• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL The Pirates League Thread

Does anyone know if you get e-mail confirmations when you make a reservation (similar to dining)? I called to book today and they gave me a confirmation # over the phone, but I have yet to receive any e-mail and it isn't showing up under My Vacation/My Reservations on the Disney website. Just trying to make sure it was booked successfully and I don't need to make another phone call. TIA!

Does anyone know if you get e-mail confirmations when you make a reservation (similar to dining)? I called to book today and they gave me a confirmation # over the phone, but I have yet to receive any e-mail and it isn't showing up under My Vacation/My Reservations on the Disney website. Just trying to make sure it was booked successfully and I don't need to make another phone call. TIA!

I made most of my ADR's online and got email confirmations. I made one over the phone and I asked her if I would get an email and she sad no - they weren't able to do that. I would guess it;s the same for the pirate league. If you have a confirmation number I would feel confident it is booked.

I wish! your not allowed to take pictures in this room is HAS to be their photographer and you have the option to buy them. The lighting was so perfect, they turned out so beautiful I HAD to buy them! i wish i was wealthy enough to buy all of the poses!
Wish there were more places with the perfect lighting like this for meet and greets!!!

By any chance did you pre purchase the photopass CD before your trip? The only reason I am asking is because you said you wanted to get all the poses. If you bought the picture you can add all the photos they took onto your photopass account.

I made most of my ADR's online and got email confirmations. I made one over the phone and I asked her if I would get an email and she sad no - they weren't able to do that. I would guess it;s the same for the pirate league. If you have a confirmation number I would feel confident it is booked.

Yep. I made my DDs appointment over the phone and was just given the time and confirmation number. No email was provided. I showed up at the time of my reservation and all was good :-)

First, let me say that Pirates League is awesome, and my boys were asking to do it again on our next trip about an hour after we had our appointment! It is worth every penny, and I plan on letting them do it again.

I haven't read all 59 pages of this thread, so my apologies if this info is a repeat of any previous posts. My DS 3 was Captain Hook. We brought an older Captain Hook costume from home, and hoped to buy a new hat at the MK. I should have researched this a bit better before our trip, but there are no Captain Hook hats anywhere in the World. We settled for the hat they have available at the Pirate's League (a buck hat I think??) and it looked good, but for those that want to be authentic, it might be disappointing.

And the pictures that they take in the secret room are absolutely amazing, and you will not even hesitate to purchase them! They are totally worth it, and it will give anyone who doesn't get to experience the make-up in person an excellent idea of how great it looks.

As mentioned, only the Gunner is allowed to take photos in the Sacred Sanctorum. They use specialty cameras designed specifically for this room, and the Gunners trained at this location go through extra training on how to work with the unique settings. Even if they did let Guests use their own cameras, they would never look as good. They do not use a flash.

All right now, as an amateur photo geek this has me curious. "Specialty" cameras? What on earth could those possibly be? Why would "specialty" cameras be needed? Why wouldn't a DSLR set to the appropriate settings work?

Does anyone have info on this?

All right now, as an amateur photo geek this has me curious. "Specialty" cameras? What on earth could those possibly be? Why would "specialty" cameras be needed? Why wouldn't a DSLR set to the appropriate settings work?

I'm not anywhere close to being any sort of photographer (I feel impressed if I get some non-blurry shots on my cheap-o camera), however, I didn't notice the gunner's camera being any different from the other PP guys cameras. I think it was just placement. I did notice that they took a lot of pictures when I had mine added to my PP card (after purchase, of course), and not all were ... well ... let's say I bought the best one and the others are filed away as just being there. Cute, but not amazing. :rolleyes:

With that said, I'd love to hear more about this special camera, too! :goodvibes

We have down the Pirate League twice with my oldest son. The BEST part besides the actual transformation was the crew. Both times the crew members were fantastic and real and my son loved it. They asked my son if he had been on a ship before and he told them no, but his cousin was in the navy. I think the guy said we better watch this one he could be a pirate turned good...lol

It's the same base camera, just a different lens. It allows the shutter to remain open for a longer period of time, without the need of a tripod, so that the shots are not blurry. The biggest problem we have are blurry shots. There is an additional gunner that reviews all photos and picks the best one to be printed for the New Recruit.

It's the same base camera, just a different lens. It allows the shutter to remain open for a longer period of time, without the need of a tripod, so that the shots are not blurry. The biggest problem we have are blurry shots. There is an additional gunner that reviews all photos and picks the best one to be printed for the New Recruit.

Thanks Berlioz. I'll have to take notice. I'm thinking they are probably just "fast" lenses, meaning larger apertures--which are available for consumer purchase, and allow the lens to open wider so that the shutter is actually open for less time.

I'm pretty confident my D700 with a nice fast prime could achieve the same results ChicagoMo posted, so it's sort of sad they don't allow the guests to photograph in the room.

Thanks Berlioz. I'll have to take notice. I'm thinking they are probably just "fast" lenses, meaning larger apertures--which are available for consumer purchase, and allow the lens to open wider so that the shutter is actually open for less time.

I'm pretty confident my D700 with a nice fast prime could achieve the same results ChicagoMo posted, so it's sort of sad they don't allow the guests to photograph in the room.

He didn't use a tripod. the lighting was amazing. I don't understand the lens being different. it was the same camera as i have seen all the photopass people using. I also have a DSLR. but would never get the shot without the tripod. unless the TV was set pretty quick.

No they won't allow other personal cameras becuase the room is SECRET!!! duh.:rotfl:
I don't mind paying the money for good pictures.

No they won't allow other personal cameras becuase the room is SECRET!!! duh.
;) :lmao:

Yeah, long shutter speeds and moving subjects (kids) generally don't mix. Which is why I think they're just using a fast lens and actually a shorter shutter speed (not a longer one). There's little doubt in my mind my D700 and 50 1.4 could handle it.

But... I'll just have to cough up the $$ for the pic, since it's a secret room and all!

I 'coughed' up the money for both kids in May! It was well worth every penny! We bought both pictures in their "frames" (even though they were only trying to sell us the first frame). I absolutely thought it was a great deal for such a wonderful picture ... and the memories ... those will last a lifetime! :cloud9:

What the best time? We have reservations at 9:10 AM. MK opens at 8:00 AM on this day. I'm thinking it's too early (cuts into too much of our precious early morning touring time!). What do you all think?

Thanks!

I 'coughed' up the money for both kids in May! It was well worth every penny! We bought both pictures in their "frames" (even though they were only trying to sell us the first frame). I absolutely thought it was a great deal for such a wonderful picture ... and the memories ... those will last a lifetime! :cloud9:

So I take it they don't do the pictures together, so you end up paying for separate pics of each child? Not that I mind, I just think it would be cute to have pics of them together also!

AMAZING...My little "Chris Bloodshot" was thrilled with the whole thing. I couldn't get over how different he looked. My friend's son didn't recognize him. He loves that sword and we paid the extra for the gun. Everyone made comments to him for the rest of the day. The picture they take inside the secret room is very good...and we also got all the digital ones which are to be on my Photopass disk...that has been shipped...(yes I am anxious for it to get here). Anyone with a child who would like the pirate theme...I say go for it. It was certainly a highlight of the trip....and my son was never into pirates beforehand. The best moment for me was when we were sitting watching the parade on Main St. and Captain Hook came over to my son, shook his hand and took his eye patch and put it down into place. too cute
Hint> I paid $5 day after Halloween on a pirate costume, brought it with us... DS wore it that day...The pirate next to DS on stage (or his parents) apparently paid $70 for a costume for their son.:eek:

I'm sure the camera just either has high ISO, and/or a wide aperture lens. I have no doubt I could take a picture there without a tripod. I have a Cannon 5D Mark2. Outfitted with a 50/1.2 lens, I could just about take a picture in the dead of night without flash. I never use flash. I am sure this is their technique. I am sure they have nothing too fancy, just a good camera and lens.

What the best time? We have reservations at 9:10 AM. MK opens at 8:00 AM on this day. I'm thinking it's too early (cuts into too much of our precious early morning touring time!). What do you all think?

Thanks!

I debated the same question ... what time was best. I didn't want to waste precious time while lines wre short - BUT I did want to do it early enough that they could show it off for most of the day in the park. I decided on 11:30
I think it's hard to say what time is "best"

So I take it they don't do the pictures together, so you end up paying for separate pics of each child? Not that I mind, I just think it would be cute to have pics of them together also!

I didn't ask, they didn't offer. But in reality, the setup was pretty small. Not so sure how well it would work with more than one child at a time. :confused3

If you really want pics of both kids together, there's a photographer just outside the league who takes nice pictures! She got both of my kids together, and some shots of them alone (and it went straight to my PP card without an additional purchase). :thumbsup2

I had had to be willing to buy photos of both girls seperate. I added this photo to my photopass card by using the numbers on the reciept for the individual photos we bought. They would not sell me this photo.
25.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter