• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Wine & Dine 2014

[
what about the famous character photo ops? how many will there be, what's an average wait time for one, and most importantly, WILL I SEE TIGGER ON THE COURSE?!

Looking back through my photos and memories, the only characters that seem to be consistent are Rafiki, Jiminy Cricket and Darth Vader.

I cannot ever recall seeing Tigger on the W&D course.

what about the famous character photo ops? how many will there be, what's an average wait time for one, and most importantly, WILL I SEE TIGGER ON THE COURSE?!

Here's my list from last year...

- At the start: separate lines for Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale and Mickey
- In between the start at Mile Marker 1 (MM1): Country Bears
- In between MM2 & MM3: Hippo and Ostrich from Fantasia
- In Animal Kingdom after MM3: Rafiki
- In Animal Kingdom after MM3: Timon
- In Animal Kingdom after MM5: Pluto (in his normal M&G spot)
- After Pluto: Pirates of the Caribbean ship with pirates
- After MM5: Puppets that were used on the marathon course...including TIGGER! (Others were Genie, Sebastian and Lumiere)
WnDEdit-213.jpg

- In between MM6 and MM7: Sarge
- After MM8: Lilo and Stitch
- In Pixar Place: Buzz and Woody
- Backstage at the Studios: Mr. & Mrs. Incredible and Wreck-It Ralph (I think)
- The Osborne Lights...not a character stop but the best part of the race in my opinion!
- After the lights: Darth Vadar and Boba Fett
- At the finish line: Mickey & Minnie (CMs won't take your picture here because they want to discourage course crossing)

Keep in mind that the line-up is subject to change and none of these are guaranteed...as jeanigor said some are consistent. Personally I'm hoping for a good group of characters seeing as it's the anniversary year!

Joining the conversation. First time running a Disney half and first half marathon period. Super excited and nervous. I've gotten a lot of great info just from reading through this thread. Thank you! :yay:

Here's my list from last year... - At the start: separate lines for Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale and Mickey - In between the start at Mile Marker 1 (MM1): Country Bears - In between MM2 & MM3: Hippo and Ostrich from Fantasia - In Animal Kingdom after MM3: Rafiki - In Animal Kingdom after MM3: Timon - In Animal Kingdom after MM5: Pluto (in his normal M&G spot) - After Pluto: Pirates of the Caribbean ship with pirates - After MM5: Puppets that were used on the marathon course...including TIGGER! (Others were Genie, Sebastian and Lumiere) - In between MM6 and MM7: Sarge - After MM8: Lilo and Stitch - In Pixar Place: Buzz and Woody - Backstage at the Studios: Mr. & Mrs. Incredible and Wreck-It Ralph (I think) - The Osborne Lights...not a character stop but the best part of the race in my opinion! - After the lights: Darth Vadar and Boba Fett - At the finish line: Mickey & Minnie (CMs won't take your picture here because they want to discourage course crossing) Keep in mind that the line-up is subject to change and none of these are guaranteed...as jeanigor said some are consistent. Personally I'm hoping for a good group of characters seeing as it's the anniversary year!

Wow I really zones out on the course apparently during the non park miles. Completely didn't notice the non park character stops. Not that I was stopping.

Update on my end. Hip is doing better. Not painful just a bit sore at this point. Only annoying thing at this point is my trainer won't let me run at all until I see the orthopedist on the 29th don't know what will happen but hopefully he will give me the okay I need or at least put me on a supplemental PT regiment for it. I know it's for the best but it's still annoying. I haven't been sidelined this long since I injured my ankle back in '11.

I am planning ahead for next year... (Love how only on DISboards I would not be mocked for advanced planning ). Anyhoo is anyone staying at BCR for this year's W&D and can tell me what the rates are like?

We are heading to WDW for two weeks for Christmas this year and then hopefully to DL for the DDD in 2015 and then WDW for the W & D in 2015. Budgeting is really important.

Kinda like the butterfly effect... one wrong number and everything will be sent askew!

TIA!

Joining the conversation. First time running a Disney half and first half marathon period. Super excited and nervous. I've gotten a lot of great info just from reading through this thread. Thank you! :yay:
Great choice for your first half! :thumbsup2
Wow I really zones out on the course apparently during the non park miles. Completely didn't notice the non park character stops. Not that I was stopping.
:rotfl: I have, like, character radar when doing these races. If I see one I'll at least just try to take a picture while running by, if I don't stop for a picture with them myself. Because inevitably someone will ask what characters may be out on the course. :)
Update on my end. Hip is doing better. Not painful just a bit sore at this point. Only annoying thing at this point is my trainer won't let me run at all until I see the orthopedist on the 29th don't know what will happen but hopefully he will give me the okay I need or at least put me on a supplemental PT regiment for it. I know it's for the best but it's still annoying. I haven't been sidelined this long since I injured my ankle back in '11.
I hope the ortho gives you good news!! :hug:

Great choice for your first half! :thumbsup2

:rotfl: I have, like, character radar when doing these races. If I see one I'll at least just try to take a picture while running by, if I don't stop for a picture with them myself. Because inevitably someone will ask what characters may be out on the course. :)

I hope the ortho gives you good news!! :hug:

Normally I have a character radar on for these races. But I guess I was so focused on time during last year's race that unless it was in an obvious spot (in the park) I missed it. Not sure if I am going to get a chance to stop this year anyway. (still proceeding forward like I'm racing).

Same here. The fact I was able to dance yesterday more than last week was a sign of improvement (I was still taking it easy but it was definitely easier than last week). So its healing, its just being annoying at this point.

For fellow Goofy runners also running the W&D, what are you doing with the 20 miler planned for that Sunday? Thanks

For fellow Goofy runners also running the W&D, what are you doing with the 20 miler planned for that Sunday? Thanks

Having confidence in my ability to put the miles in over the long haul and altering the schedule to be just the half on Saturday night. I cannot see running a half, partying until 4 and then getting running 20 before hitting the parks. Sorry training has to flex and jive with my schedule.

Fozzie, Ariel, and Princess…thanks for the great info on the medical tents.

Having confidence in my ability to put the miles in over the long haul and altering the schedule to be just the half on Saturday night. I cannot see running a half, partying until 4 and then getting running 20 before hitting the parks. Sorry training has to flex and jive with my schedule.
Amen to that! :yay:

Our schedule doesn't even have us to 20 miles until the 23rd and just has 13.1 for the weekend, so we're all set for a fun training run! We're using Higdon's Intermediate II schedule with tweaks to the weekday runs based on the F.I.R.S.T. program (less miles but higher quality).

ETA: I'm surprised Galloway has 8/20 for that weekend. When we used his plan for Goofy 2013 it seemed to account for and encourage participation in other rD race weekends, W&D especially I thought.

I'm jumping in here because I plan to do W&D in 2015. I will most likely do the race no matter what, but I have 2 friends that are considering it as well. They are turned off by the cost though, so I am wondering if there is anything that I can tell them that will make it sound like the race is worth it?

Some of their concerns:
1. How much of the park is open during the party? They may not buy park tickets for the trip, so the idea of being able to have that "included" in the race is a big perk.

2. Do you only get a $10 gift card to use at the party? Is there any other food/wine related freebie?

3. There are rumors that Osbourne lights will not be up next year due to construction. That's a pretty big draw to the race, IMO.

I would not worry about it and would just run the half. In looking at the plan (I'm assuming you're doing Galloway's Experienced Runner Goofy plan?) you still have the scheduled 23- and 26-mile* runs coming up after Wine & Dine, so not doing the 8.5-/20-miler weekend and doing Wine & Dine instead won't hurt you if you pick back up after the race weekend.
I'm jumping in here because I plan to do W&D in 2015. I will most likely do the race no matter what, but I have 2 friends that are considering it as well. They are turned off by the cost though, so I am wondering if there is anything that I can tell them that will make it sound like the race is worth it?
I think whether or not these races are "worth it" is a really, really hard thing to convince someone of. I think that Disney race pricing is somewhat in line with other big races, the course support/volunteers are always excellent, and the medals and race shirts are great quality. And then there's the x-factor of running through the parks and the on-course entertainment - not sure you can put a price on that.

Wine & Dine is different, too, because the price in inflated to cover your after-party ticket and the included gift card. I think the biggest thing Wine & Dine has going for it over the other Disney half marathons is that it goes through 3 parks instead of 2 like the WDW and Princess Half Marathons.
Some of their concerns:
1. How much of the park is open during the party? They may not buy park tickets for the trip, so the idea of being able to have that "included" in the race is a big perk.
I'm not completely sure about this, but I know Soarin' was going last year. I would think Test Track, Mission: Space and Spaceship Earth would be as well.

Obviously the Food & Wine booths are open, so I'm sure the World Showcase stores are, too. I have heard the World Showcase restaurants - Table Service and Counter Service - are NOT open during the party. But Sunshine Seasons was open last year. :confused3
2. Do you only get a $10 gift card to use at the party? Is there any other food/wine related freebie?
Right at the finish line you get a beer (Bud/Bud Light) or a single serving of wine. There is a tag on your bib that is your drink voucher. You also get Powerade, bananas, the runDisney snackbox, etc. And the $10 gift card comes in your packet at bib pick-up.
3. There are rumors that Osbourne lights will not be up next year due to construction. That's a pretty big draw to the race, IMO.
I wouldn't count on them being a part of the course next year...especially with ToT not happening in 2015. :confused3

*A 23- and 26-miler?! Holy crap! (Higdon runner here) :)

Some of their concerns:

1) The past couple of years it has been pretty much every attraction open, except Universe of Energy.

2) The $10 gift card has no limitations on when or where or what you can use it on. Anyplace that accepts Disney gift cards will happily take the card.

3)Time will tell about the Lights. I know they have been a great pick me up at that point in the race.

I, too, am in planning mode more for 2015 than this year.
My AP will be expired and I don't think I can reasonably justify renewing it at this point.
I'll have at least one person in tow as a spectator (maybe a 5K participant?) and following up race weekend with a sailing on the Dream with a bunch of friends.

I'm trying to decide if I can get my park fix during the after party or if I need to break down and budget in park admission.

So I am trying to plan the best list of stuff that I need to have available after the race (before the party), and was hoping to get some feedback from everyone..I have read a few good hints along this long thread...Any thoughts on additional items to consider? I will be by myself, so won't be able to have someone bring me anything afterwards.

Deodorant
Moist Large Towlettes
Change of Clothes
Comb/Brush
Instant Ice Pack
Protein Bar (My post run ritual)
Compression Socks (Really helps my calves recover)

Anything else?

Thanks

David

Our airline has changed the times for our flight and I really don't see us arriving in time to get to the expo to pick up our race packet for the 5K Friday night! I am lost on what to do!

Deodorant
Moist Large Towlettes
Change of Clothes
Comb/Brush
Instant Ice Pack
Protein Bar (My post run ritual)
Compression Socks (Really helps my calves recover)

Anything else?

Everyone has different needs for comfort or recovery, but we typically only have a way to pay for anything post race (CC in past, Magicband going forward). We just cool down and enjoy the party for the finish. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter