Offsite...can't find the value like everyone else

OP: For us staying off property, I can sum it up in 1 word - Privacy!
We love people, but after basically seeing, hearing, bumping with and smelling strangers all day, we REALLY have had enough.
We do not want to transport with, wait for, line up with or eat with the masses 24/7.

-We always rent a house near WDW and I don't think we'd ever stay on site.
-We enjoy having our own private fenced in - not overlooked pool for nearly every morning and evening swims.
-We enjoy having our own private non-overlooked hot tub, especially after the kids are asleep, so nice to relax away the days aches and pains.
-We enjoy everyone having there own bathroom and bedroom.
-We enjoy having the garage turned game room with multiple activities.
-We enjoy lounging on real and comfortable living room furniture.
-We like having a full kitchen and BBQ grill for when we want it.
-We enjoy having a bit of lawn to play on if we desire.

-We go to the area for the Theme Parks yes, but we also want more from our vacation than just Disney...R & R and fun family togetherness are important too.
-Most neighborhoods have playgrounds, trails, clubhouses, pools, etc....
-We rent a vehicle because sometimes we like to drive to the coast, Universal, a restaurant, show or whatever.

Our next visit it 8 nights in a 5 bdrm / 4 bath home with very private backyard.
This is in June for only $1300. There is no comparison to the price, space, privacy and amenities with any Disney accommodation.
Thank goodness there are lots of options, so everyone can pick what will work best for their family/friends/visits!

-We go to the area for the Theme Parks yes, but we also want more from our vacation than just Disney...R & R and fun family togetherness are important too.

I love this. Yes!! We are staying off site this June and are looking forward to our time back at the condo. We're bringing some games and planning on having some down time together. This is a vacation and our kids are young, so we will have a napper as well. He can nap and our oldest can hang out in the living room with us for some down time. That is definitely worth it to me!!

The value in this case can also be on how good of a sleeper your daughter is and how much alone time you desire. If you get back to the all-star room at 8pm and want to hang out you are all in one room with 2 double beds. I believe the Blue Heron is a suite set up. Putting the child in a closed bedroom and enjoying your own space for a few hours, can't put a dollar figure on that.

Last time we stayed on site we stayed at CSR, very nice room, nice resort, and I believe we had free dining on that trip. I was so tired of going to sleep the same time as the kids, or sitting on the floor of the bathroom so I could use the laptop or read after 9 pm. We have two kids, now 10 and 12. They loved the private pool and so did I...I could schlepp out in my jammies to supervise. Loved playing pool in the games room with dh after they were safely in bed. Loved having a full kitchen, not being dependent on restaurants for every meal (even with free dining, it's a hassle). At $100/nt last time for a 4-bd house with private pool, we were definitely saving money and getting a more luxurious and relaxing experience. And even if we are onsite we want our own car. Personally we thought the budget Disney hotels don't offer much--really a motel 8 kind of experience at the room level at least. Pools and ambience were great, but we didn't use the buses. So, it's really "YMMV", as others have said.

I've been to Florida quite a few times and I used to stay offsite at a low priced regular hotel. We had a good time, but then I saw a discount on Disney hotels and then I was hooked staying onsite. My nephew who was about 7 or 8 when we stayed at Pop Century had such a good time.

About two years ago I was planning a trip which was going to be onsite at Pop Century again, but then I was able to go with a friend who owns a timeshare through Wyndham and we stayed at Star Island.

Yes, you can't beat the convenience of staying on site if the majority of your vacation is spent at the parks. It was harder going to the Disney parks and we didn't have the convenience of the buses and going back to the hotel for some down time and then going back to the parks in the evenings, but when I sat out on the balcony in the evening with a cup of coffee I was really on vacation. My nephew who was 10 at that time had a blast. He was able to venture out to the game room or basketball court on his own. My other nephew who was 1 at the time, had so much room to run around. He loved pushing his stroller on the balcony in the evenings and falling asleep under the stars.

Having a full kitchen, washer & dryer and plenty of space for a toddler to run around, you can't beat it. The grounds, having large pools that aren't as crowded as onsite Disney pools is great.

I am going back to Florida in July again with my niece and her 2 sons and we are going to Bonnet Creek. It looks great. The kids will have a ball. I don't think I could stay onsite any more.

I've only been once but I agree, we were at a condo timeshare and it was so great, so much room, and a break form all of the Disney magic was kind of nice. We are trying to go for a few days as an add on to another trip next November and since we will have almost no hotel time am thinking of one of the Disney properties. However even for a short time the thought of a tiny room and a 2 year old is daunting compared to last time!

We love people, but after basically seeing, hearing, bumping with and smelling strangers all day, we REALLY have had enough.
We do not want to transport with, wait for, line up with or eat with the masses 24/7.

-We enjoy having our own private fenced in - not overlooked pool for nearly every morning and evening swims.
-We enjoy having our own private non-overlooked hot tub, especially after the kids are asleep, so nice to relax away the days aches and pains.

-We rent a vehicle because sometimes we like to drive to the coast, Universal, a restaurant, show or whatever.

Our next visit it 8 nights in a 5 bdrm / 4 bath home with very private backyard.
This is in June for only $1300. There is no comparison to the price, space, privacy and amenities with any Disney accommodation.
Thank goodness there are lots of options, so everyone can pick what will work best for their family/friends/visits!

You hit the nail on the head with all our points. We will never go back to onsite (even if it's just DH and I--there are nice 1 bed condos at WH) We like to spread out, have breakfast in our jammies and relax before starting the hectic park day.

ITA!:banana:
we got lucky and got 9 nights for $785 in a 4 bedrom/3 bath pool house for the last week in June :goodvibes

Yes, you really shouldn't compare costs with a suite/condo vs a basic hotel room, and you CAN get rooms for WAY less offsite for regular rooms, too. Personally we like suites or at least the family suites like at Holiday Inn, as my 12 and 15 year old daughters have reached the point of NEVER wanting to sleep together. We like the Holiday Inn Maingate East, the Drury Inn Sand Lake Road, and the Springhill Suites; the last 2 include a full breakfast, Drury includes a "snack" buffet in the evenings (hotdogs, mac & cheese, veggies, chips, etc) as well as 3 alcoholic drinks per adult and unlimited soft drinks or juice. Also has popcorn and soda/juice from 3-10pm. I can generally get any of these 3 with 3 beds (either suite with 2 beds plus pullout couch or family suite with 1 king/queen and set of bunk beds) for @ $100 per night, and no cleaning charge, and these 3 are by no means the least expensive options, we have stayed in family suites or 1-2 bedroom suites for as little as $30 per night in Orlando/Kissimmee area. These are just our faves on the list, with honorable mention going to Quality Parc Royale where we had a 2 bedroom suite (1 king room, 2 doubles in 2nd bedroom + pullout couch, 2 baths, kitchen, included a limited breakfast) for $69 per night last fall, the decor is a bit dated there, but still in good condition.

Most of all, I want a washer and dryer! I love packing light (we always go for ten days - and fly). Before, we'd pack clothes for each of the four of us for ten days, plus a few extra sets. That's a lot of clothes. (I don't see how anyone can wear anything more than once without washing after being in a theme park in the FL heat.) YUCK.

KC

If you stay where we are staying 10 days from now...the Quality SUites Lake Buena Vista our rate is for $71 a night which is a one bedroom suite with a living room and a kitchen, full size fridge and ice maker. It includes free hot breakfast for everybody in your room. You can get a one bedroom with a King in the bedroom and a pull out sofa or you can get a one bedroom that has 2 queens and a pull out sofa. It's on Palm parkway right in the heart of a ton of restaurants and stores. It is half way between Universal and Disney and since we go to both during our trips being centrally located for us is a big plus.

We're staying 6 nights and our total rate is $400.

Most of all, I want a washer and dryer! I love packing light (we always go for ten days - and fly). Before, we'd pack clothes for each of the four of us for ten days, plus a few extra sets. That's a lot of clothes. (I don't see how anyone can wear anything more than once without washing after being in a theme park in the FL heat.) YUCK.

And I will wholeheartedly second that :thumbsup2 .

ITA!:banana:
we got lucky and got 9 nights for $785 in a 4 bedrom/3 bath pool house for the last week in June :goodvibes
Nice Deal!

Yes, you really shouldn't compare costs with a suite/condo vs a basic hotel room, and you CAN get rooms for WAY less offsite for regular rooms, too. Personally we like suites or at least the family suites like at Holiday Inn, as my 12 and 15 year old daughters have reached the point of NEVER wanting to sleep together. We like the Holiday Inn Maingate East, the Drury Inn Sand Lake Road, and the Springhill Suites; the last 2 include a full breakfast, Drury includes a "snack" buffet in the evenings (hotdogs, mac & cheese, veggies, chips, etc) as well as 3 alcoholic drinks per adult and unlimited soft drinks or juice. Also has popcorn and soda/juice from 3-10pm. I can generally get any of these 3 with 3 beds (either suite with 2 beds plus pullout couch or family suite with 1 king/queen and set of bunk beds) for @ $100 per night, and no cleaning charge, and these 3 are by no means the least expensive options, we have stayed in family suites or 1-2 bedroom suites for as little as $30 per night in Orlando/Kissimmee area. These are just our faves on the list, with honorable mention going to Quality Parc Royale where we had a 2 bedroom suite (1 king room, 2 doubles in 2nd bedroom + pullout couch, 2 baths, kitchen, included a limited breakfast) for $69 per night last fall, the decor is a bit dated there, but still in good condition.
Great deals, too!

KC
Yes, yep & Oh, Yeah!

If you stay where we are staying 10 days from now...the Quality SUites Lake Buena Vista our rate is for $71 a night which is a one bedroom suite with a living room and a kitchen, full size fridge and ice maker. It includes free hot breakfast for everybody in your room. You can get a one bedroom with a King in the bedroom and a pull out sofa or you can get a one bedroom that has 2 queens and a pull out sofa. It's on Palm parkway right in the heart of a ton of restaurants and stores. It is half way between Universal and Disney and since we go to both during our trips being centrally located for us is a big plus.

We're staying 6 nights and our total rate is $400.
Sounds Great!

And I will wholeheartedly second that :thumbsup2 .
Ditto!

We stay off site because we like to go to Tampa Busch Gardens and other parks in Orlando. We rented a 4 bedroom 3 bath house with splash pool and spa for $99. They also have an A+ rating with the better business bureau. We have not gone yet but reviews on many sites are positive. good luck finding what is right for you.

We are DVC members and even stayed at Windsor Hills last year over Easter break. We rented a 5 br. 5 br. home with pool. IT WAS GREAT. We had a larger group and needed more than a 2 br. on property. It was not a far drive at all to the parks. We had wonderful down time in this rental home. It was perfect.

Now...we just got back from a studio stay over this year's Easter break. This was only the 2nd time we have been in a studio. Last summer my son and I did a mother/son trip and stayed in a Studio and that was GREAT. This time...we had 3 people in a studio for 2 nights, then 4 in a studio for 3 nights then back to 3 people for the last 3 nights. We had staggered stays with our college daughter's schedule and my husband who could not make the trip for the entire time. WELL....after always booking 2 bedroom DVC villas...that studio was TOO CRAMPED FOR FOR 4 of us. NEVER AGAIN. :rolleyes1 With 3 it was okay, but honestly WE LOVE OUR SPACE.

In Aug. we will be going back to Disney. I booked a 4 br. villa at Villas at Seven Dwarfs Lane for 79 a night. It is a little further out than Windsor Hills but for the price.....I jumped on it. http://www.vrbo.com/428156 We have AP's so we don't pay have to pay for park parking. I love staying DVC but staying off site is FINE WITH US TOO.

Or, if you really want to stay on site you could rent points from a DVC member. Points go from anywhere from $10-$13/point. David's, one of the sponsors of the DisBoards, rents points for $13/pt. A week in a deluxe studio at Old Key West for next May is 99 points. 99 x $13 = $1287. You get a DVC deluxe resort, a much bigger and better room than any of the value resorts and all the normal Disney perks for less than the cost of the value room. Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter