• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Star Wars Weekends 2014 Tips and Tricks

My son is the biggest SW fan ever and have been wanting to do this for a very long time. We go to Disney every year in August and never get a chance to do it. For Christmas this year we surprised the kids (DD 13 and DS 16 ) with a Disney cruise which is the week of the 1st weekend, so we decided to go to the first weekend. Very excited:cool1:

Does anyone know how to have your kids be in the parade? Is it random? Or a sign up? I see little ones walking with their light sabers every year and never knew how to get them involved

Does anyone know how to have your kids be in the parade? Is it random? Or a sign up? I see little ones walking with their light sabers every year and never knew how to get them involved

It's done randomly, CM's usually pick kids around the Star Tours and Hollywood Bkvd. area, they look for kids who are into SW, so dressed in SW costumes or SW shirts. They look for kids that are not shy and can take direction well. Kids that are chosen are asked to be in a certain area about 45 minutes before the parade, taken backstage where they give them jedi robes and lightsabers. Then thay walk behind the Jedi Masters from the JTA, all kids go together and then, a few feet back the parents walk.
There is a special area for the rest of the parents to be by the stage so they can see the little jedis walking down Hollywood Blvd.
Kids are then expected to wait in front of the stage for the entire parade to come and the special welcome ceremony.
Kids that are chosen must be able to tolerate heat since they have to be standing in full jedi robes in front of the hat for about 35 minutes.
Also the special, roped off parent area is in full sun as well.

I'm going to make it over one night, May 17. Afternoon/evening events on the 17th and morning events on the 18th.

Hey Everyone
So excited to be able to attend this year's SWW :thumbsup2
We are going to be returning from a cruise on June 7th so could potentially head to DHS on the afternoon/eventing of the 7th but I am thinking that we will probably dedicate a full day on June 8th instead (unless you guys tell me different!)
Help us plan our day!
We don't really have any interest in getting autographs and aren't travelling with kids so Jedi Training etc is not important (just me and DH will be attending)
So, we would like to see the parade, and the Hyperspace Hoopla (but could see the evening show on the 7th if you think that is a good way to split the two days)
I'd also like to grab a few photos with characters and hopefully attend at least one on the special seminars/talks
Rides/attractions are not important, can do them anytime!
My point is that we are pretty casual to the day but still want to feel part of the special events
Any advice appreciated
Thanks!

Hey Everyone
So excited to be able to attend this year's SWW :thumbsup2
We are going to be returning from a cruise on June 7th so could potentially head to DHS on the afternoon/eventing of the 7th but I am thinking that we will probably dedicate a full day on June 8th instead (unless you guys tell me different!)
Help us plan our day!
We don't really have any interest in getting autographs and aren't travelling with kids so Jedi Training etc is not important (just me and DH will be attending)
So, we would like to see the parade, and the Hyperspace Hoopla (but could see the evening show on the 7th if you think that is a good way to split the two days)
I'd also like to grab a few photos with characters and hopefully attend at least one on the special seminars/talks
Rides/attractions are not important, can do them anytime!
My point is that we are pretty casual to the day but still want to feel part of the special events
Any advice appreciated
Thanks!

Your title is the main tip...priorities
To watch the parade you must grab a spot at least 1hour and a half before...if you want the shady side of the street at least 2 hours in advance. If you don't care about your view, a few people behind the curb then you should be Ok about 45 minutes before.
There are a lot of characters. Darth Vader, Chewbacca and Jedi Mickey, Minnie Leia, Stormtrooper Donald and Darth Goofy are the longest lines. Other characters are easier to get. If you see the first post on this thread you'll see a lot of good info on all shows and characters experiences
As with all things Disney Parks, get there early to make the most out of your day.

Hello!! This tips thread was SOO helpful last year! We had a wonderful trip and accomplished most of what we wanted to, because of the great info we found here.

We weren't really planning on a repeat trip this year, but now all of a sudden DH and DD are thinking that we should! So maybe we'll be going for weekend I this year!!:thumbsup2

Happy New Year to all!

Your title is the main tip...priorities To watch the parade you must grab a spot at least 1hour and a half before...if you want the shady side of the street at least 2 hours in advance. If you don't care about your view, a few people behind the curb then you should be Ok about 45 minutes before. There are a lot of characters. Darth Vader, Chewbacca and Jedi Mickey, Minnie Leia, Stormtrooper Donald and Darth Goofy are the longest lines. Other characters are easier to get. If you see the first post on this thread you'll see a lot of good info on all shows and characters experiences As with all things Disney Parks, get there early to make the most out of your day.

Thanks for your advice :)
I had no idea that we would need to get a spot for the parade so early!
Good to know as it will help us to plan our day
Does the special event park map show where each character will be situated and the times?

Thanks for your advice :)
I had no idea that we would need to get a spot for the parade so early!
Good to know as it will help us to plan our day
Does the special event park map show where each character will be situated and the times?

Not specifically, but if you go to the link on the first post from Kenny The Pirate he has all the detailed info on where and when to find the characters.
The hardest to get are the ones that rotate. Some people get in line for Jedi Mickey, for example, and then after 40 minutes in line the character switches to, say Darth Goofy. So it's all about timing.

Hello!! This tips thread was SOO helpful last year! We had a wonderful trip and accomplished most of what we wanted to, because of the great info we found here.

We weren't really planning on a repeat trip this year, but now all of a sudden DH and DD are thinking that we should! So maybe we'll be going for weekend I this year!!:thumbsup2

Happy New Year to all!

You know you can't stay away from the Dark Side :laughing:
Happy New Year to you and your family

Ah, so nice to be back to the SWW T&T thread for another year! Thanks Yulilin for getting things started. We haven't been back to the World since May of 2013 and we are having major withdrawals - it won't quite be a year between trips, but almost. Sort of a lot happened since then, not the least of which was a new addition to our family. A new padawan will be making his first journey to DHS and SWW this year and we are SO excited!

My husband created our baby's nursery all on his own (well, I bought some stuff), so I will ever so briefly hijack our SWW thread to post a couple of pictures, but I love that room so dang much. He even sewed the window valances. SWW veterans will likely recognize at least a couple of items hanging around in there. Can't wait to get my SWW planning on in full force!

SO.FEAKING.COOL!!!
Congrats on the newborn and he is very lucky to have such awesome parents.

Ah, so nice to be back to the SWW T&T thread for another year! Thanks Yulilin for getting things started. We haven't been back to the World since May of 2013 and we are having major withdrawals - it won't quite be a year between trips, but almost. Sort of a lot happened since then, not the least of which was a new addition to our family. A new padawan will be making his first journey to DHS and SWW this year and we are SO excited!

My husband created our baby's nursery all on his own (well, I bought some stuff), so I will ever so briefly hijack our SWW thread to post a couple of pictures, but I love that room so dang much. He even sewed the window valances. SWW veterans will likely recognize at least a couple of items hanging around in there. Can't wait to get my SWW planning on in full force!

pixiedust: This nursery is AMAZING! pixiedust:

Greetings fellow SWW fans! I will be attending my very first SWW this year and could not be more excited! :yay: I read in the first post that people start lining up for autographs as early as 5 am. I won’t have a car, so I will be dependent on Disney buses to get me to the park. What time do the Disney buses start running on those days?

So grateful for this thread! My family and I are going to our very first SWW this May and couldn't be more excited. It is also my fiancé's FIRST :eek: trip to Disney. He is a HUGE Star Wars fan and since it's a short trip, he's a lot more interested in the entire experience of Disney and SWW than getting autographs and such. He does want to meet Vader, though. :darth: Thank you for taking the time to make this thread!

Congratulations on your new padawan!! Gorgeous nursery!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we might be going to the last Saturday and Sunday of SWW in 2014. My husband is a HUGE SW fan, and our son is getting into it too. We've always said it would be fun to go, but we would never, because we really HATE heat and crowds. Yet, here we are...:laughing:

If we go, we'd be travelling with our kids, plus a good friend of ours and her son, both of whom are also big SW fans. So, there would be 3 adults and 3 kids - a 3 year old girl, and two 7 year old boys.

My 3 year old daughter isn't really into SW. Will it be feasible to split up and try to do some other stuff with her sometimes too, or is the park going to be too packed to really make that work? Any advice on what to do to keep her entertained too? Aside from the Little Mermaid and Disney Jr shows, it seems there's not a heck of a lot for little kids to do at DHS. I'm not going to drag her around all day in the heat and make her wait in endless lines to meet characters she could care less about, so if it comes down to it, I'll just take her somewhere else entirely.

It looks like there are tons of SW characters in the park. We'll be skipping Jedi Training, and probably the theater/celebrity shows, in order to focus on the character meets. How many could we realistically see on that last Saturday and Sunday? I assume those days will probably be very crowded, since they're the last days of SWW for the year, right?

I'd also love some thoughts on where to stay. We're tossing around two different ideas for where to stay that weekend. On one hand, we're thinking of just staying at a value resort, to save money, as we don't expect to be in our rooms much at all. I'm sure our friend and her son in particular will be in the park open to close all weekend.

On the other hand, we're thinking of shelling out the extra money to stay at Beach Club, as the location and boat transportation to DHS sounds like it could be very convenient. I'm not sure if some of us (like my two kids, and maybe me too!) will end up needing to take a mid-day break in order to survive the weekend, so being able to take the boat back to Beach Club and take a quick swim or nap might be a lifesaver. Would that be feasible, or would leaving and re-entering the park take too much time to be worth it?

It looks like the major events during the day that we'll want to see at a specific time (based on last year) would be the motorcade at 11am, the Padawan Mind Challenge at 2:10 or 4:30pm, then the show on the hat stage at 8pm. I was thinking we could do character meets in the morning, see the motorcade at 11am, then potentially leave the park for a little while and come back for the 4:30pm Padawan show and stay until close. We'd try to do that on Saturday, then use Sunday as a day to do whatever we didn't get to on Saturday. Does that sound like a realistic plan?

I'm not going to lie, I'm sort of thinking this might be a terrible idea, as I expect the weather and crowds to be nearly unbearable, and I'm pretty concerned about meltdowns from people in our party. But, if we can have realistic expectations, and a decent game plan, then I think the Star Wars fans in our party will really enjoy it. So, I'll be watching this thread and reading as much as I can, to try to get any tips on how to make the most of the experience!

Not specifically, but if you go to the link on the first post from Kenny The Pirate he has all the detailed info on where and when to find the characters. The hardest to get are the ones that rotate. Some people get in line for Jedi Mickey, for example, and then after 40 minutes in line the character switches to, say Darth Goofy. So it's all about timing.

Once again many thanks for your help :)

This is our first time attending Star Wars weekends. I have older children and an 8 year old - are they allowed to be in costume (Jedi) and get into the park, or is it the no costumes for big people rule? I would hate to get there and be turned away because they are in costume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter