Official Tinker Bell Half Marathon 2012 thread

Just switched hotels! I was going to stay at the Carousel Inn, but I was playing around on Kayak and found a great deal at BWPPI. I did the 21-day advance pay, and got a King for only $79.20 a night! It ended up only being $20 total more than the Carousel, and I've never stayed at the BWPPI and have heard nothing but good things about it, so I switched. And I'm that much closer to the parks! :yay: Oh yeah, and the race start. I guess that's a good thing too! :rotfl2:

Just switched hotels! I was going to stay at the Carousel Inn, but I was playing around on Kayak and found a great deal at BWPPI. I did the 21-day advance pay, and got a King for only $79.20 a night! It ended up only being $20 total more than the Carousel, and I've never stayed at the BWPPI and have heard nothing but good things about it, so I switched. And I'm that much closer to the parks! :yay: Oh yeah, and the race start. I guess that's a good thing too! :rotfl2:

What is BWPPI? I booked the BW Plus Stovall's Inn, paid in full to get the cheapest rate, and got about a $93 a night rate. I was pretty happy with that.

A question for the experienced: What do you guys do for breakfast on race day? I can't imagine getting going on a totally empty stomach, but with a DVC studio with no kitchen, it's not like I can make a meal and I don't imagine restaurants will be open at 3am...

A question for the experienced: What do you guys do for breakfast on race day? I can't imagine getting going on a totally empty stomach, but with a DVC studio with no kitchen, it's not like I can make a meal and I don't imagine restaurants will be open at 3am...

I think the best thing to do is decide on a breakfast now that works for you but, thinking ahead, is also easily portable so on race day you can have it with you in your room...and start eating that same breakfast before all your long runs so you get used to it. For example, I eat a bagel w/ peanut butter and a banana before every long run every weekend. So, when going for a race I bring my own bagel that I like, a few travel sized "Jif To-Go" peanut butters and a banana...all easily portable in my carry on, no cooking or refridgeration required, and follows the rule of "nothing new on race day." However, for the last 3 years I've gone to DL for the half marathon weekend, a handful of places have been open that early for runners in Downtown Disney...can't say for sure what they are offering though because I've never stopped for anything.

For the princess I bought cereal, milk, OJ and a banana at the food court the night before and kept it in the room. I didn't want to chance not being able to find anything race morning and I didn't want to spend my time hunting for something either.
DL is a little different though since they do have stores very close by where you could always pick something up.

I think the best thing to do is decide on a breakfast now that works for you but, thinking ahead, is also easily portable so on race day you can have it with you in your room...and start eating that same breakfast before all your long runs so you get used to it. For example, I eat a bagel w/ peanut butter and a banana before every long run every weekend. So, when going for a race I bring my own bagel that I like, a few travel sized "Jif To-Go" peanut butters and a banana...all easily portable in my carry on, no cooking or refridgeration required, and follows the rule of "nothing new on race day." However, for the last 3 years I've gone to DL for the half marathon weekend, a handful of places have been open that early for runners in Downtown Disney...can't say for sure what they are offering though because I've never stopped for anything.

I love the Jif To-Go peanut butter idea. I was already planning on having a bagel and the peanut butter would be better then cream cheese.

What is BWPPI? I booked the BW Plus Stovall's Inn, paid in full to get the cheapest rate, and got about a $93 a night rate. I was pretty happy with that.

It's the Best Western Park Place Mini Suites. It's on Harbor right at the big crosswalk at the entrance to the parks. If you're really familiar w/ Harbor and the entrance/exit area, as you're leaving the parks at the crosswalk, across the street from the parks is the Captain Kidd's Diner place and the hotel is on the left of the diner.

Like everybody else, I do the bagel thing. That and water. I usually pick up 1 of the bags, like Sara Lee or Thomas, at Target the day before I leave to bring down w/ me. FYI though, assuming it's like Sept., there will be a couple of places open in DTD race morning b/w 3~3:30. La Brea Bakery, Jamba Juice, Compass Books Cafe at the end of DTD by the theaters, and Haagen-Dazs were all open. Don't know what Haagen-Dazs is selling though. Coffee maybe? B/c nothing sounds better than running on a full stomach of ice-cream! :rotfl2:

First, check with Get Travel, the travel partner - they may have some bib spots still available for this race. If you decide you want to go the charity route, they have a list of available charities linked directly on the race website. The link to get travel is also there. They are both "linked" right where it shows the race is sold out. Check them all out as the charities have very different fund raising requirements. For example, TNT requires that you raise $3300 while Lazarex only requires a $750.00 raise.

Hope that helps.

Yes that was helpful...I'm checking the links right now. Hopefully there will slots through the travel place. If not I think I will sign up to run for autism speaks seems fitting as a special education teacher. :teacher:

What do you guys do for breakfast on race day? I can't imagine getting going on a totally empty stomach, but with a DVC studio with no kitchen, it's not like I can make a meal and I don't imagine restaurants will be open at 3am...

For me, I eat pretty much the same thing every morning....frozen steelcut oats from Trader Joes (they come in a single serving packages) and a cup of greek yogurt with a handful of frozen organic raspberries (sweetened with a sprinkle of Truvia). What's great about that is you don't need a kitchen; just a microwave. The steelcut oats provide lots of great carbs that stick with me for my long runs and don't upset my stomach. The greek yogurt gives me about 23 grams of protein and there's not a lot of sugary crap to mess up my system. It's all portable and because I eat the same thing, my stomach is really used to it. My friend, on the other hand, eats a PB&J before her long runs. To each their own :)

Any luck on finding Running apparel for the Tinker Bell?

Still have not found anything myself. And did not make the Run Disney Expo : (

BUT Now have my first Run and REAL time under my 'belt"

: )

All those breakkie suggestions are great, thanks so much, ladies! You're a real font of knowledge!

A helpful hint...the rooms at BWPPI and BW Stovall’s have small refrigerators. It comes in very handy for milk, fruit, etc. We always bring bagels, bananas, fruit, even cream cheese so we have everything we need for race morning.
This past year at Stovall’s, they were thoughtful enough to open the breakfast room at 4:00 a.m. for the runners, which I thought was great since the staff also made an effort to get up much earlier and help support the race participants. I hope they will also do that for the Tinker Bell as well.

For those still looking for reasonable rooms.....last week I call Stovall’s (to make another reservation) and I asked about availability for Tinker Bell weekend and they still have a number of rooms available. So if anyone is looking for a very reasonable rate room across the street from the start and finish of the race call BW Stovall’s. It is a longer walk to and from the actually parks (DL and DCA) than the motels on Harbor but it is a great location for the race itself.

A helpful hint...the rooms at BWPPI and BW Stovall’s have small refrigerators. It comes in very handy for milk, fruit, etc. We always bring bagels, bananas, fruit, even cream cheese so we have everything we need for race morning.
This past year at Stovall’s, they were thoughtful enough to open the breakfast room at 4:00 a.m. for the runners, which I thought was great since the staff also made an effort to get up much earlier and help support the race participants. I hope they will also do that for the Tinker Bell as well.

I noticed Stovall's has small fridges when I was looking through the photos on TripAdvisor! :thumbsup2 I think that will work out great for the celebratory bottle of champagne I plan to store in there! Personally, I don't eat anything the morning of a race, it's just what works for me. :hippie: But thanks for the info about the helpfulness of the staff race morning. :thumbsup2

How do you know where the race starts? :confused: Is that published somewhere and I am not savvy enough to find it? :cutie:

You can go here to view the course map.

Help! I signed up for Tink as something to work towards that I would never do. I never thought I would ever do a half marathon. My best friend and other friends were doing it and are expirienced runners. I am not. Not only do I have inexpirience against me, but I also have quite a bit of weight to lose too.

I started doing Jeff's couch to 5k a couple months ago and my first run out got huge blisters and tore up my heels. Got new shoes and those are healed up fine. Now I've gotten shin splints and having ankle issues. I think I did too much too soon. Patience is not my thing. Yes I know that in time my body will get used to it all, but I'm frustrated.

I guess my question is...how strict are they usually with the pacing time? I may end up having to walk most of the race, and I don't want to get swept. Do I stand a chance of finishing? Or have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed. Thanks

I guess my question is...how strict are they usually with the pacing time? I may end up having to walk most of the race, and I don't want to get swept. Do I stand a chance of finishing? Or have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed. Thanks

Due to road closures and all they are pretty strict on the pacing, but the pacing starts when the last person crosses the start line so you can buy yourself a few minutes by being toward the front of your corral. Also just keep training. When I was training for the princess I tried to make sure my walking pace was under or at the 16 min/mil mark so that any running I did just gave me that much more of a cushion.
Really the most important thing is to listen to your body and just keep working toward it. A serious injury could really hurt your chances of finishing, but on the other hand you also have to push yourself a little bit out of your comfort zone. It really wont take long and you will start to see that that comfort zone is moving farther and farther out and before you know it the mileage does get easier.

Bdi,
Congrats on signing up !!! The race is still a few months away. Try and not let your nerves get the best of you. You still have time to keep up on your training. For the DL 1/2 marathon there is always A LOT of people walking and they even have the last corral for the walkers. (Not sure if they will do this for the Tinker Bell) You will need to keep a 16 min pace per mile. Think of it as you are just walking fast one mile after another. Try not to psych yourself out of doing something really fun and it is really exciting doing these races. All the people and energy of these races, it's something to experience.

You might also want to check out the other training programs that Jeff Galloway has to offer. I know he has a Tinker Bell training program out.

Don't give up :cheer2:

Vicki

I noticed Stovall's has small fridges when I was looking through the photos on TripAdvisor! :thumbsup2 I think that will work out great for the celebratory bottle of champagne I plan to store in there! Personally, I don't eat anything the morning of a race, it's just what works for me. :hippie: But thanks for the info about the helpfulness of the staff race morning. :thumbsup2

You can go here to view the course map.
thanks!! so, in looking at the course, it appears that the start and finish will be right next to PP hotel, right? Man, I wish I could afford to stay there.....300.00/nt is a bit steep! Anyone find a better rate there and want to share? :cutie:

thanks!! so, in looking at the course, it appears that the start and finish will be right next to PP hotel, right? Man, I wish I could afford to stay there.....300.00/nt is a bit steep! Anyone find a better rate there and want to share? :cutie:

okay, I see that get travel has better rates! phew!:upsidedow

Hi everyone, just finished the Wine & Dine, and getting ready to start training for the Tinkerbell. This will be my first visit to Disneyland and I'm staying at Best Western Park Place Inn & Mini Suites. Does anyone know if that's close to the start of the race? I'm not familiar with the area at all.

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter