• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Offsite rental home recs?

jaceraden

Ringleader to 3 kids in a Disney loving family
We are flirting with the idea of staying offsite for our next visit... Just to see what it's like on the other side.

We are sniffing around at renting a house as it appeals to to group that will be going. 2 Grandparents, 2 parents and 3 kids under 10. I am pretty overwhelmed with VRBO and could use some tips/guidance.

We prefer a bungalow and easy access to the main routes is a plus. Absolute must haves are two master suites and a private pool AND hot tub.

Has anyone stayed somewhere great that they want to recommend?

Thanks in advance!

We are flirting with the idea of staying offsite for our next visit... Just to see what it's like on the other side.

We are sniffing around at renting a house as it appeals to to group that will be going. 2 Grandparents, 2 parents and 3 kids under 10. I am pretty overwhelmed with VRBO and could use some tips/guidance.

We prefer a bungalow and easy access to the main routes is a plus. Absolute must haves are two master suites and a private pool AND hot tub.

Has anyone stayed somewhere great that they want to recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Windsor Hills is a no brainer. It is about as close as you can get and the houses are generally awesome.

That said... VRBO is your FRIEND! I like to look at the pics of the house and the location on the property... here are the guidelines I use:

1) Villa must have good pics, with recent (mostly) positive reviews... almost any villa is going to have a negative review or two.
2) Pool should back up to a wooded or common area, not another house. (We highly value our privacy...) VRBO will generally allow you to xoom right in and see where the villa sits on the property. Use that feature!
3) Air conditioned game room.... we want pool table, foos ball, ping pong, or other games. It is amazing what a fun thing a properly set up game room can be for the family experience. BUT... if you are there during warm weather this cannot be a non air conditioned garage. In many cases the pools and houses are pretty equal... but the game rooms are NOT.
4) Wifi, laundry, how you will pick up your key to the house, etc... There are a million details... make absolutely SURE you villa has the amenities you want... don't assume.
5) Nereby groceries, shopping, restaurants. (This will be true for nearly any development.)
6) To do this right you pretty much MUST rent/hire a car. I far prefer this, but not everyone does. With the crew you are bringing it will need to be a Van, or perhaps 2 cars. Make sure you have this problem well understood and covered. You definitely want to be in an auto rental program where you can bypass the rental counter and go right to the car/van. The lines in Orlando can be ginormous at certain times of year. A poor car rental experience at the airport can really get you off on the wrong foot if you are not diligent.

Also... are there other key things to make your stay happy? Need golf? Consider Reunion resort. A huge variety of Villas built amongst great golf courses with a private water park. Need fishing out your back door? Then consider Sunset lakes or Lake Berkley. These are just a bit further to drive, but can enrich your experience in ways other than the theme parks. (rules 1-6 still apply).

Hope that helps!

Wanted to add one thing since you mentioned it... those little circular things you see in some of the private pools are generally NOT hot tubs (though some listings imply this). I would say a true hot tub is a fairly rare item for most villa rentals...

As an example... we stayed in this villa last fall: https://www.vrbo.com/378792

This Villa is in Lake Berkley... extremely close to the Medieval Times show. It is a lot further from Disney than Windsor Hills, but if you take the right routes, maybe only 10 more driving minutes, which is what counts.

It has a true hot tub, an air conditioned game room, and we could bait up a hook and be catching fish within 5 minutes of leaving the pool area. One night we watched an alligator swim by while fishing... extremely cool.

My point here is that there are a zillion Villa options in the general area. Do your research and you will be very happy I think.

Ed

The 4 bedroom 3 bath houses in Windsor palms have 2 master suites and some of them have spas in addition to the pools. The other 2 bedrooms are usually kid rooms (2 twin beds per room). 5 minutes from Disney, Super Target, Olive Garden, etc.

Another vote for Windsor Hills. I have only stayed in the condos there but the property is great. The location can't be beat.

Windsor Hills and Windsor Palms both have homes that fit the bill.

We are staying at this one in Feb: http://www.candymouse-villa.com

Instead of paying a fee to VRBO I used this site to get quotes directly from owners: http://www.windsor-palms-florida.net

After submitting a request for the home size I wanted I got 8-9 responses in a day or two. There were 3-4 that had all the amenities I was looking for, so I chose between those.

Most of the 4+ bedroom villas will have two masters so that won't be hard to find.

I think edolee said it well about what to look for in the other amenities.

As you have discovered there are plenty of vacation villas near Disney. While I don't have a specific villa recommendation I can say that the West Haven development in Davenport is very nice and will have villas that meet your needs.

We always stay at Windsor Hills. It's proximity to everything makes it easy to get anywhere very quickly. Our last few visits we have stayed at www.villaparklane.com. The house is great and has everything we need. Very clean as well. Good luck!

Anyone who has been to Windsor hills or palms, did you use shuttle service to the parks at all?

Anyone who has been to Windsor hills or palms, did you use shuttle service to the parks at all?

Do you mean a "Free" service provided by the resort? I would say it would be rare for a housing development to have a free service.

I did find this (I have absolutely NO experience with it):

• MainGate Shuttle Taxi [407-390-0000] Shuttles to Disney are $10/per person round trip. They set off & return from the Windsor Hills Clubhouse. Actual times are dependent on the season, so please call for an up-to-date timetable. Shuttles to Universal are $14/per person round trip. They set off & return from the Windsor Hills Clubhouse. Actual times are dependent on the season, so please call for an up-to-date timetable. Shuttles are also available to other attractions as well as to malls/outlet stores. Reservations must be made at least 1 hour prior to departure date. Guests must be at designated area 10 minutes prior to departure. Taxis are also available. Shuttles to Disney are $50 round trip up to 7 people Shuttles to Universal are $65 round trip up to 7 people Taxis are $45 each way These prices are discounted for Windsor Hills’ guests There are personal vans that will come and pick you up from your front door and you can schedule anytime.

Another vote for Windsor Hills. Have stayed in 2 different 6BR villas on 3 different trips. Currently narrowing it down for our November trip.

I agree that Windsor Hills is definitely closer to WDW but I personally prefer Lake Berkley for its proximity to shopping, dining, other activities. We stayed in this home last year - https://www.vrbo.com/97105. It was great and would totally meet your wish list.

There is Encore at Reunion it is brand new with an awesome water park and clubhouse, and they have shuttles to the parks! We just left there today, it is a great place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter