Official Wine & Dine 2014

I am only doing the 5K but I am super excited just the same!! Doing this with my 15 year old daughter who helped me lose 55 pounds last year! I wanted to lose 100 total, but I will take the 55 for now!! I will just have to come back next year when I lose the rest, right? :)

Have a great weekend, everyone!! It's going to be a blast! :)

What an inspiration! That is a lot of weight, good for you by celebrating it with a race! I started with 2 Disney 5 Ks then Everest then a half. I ran the first Princess 5k and the 2nd fall 5k. When I did packet pick up in 2010, I saw the W and D half shirts. That was all it took! I signed up for my first half because of the shirt!

I am only doing the 5K but I am super excited just the same!! Doing this with my 15 year old daughter who helped me lose 55 pounds last year! I wanted to lose 100 total, but I will take the 55 for now!! I will just have to come back next year when I lose the rest, right? :)

That's fantastic! I hope you enjoy the 5k and use it as a time to celebrate your accomplishment!

If you're using "only" to simply clarify which race you're doing, then that's fine. :) Same with using "just" to describe it. People don't always use those words to mean negative things! Sometimes it's simply being clear. :)

Be aware that once you start training for longer and longer distances, the losses will get harder. So get solidly to your goal before you start, for instance, training for a Half. Trust me. :upsidedow

Anybody looking at weather forecasts? Weather.com says Saturday the high will be 75 with a low of 51.

51?! That would be AWESOME! :banana:

Anybody looking at weather forecasts? Weather.com says Saturday the high will be 75 with a low of 51.

That would be excellent!

Any recommended times for going to the expo for the smallest crowds? Last year we went fairly late on Friday (5:30-ish I think) and walked right in, but we'll be at a park at that time this year.

So as this is my first half, what are recommendations for post-race foot wear? Same sneakers and just new socks? Flip-Flops so the feet can air out? Any other tips for post-race stuff would be welcomed!:cool1:

So as this is my first half, what are recommendations for post-race foot wear? Same sneakers and just new socks? Flip-Flops so the feet can air out? Any other tips for post-race stuff would be welcomed!:cool1:

I always need new shoes, by the end of a half my shoes are SOAKED!

TOT I had my crocs flipflops but later realized how much I wanted to have long socks on. This race I'm wearing Zensah compression sleeves and might bring my other sleeves to put on with the flipflops, OR I'll just bring normal long socks and wear my minimal shoes that I'll bring in the gear bag.

No matter what, DIFFERENT shoes. The moment I'm done with the race I want to be out of my shoes.

I always need new shoes, by the end of a half my shoes are SOAKED!

Are you a water-over-the-head dumper?

I put on my compression socks for recovery of the legs. I won't be wearing them in the race...too warm for that!

Don't look now, but many of the models are now showing a low crossing the Gulf and central Florida sometime Saturday night with increasing chances for rain and some humidity :(

Don't look now, but many of the models are now showing a low crossing the Gulf and central Florida sometime Saturday night with increasing chances for rain and some humidity :(

yeah ... I looked. 70% chance of rain. ick. :mad:

let's talk running in the rain plans. do you change anything, wear something different or just get wet?

Oh rain for a half stinks! hopefully it wont happen. but. At least you're looking at rain. I'm looking at snow. I'm not running wine and dine this year because I underestimated my run-cation budget. So I'm running a 10-mile race up here in PA. Until today there was a 60% chance of rain/snow mix with the temps between 30-40 degrees. I have a wicked headcold and no desire to run in freezing temps with it. I still want to do the race but am worried ill get worse sick from it. Plus I haven't run since last Wednesday (I did do up to 10 miles in my training with my last 10 mile run being ten days ago). I can't figure out what to do!

Oh rain for a half stinks! hopefully it wont happen. but. At least you're looking at rain. I'm looking at snow. I'm not running wine and dine this year because I underestimated my run-cation budget. So I'm running a 10-mile race up here in PA. Until today there was a 60% chance of rain/snow mix with the temps between 30-40 degrees. I have a wicked headcold and no desire to run in freezing temps with it. I still want to do the race but am worried ill get worse sick from it. Plus I haven't run since last Wednesday (I did do up to 10 miles in my training with my last 10 mile run being ten days ago). I can't figure out what to do!

A lot of people use the neck rule: if it's below the neck you don't run, if it's just a head cold, etc. you can run. More here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/should-you-run-when-youre-sick?page=single

Not sure about getting wet in 30 degree temps. Wow. I think I'd want some kind of hat for sure.

let's talk running in the rain plans. do you change anything, wear something different or just get wet?

I'll answer my own question with a strategy: am gonna Scotchgard my shoes. It won't help if it's a torrential downpour but if it's raining/misting on and off it can help.

Hopefully the rain will hold off. If it doesn't, what happens to all of the character stops along the way?

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't planned to pack my running jacket originally but these posts made me check the weather and grab it from the closet.

Is it bad kind of knowing Florida's wacky weather that I'm hoping the weather might change again before Saturday?

Hourly forecast has slightly improved since I last checked for Saturday so I'm hopeful. Sunday looks like its going to rain no matter what. So its just a matter of when the rain comes in.

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't planned to pack my running jacket originally but these posts made me check the weather and grab it from the closet.

Is it bad kind of knowing Florida's wacky weather that I'm hoping the weather might change again before Saturday?

Hourly forecast has slightly improved since I last checked for Saturday so I'm hopeful. Sunday looks like its going to rain no matter what. So its just a matter of when the rain comes in.

if we could get the rain to start about 2 or 3 AM wouldn't that be okay? since I'm going to EPCOT Sunday afternoon it'd be nice if it could be done by then. where do we place our order? :rotfl:

Not at all! In fact, it's VERY realistic :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Running in the Rain

I do a lot of that down here in FL, so I'll share my tips...

~hat/visor with a brim will help keep rain out of eyes

~wet shoes are inevitable: be sure you have good socks that do't cause friction, as that will magnify when wet. To dry shoes after, remove insoles and stuff with newspaper. Keep replacing newspaper every few hours until it's not coming out soaked anymore. (I generally only have to replace it once or twice.)

~wicking, tech fabrics hold less water than natural fibers like cotton. Aside from reducing chances of chafing, they'll also weigh less when wet.

~bring throwaway stuff to stay dry(ish) pre-race: poncho, plastic bags over shoes, an extra shirt/jacket/sweatshirt to ward off chill, an old umbrella, etc.

~pay attention to your running surface/s! Wet traffic striping is slippery. So are speed bumps. And wooden boardwalks. And half the paths in AK. And especially grass - our grass also hold lots of water, so if it's been raining awhile, what looks like even ground may be a foot-deep puddle.

~med tents have Vaseline - which is great if you start chafing from wet clothes/shoes.

~warm, dry clothes into which to change post-race will feel wonderful!

Please forgive me if this has already been addressed but I simply have not had the time to read through all pages of this thread. I did a search and I did read through some stuff but haven't seen this addressed.

My dh, dd and ds are all running the half marathon. I'm the cheering squad. We also have another young friend who's coming with us, but he's running the 5k on Saturday morning. This is our first time doing a run at WDW. They have all done them at DLR, and they're excited about getting the Coast to Coast medals.

We bought me a ticket for the post race party, but we didn't think of getting one for our friend. Now it's sold out. Does anyone know if there's a way to get a ticket once you get there? Do people typically have extras for sale?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter