• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

Still trying to survive summer here in FL. Did my first back-to-back with a long run this past weekend (2 Sat, 9 Sun) and didn't want to die, so it's coming along, lol! 2 more months of oppressive heat to go...

Did the same ... Here in Louisiana, we have the same heat as y'all do! And it's not very nice. I do appreciate that little temp drop right as the sun comes up though ... if only for a few minutes!!

Brian

I have a question and I kind of unique situation. I am a pretty OK runner, always have been, and with minimal training. My average half time is usually between 1:38-1:40. I also work as a professional travel blogger. for the past 2 years I have been traveling and working in South America. I am also Canadian and so we don't have winter time races and I usually arrive back here end of July and August. Because of this I haven't ran a proper race since 2013. During my training runs I run a 5km in about 21 minutes and a 10km in about 45min. Last year I ran the half a half. I was frustrated with the situation so I decided to take as many pics as possible. In the end I ran it in 56mins for the 6.7 km (which they are counting as a 10km). I don't know what to do. Should I have submitted my 2013 time as 2014 and hope they don't check and they would use my 1.40 as a grouping? which is my estimated time of finishing. or is honesty the best policy and I suck up a slow time.and hope for the best? For someone who is estimating a finish time in the 1.30's it can be incredibly frustrating to be misplaced in a corral. If they did check and see my time was from 2013 and put me in the last corral id be so devo. opinions anyone?
First of all, based on those times you say you're just an "OK" runner?!? I'd do anything to have those times! But to answer your question, I would be honest and just submit the slower time. It's better to submit something that's slower but within the guidelines than to submit the faster time and like you said get placed in the last corral if they check it and see the date. Your time from the shortened race last year is still going to get you a decent corral, and I don't even know how much further up the other would put you. Not worth risking it in my opinion.

I have a question and I kind of unique situation. I am a pretty OK runner, always have been, and with minimal training. My average half time is usually between 1:38-1:40. I also work as a professional travel blogger. for the past 2 years I have been traveling and working in South America. I am also Canadian and so we don't have winter time races and I usually arrive back here end of July and August. Because of this I haven't ran a proper race since 2013. During my training runs I run a 5km in about 21 minutes and a 10km in about 45min. Last year I ran the half a half. I was frustrated with the situation so I decided to take as many pics as possible. In the end I ran it in 56mins for the 6.7 km (which they are counting as a 10km). I don't know what to do. Should I have submitted my 2013 time as 2014 and hope they don't check and they would use my 1.40 as a grouping? which is my estimated time of finishing. or is honesty the best policy and I suck up a slow time.and hope for the best? For someone who is estimating a finish time in the 1.30's it can be incredibly frustrating to be misplaced in a corral. If they did check and see my time was from 2013 and put me in the last corral id be so devo. opinions anyone?
For the Wine and Dine 2015 (half of the half), I submitted a 10k time of 51 minutes and was placed in corral B. If you decide to use your time from last year I would think you would still be in a pretty good corral, maybe corral B or C depending on how many people there are with similar times.

For the Wine and Dine 2015 (half of the half), I submitted a 10k time of 51 minutes and was placed in corral B. If you decide to use your time from last year I would think you would still be in a pretty good corral, maybe corral B or C depending on how many people there are with similar times.

Bah that sounds terrifying... Its both frustrating and dangerous because if I am in C... I will be running with people who run a 10km more than 10 minutes slower than myself...and a half with people who could run potentially 30 minutes slower than myself which means I will be pushing through crowds, cutting people off and having a way less good time. due to the pace.

Bah that sounds terrifying... Its both frustrating and dangerous because if I am in C... I will be running with people who run a 10km more than 10 minutes slower than myself...and a half with people who could run potentially 30 minutes slower than myself which means I will be pushing through crowds, cutting people off and having a way less good time. due to the pace.
Please don't take any of this the wrong way, but I don't think it will be as bad as you make it sound. Even in B, you could get some people running slower because it's Disney and they're not going for their best time. I'd just stick to the policy and submit a valid time within the required dates. Who knows what will happen. Being in C won't be the end of the world, just try to get close to the front of the corral. It's better than ending up in the back, where it will be a lot more crowded and people will be a whole lot slower than you.

LOL... I've got all the advice I need thank you thats all good

Last edited:

I know it will probably still be warm and humid, because it's Florida, but cooler than last year would be really nice.
Yes! Even by my liberal Floridian standards, last year was fairly miserable. The heat just would not relent last year! I didn't get a cool day for a long run until mid-December... blech!

do you guys think they actually verify the times?
Yes and no... no way are they verifying every PoT submitted: they don't have the staff to do it. But they do spot-check, and I'd be willing to bet they check a good number of the A and B corral times. I would simply enter a correct estimated finish time and submit the PoT you have, even if it doesn't match exactly. At least it's something!

Why would they ask for proof if they didn't verify some of them.

Like others have said, line up at the front of the corral you are placed in. Then remember you're running at Disney for fun.
There's always a bit of weaving and avoiding in any run I've done.

7 miles last Saturday for DW. I was feeling very ill, and stayed home. Much better on Sunday, so I headed out and got to 12 miles. I lucked into a group of runners who were 12 miles into their 16 mile run. They were at a great pace for the heat and humidity, and very welcoming. Packing the first couple of miles prior to them heading back to their cars put me on a good slower pace for the conditions. I felt remarkably good that evening and Monday. I think it was because I kept my pace down. Longest run for me since prior to 2015 Half-a-half W&D.

Yes and no... no way are they verifying every PoT submitted: they don't have the staff to do it. But they do spot-check, and I'd be willing to bet they check a good number of the A and B corral times. I would simply enter a correct estimated finish time and submit the PoT you have, even if it doesn't match exactly. At least it's something!
I agree with this.

Why would they ask for proof if they didn't verify some of them.

Like others have said, line up at the front of the corral you are placed in. Then remember you're running at Disney for fun.
There's always a bit of weaving and avoiding in any run I've done.
^^^^^:thumbsup2

Yes! Even by my liberal Floridian standards, last year was fairly miserable. The heat just would not relent last year! I didn't get a cool day for a long run until mid-December... blech!

I agree, even as someone who lived in FL (we sadly just moved to the northeast) last year was pretty miserable all around. I could not believe how unbelievably hot it was!

I checked last night and I'm really glad I did because the date of my POT race was 1915, not 2015. :scared:

:rotfl2:

Yikes! Good thing you checked! I need to go in and screenshot mine! And I guess I'd better check the year! LOL!

Yes, I'm sure they check some & honestly hopefully no one encourages someone to 'lie' about their proof of time. Be honest and put what you have, it's not like you are a car and will lose control of yourself if by slower people?!?!

I checked last night and I'm really glad I did because the date of my POT race was 1915, not 2015. :scared:

Oh my, good thing you checked! I've checked mine a few times so hope it checks out A-Ok, mine is a RunDisney event (Disneyland half)so they shouldn't have issues with it cause if they did that would be ironically sad & funny.

haha, omg. That's quite an old race!

Yes, I'm sure they check some & honestly hopefully no one encourages someone to 'lie' about their proof of time. Be honest and put what you have, it's not like you are a car and will lose control of yourself if by slower people?!?!
:thumbsup2 this. If you're waiting for someone to tell you to submit the time from 2013, I don't think you're going to get the answer you want. Please just be honest and submit the valid time you have. It is what it is, and just make the best of it. You're going to be at Disney - just have fun! In a perfect world, I would have had a half marathon time to submit for this race, but the day of my event, it was brutally hot, so my time was slower than I hoped and to make matters worse, official timing stopped before I finished. So I did not end up with a time and have nothing to submit from that race. So I have to use a 10K time from last September. I'm just going with it and know that no matter how crowded it may be or where I'm placed, I'm going to do my best to enjoy every second of the race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter