Official Wii/DS Q/A thread. FAQ in first post! Game reviews in second post!

The only word of advice I have for anyone (over the age of 25) before they play is makes sure you have enough Tylenol in the house because you are going to need it! I have muscles in my arms and back that are so sore that I never even knew I had before!!!

Hope everyone else is enjoying their Wiis!!! :) The Wii was by far the best gift in our house

I have to agree, I am really hurting today! My right side is killing me and I found muscles I forgot I had (I blame it on the bowling and golf!). But we have had so much fun doing this together! DD is pretty competive so it gets quite loud in our house when we are playing. I have dibs on the last 2 Tylanol PM that are in my medicine cabinet! :rolleyes1

I have to agree, I am really hurting today! My right side is killing me and I found muscles I forgot I had (I blame it on the bowling and golf!). But we have had so much fun doing this together! DD is pretty competive so it gets quite loud in our house when we are playing. I have dibs on the last 2 Tylanol PM that are in my medicine cabinet! :rolleyes1

I'm am so grateful that CVS constatnly runs Excedrin deals! I have a medicine cabinet full of Excedrin Migraine that is coming in sooooooo handy right now!!! Those sports games are a real workout! DH and I did the boxing and that was by far the best workout I have had in a long time!!!

We've been having problems with one remote - it just doesn't seem to work. I've changed batteries, synced it several times, but it's not reading, I guess. The blue lights come on but that's it.

My other problem is that everytime we go back to the menu, the whole thing locks up. I turn the console off & on, then we're fine. But I can't change games or anything without rebooting. (I'm probably totally using the wrong language here ;) )

Did you try doing the main synch so that it will never have to be done again? try this for the wiimote..instructions are in the booklet that comes with the system.

The lock up problem....that unfortunately does not sound normal. My suggestion is to call Nintendo's 1-800 number...it may be somethign simple or it may be a bad doard which would sadly mean you have to send your wii to them to fix. :(

Good Luck , and let us know what happens...

Just wanted to say a quick "thank you" to those who responded to my posts a few weeks ago looking for advice. I went w/Resident Evil for DH. He seemed pleased...hasn't got to play it yet, even though the Wii was HIS present. My kids ADORE it. I needn't have bothered getting them anything else. Wii Sports and Wii Play were big hits at the in-laws' house yesterday. DD11 got Harry Potter and DD8 got Disney Princess. My only complaint is that it looks like DD8 may complete the game today and she really hasn't played all that long. All in all it was money well spent.

Saddly this is the problem with Most Liscensed games...Often times Games with cartoon characters are simply games that are rushed out to make fans of the characters happy....My suggestion would be that once she finishes it(if she says she will not play it again) is to take it and sell it on e-bay, or to a fellow disser who is looking for the game for a child. You'll make more then you'd get by taking it to gamestop, and in turn you can use that money to buy her a new game.

BTW was it RE4 or Re:umbrella Cronicles? I personally love them both...just wondering which one.

As for our household, the Wii has been a HUGE hit! Santa (DH & I) actually played it for about an hour and a half on Christmas Eve. It was played pretty much non-stop from about 10am till midnight yesterday. Here is the run down of our games

Super Mario Galaxy - LOVE IT! (although it can make you a tad dizzy at times) Glad DS#1 got the guide for this for Christmas. We got the Collector's edition. It is very nice & really helpful so far.

Carnival Games - The whole family loves it. We will have a lot of fun playing this one as a group.

Thrillville off the Rails - DS#1's favorite. Everyone likes it as well. Really fun if you like minigames and amusement parks.

WarioWare Smooth Mooves - I LOVE this game. Super fun but I wish there was a way to go over the little mini movies faster.

Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 - DS#2's favorite.

Madden 08 - DH likes it but says he has to get better with the nunchuck

The other games received but not played yet are:
Star Wars - Complete Saga
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics
MLB Power Pros
Nicktoons Attack of the Toybots
Wii Play

I'm glad DH talked me into having 4 remotes. Although they won't be used all the time we have the ability to all play at once if we want. Glad we have a second nunchuck but I don't think we will need more than 2 of those.

Our Nyko charger works great except when we opened it one fo the metal contacts was broken off the second dock. I have to call the company today to see what can be done about that.

The only word of advice I have for anyone (over the age of 25) before they play is makes sure you have enough Tylenol in the house because you are going to need it! I have muscles in my arms and back that are so sore that I never even knew I had before!!!

Hope everyone else is enjoying their Wiis!!! :) The Wii was by far the best gift in our house (the Brownies loss to the Bungals came in a close second :teeth: )

Since those of us in Cleveland have more class then you (in pittsburgh)I will ignore the jab at my Browns and kindly talk to you...

1) You are right you probably will not need more then 2 nunchucks.
2)I'm not surprised that a steelers fan would have a hard time with madden...He may need backyard football...it's probably more on his level! :p
3) Thanks for the scores from your kids about the games

Here's hopeing the colts somehow beat the titans so we can face you one more time in the playoffs and this time beat you dashing your Superbowl hopes!

Have a great day!

Hi everyone

So we opened the Wii last night and played all the sports games. DD(9) loves the bowling and tennis.
DH and DD have been playing today and he called me and said he mastered tennis and bowling. I mastered bowling last night rolling strike after strike.

We got DD Sims Pets but I think we might get bored and this thing will be put away after a few months and never used again. Any ideas to prevent that from happening?

Do you mean you think Dd might get bored of the Sims??? or do you mean bored of the system???

If you mean game then sadly there is no way around it most games will get old after about a month and there's no going back..the only cure is to keep your eye out for new games every few months that might interest her.

As for if you mean the Wii in general. It's all about finding the games you like. I've had mine since launch day and it gets played every few days(at the least) many times it gets played multiple times in one day for hours on end. If you find games you like look for more in that style. it also helps to get into some of the more indepth games like zelda or mario galaxy which can take 40+hours of play time to complete. Spread out over tiem it's not unheard of for a game like this to take certain people a couple of months to beat! (or if your like me a nice long weekend-but thats another story.)

Let me know what you mean by your quote and i can give you a better answer then this.

I'm curious as to why you think this? Disney actually put out a game for Walt Disney World on the Playstation platform a few years ago. It is a racing game that DS#1 loves. He can race through the different parks/rides. I would love to see them put out something else!

Lets see if I can sum this up...
first the name of the game was...Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour(it was on the psone)
1) Disney only makes games for what they believe there is money in. Sadly most of the time this is only through movie properties, or characters. IN terms of business why would I make a game in the magic kingdom with all my characters when I can make one game per attraction(haunted mantion, Pirates, ect.) and get disney freaks to buy multiple games at $50.00 a pop instead of one at $50?
2) The game you speak of was a "Mario Kart-rip off". It stole the style of the Mario Kart games and simply used disney characters and locals in place of nintendo characters. Now I'm not trying to say it's a bad game in any way, but truthfully it was not done nearly as well as the inventor of the style..and thus Sales reflected the fact. Since it has also been almost 8years since this games launch I would not expect to see a new version of it anytime soon.
3) For the most part the Sims style games have now run their course and the industry is starting to see a backlash of making games in this style.(the last disney coaster game sold horrible, and Ea's sims is seeing sales steadly decline--which is why they are trying new styles ala MYSims to get players back.) So as much fun as it would be to have a VMK/sims style game on the wii, playstation, or x-box it's not gonna happen any time in the near future.

Never was a bad coice of words for me to suggest my DW use, as you can never say never...but since the last true disney park adventure was publish on the nes back in 1992 (a good 15 years ago), for more info on it you can check here...http://www.consoleclassix.com/nes/adventures_magic_kingdom.html, And is a horrible horrible game...cances of them trying tis ever again are slim to say the least.

Hope that explains a little better for you.

All that said..I'd love to see them make a game off Kingdom Keepers the childrens book...but I know that is just as likely to happen as the above.

I am so glad to hear others mention a need for analgesics. Holy cow! My arms hurt from pitching and hitting "baseballs", and my legs ache from bowling, which were probably only aggravated by lots of revolutionary dancing. I just turned 39 a few weeks ago, and I thought I was in much better shape than this. Being in a midwestern winter, it's been a while since I've done my usual miles of biking on the local trail. Maybe that's what I need this winter...When will they be coming out with Wiicycling?:rotfl2:

I am so glad to hear others mention a need for analgesics. Holy cow! My arms hurt from pitching and hitting "baseballs", and my legs ache from bowling, which were probably only aggravated by lots of revolutionary dancing. I just turned 39 a few weeks ago, and I thought I was in much better shape than this. Being in a midwestern winter, it's been a while since I've done my usual miles of biking on the local trail. Maybe that's what I need this winter...When will they be coming out with Wiicycling?:rotfl2:

There's a little motor bike thing I've seen for preschoolers--I think it's made by Playschool or something. I saw the commercial and I was like OMG Iwant one of those!!! I don't think it could handle my wieght :p but I totally get what you're saying! Something like that would probably be terribly expensived, but I want it! lol

Keep those family reviews coming!!! I'll put them together in a couple of days and keep adding to the second post, so it's not all just me, DH and IGN giving you all reviews!

My daughter was so excited to get her Wii yesterday. She's been asking for a couple of months and I've been telling her that I'll do my best but they're pretty hard to come by. She's also been seeing the news reports about the problems getting a Wii so she figured it wasn't going to happen. Anyway, the look on her face when she opened it was worth the effort put into getting one. We spent a good portion of the day yesterday playing Wii Sports and loved it. Thank goodness we took the time to soak in the hot tub for a while before bed as I was pretty sore this morning anyway. A rotator cuff injury doesn't lend itself well to bowling for several hours but I had a blast doing it anyway. So far we've played all the sports games and love them. DD and her BFF played Wii play a lot and liked it. We've also been playing Zelda and Mario Party 8. Haven't yet tried Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Sims Castaway or Madden 08.

While I'm anxiously waiting for my turn at the different Wii sports my family won't give up, we were wondering if there is any deals out there for games and/or controllers. We have SM Strikers so far and the controllers that came with the game. My DS thought there was buy 3 get 1 free at ToysRUs but I went to their website and didn't see anything.

While I'm anxiously waiting for my turn at the different Wii sports my family won't give up, we were wondering if there is any deals out there for games and/or controllers. We have SM Strikers so far and the controllers that came with the game. My DS thought there was buy 3 get 1 free at ToysRUs but I went to their website and didn't see anything.

That sale at TRU ended last week. The best thing to do is to keep an eye on the Sunday ads and this board.

I know I read about games for $37.99 on some thread (maybe this one! lol I need a nap).

I haven't seen anything for accessories (controllers) for a while.

Yeah, he said he saw the ad at work and didn't know if it was an old one or not. Bummer. We were ready to drive up there and see what they had. I guess we'll wait til Sunday and see what the Sunday paper brings.

Thanks everyone for all the great info. on the Wii and the games!

I was at Target today and saw they had Mario/Sonic Olympics game for $37.00, but they were all sold out of it. But I was able to get a rain check for it!!!! That's good until Feb.10

I bet I will end up buying my first game Mario/Sonic Olympics game before I ever get my Wii! LOL

That Wii Fit game looks very cool, I can't wait for that game! I looked on the website, but I did not see when the game comes out. Can anyone tell me when it will be out?

Thanks again!

We have been playing Carnival, Wii Sports and Wii Play and love them! Tried Mario Party 8 - and I have to admit we just "don't get it" :confused:

We have always been big fans of the Super Mario Bros 3 from the old Nintendo systems and this is nothing like it. Is the Mario Galaxy game anything like the old Mario games?

We have not been able to get onto the virtual Wii console online to purchase the Mario Bros 3 NES game. Any tips on doing this? We have a wireless network and I even disabled the firewall but it didn't work out for us.

I know someone listed this earlier, but that post is now back a bit, so since it was asked again about deals, I thought it might be worth restating...

The Target ad lists the following Wii games at $37:

Need for Speed Pro Street
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Super Mario Galaxy
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Madden NFL 08
and Smackdown

I know many of you have named Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 as a lot of fun. Is it a sit-down game or is there any activity to it?

We checked at Target today and they had no extra controllers (or much of anything as far as accessories go for that matter) but they had about a dozen wiis! After reading some reviews here we may go back and see if tey have Mario/Sonic Olympics or at least the rain check.

We got Big Brain Academy Wii Degree-- I, DH, DD13 have had a great time with it. From what we've found, there is only one 'game' top play 2-player, though and I was disappointed in that. I think my DS10 doesn't want to play it because it would frustrate him if he didn't get high scores right off the bat.

Pirates of the Caribbean, At World's End-- I haven't played or even seen it played but DS10 says it is confusing. It was only $20 so I don't feel too bad about it.

Lego Star Wars, Complete Saga both DD13 and DS10 have had fun at this--we had both SW games for PS2 and they''ve enjoyd and beaten those so it isn't that new, but was necessary for my 2 SW freaks!

Wii Play-- We had a good time learning about the wii using this game. Haven't played a ton, but will go back.

Mostly, we have done WiiSports and are having a ball bowling and boxing, and I am figuring out how to play tennis, too! FUN!

I just wanted to post saying I love my Wii it keeps me up and moving when playing games. I enjoyed playing The BIGS, however it only took me a few days to beat. lately I have been on a Madden 07 click. I also enjoy the Mini games in Mario Party 8, my wife and I enjoy the competition in that just something fun for us. One thing i recommend for everyone out there if you don't already have a charger system for the wiimotes get one!

My husband and daughter have been having a blast w/ wii play these past 2 days! She has tried the Hannah Montana but have not gotten it down pat yet. We have yet to open Mario Galaxy!

ok i have to say that i LOVE my wii and all my friends got it too so we are all talking about the same thing..lol. The only problem is
I AM IN PAIN!!!!
omg, i am in so much pain, my arms hurt, my shoulders hurt, and my shoulder blasdes hurt and today my butt side started to hurt. I think i get too into it and take my 3 steps for bowling and tennis and what not, and iu think it was the boxing that did me in, it is definetly a lot of fun but my arms really really hurt, i guess there were muscles i never used IN A LONG TIME!!..lol

anyone else, or am i the only one in pain from actaullyt moving around with these things?

Alright got the Wii for the kids for x-mas;) , and looking into getting the wireless thing for it. Now just looking into it the consloe said to plug the thing into the usb connection on the Wii, so am I suppose to already have a wireless connection already or does this create 1? Want to maximize as much as possible. Any help?

Got Big Brain,MP8, Mario Galaxy, Mario vs Sonic, HSM sing it, and Zelda.

Been mostly playing the sports and just got into Galaxy and Zelda.

Thanks!

The kids have been on the Wii almost non-stop when we are home since yesterday! DH and I won't normally let them play this much but since it's new and they are checking out all of the games, we are not making a big deal of the time -- yet!

Having said that, their favorite game is Guitar Hero III. After that, their next favorite is Wario Ware Smooth Moves. They love this! There are 200 micro games, each about 5 seconds long. The players use the wii-mote as a "wand" to do things like pick Mario's nose, use it as a broom, a steering wheel, barbells, a jump rope... so many cool and fun movements! The guy who invented this game is a genius!

Their 3rd favorite is Mario Super Galaxy. There's several more games they have, but these are the top three.

That Wii Fit game looks very cool, I can't wait for that game! I looked on the website, but I did not see when the game comes out. Can anyone tell me when it will be out?

Thanks again!

Set for a Janurary release(some have said the 1st) but last i heard it is the gonna be the 15th...I'll keep you posted as I hear it.

We have been playing Carnival, Wii Sports and Wii Play and love them! Tried Mario Party 8 - and I have to admit we just "don't get it" :confused:

We have always been big fans of the Super Mario Bros 3 from the old Nintendo systems and this is nothing like it. Is the Mario Galaxy game anything like the old Mario games?

We have not been able to get onto the virtual Wii console online to purchase the Mario Bros 3 NES game. Any tips on doing this? We have a wireless network and I even disabled the firewall but it didn't work out for us.

1)MArio Party is more of a boardgame...where inbetween your movements you play mini games to collect coins to aid in your quest for stars.

2) Galaxy is more of a traditional Mario game...collect stars jumps, and smash, beat up bowser, save the princess.

3)Without knowing what the error code that you are getting is, it is hard for me to answer this question, however you should not need to dissable your firewall....my guess is that the settings on your wireless router are set incorrectly...it may need to have it changed from and open or private source to a shared signal....my suggestion try to connect ...write down the code it igves you and then go to Nintendo.com...under the wii section they have a trouble shooting section where you can put in that code. They will tell you what it means, and give you ideas of how to fix the problem.

Alright got the Wii for the kids for x-mas;) , and looking into getting the wireless thing for it. Now just looking into it the consloe said to plug the thing into the usb connection on the Wii, so am I suppose to already have a wireless connection already or does this create 1? Want to maximize as much as possible. Any help?

Thanks!
If you have a wireless router already set up in your home you will not need the usb/wireless connecter. That piece is for only if you DO NOT have a wireless router already.

That also said there are really 3 ways to connect to teh net with your Wii...
1) The built in wireless and your wireless router for your cable/dsl internet.
2)The Wii Lan Adapter...this plugs into the wii's us port on the back. You then plug your lan line directly from your modem(aka router)into this converter..just like you would plug the line from the router into your computer.
3) the wii usb/wireless adapter...this looks alot like a flash(thumb)drive and plugs into a usb port on your computer. It will broadcast a wireless signal from your hardwired computer.(the catch to this method is that in order for your wii to go online your computer must bee turned on)

Without knowing your set up I can't help further at this point...my last suggestion is to read the instructions in with the wii, as they have some great diagrams of how the 3 methods of hook up will look.

If you need more help let us know.

ok i have to say that i LOVE my wii and all my friends got it too so we are all talking about the same thing..lol. The only problem is
I AM IN PAIN!!!!
omg, i am in so much pain, my arms hurt, my shoulders hurt, and my shoulder blasdes hurt and today my butt side started to hurt. I think i get too into it and take my 3 steps for bowling and tennis and what not, and iu think it was the boxing that did me in, it is definetly a lot of fun but my arms really really hurt, i guess there were muscles i never used IN A LONG TIME!!..lol

anyone else, or am i the only one in pain from actaullyt moving around with these things?
OMG!!! I am in pain too! My fiance is dying, he has been popping ibuprofen left and right. My arm is in so much pain but it was so much fun we'll definitely be having Wii nights with friends.

I took it over my cousins' house, they just had a baby, and even my cousin who had a c-section a week and a half ago was playing everything! It was definitely and fun/painful christmas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter