• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Wine & Dine 2014

Our airline has changed the times for our flight and I really don't see us arriving in time to get to the expo to pick up our race packet for the 5K Friday night! I am lost on what to do!

Try to contact runD to be sure, but I think there were issues with flights for one of the winter races last year (either WDW M weekend or PHM) and they had made arrangements for some delayed fliers to pick up bibs morning of race. I would email though, and let them know what has happened and they will let you know.

I'm curious, for those of you training for the full, Goofy or Dopey... how are you handling the taper for W&D and the high mileage long runs coming up for the full? I'm doing Goofy, and I'm unsure how to go into these next couple weeks. Last week I added more mileage through the week and didn't do a full 17, instead did 12 as my long. Will this be ok until after W&D and then up my longs for the rest of Nov and Dec?

Our airline has changed the times for our flight and I really don't see us arriving in time to get to the expo to pick up our race packet for the 5K Friday night! I am lost on what to do!

Do you have anyone who could pick it up for you with the absentee waiver pickup? If not, start calling RunDisney now (can be hard to get closer to showtime) to discuss the situation. For other events there have been reports of extra early morning-of packet pickup, but I don't know if that applied for smaller events like a 5k or if those accounts were factual or, if factual, if it can be counted on to continue.

Hopefully they'll be able to help! pixiedust:

I'm curious, for those of you training for the full, Goofy or Dopey... how are you handling the taper for W&D and the high mileage long runs coming up for the full?

We're treating W&D as part of the Goofy training (most fun training run!) rather than a race by itself, so there's no taper or change to our Goofy training program.

ETA: 13.1 miles for W&D will actually be a "step-back" week in our Goofy training from a then-high long run of 17.

I'm curious, for those of you training for the full, Goofy or Dopey... how are you handling the taper for W&D and the high mileage long runs coming up for the full? I'm doing Goofy, and I'm unsure how to go into these next couple weeks. Last week I added more mileage through the week and didn't do a full 17, instead did 12 as my long. Will this be ok until after W&D and then up my longs for the rest of Nov and Dec?

I've been out because of injury for the last couple of weeks (but I should be back at it soon, finally was feeling like my old self today!). But races in the middle of training for my other races are the exact reason why I have my trainer. Because I honestly don't have a clue how to handle it myself.

To answer the question in actuality. Yeah my trainer does taper me. He has a pattern of two week taper followed by a week of recovery. The recovery isn't a full off of running its just shorter runs.

This is even when I have races on the horizon. I had a taper for the Dumbo Double Dare followed by a short recovery and then moved straight into W&D/Avengers/Marathon training. He also tapered me for the W&D last year gave me a short recovery before moving forward with my Tink training. So that's what I suspect is going to happen as soon as I start actually running again (one week until I see the ortho and I get clearance, I'm am now 95 percent sure I will get clearance I just need to get it).

It depends on the goal of the race mixed into the training. If the goal of the race is a PR, then you need to taper - but then you have to build up again afterward. If the race in the middle of training is just to have fun, do not taper. Treat the race as just another long run. I try to mix races into my training - some for fun and some for pace, and I do not taper for any.

When I have multiple races with difficult to achieve goal times lined up, I leave time enough between each race to fully taper and build mileage again. I do a 3 week taper before a marathon (2 weeks for a half), and a 4 week mileage buildup afterward.

Just treating JJ5K/W&D as another training run. It sort of fits into my training plan so I'm not too worried about it. :)

So I am trying to plan the best list of stuff that I need to have available after the race (before the party), and was hoping to get some feedback from everyone..I have read a few good hints along this long thread...Any thoughts on additional items to consider? I will be by myself, so won't be able to have someone bring me anything afterwards.

Deodorant
Moist Large Towlettes
Change of Clothes
Comb/Brush
Instant Ice Pack
Protein Bar (My post run ritual)
Compression Socks (Really helps my calves recover)

Anything else?

Thanks

David

Change of shoes maybe?

In the past there has been early morning bib pick up for the 5K (still have to hit the expo for your shirt et al) but I am not sure that this will be the case. It is better to contact runDisney and see what solution(s) they offer.

Didn't taper around the W&D for Dopey training and tapering is not on the training plan for this year's Dopey training either.

So I am trying to plan the best list of stuff that I need to have available after the race (before the party), and was hoping to get some feedback from everyone..I have read a few good hints along this long thread...Any thoughts on additional items to consider? I will be by myself, so won't be able to have someone bring me anything afterwards.

Deodorant
Moist Large Towlettes
Change of Clothes
Comb/Brush
Instant Ice Pack
Protein Bar (My post run ritual)
Compression Socks (Really helps my calves recover)

Anything else?

Thanks

David

Here's a question...does anyone know if a list exists of things that we CANNOT check?

I looked through the program and just found this little blurb...champdds I was wondering about your instant ice pack because below it says no "cold or gel packs":
Please consider not bringing a bag to check on race day. All items may
be inspected. We suggest that you do not bring any unnecessary articles
with you and please do not check cold or gel packs. If you must check a
bag, you MUST use the clear bag provided to you at Packet Pick-Up. NO
EXCEPTIONS. Once you finish, your race number will be used to verify your
bag. Do not check any valuable items. The Event Staff is not responsible
for any lost, damaged, or stolen items. Do not leave any belongings
unattended, and if you see something suspicious, please say something
to race officials and security personnel.

I know there was a ban on liquids and things a couple of years ago...so I'm wondering if that is still in place and what else they want to discourage us from bringing (specifically I wanted to bring a little backpack to store some of my stuff, so that should be okay as long as it's empty and in the clear bag, right? I'm sure they'd search it). Might dig around a little bit more on runDisney.com or send them an email. :confused3

Definitely contact them. In 2013 they DID have (secret) morning bib pick-up at the 5K...if they do have that for JJ5K you'd get your bib that morning and then have to go to the expo later to get your shirt. At least this is how I understood it to work in January 2013 (I asked a lead volunteer about it while waiting in the corrals because I was curious).

They have to have SOMETHING in place for flight changes, inclement weather, etc...at least I'd hope they do. :confused3

Contact your airline. When they change times by a good amount they will work with you because they know that doesn't always work. Fort look at their site for other flights, times, and if you are in an area with multiple airport locations even different airports that would work. Pick some choices then call the airline and let them know that the new time won't work.

jeanigor-

Change of shoes maybe?

Good idea....

Here's a question...does anyone know if a list exists of things that we CANNOT check?

I looked through the program and just found this little blurb...champdds I was wondering about your instant ice pack because below it says no "cold or gel packs":
Please consider not bringing a bag to check on race day. All items may
be inspected. We suggest that you do not bring any unnecessary articles
with you and please do not check cold or gel packs. If you must check a
bag, you MUST use the clear bag provided to you at Packet Pick-Up. NO
EXCEPTIONS. Once you finish, your race number will be used to verify your
bag. Do not check any valuable items. The Event Staff is not responsible
for any lost, damaged, or stolen items. Do not leave any belongings
unattended, and if you see something suspicious, please say something
to race officials and security personnel.

I know there was a ban on liquids and things a couple of years ago...so I'm wondering if that is still in place and what else they want to discourage us from bringing (specifically I wanted to bring a little backpack to store some of my stuff, so that should be okay as long as it's empty and in the clear bag, right? I'm sure they'd search it). Might dig around a little bit more on runDisney.com or send them an email. :confused3

If that is the case...Perhaps a bring a few large ziplok bags and put ice in them....So, will ice be available to use this way?

David

If that is the case...Perhaps a bring a few large ziplok bags and put ice in them....So, will ice be available to use this way?

David
They do have bags of ice at the finish line, and in the past they have "attached" them to runners with cling wrap:
IMG_0182.JPG

(Yours truly with ice on knee after the 2011 Princess Half)

:)

I did email runDisney to ask for a list of items that are strictly prohibited. Normally I don't check a bag so I'm somewhat clueless, and haven't been able to find much info in the race weekend program. :confused3

It depends on the goal of the race mixed into the training. If the goal of the race is a PR, then you need to taper - but then you have to build up again afterward. If the race in the middle of training is just to have fun, do not taper. Treat the race as just another long run. I try to mix races into my training - some for fun and some for pace, and I do not taper for any.

When I have multiple races with difficult to achieve goal times lined up, I leave time enough between each race to fully taper and build mileage again. I do a 3 week taper before a marathon (2 weeks for a half), and a 4 week mileage buildup afterward.
Not going for a PR but I do want to run it in under 2:30 which is what I ran it in last year. It's my normal pace plus 15 mins for 2 potty breaks and pics in HS and all the mile markers.
Just treating JJ5K/W&D as another training run. It sort of fits into my training plan so I'm not too worried about it. :)
I think this is my plan, now too :thumbsup2
I've been out because of injury for the last couple of weeks (but I should be back at it soon, finally was feeling like my old self today!). But races in the middle of training for my other races are the exact reason why I have my trainer. Because I honestly don't have a clue how to handle it myself.

To answer the question in actuality. Yeah my trainer does taper me. He has a pattern of two week taper followed by a week of recovery. The recovery isn't a full off of running its just shorter runs.

This is even when I have races on the horizon. I had a taper for the Dumbo Double Dare followed by a short recovery and then moved straight into W&D/Avengers/Marathon training. He also tapered me for the W&D last year gave me a short recovery before moving forward with my Tink training. So that's what I suspect is going to happen as soon as I start actually running again (one week until I see the ortho and I get clearance, I'm am now 95 percent sure I will get clearance I just need to get it).
Hope you get that clearance! Thank you for sharing your input
Didn't taper around the W&D for Dopey training and tapering is not on the training plan for this year's Dopey training either.

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup2

Any idea how much time to allow for the kids races? Trying to see if we can make our 1230 lunch reservation

It really depends on which races the kids are participating in. Last year, they started with the youngest kids and worked their way up, finishing with the 1 mile run. There were quite a few heats for each category so it took a while. My kids ran in one of the last 400m heats and if I remember correctly we were walking out of there right around 11:30-ish. The 1-mile run was in progress at that point.

Edit: Checked the date/time on the post-race pictures... looks like my kids finished up their 400m at 10:35, and the 1-mile run started shortly after that.

I know this has been discussed before, but what is the recommended food plan for your nighttime race? Do to time constraints, I generally run petty early and have no issues; however yesterday I went out after work and thought I timed my last big meal correctly but ended up with stomach issues at about mile 6

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter