Official Star Wars Weekends Thread Tips and Tricks 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to tell you a tale...
Loved it! Well done!

And if you are ever in the disney parks and see people sporting 501st shirts or badges (we are not allowed to wear our costumes except for the parades) say HI... 501st people love to talk, and they are some of the nicest people I have ever met, AND THEY :love: STAR WARS... how cool is that?

When are you going? We are most probably going June 5-15

I have to garner my courage and ask for time off. For that trip and our (now) annual Vegas in July trip.

How absolutely cool!

I haven't watched the movie since I saw it as a new release in the theater ;)

I wonder if it's on netflix. Will have to check when I get home.

I too saw it in the theaters... I've loved Jodi Foster ever since... I am kinda a tomboy like her character...

I love your story Sunshine!! What a great accomplishment, you are an example of what following your dreams means.

Loved it! Well done!

Thank you ladies, it has been a dream come true!!!!

....AND I have even dragged my BF with me... we went to our first gathering of local 501st members (it was what they call an armor party) and when my BF met them and saw how everyone helped each other work on their costumes he was hooked. He is now SL-10144 his first costume for entry was Darth Revan (that's him in the picture below). Like me he too is going to work on a White Plastic Spacemen :)

OflyHb7.jpg

If anyone wants to check out the costumes, I do show and tell on my costuming FB page, you don't have to friend me to follow that page. It's in my signature below.

When are you going? We are most probably going June 5-15

I have to garner my courage and ask for time off. For that trip and our (now) annual Vegas in July trip.

We will be at SWW May 14th thru May 25th, hoping to march in two weekends events. So sadly I will miss you this year.

NEXT year we are going to SWW on the later weekends (we are scheming a plan) because we are going to try and get three trips to WDW on one annual pass... One weekend quickie for SWW 2016 in June, a long family trip in October 2016 during food and wine (we are renting a house and trying to get as much family to join us as we can) then we will be back for first (and maybe 2nd) weekend of SWW 2017.

Does the same things happen on May 4th as the star wars weekends. We have dinner ressies at Jedi Mickeys, hollywood and vine fantasmic Package already! :) TIA

Does anyone know if there are any magic shots photopass pictures for sww?
Tia
Yes, one with you fighting Vader and another one with you doing a force push on stormtroopers

Does the same things happen on May 4th as the star wars weekends. We have dinner ressies at Jedi Mickeys, hollywood and vine fantasmic Package already! :) TIA

No, the only SW thing during May 4th will be the meals, last year they had some characters out and a couple of shirts but that was it. In 2013 the had special fireworks, and a JTA were the parents could fight along their kids but that was part of limited time magic. As of right now, nothing special for May 4th

Tia

IF you are asking does Photopass (now called Memory Maker) add in fun shots of SW Characters separate to your pictures? Yes they do.

If you are asking does Photopass (now called Memory Maker) add fun graphics like Tinkerbell sitting in your hand or Stitch licking you? I haven't seen that yet, and I have gone a few years now and we always do Photopass/Memory Maker.

It is funny that I just mentioned Hero and Stunt Stormtroopers in my story and the 501st Southern California Garrison posted this on the FB just a little bit ago.

6YpC9EU.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the difference are?!

I'll give people time to answer and post the differences after a while.

same! I'm so overwhelmed with info for SWW that I don't even know how to plan! Wishing they would release some more info!

Have you ever been before?

How many days are you going to spend at DHS?

I know this place can be overwhelming! and when I went in 2013 I tried to drink ever inch of it in!

First thing we found was so helpful, make a list of MUST DOs. IF my BF and I both had that MUST DO on our list is took priority.

And don't be afraid to ask this board anything.... Heck I just found out about the special SW magic things in pictures and I do Photopass/Memory Maker for every trip we go on!

Even those that think they are a vet have new things hit them all the time... and they release new stuff too.... Like the new SW magic bands didn't even come out till half way through SWW last year!

The best thing you can do is keep your eye on the first page of this thread, Yulilin is so terrific about putting a one stop shop place together and keeping it up to date.

This is my 1st time attending a SW Celebration and I am super excited about it. Especially to help be a part of it, and go as a member of the 501st. I am sooooo giddy I can't stand it. (I am also very worried that when the rush of SW Celebration and SWW comes to an end it will be such a downer! I know we have alot of 501st events planned this year, so I hope it will help.)

I have to tell you a tale... (I will not be offended if you feel it's TLDR, but for those that are interested...)

The summer of 2003, I was attending GENCON in Indianapolis, I alpha and beta tested a lot of computer games back then as well as play a lot of card games, particularly one called Magic The Gathering. In any event, as a person that worked a lot of the tables at GENCON I was always dressed up in some type of get up, this day it was a renaissance gown.

It was time to take a break and I stepped outside of the Indianapolis Convention Center to find myself standing in the midst of a sea of white plastic spacemen, and when I say sea it was like 30 plus people, all dressed as Stormtroopers. I was astounded. I had never seen such a beautiful sight in all my life. I nearly cried right there. I had never heard of the 501st, nor knew that there were people out there that got together in such beautiful quality SW costumes such as these. I really thought it was some stunt for publicity or something. There were a few who took off their helmets and smiled at my reaction.

They Moved Along... and soon I composed myself and went to get something to eat.

It wasn't till later (after telling people what I saw at GENCON) I would learn that SWC II had been held in Indianapolis the year prior and that these people were members of the 501st, a newly formed group in 1998. They had come out to troop for fun at the gaming convention.

I looked into some of the costumes for years, learning the high cost, AND TIME they took to make... during this time frame I was also in the process of raising three sons, the blessing that they are, would not afford me the luxury of such extravagance (both time and money).

It wasn't until the encouragement of a few Dissers/501st members both on the boards and in person when meeting them at Disney SWW in 2013 that I got the courage, and had the finances and time (my youngest was now 21 and on his own) to try to join these people I had admired for a decade from afar.

Being a member of the 501st is like a dream, the people are super awesome, super talented, and like the people on this thread super helpful!

I do not have my storm trooper completed, yet, I joined the 501st as Mara Jade (call numbers DS-10145) so I could start slow still be a member and learn how to make these awesome costumes.

I do however have two buckets (aka helmets) in pieces in my garage, waiting for me to finish them. One for a normal "Stunt Stormtrooper" that's what the call the bad guys in Stormtrooper armor (the good guys they call "Hero Stormtroopers") the second is for a Joker Squad Stormtrooper (more form fitting uniforms that both guys and girls can wear BUT the cosplay/501st community that does is all female so it gets dubbed Fem Troopers). I also have all the armor (unfinished) for the Joker Squad Trooper and I am desperately awaiting the arrival of the pieces Stunt Stormtrooper armor so can start assembly.

One day I hope to astonish people as the white plastic spacemen astonished me...

But for now I will settle for this...

and this...

THE END :P (or should I say the end of the beginning)

I tell you this to explain my excitement. So if I am over the top... you might get why :laughing:

And if you are ever in the disney parks and see people sporting 501st shirts or badges (we are not allowed to wear our costumes except for the parades) say HI... 501st people love to talk, and they are some of the nicest people I have ever met, AND THEY :love: STAR WARS... how cool is that?

This really makes we wonder when they are going to announce SW stuff for DHS. I mean it looks like they are clearing the way!

Hopefully as part of SWW they shed some light to us.

Thanks so much for sharing. That is awesome that you are living you dream. We love the 501st. My husband and youngest son love stopping and talking to people about costuming. My son collects their cards, but wants to know all there is to know about their story. Years ago at Celebration we signed him up for the Galactic Academy (not affiliated with the 501st). He can't wait until he is old enough to start costuming and join the 501st. That and volunteer at Give Kids the World are on his bucket list of things to do as soon as he is old enough.

His Galactic Academy profile http://galactic-academy.com/showmember-imperials.php?memberid=0488&company=Firebrands

My husband would love to get into the 501st. He has several costumes and wears them as a guest to SWW.

Years ago, he bought some kind of stormtrooper thing. Big box filled with white pieces. More boxes bought of straps and more boxes of other stuff. He'd love to figure it out one day. I know he needs help because this is getting no where on his own. I have no idea what type of stormtrooper it is.

Thank you ladies, it has been a dream come true!!!!

....AND I have even dragged my BF with me... we went to our first gathering of local 501st members (it was what they call an armor party) and when my BF met them and saw how everyone helped each other work on their costumes he was hooked. He is now SL-10144 his first costume for entry was Darth Revan (that's him in the picture below). Like me he too is going to work on a White Plastic Spacemen :)

If anyone wants to check out the costumes, I do show and tell on my costuming FB page, you don't have to friend me to follow that page. It's in my signature below.

We will be at SWW May 14th thru May 25th, hoping to march in two weekends events. So sadly I will miss you this year.

NEXT year we are going to SWW on the later weekends (we are scheming a plan) because we are going to try and get three trips to WDW on one annual pass... One weekend quickie for SWW 2016 in June, a long family trip in October 2016 during food and wine (we are renting a house and trying to get as much family to join us as we can) then we will be back for first (and maybe 2nd) weekend of SWW 2017.

I look forward to seeing you march. Assuming there isn't any construction going on at the Backlot Express, that is usually where we watch the parade since ds can't be outside long. We sit at a table indoors until the Rebel Legion and 501st march by. Then we pop outside and cheer them on.

Tia

Yes, the past two years there were 2 different magic shots. One with storm troopers and one with Vader. The one magic shot has been at Tatooine Traders at the outside wall.

In 2013, there were magic shots outside of Darth's Mall.

They DO?! I must find these cool places you speak of!

Not SWW ones, but you can always ask a photopass photographer if they are trained in any magic shots. It's more fun if they just surprise you. So if they tell you to position your hand a certain way, or point to something, just go with it.

same! I'm so overwhelmed with info for SWW that I don't even know how to plan! Wishing they would release some more info!

SWW is the hardest to plan for if you are a micromanager. There is so much unknown right up to that first weekend. Then information spreads quickly. I feel like I'm stuck in a binary loop all of SWW, our "plans" are loose and contain a lot of "if thens"

I wanted to book the breakfast today and it's all book for all 10 days I'll be there.

Which days will you be there. I actually have 2 breakfasts booked because I couldn't decide on a time. I'm pretty sure we're keeping the 9am and dropping the 10:30 on May15.

Which days will you be there. I actually have 2 breakfasts booked because I couldn't decide on a time. I'm pretty sure we're keeping the 9am and dropping the 10:30 on May15.
That's so sweet of you!

Unfortunately we're there June 5-15.

I'll keep trying, I'm guessing there's a date when people forfit money if they don't cancel so that's a good date to try back. I'm also going to call tonight.

Oh and.... MY TIME OFF GOT APPROVED TODAY! :banana::banana::banana:

:jumping1::mickeyjum:tigger::dumbo::stitch::simba::flower1:

I'll go on over to the roll call thread now :lovestruc

That's so sweet of you!

Unfortunately we're there June 5-15.

I'll keep trying, I'm guessing there's a date when people forfit money if they don't cancel so that's a good date to try back. I'm also going to call tonight.

Oh and.... MY TIME OFF GOT APPROVED TODAY! :banana::banana::banana:

:jumping1::mickeyjum:tigger::dumbo::stitch::simba::flower1:

I'll go on over to the roll call thread now :lovestruc

They only have to cancel 24 hours ahead.

Keep trying. Weekdays usually opened easier. And since the meals take 90 minutes, it makes sense to do them on non - SWW days.

Ah 24 hours. Bummer. Yes, the weekdays were my first choice, and when those were sold out I moved to weekends.

Ah 24 hours. Bummer. Yes, the weekdays were my first choice, and when those were sold out I moved to weekends.

You could try for a walk-up on a weekday and ask specifically for a picnic table in the back. If you do get seated and notice the characters aren't rotating to the back of the restaurant, immediately let a Manager know.

Last year, because the breakfasts kept running long, they may be attempting to streamline them this year. The good part is that the meals begin on May 4th and lovethattink will be reporting on them! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter