• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

That's a tough one. On the surface it sounds like a good transitional plan. But then when everyone asks for one because it's what they are comfortable with right now they run out and you can imagine the trashing that they would get when "Disney didn't even print enough guides for the race" gets blasted all over everywhere? I don't have a good alternate solution for the transition, but I can see why it made sense to go digital and why they chose to "rip the band aid" off instead of going halfway with the idea.

Honestly, I would be okay with a digital event guide if they made it in a format that *I* can print out and bring with me. I've had pdf event guides for other races, and it was not a big deal. Anyone who wanted a printed version could print it themselves. I just found this particular guide difficult to navigate and find the information I needed quickly.

Anyone want to comment on their experience running solo?

I only ran the 10k and ran it solo. I wasn't sure what to expect because it was my first RD race. I talked to a very nice lady on the bus and hung out with her and a couple of her friends before the race, talked to a few people in the corral and in line for character pics, got to run at my own pace, and then had a nice person next to me on the bus ride back to the hotel. Overall it was great and I wouldn't hesitate to do another one solo now. Over all I don't have any complaints about my trip or the experience.

Woke up and my knee didn't give out so that's a plus. It feels about 50% normal. I'm wondering if it's a virus of sorts so it can just see it's way out now. Today was planned off day and I'll see in the morning how it is to hopefully get in a run otherwise I have just Monday to run before leaving.

Hope everyone's last runs go well. Nothing crazy now! So close!

My Outfits are: If you see my say HI!!!
5k - Disney Christmas comics on a white tank and red skort with mickey Christmas hair clip
10k - purple eggplant man from Kitchen Kabaret, says Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit on back
Half - Tapestry of Nations (old parade at EPCOT for the millennium celebration. Teal tank & grey/white skort & blue/orange/yellow hair clip

Did you have a compression sock thing on your right leg? And arm sleeves for the 10K but not the 1/2?

I'll share my thoughts, too. This is only my second RunDisney race weekend, the first being last year's "half of a half Wine & Dine".

• Weather this year was much better. Still on the warm side for me, since I have lost all of my "heat and humidity" adaptations that I gained over the summer, but definitely bearable.
  • I thought the Expo was better organized. We were in and out of bib/merchandise pickup in about half an hour. Maybe because we waited until Friday the crowds were thinner.
  • I still don't understand the rationale for distributing gift cards and party tickets through mail/email. I never did receive my party ticket, so we had to go to the Expo welcome center to get it reissued. They didn't give us any trouble about it (although the woman who checked us in kept saying I was "on her list"--not sure what that meant) but it was a pain to do. And then the whole having to get a wristband at Epcot. Wouldn't it have just been easier to simply provide the wristbands at bib pick up?
  • Staying at BWI, race and expo transportation was a bit of an issue. Coming back from the expo, we had to wait about half an hour for a bus, and they even called over one of the floater buses to take us back to the resort because apparently they couldn't locate the assigned bus? Buses for the 10k arrived late and were already mostly full as others have stated, but we were in line early enough to make it with plenty of time to spare. By half marathon day, they seem to have gotten it worked out.
  • As I expected, I much prefer a morning race to an evening one. The only issue I had was finding adequate breakfast food. My go-to pre-race food is a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. I made do with a Cliff bar that I had brought from home for the 10k, and bought a bagel Saturday morning to eat before the half. Wasn't able to find any bananas at BWI, and I think that contributed to some tummy distress during the half. I don't feel that it would be asking too much for the resorts to provide a table in the lobby on race mornings with some grab-and-go items.
  • I really liked the 10k course. I ran it much too fast for what was supposed to be an "easy" run, and paid for that mistake during the half. I felt great the entire race, and really got a boost when we entered Epcot.
  • The half was a struggle for me. I nearly missed getting into my corral due to waiting in the porta pottie line, my foot hurt the entire 13.1 miles, and I had to stop at porta potties twice on course. Running through Animal Kingdom was really fun, but I thought they needed a lot more entertainment on the long stretch of road between AK and EP.
  • I could have probably skipped the post race party. I had a better time than last year, since we were able to get cleaned up and take a rest in between, but my feet were just way too sore and tired for it to be truly enjoyable. The line for Frozen was too long for us to bother waiting, and that was really the only ride I had hoped to get on. The only characters we noticed were World Showcase "regulars", so I didn't feel the need to wait in long lines for pictures with them. I also wish that the stores around World Showcase and the movies would be open during the party--as it is, you kind of just wander around eating and drinking. If I do Wine & Dine again, I'll probably just skip the party and have a nice dinner somewhere.
  • Overall, I think I will check out a different race weekend for my next RunDisney event. I get the feeling that Wine & Dine doesn't get as much love from RunDisney, and I think that shows in things like lack of on course characters, misspellings on merchandise, lack of communication prior to the event, etc. I also want to come back to Disney for Food and Wine when I'm not running a race so that I can fully enjoy the festival!

I only ran the 10k and ran it solo. I wasn't sure what to expect because it was my first RD race. I talked to a very nice lady on the bus and hung out with her and a couple of her friends before the race, talked to a few people in the corral and in line for character pics, got to run at my own pace, and then had a nice person next to me on the bus ride back to the hotel. Overall it was great and I wouldn't hesitate to do another one solo now. Over all I don't have any complaints about my trip or the experience.
The above quote pretty much sums up my Solo experience. Although I did work this Summer as a 1/2 marathon Instructor, and therefore constantly ran as a group, my preferance is always to RACE solo. I found that the time flew by, on course, I especially enjoyed the 10K circuit of Epcot, and AK for during the 1/2. I am not that shy, so I did not feel awkward striking up a conversation with others in line for early character shots before the corrals opened, or on the return bus trip. For what it's worth, I also went to the parks the 3 days I was there Solo too, and loved the flexibility of riding only what I wanted, eating what and when I felt like it, and taking a nap if the occasion warranted. Overall it was a fantastic Solo experience!!

I ran the 10k solo, and all of my runDisney races next year will be solo. I have two young kids and honestly, I like having the time to myself! I like pacing myself, having some time to think, just enjoying being on my own - it's a rarity!

I do all my runs solo (except for the Paris 5k, which my mom joined me for), and I like it. I'll do training runs with friends, but it's hard because we're never at the exact same pace or someone wants to take a different walk break, etc. At Disney, I can stop for the pictures I want, skip the ones I already have, and go at my own speed.

I also generally do the whole Disney trips solo. I can do the rides, eat, leave whenever I want. There are definitely times when I wish there was another person to go with, but I don't have any friends that are interested in these trips. I would say it's fine 97% of the time.

I run solo all the time, so it was nothing new. It was my first Rundisney half, and with 10,000 others on the course, I certainly did not feel like I was running solo. A 10-mile training run at 6:00 AM on a Saturday is the definition of alone. With all of the runners around me encouraging their friends/running partners/etc, I thought there was plenty of that to go around, even if I didn't know any of them. I can certainly see the benefit of having a partner, as I watched one of the girls on the Homes for our Troops team really working hard to keep one of her teammates going on those 3 highway ramps to get her to Epcot. It was a pretty cool thing to watch.

Did you have a compression sock thing on your right leg? And arm sleeves for the 10K but not the 1/2?
Yes! Pink arm sleeves and purple leg sleeve in the 10k & Black leg sleeve in the half!

I enjoyed the race weekend! Personally like morning running so glad they changed it from night.

5k - Loved all of this. Got to see my 6 yr old nephew finish his first 5k and my 10 yr old niece finish her 2nd. They had so much fun. I started in A and they were in D and started only 15 min behind us, so 5 min between corrals. Santa Goofy & Christmas Donald in Dinoland was one of my favorites & Pluto's stop was so cute too. Stopped for all characters & a tree pic, waits weren't bad but I was in A so that helps. Could feel the humidity but temp wise was great to me. Started off feeling a little odd in my right thigh, but made it through without really feeling it but then the rest the day it felt weird (tendon maybe). We waited 50 minutes after we all finished for holiday Mickey & Minnie and barely got in at 8:28 with them cutting the line at 8:30..phew!

10k - Woke up with the weird leg pain (not muscle), but amazingly it went away after about 1.5/2 miles, stopped for 3 stops and made it in right under an hour so was very happy. Enjoy this course. Leg pain was gone....still wonder if it was the cold/bug I had/have. It was such a weird pain. Waited for Lumiere right after but skipped rats as that line was long. Got chef mickey & Minnie and regular Donald & Goofy (did they forget the chef gear??). Weather was fine for me again, humidity I felt again but Nebraska was lacking in humidity leading up. Saw a lady wipe out, hope she was okay, she got right back up and headed out! and nice talking to you @Ariel484 & you her husband (portapot waiting run in, ha) !

Half - Woke up with no weird pains. Had a few gut issues so had to make a pit stop in AK for a bathroom (and stared at the sink for water to come out for awhile, which seemed to be the trend at sinks in the parks). The line for portapots before were long but we lined up like at 4:45 am and then were in corrals around 5:10ish and we all made it to our respected corrals, A for one brother, B for other brother & me in D. Started off a little slower paced then wanted as was in back of corral but once around ESPN sign it spread out and was fine. I was running for time, but stopped for 3 picture stops & the AK bathroom stop. Amber alert on my phone scared me. Finished 2:01ish and am very happy, just normal running pain and my stomach felt sick but that happens when I try to run faster. I loved the course, I know some got bored but to me it was fine. Lots of entertainment to me. I liked the horticulture area and the jumbotrons they put up and marching bands. I only had one rude person yell at me to move at a water stop, I had grabbed my cup and I guess she didn't like that I did that, not sure what here deal was. Got the rats after with my brothers and chef Donald and goofy. To me weather was fine.

Buses - from All-Star Sports were great, never waited.

Photopass - Love the pictures, but missing my Lumiere & medal backdrop from the 10k. I sent the form on the site so waiting to see if they find them.

Characters at finish area - we didn't do them before cause lines were long, but got them all done between the days. Lines seemed to move fast after except the 5k holiday Mickey & Minnie, that line was slooooow.

Expo - got there at 5:30ishpm and it wasn't crowded. Like many, will have to wait for the 10k pin to be mailed since preordered them. Got a magnet for the weekend & a Lumieres headband. The kiwi was tasty and that buffer massage thing was amazing.

Gear bag - my brother checked a bag for each and it was easy, the just wrote a number on a sticker for it. No big deal not having a number before hand.

Shirts & medals - love them all.

Event guide - I printed stuff out before going and at the expo grabbed the after party guide & race times guide. It was fine not having the huge booklit I suppose but I do miss it as a souvenier.

After Party - got to EPCOT before 9 and did Soarin and something else, saw Illumintations. The wristband spot in Future world had a very loooong line so we got them in UK and line was short, just after Illuminations. Did some medal pictures then lined up for Gepetto/Pinocchio. Well us and like 20+ others were waiting with the photospass person and no characters yet...oh we were all in the wrong spot...so finally photopass person led us to where they were and now we were all in the back of the line. oh well. Did Test Track and a snack in Norway and left. The DJ music wasn't for me like others said would rather have country music and keep DJ music to the stage DJ area in Future world and we were pooped as had done MK after the race (no naps). Kiosks had lines at the back like in Germany but near the front were empty. We left at 11:30. Frozen said 60 at like 11 so we skipped it.

Overall - Loved this weekend! I was with people but we ran solo. I enjoy running solo so I can set pace and if I stop. I'm pretty easy to please I suppose but I didn't feel the weekend lacked anything compared to others.

Last edited:
Anyone also buy the royal blue with dark blue short sleeve half marathon shirt? I bought a size large and was really looking at my shirts last night and it is small. Says a large but shorter than any other shirt I've got with me by over an inch. Likely returning it today if I can.
Fits like it's child sized or something

Funny you say that, I did get one....for my child. :) He is 9 and not a huge kid at all...I got him a size small, and while it is definitely big on him its not as big as you'd think an adult sized shirt would be!

I run solo all the time, so it was nothing new. It was my first Rundisney half, and with 10,000 others on the course, I certainly did not feel like I was running solo. A 10-mile training run at 6:00 AM on a Saturday is the definition of alone. With all of the runners around me encouraging their friends/running partners/etc, I thought there was plenty of that to go around, even if I didn't know any of them. I can certainly see the benefit of having a partner, as I watched one of the girls on the Homes for our Troops team really working hard to keep one of her teammates going on those 3 highway ramps to get her to Epcot. It was a pretty cool thing to watch.
I think I might have seen this too. I recall clapping for her and saying "you're almost there.....nice job!"

Question on the half medal - the things falling off of Mickey's platter... The top is obviously cheese, the bottom - grapes. But, we cannot figure out exactly what is in the middle.

Question on the half medal - the things falling off of Mickey's platter... The top is obviously cheese, the bottom - grapes. But, we cannot figure out exactly what is in the middle.

I think they are foot prints. They are the three icons/images/shapes that have appeared on pretty much all of the medals (have to verify this wehn I get home). They don't really fit in with falling off the platter though.....

I think it's this pair of shoes + wine glass:
2010+Wine+_amp_+Dine+Inaugural+Logo.jpg

Yes! Pink arm sleeves and purple leg sleeve in the 10k & Black leg sleeve in the half!

Too funny! I was behind you at one point during both. :) I noticed the first shirt and remembered someone here mentioned that. I'm sorry I couldn't remember who. Then when I saw Tapestry, I thought the same thing...then I realized I think it's the same person, LOL! We must have been close for most of the 1/2 as I started in D too and finished in 2:03 (I also stopped in AK). :)

:sad:

I wouldn't have been creeped out, FTR. :)

It like seeing a celebrity....you know who they are, but they don't know you. It seems intrusive. I'm not a shy person in the least, but I worry what the other person may think. Next time I'll introduce myself for sure!! :)

I ran the half solo. It was great! I was able to really focus on the run, enjoy the surroundings, and came out with a big PR. Running with a friend is fun, but all the training runs are solo, so it's no big deal. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter