• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. DW and I have been up since 4, as we try to get our heads around all this. Right now, we figure we'll take it slow in the parks, and enjoy all that Imagineering has put into them. If we don't get in as many rides and attractions, then so be it. DW is coming to grips with the fact that running would be a bad idea. Saturday plan now: since we're staying at the Boardwalk, she'll find a place to sit and watch the 10k go by. If you see a petite woman with long brown hair and a boot on her left foot, swing over and give her a high five. We may ask at the Expo if she can do any volunteer work on Sunday, or where she could sit and watch the race.
Mom needs to be moved from home to a special hospice care center. Dad tours it today; she is to move tomorrow.

I'm sorry for interjecting all this so close to the weekend everyone has been working so hard for. This is our community, and we hope that everyone's troubles and pains melt away, and that everybody gets to have a magical race and experience.

We plan to be at the Expo tomorrow. Look for "boot woman" at 5'3" with a skinny guy 6' who has a goatee.

@PaDisneyCouple please do not apologize! :hug: I admire you and your wife for keeping a good attitude and hope you guys have a fun weekend. I'll be ready with high fives if I see you!

What a day. DW was diagnosed with a stress fracture in her left foot today. Obviously, this impacts her Lumiere's Challenge plans. We are still trying to wrap our heads around it, as she thunks around the house in her boot. We've already been working on making room requests for a location close to elevators.

But that's not all: Mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer back in July. She found out that it wasn't responding to the chemo in mid-September. Things have been getting steadily worse over the last month, and don't look good right now.

I don't know what else to say at this point. We are continuing as planned, and hope to meet many of you in the coming days. Mom told me in early October that she was afraid she'd "mess up" our plans. I told her it would be all right. I plan to try to run strong for both of the women in my life at this point.

Praying for you and your family.

Does anyone have any insights as to when the virtual queue is going to open up for the New Balance shoes? When I checked http://www.nbvirtualqueue.com/ this morning it still has the info up for the Disneyland Half.

Thanks in advance!
This may be me not doing my research, but have we heard anything about them even doing this for Wine & Dine?

For Tink I think it was supposed to open 7PM EST the day before day 1 of the expo and didn't until more like midnight, so if it opens I wouldn't expect an update until later today.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. DW and I have been up since 4, as we try to get our heads around all this. Right now, we figure we'll take it slow in the parks, and enjoy all that Imagineering has put into them. If we don't get in as many rides and attractions, then so be it. DW is coming to grips with the fact that running would be a bad idea. Saturday plan now: since we're staying at the Boardwalk, she'll find a place to sit and watch the 10k go by. If you see a petite woman with long brown hair and a boot on her left foot, swing over and give her a high five. We may ask at the Expo if she can do any volunteer work on Sunday, or where she could sit and watch the race.
Mom needs to be moved from home to a special hospice care center. Dad tours it today; she is to move tomorrow.

I'm sorry for interjecting all this so close to the weekend everyone has been working so hard for. This is our community, and we hope that everyone's troubles and pains melt away, and that everybody gets to have a magical race and experience.

We plan to be at the Expo tomorrow. Look for "boot woman" at 5'3" with a skinny guy 6' who has a goatee.

So sorry -- sending you and your family a TON of :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes.

A question for anyone who ever DRIVES to one of the races...

We have a 9:15am "What's Cooking With..." on Fri after the 5K, so thinking our best bet would be to drive, bring a change of clothes in the car, then drive from AK to Epcot and change there and make a beeline to the festival center.

Does this seem like it could work? Should we plan on getting there VERY early to be able to park?? They say parking is "limited"... do they really turn people away??

I can't wait to see you both at the Expo tomorrow and give you each a big hug!!

We have a 9:15am "What's Cooking With..." on Fri after the 5K, so thinking our best bet would be to drive, bring a change of clothes in the car, then drive from AK to Epcot and change there and make a beeline to the festival center.

Does this seem like it could work? Should we plan on getting there VERY early to be able to park?? They say parking is "limited"... do they really turn people away??

I drove last year and got to the parking lot at 5:30 a.m. for a 6 a.m. start time. We were done with the race, waited for Mickey and Minnie in the parking lot after we finished, changed in the car and were WAY early for our 8:40 a.m. reservation at Boma - I'm talking like AN HOUR early.

I can't remember what the sections of the parking lot you park in are - but they're the normal ones ... Dinosaur, maybe? The ones on the opposite side of the tram line, closer to the parking entrance. The parking lot the race starts in is right next to the park, but furthest from the park entrance ... if that makes any sense.

Anyway. No. They won't turn you away. You probably will have time to actually go to the hotel and change if you want because there really isn't a whole lot to do post-5K other than the one character meet, if they're even out.

(edit) I responded too fast before noticing you were talking about the 5K and not the half.

This has perhaps been covered, but I am curious about everyone's alarm setting strategy for Saturday night. Given the time change, and our smartphone's change along with it, I am thinking about setting my phone for 3:01am. That way it cycles through the time change and we don't get awoken too early. If our plan is to be on the bus at 4:00am, if we set it for 2:30, it will go off an hour earlier than we would want (2.5 hours before departure time). So, I'd rather have a little less time and more sleep.

I'll chime in with @Keels and say that getting out of the 5Ks has always been a breeze for me - you should have plenty of time! And there's PLENTY of parking to be had - no worries there. I prefer to leave pretty early, though, just to avoid sitting in traffic waiting to park. Nothing stresses me more than that, so I avoid it if I can.

This has perhaps been covered, but I am curious about everyone's alarm setting strategy for Saturday night. Given the time change, and our smartphone's change along with it, I am thinking about setting my phone for 3:01am. That way it cycles through the time change and we don't get awoken too early. If our plan is to be on the bus at 4:00am, if we set it for 2:30, it will go off an hour earlier than we would want (2.5 hours before departure time). So, I'd rather have a little less time and more sleep.
Theoretically, your phone will change at 2am, so setting it for 2:30 won't make a difference. That said, they don't always do it exactly at 2am, so no guarantee. I'm switching my phone to Manual and changing the time before bed so it won't automatically change on its own - I set my alarm for 1:50am, so it would get all screwed up if I let the time change happen on its own.

Theoretically, your phone will change at 2am, so setting it for 2:30 won't make a difference. That said, they don't always do it exactly at 2am, so no guarantee. I'm switching my phone to Manual and changing the time before bed so it won't automatically change on its own - I set my alarm for 1:50am, so it would get all screwed up if I let the time change happen on its own.

You are correct. My bad, I thought the time change was at 3am, not 2am. So, now of course I am going to randomly wake up at 1:30am and check my phone and wonder "is this the first 1:30, or the second?". ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter