Official Tinker Bell Half Marathon 2012 thread

I'm in too!! :cheer2: I thought that dh's couldn't sign up unless part of a team? Am I too blonde? :cutie: It will be my first half unless dh and I decide to do the Vegas one....still thinking it through!
and my plan is to do the W&D at WDW in the same year to get he C2C medal.....

I'm in too!! :cheer2: I thought that dh's couldn't sign up unless part of a team? Am I too blonde? :cutie: It will be my first half unless dh and I decide to do the Vegas one....still thinking it through!

Men are allowed to sign up and run, they just aren't eligible to win any of the overall or age group awards, with the one exception being if they are a part of a co-ed team...they can win an award in that division if the other half of the team is female. :)

Momo.
I actually had to call ESPN to ask, cuz I was under the same impression. But Nope, Men can sign up to. My DH has promised to do his Best to pull off a passable Tinkerbell : ) too..

Your Plans look Just like ours :)

Run Disney Run@

Have we seen anywhere what the necklace looks like? I'd love to know before I commit to owning one. :)

Another thing I didn't think about was the start time of the race and the time of the year. Being that it's going to be in January and we start at 5:45, we'll be in the dark for a good chunk of the race. Not dark, dark, we'll have street lights, but no sun.

Oh wow yeah - very true. I would be in the dark for about 50% of the race....I wonder if that will affect any course entertainment? Very good point!

Momo.
I actually had to call ESPN to ask, cuz I was under the same impression. But Nope, Men can sign up to. My DH has promised to do his Best to pull off a passable Tinkerbell : ) too..

Your Plans look Just like ours :)

Run Disney Run@

Yes, men can sign up, but (if the Tink follows the same concept as the Princess), he will also have to start in the second (or possibly a later) corral. If both of you are fairly fast runners, you may have to drop back a corral in order to run with him (if you want to).

I am registered as well :) 2012 I will be going for my "coast to coast" medal.

This will be (hopefully) my second half marathon as I am signed up for the Wine and Dine in October 2011. With this one, I am more scared that the race starts at 5:45 am than the actually running part (I am more of a night owl than a morning person to say the least) ;) Also, I am reading that I will need gloves and layers... yikes!!! :scared1:

I am registered as well :) 2012 I will be going for my "coast to coast" medal.

This will be (hopefully) my second half marathon as I am signed up for the Wine and Dine in October 2011. With this one, I am more scared that the race starts at 5:45 am than the actually running part (I am more of a night owl than a morning person to say the least) ;) Also, I am reading that I will need gloves and layers... yikes!!! :scared1:

I'm not looking forward to the early AM or chilliness either.

Yes, men can sign up, but (if the Tink follows the same concept as the Princess), he will also have to start in the second (or possibly a later) corral. If both of you are fairly fast runners, you may have to drop back a corral in order to run with him (if you want to).

SaDad,
Um... whats a corral? I assume its the "Group" you run with... If so then... we vote for the Really Really Slow, but Not walking corral.
Are ya guessing this will be our first run : ) LOL

Yea we will run together, but the ESPN lady/Cast member mentioned the no prizes and such part. NOT a problem... saw the times for the last Princess and ... Well I might be able to run that fast if they allow me the Drive instead :) .. baring that, I think we will be good at the 13.5 to 14 minute mile group.

But thank you for the LOL.... been a hard day and needed it... (googleing corral now)

: )

YEP We will take the second to last Corral please ..... hehehe
Thank you google answer...

Heh. As I tell people - the miles don't get any shorter or easier if they take longer. The real issue with corrals (and yes, they are basically big, fenced in areas, where the runners are herded into like cattle - hence, corral) is when something like this occurs:

DW and I have pretty different paces. My pace puts me comfortably into the first corral for every Disney race (except the Princess and, presumably, the Tink). DW is slower, and starts typically a corral or two behind me, depending on the race. So, if we were running together, I would drop back to be with her. But SIL (who lives near Disneyland) is about at my pace for the half marathon - close enough that I could pace her to a PR. But the only way I could pace her would be for her to drop back into my corral (again, for the Princess and the Tink - for other races, we would both be in the same corral). Depending on how they do the separations, she might be able to start at the tail end of hers, and I could catch her, so long as I am in the front of mine.

Anyway, that was kind of long winded. The important thing is that the two of you should have no problem starting together, if you are both at the 13.5 to 14 minute/mile group.

I agree with some of the posters, we had planned on Painting our wings on, cuz draggen my backside around is More than enough weight thank you...

Was going to try and do the DH outfit sorta like the boy fairy in the Tink Movies, or maybe go a little peter pan..
Were more Tink traditionalists anyway, back when she was a Villain. (Yes Virginia Tink WAS a Villain. )

Not going to ad pointy things to the shoes though... I can stick a red feather in his head band.

As for me.. Well I got the blonde down, (thanks Mom). And my running cloths are already that yellow green, as Painting on wings... (and a bright Green DIS mickey head) should be nuthin but a thing..

Or am I foolin myself, I AM new to this...

Heh. As I tell people - the miles don't get any shorter or easier if they take longer. The real issue with corrals (and yes, they are basically big, fenced in areas, where the runners are herded into like cattle - hence, corral) is when something like this occurs:

DW and I have pretty different paces. My pace puts me comfortably into the first corral for every Disney race (except the Princess and, presumably, the Tink). DW is slower, and starts typically a corral or two behind me, depending on the race. So, if we were running together, I would drop back to be with her. But SIL (who lives near Disneyland) is about at my pace for the half marathon - close enough that I could pace her to a PR. But the only way I could pace her would be for her to drop back into my corral (again, for the Princess and the Tink - for other races, we would both be in the same corral). Depending on how they do the separations, she might be able to start at the tail end of hers, and I could catch her, so long as I am in the front of mine.

Anyway, that was kind of long winded. The important thing is that the two of you should have no problem starting together, if you are both at the 13.5 to 14 minute/mile group.

I mean I can only speak for Princess two years ago - I was in a similar situation where I wanted to run with my dad, so we had to drop back a corral so we could start together. He then ditched me about 2 mins before the gun went off and told me to run my own race because he needed a bathroom :lmao: But we started in the front of B, and the course was so much more emptier than it was compared to marathon weekend anyways, that I really didn't feel that dropping back affected my pace in any way. I mean obviously it was crowded at the start, but there is SUCH a wide range in corral A anyways (they had everyone from the sub 7 min crowd up to a 10 min+) that the crowds dissipated fast. If it's anything like that at Tink, you guys should have no problem starting together in B and going for your SIL's PR

I mean I can only speak for Princess two years ago - I was in a similar situation where I wanted to run with my dad, so we had to drop back a corral so we could start together. He then ditched me about 2 mins before the gun went off and told me to run my own race because he needed a bathroom :lmao: But we started in the front of B, and the course was so much more emptier than it was compared to marathon weekend anyways, that I really didn't feel that dropping back affected my pace in any way. I mean obviously it was crowded at the start, but there is SUCH a wide range in corral A anyways (they had everyone from the sub 7 min crowd up to a 10 min+) that the crowds dissipated fast. If it's anything like that at Tink, you guys should have no problem starting together in B and going for your SIL's PR

I thought that would be the case, but, to be honest, unless someone else is paying, I probably won't be running in either the Princess or the Tink. There are plenty of races out there that won't toss me back a corral, or keep me from even trying for an age group award.

(And, while I know the ladies on the thread would certainly be welcoming and inviting, I keep reading report from guys who "crash" the Princess, or other women-themed races, and it is not pretty reading. Life is too short, and the race too expensive, to subject myself to some of the treatment I have heard about.)

I thought that would be the case, but, to be honest, unless someone else is paying, I probably won't be running in either the Princess or the Tink. There are plenty of races out there that won't toss me back a corral, or keep me from even trying for an age group award.

(And, while I know the ladies on the thread would certainly be welcoming and inviting, I keep reading report from guys who "crash" the Princess, or other women-themed races, and it is not pretty reading. Life is too short, and the race too expensive, to subject myself to some of the treatment I have heard about.)

You know, you guys might be able to win an award for the mixed gender category actually depending on how fast you guys are and how the field works out. I think the winner of Princess was like a bit under an hour and half. Not that's not an amazing time (and much faster than me!) but in terms of overall speed, it's really not *that* fast for such a large race. The winners of my local races I run with NYRR would crush those times and the courses up here are arguably much more difficult. And obviously the actual winners won't be on a mixed gender team at least I wouldn't think so. Just saying.

But I don't blame you for not wanting to make a whole thing over a race for women...we kinda suckered my dad into it. I mean he was totally fine with it (and the timing worked out well for a tune up before Boson for him) and we all had a great trip, but I don't think it's on his top 10 list of races he wants to do again

Anyone else having a hard time trying to find time to get your training in?

There is just not enough time in the day.

Thanks for the additional Data SAHdad,

Did not even know women had issues with men running in their races. Shame on us for a bad attitude with Anything relating to Disney. Isn't it all for Charity anyway.... But I guess Im not running to "win" anything, at least not yet, maybe someday, but I doubt Id ever think it ok to "heckle" a guy running in a chick focused run. :/

That being said.

I'm learning a Lot form this thread, keep it up! and Thank you!

Anyone else having a hard time trying to find time to get your training in?

There is just not enough time in the day.

It is hard to work those runs in but it does get easier. My plan only requires two 1/2 hour runs and then the long run. I look forward to those times when all I have to do is put one foot in front of the other. You can do it! :thumbsup2

lisah0711... Thanks for the encouragement!!
I was able to put 1 hr of training in today by myself and enjoyed it. Sometimes it's also nice to be able to train without a jogging stroller.

So, Where does one find Disney Running apparel?

We found the discounted shirts on the Disneystore.com but would love ones for Tinkerbell. but I cont find shirts.

Is there a super special secret place to buy running shirts, "in training" or what not?

??? : )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter