more fun.

We just got back from Disney on Tuesday. We did some resort hopping and had hoped to get back to OKW. We first went to POR to explore and then walked to POFQ. From there we took the boat to DTD and had hoped to take the boat back to OKW. But by the time we toured those two resorts and had lunch at WPE, it was too late to go to OKW, too. At least now I have figured out the DTD boats, how they travel and where they dock. :)

I'm behind on my own TR again! Lol. As many of you know I've had major computer woes all week and couple that with running a half marathon last weekend (PR by 4 minutes, woot!) and getting ready for our spring break trip..no updates. Wah!

But I am having coffee on the lanai in waikiii as I type and am headed to brunch, Pearl Harbor and then Aulani.

Looks to be a great day!
I can't imagine anything nicer than coffee on the lanii in Hawaii. That is my very favorite place for outdoor dining, or just about anything outdoors.

And congrats on the four minute PR. :thumbsup2

Wow, that was a really full day - a spa day plus closing down DTD and swimming. I bet you had a great time. ;) We've been to the hole in the wall place at Cookies, too. I agree that Raglan Road looked like more fun.

And you forgot the morning at Cindy's Castle and the MK. So, yeah, it was pretty much non-stop from opening up the MK to closing down DTD, yet it never felt overwhelming. Great day!

We just got back from Disney on Tuesday. We did some resort hopping and had hoped to get back to OKW. We first went to POR to explore and then walked to POFQ. From there we took the boat to DTD and had hoped to take the boat back to OKW. But by the time we toured those two resorts and had lunch at WPE, it was too late to go to OKW, too. At least now I have figured out the DTD boats, how they travel and where they dock. :)

I forgot you were headed back. Good for you. Where did you stay this time? I forget.

I'm glad you figured out the boat system, but I'm not surprised you didn't make it back to OKW. There's only so much you can do in any one trip and something always has to get dropped. Hope you had a fabulous time.

I can't imagine anything nicer than coffee on the lanii in Hawaii. That is my very favorite place for outdoor dining, or just about anything outdoors.

Oh she posted some great pics on FB. I am sure each and every coffee moment was wonderful.

And congrats on the four minute PR. :thumbsup2

I totally agree.

And you forgot the morning at Cindy's Castle and the MK. So, yeah, it was pretty much non-stop from opening up the MK to closing down DTD, yet it never felt overwhelming. Great day!
You're right, I did forget that you started the morning at Cindy's Castle. That really was a long day. :faint:
I forgot you were headed back. Good for you. Where did you stay this time? I forget.
We had booked a garden view at the BC but got a free pixie dust upgrade to a lagoon view corner room with a king bed. It was really nice. :beach:

WOW what a long fun filled yet relaxing day. From Cindy's Castle to DTD. So easy to lose count of the drinks after a while. :rotfl2:

Glad you made it to Splitsville and had a great meal. So 2 castles and a bowling alley. :rotfl:Only in the world...

Your evening looked so fun! I hate cab drivers that whine about short fares. It's better than nothing!

Jill in CO

What a crazy night! I had no idea that the bowling alley would have sushi. :rotfl: That cab driver, wow. :sad2: Nice 1am swim! :rotfl:

Foggy Epcot - whoa, that's different! Excited to hear about your DISmeet!

The sushi at Splitsvillle looked fabulous. OMG on the cab driver, fine, go away and send me the next one, and you won't get a fare!

Getting to Epcot looked crazy! Glad you made it safe!

You're right, I did forget that you started the morning at Cindy's Castle. That really was a long day. :faint:

A really long and fun day. No wonder we didn't make it to the parks first thing the next morning. :laughing:

We had booked a garden view at the BC but got a free pixie dust upgrade to a lagoon view corner room with a king bed. It was really nice. :beach:

NICE!!!!!!! So jelly! You have certainly made the resort rounds this past year - Beach club, WL, OKW. What have I missed? When does you AP expire?

WOW what a long fun filled yet relaxing day. From Cindy's Castle to DTD. So easy to lose count of the drinks after a while. :rotfl2:

Yes, way too easy to lose count of the adult beverages. :drinking1It really was a great day. So. Much. Fun.

Glad you made it to Splitsville and had a great meal. So 2 castles and a bowling alley. :rotfl:Only in the world...

Hey - that would have made a great title for this trip report. ::yes:: Too bad we didn't think of it! :laughing:

The sushi at Splitsville was awesome. Denny will not eat sushi. He has this thing about raw food, so that experience would have been totally lost on him. Now Nick - he would have LOVED that! ::yes::

Your evening looked so fun! I hate cab drivers that whine about short fares. It's better than nothing!

Jill in CO

I know, right? What did he want us to do, ask him to drive us around the block a few times? Sheesh. We had another bad cab driver later in the week. :faint:

It was a very fun day and we only spent a fraction of it in the parks, which just goes to show you don't need a park ticket to have a great day. :goodvibes

What a crazy night! I had no idea that the bowling alley would have sushi. :rotfl:

Neither did we, but it was amazing! And so convenient. We really lucked out just walking up to an empty table. It's ironic because at Disney people often stalk dining reservations for the perfect ADR and this was so the opposite. Totally spontaneous and it turned out to be a trip highlight.

That cab driver, wow. :sad2: Nice 1am swim! :rotfl:

Ugh - I know - he was very annoying. I mean, come on....It's not like we could have walked to OKW and saved him the trouble. The 1am swim made up for it! ::yes::

Foggy Epcot - whoa, that's different! Excited to hear about your DISmeet!

it was so crazy looking. It's a good thing we didn't have a morning park day planned because it rained a lot, off and on, that morning.

The sushi at Splitsvillle looked fabulous.

It really was. I want to go back there and try everything on the menu, but my last two trips have been with Denny and he hates sushi. My son, Nick, loves it, so he and I might have to make a side trip there this summer. ::yes::

OMG on the cab driver, fine, go away and send me the next one, and you won't get a fare!

Seriously, right? I know Cynthia was mad. Later in the week we had another cab driver who tried to pad his fare by taking us a less direct route. It makes you not want to have to take a cab ever in Disney. Who needs that crap? :confused3

Getting to Epcot looked crazy! Glad you made it safe!

It was one of those mornings where it poured off and on. It did make for some cool pictures! ::yes::

You have certainly made the resort rounds this past year - Beach club, WL, OKW. What have I missed?
That's it and it has been a lot. :faint: Dana wanted to treat the kids and that's how we ended up with so many trips this year. The Feb trip was a last minute one with our son, two grandsons, and my sisters. That was when I ran into you at the BC Marketplace. We had gone for dinner at Cape May. My sisters wondered how I knew people at Disney. ;) We have one more trip in October and we are staying at the BC again. We had the best weather last October and after a cold January trip, a rainy and cold February trip and a hot and rainy April trip, we are hoping to get another beautiful October. Maybe we should just stick to October and forget the rest of the year. ;)

When does your AP expire?
The pass expires Nov 30th but we've talked about going back to the WL this winter. Between the bounceback discounts and AP discounts, Disney makes it too tempting to return time after time.

:rotfl:

That's it and it has been a lot. :faint: Dana wanted to treat the kids and that's how we ended up with so many trips this year. The Feb trip was a last minute one with our son, two grandsons, and my sisters. That was when I ran into you at the BC Marketplace. We had gone for dinner at Cape May. My sisters wondered how I knew people at Disney. ;) We have one more trip in October and we are staying at the BC again. We had the best weather last October and after a cold January trip, a rainy and cold February trip and a hot and rainy April trip, we are hoping to get another beautiful October. Maybe we should just stick to October and forget the rest of the year. ;)
:rotfl2: It is pretty funny when you know a lot of people, isn't it? Because other people are like "Huh?".

I have visited during every month (except July - perish the thought!) and I would have to say that Hands Down - October is THE best weather. I will miss October this year, but I really wanted to go back for the Christmas decorations, so early December it is for me. Then one more trip in Feb before my AP expires. Then, I swear, I am taking a break except to go to DL.

The pass expires Nov 30th but we've talked about going back to the WL this winter. Between the bounceback discounts and AP discounts, Disney makes it too tempting to return time after time.

:rotfl:

I hear ya. There's always another reason to go, although I think they are starting to jack the prices a little too quickly these days. ::yes::

A lot of people always wonder why I often rent a car even when staying on Disney property. Simple. The rates are so often so low. $150 for the week? Yes please.

I really want to check out Splitsville. My DTD time has been limited since it opened, but it looks so cool. Plus, I actually want to bowl there. I've never bowled with a big ball with the finger holes before and have always wanted to.

Haha, I think I've had maybe 4 drinks total in all my Disney trips combined. I'm glad to see others are evening things out, lol.

Wait, the buses stop running before DTD closes? Or was it just that late?

IMG_0605_zpsmphavsw0.jpg

WOW! It almost looks like the park is on fire..

A spa day during a Disney trip sounds heavenly! DH would agree with you, he is not really a fan, but I definitely am! I don't know how much I believe in that reflexology stuff... The mom of one of our patients sells those essential oils and gave us a little booklet with a similar picture showing where to rub certain oils on your feet to help different ailments. Sounds like hooey to me, but I've admittedly never tried it, so who really knows?

I have really been wanting to check out Splitsville, but haven't had the opportunity yet. The menu sounds great, and it seems like a fun alley! Maybe when we go on a trip with family next year with lots of built-in babysitters. Glad you were happy with the choice and the sushi was good. Who would have guessed??

Man, out until after 1 am?! I can't do it anymore! The only reason I see that late of an hour now is a sick kid. lol Although I guess with a baby coming I will be seeing the wee hours of the morning more regularly.

Seems like a fun night!!!

Great start to the next day as well. The park looks really creepy with all that fog!

A lot of people always wonder why I often rent a car even when staying on Disney property. Simple. The rates are so often so low. $150 for the week? Yes please.

I know, right? It's totally worth it when you can get a rate that low with all the taxes. I'll admit, our last couple of trips we paid about $100 more than that, but I probably wasn't as diligent at shopping around for the best price. I went through a phase where I would stalk the rental car companies and book and rebook until I could walk away with the absolutely lowest price.

I really want to check out Splitsville. My DTD time has been limited since it opened, but it looks so cool. Plus, I actually want to bowl there. I've never bowled with a big ball with the finger holes before and have always wanted to.

I think it would be really fun to bowl there. My kids asked to do it, but I feel like we have a short week already so I'm not quite sure we will make you. But you never know!

Haha, I think I've had maybe 4 drinks total in all my Disney trips combined. I'm glad to see others are evening things out, lol.

:rotfl2: Oh yeah - I definitely evened things out that night! :rotfl2: For the record - that is not my usual nightly adult beverage consumption. Normally its more. :rotfl: Just kidding!

Wait, the buses stop running before DTD closes? Or was it just that late?

It was just that late. I feel like the last bus was at 12:30 but the bars are open until 1am. I could be wrong on the exact times, but I know we were definitely too late to take the bus home.

WOW! It almost looks like the park is on fire..

That was some crazy fog that day. Part of it was probably my lens fogging, but the rest was the envi::yes::rnoment.

A spa day during a Disney trip sounds heavenly! DH would agree with you, he is not really a fan, but I definitely am! I don't know how much I believe in that reflexology stuff... The mom of one of our patients sells those essential oils and gave us a little booklet with a similar picture showing where to rub certain oils on your feet to help different ailments. Sounds like hooey to me, but I've admittedly never tried it, so who really knows?

Same. And if you aren't having any problems with those particular body parts then how do you know if the reflexology makes any difference? So, I agree - it does sound like hokey, but I enjoyed the overall experience.

I have really been wanting to check out Splitsville, but haven't had the opportunity yet. The menu sounds great, and it seems like a fun alley! Maybe when we go on a trip with family next year with lots of built-in babysitters. Glad you were happy with the choice and the sushi was good. Who would have guessed??

We never went inside. I would love to see it on the inside. But eating outside was perfect for that evening. No rain and the temperature was just perfect. Couldn't asked for a better night. And you're right, who knew? I certainly didn't.

Man, out until after 1 am?! I can't do it anymore! The only reason I see that late of an hour now is a sick kid. lol Although I guess with a baby coming I will be seeing the wee hours of the morning more regularly.

When my kids were little I couldn't do it either. But now that my time is much more my own its easier to occasionally stay up way past my bedtime. ::yes::

Seems like a fun night!!!

We had a lot of fun. It was so spontaneous and unexpected, which made it that much better. :thumbsup2

Great start to the next day as well. The park looks really creepy with all that fog!

It was so foggy and humid from all that morning rain. It actually made for some cool shots. And for a wet camera. :faint:

I got so behind there for a while but I'm all caught up! I'm loving the different perspectives from both of y'all, it's a lot of fun to read and sounds like an awesome trip so far!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter