• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oh boy-made the switch hope i don't regret it!!!

doublemom1998

Earning My Ears
Well i did the deed. Switched from POR to ASMu family suites./ Just not too keen on the food court being closed or even reduced in service at POR. Especially with the dining plan, i need value and convienence. For the amount of time we are going 2/2-2/9, really started to like the idea of a family suite with all the room for DH, myself and twin DS8 DD8. Hoping we wont regret the lack of amenities but frankly, hope we wont miss it either!!!

At first I was surprised to see you switch from mod to value. until I realized you have the family total of 4. I think I would like the privacy of the suite. and your kids will probably enjoy the resort!

Make sure to post after your trip and let us know how you liked the family suite and the resort.

Hope you have a wonderful time! I think the extra space and room in the family suites looks great too! :sunny:

I hope you will enjoy the Suites as much as DH and I did.

They sleep up to 6.
2 in Queen size bed.
2 in the double size fold out sofa.
1 in the twin fold out chair.
1 in the twin size fold out ottoman.

Room size Comparison:

Pop Century/All Stars-260 Square Feet
CS, POR/POFQ-314 SF
Caribbean Beach-340 SF
Wilderness Lodge-344 SF
AKL-344 SF
Yacht/Beach-381 SF
Boardwalk-385 SF
Polynesian-409 SF
Contemporary-436 SF
Grand Floridian-about 400-440SF
Ft Wilderness Cabins-504 SF
Family suites at All Star Music -520 SF

Here is the layout:

ASMusic_FamSuite_layout.jpg

Here is my review:

DH and I stayed in the Family Suites at All Star Music last September.
We stayed in room 0618 (for 8 nights) which is a HA room with a roll in shower.
It was just refurbished and had a totally new look.

It was decorated with the same decor as the new suites and even had a privacy curtain between the bedroom area and the area by the sink!

We had reserved a Family Suite for our last 2 nights. When I reserved them in April I had requested a HA room and was told HA Family Suites would not be available until 2007 so I asked about a raised toilet seat and CRO told me that would not be a problem.
Turned out it was a problem. There are not any Family Suites with raised toilet seats yet so we opted to stay at the Suites just 1 night.

Let me tell you I loved the Suites and once they have HA Family Suites available I would book my whole stay there in the future!

We stayed in 0416 which is on the ground floor. Room 0418 which was next door was not a Suites so the Suites are not all grouped together.
The living area was the best. There was a small table with 2 blue modern looking chairs by the window area.

The chairs had a small amount of cushioning and curved backs and seemed more conformable (to me) than the old straight back chairs they had in the old All Star Music rooms. The table top was wood grain and there were silhouettes of Mickey all abound the edge in a darker wood color.

04.jpg

The living room area is very roomy when the furniture is the closed position.

When you first enter the room you get a feeling that you can take time to relax and spread out in these rooms. The cramped feeling is not there. there is a sofa, chair and ottoman which fold out into beds. There are two small end tables and soft foot stool for the sofa.

06.jpg

The TV was a 27 inch flat screen and the cabinet had three drawers under the TV area. There were two shelves next to the TV and a cabinet door which opened to reveal 2 more shelves.

03.jpg

I opened up the chair bed and it was very conformable to lay down on. The back of the chair actually rests on the floor supporting the chair bed when it is folded out into the bed. I took a picture and if it turns out I will post it. It was pretty amazing the way they designed the pull out furniture!
The frame of the bed is metal so when I went to get of the chair bed I did feel the metal bars at the edge of the bed.

07.jpg

I tried to get the ottoman into the master bedroom area but I am sorry to say the ottoman is just too wide and will not fit through the door jam.

The sink and closet areas in the suites also have privacy curtains.
The sink areas have 2 shelf cubbies under them for storage and a Kleenex tissue area under them. There are wall mounted hair dryers with the built in amber night lights on the walls by the sinks.

12.jpg

Each dressing area has a privacy curtain, closet area, iron, ironing board and wall safe. The wall safes are the standard size which will hold a wallet a cell phone a small DVD player, a personal CD player, or a few CDs but it is not large enough for a lap top or anything that is more than a couple of inches wide.

Remember the Suites have 2 bathrooms, 2 dressing areas with privacy curtains, 2 safes, 2 hairdryers, 2 closets, 2 TVs, 2 separate sleeping, areas and 2 TVs.

The kitchenette has a lot storage area also.
There was an ice bucket with 6 plastic cups on the countor and a coffeepot with 6 of the throw away foam hot cups.
There were 6 paper plates, 6 paper bowls, Paper towels and a silverware tray on an upper shelf.
The silverware container had 6 sets of plastic ware and a can opener in it.

13.jpg

The kitchenette has a nice size microwave, and the fridge is the larger under the counter dorm fridge. The fridge has small freezer on the top which was big enough to freeze my 3 small ice pacs for my meds. The area for the freezer is not very high. You might be able to put a couple of small water bottles in it to freeze them but a larger water bottle would not be able to fit in the freezer area.

14.jpg

The Master room was nice size and it was nice to have a desk area with a mirror over it so it also sure as a make up area if one chose to it as such.
The TV cabinet had 3 nice size storage drawers. The easy chair next to the bed was nice addition. I enjoyed being able to sit there instead of using a table chair or bed to sit.

The queen size bed was conformable. The AC at newly refurbished has been updated to Cental air style instead of the old under the window style. It worked fine while we were there. Our room was very quiet.

18.jpg

15.jpg

The Master area had enough room for a twin size aero bed if you placed the bed with one end by the window and had it running between the desk and the foot of bed. (You would need to move the desk chair out of the way. )The aero bed would block the access of the Queen size bed from the far side, however. The bed was a Queen.

16.jpg

There were only a few things in our Suite that were different from those pictured on the DIS resorts homepage.

1) The headboard was smaller than the one pictured here taken from the DIS resorts homepage.

2) The tile on the kitchen floor and bathroom floor was tan and navy blue instead of the tan and white in the pictured room.

3) Also the far wall in the living area when you enter room was painted blue instead of the tan color the rest of the room was room is painted.

4) Ironing boards and iron were in each closet area.

Our Digital camera is not working so I took some photos on a disposable one.
I will post a fewof them in couple days if they turn out. Meanwhile I will post a few of the photos from the DIS Homepage to add to my descriptions.

Mousekeeping was great.

Mousekeeping left plenty of towels and we were pleasantly surprised by a pair of love bird towel animals when we returned to our room on evening midway through our stay!

The Calypso pool was never crowded even though the Fantasia pool at Movies was closed during the time we stayed Music.

We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for bus and only shared buses on the way back from some of the parks. Music always had its own bus back from MK.

Any questions? Just ask and I will try to answer them.

Photos of ASMu from allearnet.com:

asm_pl2.jpg

Quiet pool

asm_calp9.jpg

Calypso icon * NOTE the lush landscaping

allstar-music2_lg-1.jpg

Calypso pool *NOTE the palm trees and landscapimg.

asm_br7.jpg

Garden near Broadway

asm_13.jpg

Ariel near quiet pool

asm6.jpg

Broadway with B&B

02.jpg

Fountain by Jazz Inn

:thumbsup2
----------------------------------

All Star Music is my favorite resort. It tends to be the quietest of all the values.

Here is a map of sports and music:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmap.htm
Scroll down. All Star Music is at the bottom of the page.

Here is the map of Movies:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmovie.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------

DH and I enjoy the landscaping and peacefulness of All Star Music.
We enjoy relaxing by the pool (there are plenty of chairs and lounges), and the beautiful lighting at the resort by night.

I have never had the unfortunate experience of running into the any of the large
groups of teens who sometimes stay at the values on school trips.
As long as you can avoid those large groups I do not think Noise will be an issue.

*HINT if you close your bathroom door at night you might not even hear the turbo toilets.
I close my bathroom door and I don't hear them.
------------------------------------

I love The All Star Resorts.

I am 56 years old and travel several times a year. I often stay at 4 star hotels.
So the deluxe and mod resorts are just another hotel/motel to me.
All Star is like being in the heart of the Magic and that is where I want to be.

All Star Music is my favorite. It is quieter because more couples stay there. I love staying at the Calypso building. It is closer to the pool, food court and bus stop.

Here is a site with a map of All Star Sports and All Star Music.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmap.htm
Scroll down. All Star Music is at the bottom of the page.
The Calypso buildings at All Star Music are #1 and #10 are nearest to the food court and bus stop.

The Calypso pool at ASMu has Donald Duck.

The buses are wonderful.

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---POPbuses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----25 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----20 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------15 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------20 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot, MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

A WORD ABOUT BUS SHARING

To me Bus Sharing at the All Stars is really a non issue.

In the mornings during Park opening hours each All Star usually has a dedicated bus.
During mid day it is usually just our stop and maybe one more on the way to the parks. On the way back sometimes it is all 3 but often Sports and Music share and Movies has it's own bus back. Each of the All Stars usually has it's own dedicated bus back from the MK.
That is a big plus. It seems like the Music bus stop usually has the shortest of the three All Star bus lines.

I guess some people who stay at POP see all 3 All Star names on the return sign of our bus stop when they head to the POP bus stop and think All Stars also has 3 stops on the way to the park.
(Even when we stop at another AS resort to load up it has not taken more than 5 minutes and we are on our way!)

The pools at The All Stars are very kid friendly.

When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools.That means 3 main pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.

The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

And the Surfs up pool at All Star Sports has giant surf boards.

Here are a few pool photos.

astar3.jpg

All Star Sports pool.

allstar-music2_lg.jpg

All Star Music Donald pool.

asmv20.jpg

All Star Movies Mickey Pool.

I have visited WDW more than a dozen times with the 1st time in Oct. 1971. It was brand new. I've stayed at FW, Disney Inn, a few the of Hotels on hotel Blvd., CBR and the towers at the Contemporary. I got to see the MK from my balcony at the Contemporary and I'm happy I got to experience it once. I just prefer the All Star Resorts.
The theming is pure Disney.
My last 6 visits have been at The All Stars and during the fall of 2005 when we took dd,dsil, and our grandson age 3 (at the time) for 8 nights we stayed at the All Stars Music. I thought about AKL and even though we can well afford AKL I just wanted Alex to experience the Disney Magic :wizard: at the All Stars on his first visit.
Where else can one find Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse at the pool?

Have a great time at Disney !

We are staying at POR in March. Debated back and forth about changing and figured if we changed then we would wonder and regret it and if we stay we will regret not having easy access to a food court. :confused3 I guess for now we are staying and hopefully some Dis'rs will post their experience on the board. Was there a price difference in the family suite vrs POR? Don't need to know $$, just if it was the same, a little more or a little less. I'm sure you'll have a great time. My SIL and family stayed there last year (regular room) and loved it! :thumbsup2

Linda, your review is what swayed me in the first place! This trip is one we have been wanting ot do forever and we want to make sure we do it up right!!

MADSOFA- As far as price, yes is was more per night, and the AAA discount isnt available. ABout $50 per night more. I'm starting to think it will be worth it and getting more excited!!! (if that is possible!!)

Madsofa said:
We are staying at POR in March. Debated back and forth about changing and figured if we changed then we would wonder and regret it and if we stay we will regret not having easy access to a food court. :confused3 I guess for now we are staying and hopefully some Dis'rs will post their experience on the board. Was there a price difference in the family suite vrs POR? Don't need to know $$, just if it was the same, a little more or a little less. I'm sure you'll have a great time. My SIL and family stayed there last year (regular room) and loved it! :thumbsup2

The Suites run about $30 more a night than a mod but you get a Queen Size in the master bedroom area, a kitchenette with a microwave, 2 bathrooms, 2 27 inch flat screen TV's, 2 dressing area with privacy curtains, 2 hair dryers with built-in night lights, 2 closets and a living area to sit down and relax after a day at the parks.

----------------------------------

I like the Suites because...........

*** They are 520 square feet.

*** The Family suites are located in the Jazz and Calypso buildings at All Star Music.(these are the closet buildings to the food court and the bus stop.

*** They cost less than a standard room at AKL or WL.

*** They have a QUEEN size bed (the other values and even the Mods do not have a queen bed.

***the fridge is included (if you booked 2 connecting value rooms you would need to pay $10 extra for a night for a fridge if you wanted one.

*** They come with a microwave and coffeepot (If you booked 2 connecting value rooms you would not even be able to rent a microwave and coffeepot.

***They have 2 TV's (if you book POR or a Deluxe room which sleeps 5 you will have 1 TV)

They have 2 bathrooms (if you book POR or a Deluxe room which sleeps 5 you will have 1 Bathroom.

For more info and photos please see my FAQ thread and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Here is the FAQ thread:*Note you can also find it on the resort sticky

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409

----------------------------------------------

Here is some info about the Family Suites:

Disney has started booking these New Family Suites!

The Family Suites will be located in the Calypso and Jazz Inn Buildings. When complete:

Calypso Building 1 will have 32 suites
Calypso Building 10 will have 54 suites
Jazz Inn Building 2 will have 52 suites
Jazz Inn Building 9 will have 54 suites

The suites are located on all three floors, and will be near each other, but none will offer connecting suites. There is no price difference between the buildings.

2006 pricing will be:

$169 plus tax - Value Season (Aug 27 - Oct 4; Nov 26 - Dec 19)
$209 plus tax - Regular Season (Apr 23 - Aug 26; Oct 5 - Nov 25)
$239 plus tax - Peak Season (Mar 6* - Apr 22)
$259 plus tax Holiday Season (Dec 20 - 31)
(* once available)

Check here for the 2007 rates:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates-2007.htm#VALUE

For comparison, the price of a Family Suite is $9-11 more then 2 Standard Rooms, or $13-15 less the 2 Preferred Rooms, depending on season.

doublemom1998 said:
Linda, your review is what swayed me in the first place! This trip is one we have been wanting ot do forever and we want to make sure we do it up right!!

MADSOFA- As far as price, yes is was more per night, and the AAA discount isnt available. ABout $50 per night more. I'm starting to think it will be worth it and getting more excited!!! (if that is possible!!)

Cool! :cool1:

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Since you are the DDP be sure to book those ADRs as soon as possible.
you can book up to 180 days in advance.

Check out this website for sample menus.(* note sometimes the choices change but it gives you a good idea of what types of food will be available.)

http://allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

Have fun at Disney and be sure to post a review when you return.

I will be watching for it. :wizard:

:thanks: Doublemom1998 adn minnie61650! I appreciate your sharing! It sounds like you get more "value" (HA! no pun intended!) for your dollar with the family suite. I think I will have my TA investigate and find out exactly how much more it would cost! :goodvibes

we loved the suite. it was really roomy, and it was nice to have 2 tvs, cause i like to stay up later. but then again it was just me and dh. see, we really like the food court. all the trips we have gone with our 2 dd and friends, they always had a good choice.i think you will really enjoy the room.

minnie61650 said:
Cool! :cool1:

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Since you are the DDP be sure to book those ADRs as soon as possible.
you can book up to 180 days in advance.

Check out this website for sample menus.(* note sometimes the choices change but it gives you a good idea of what types of food will be available.)

http://allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

Have fun at Disney and be sure to post a review when you return.

I will be watching for it. :wizard:

LOL!! I've had my ADR's since August!!

doublemom1998 we stayed in the Suites for Thanksgiving. We are a family of five. We debated back and forth over all five of us in one room at Deluxe Resort. While I would one day love to stay at a Deluxe, reality of five of us with one bathroom sank in.

We loved the Suites. It was my first time at a value and it was great. The food court was even better than I imagined. My kids wanted to eat most of our counter service meals there.

Each child has their own sleeping space. It worked out well for us. I think overall you will love the added room it gives you. Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter