Official Star Wars Weekends 2014 Tips and Tricks -The Adventure Continues

Hey guys! I'm working at Star Wars Weekends (I don't want to get any more specific than that), and I want to thank you all for being awesome guests! I thought I'd make a post on how to make the most out of your character meeting experience. This is my opinion and doesn't reflect the views of the Disney company, but I know these tips will be helpful for anyone coming to SWW this year!

Autographs
Your autographs are going to look the best with a sharpie instead of a pen. Like 10x better. This goes for all characters, not just SWW ones. Also, please, please, please, have your autograph book out and ready to sign on a blank page. The character attendants repeat this like ten times. You're going to lose out on a portion of your interaction with a character if they have to stand around, flipping for a blank page. Also, most characters are wearing gloves, or have some sort of hand obstruction, so it's really difficult to flip through autograph books. On a side note, the most fun things for us to sign are things like picture frames, or books. To each their own, but please don't bring a note pad from the Hilton for characters to sign (you can buy autograph books for like $3 at the tourist shops!).

Conversations
Please keep your conversations relevant. If you ask Shaak Ti or Ahsoka how long it took to do their makeup, or why Anakin turns into Darth Vader, you're just going to make things awkward for yourself and for them. You're not going to trick them into breaking character. Character performers perform best as their character, not when they're making up diversions to your off-topic questions.

Roaming characters
Besides characters like Green Army Men, roaming is a new concept for many Disney goers, and sometimes can be frustrating. Please be aware that roaming characters are told to move around and not stay in one area for too long. This means having around 5-7 interactions per spot. When there's 20 or so people or families gathered around them, that means that not everyone is going to have a turn (unfortunately). My best advice is to follow behind them at a safe difference to their next location. Chances are, they'll remember you and give you a turn eventually. Keep in mind that ordinarily, you'd wait in a 30 minute (or more) queue for a character, so having to wait ten minutes isn't that bad, in comparison. Also, please don't make your own queues. A character like a bounty hunter isn't going to take kindly to being told by a mom who they should interact with next, and will probably just walk away. Roaming characters are there for atmosphere, not necessarily to be fair to everyone waiting to meet them. Be ready with your cameras already out, and realize that they definitely aren't going to have time to take a pictures with each member of your group individually.

I really hope this helps! Thanks for being so awesome!

We don't do character autographs, but I think your tips are excellent. Thanks for sharing from your perspective.

Only a small thing but when you look at the daily schedule for DHS they now have the SW logo next to the Conversation with MH Event, plus you can now click through on the link
There's been no picture and no click through option previously
Before you get excited, you just get a server is busy message when you do click through but something is at least happening!

Thanks for this. You are correct -- something is at least happening. Here's to hoping!

First off, this thread is the greatest! I've been following since it started and LOVE to hear about others great experiences. I'm headed there this weekend with a great friend and his two kids for their first SWW (my 3rd).

I am soo excited that last night I was able to score us a Feel the Force Premium Package for Saturday after it had been sold out (another trick I learned here - keep trying, someone may cancel). And I just have a quick question - what time should we get to the FtF area to get a good view of the parade?

I'm willing to go and hold a spot for however long for them, the kids are younger, so I want to just make sure they have a good view. Couple deep and the younger one won't be able to see.

Also any tips on where exactly in the area to be for the parade - any place better than the other?

I've read that for the fireworks, pretty much anywhere in the area is good - but any advice on that may help too.

I'm so excited - we booked the meals too (another thing that this board let me on to) - so I'm sure the kids are going to have a great time! (They don't even know yet - we leave on a Friday morning flight and won't tell them until Thursday night!)

Thanks for all the work and advice on the boards - esp Yulilin3 - you're the best! I'm as excited for this trip as I am because of all the work you've done here.

It was almost $200 for the 4 of us, so like $50 each. Honestly, I didn't pay that much attention, I was so happy to get it.

First off, this thread is the greatest! I've been following since it started and LOVE to hear about others great experiences. I'm headed there this weekend with a great friend and his two kids for their first SWW (my 3rd).

I am soo excited that last night I was able to score us a Feel the Force Premium Package for Saturday after it had been sold out (another trick I learned here - keep trying, someone may cancel). And I just have a quick question - what time should we get to the FtF area to get a good view of the parade?

I'm willing to go and hold a spot for however long for them, the kids are younger, so I want to just make sure they have a good view. Couple deep and the younger one won't be able to see.

Also any tips on where exactly in the area to be for the parade - any place better than the other?

I've read that for the fireworks, pretty much anywhere in the area is good - but any advice on that may help too.

I'm so excited - we booked the meals too (another thing that this board let me on to) - so I'm sure the kids are going to have a great time! (They don't even know yet - we leave on a Friday morning flight and won't tell them until Thursday night!)

Thanks for all the work and advice on the boards - esp Yulilin3 - you're the best! I'm as excited for this trip as I am because of all the work you've done here.

As you enter try to get a spot toward the right side, basically anywhere on Hollywood Blvd side of the street. Do not get a spot to your left (the street that goes to Star Tours)
For the fireworks the best area, IMO, is on the rail behind the table with the desserts
I hope we can meet during your trip

Thanks for this. You are correct -- something is at least happening. Here's to hoping!

We just noticed this too! I keep clicking hoping something will happen! We were too late for Stars of the Saga FP+, and we are so curious how this MH Meet and Greet will be handled….any thoughts? Speculation??
:worship:

Forgive me if this is somewhere in the previous 120 pages, but where exactly is the Information Desk/Sign up location to allow children to sign up to march in the parade? Thanks!

There is no sign up. The child needs to be invited by a cast member. My son was last invited as we were entering the gate. Another time he was asked by a celebrity. Another time asked while in the queue for the M&G of the Star Wars Rebel celebrity. Another time near the information desk at the front of the park, and once by the information desk by Sounds Dangerous. He turned down two of the invites because he was too hot. Each time he was in costume and he radiates enthusiasm for Star Wars. He loves, loves, loves Star Wars.

For Feel the Force, there is a designated kid's section and all the kids remain seated. They should have a great view.

We just noticed this too! I keep clicking hoping something will happen! We were too late for Stars of the Saga FP+, and we are so curious how this MH Meet and Greet will be handled….any thoughts? Speculation??
:worship:

It's not a meet and greet it's more like a Q&A with him. As soon as they post MH fp you'll see plenty of Stars of the Saga fp cause people can only get one from tier 1

Ok I wasn't going to address this but I just want to make things clear. In our original thread a person just posted some nasty comments about me and my "advice" I won't post it here but it's there if anyone wants to look. I am not giving you any specific times to go in the morning for celeb. autographs, or when to line up for the parade and/or shows I'm giving you my best guess, as someone who has gone to this event for the past 10 years in a row. It's up to all of you to take it or leave it The first week Ahmed Best's line was the longest as I thought it would be, the same for Warwick Davis this past weekend. I never said you needed to camp out for any of them In fact the only person I think is going to be the overnighter is this weeks Ratzenberger. Maybe arriving at 2am will be early enough for Ratzenberger but since he hasn't been here before I am not sure. The only reason I give an estimate on time is for you not to be bummed if you get up early and get to the park at 5am and can't get an autograph from Ray Park, or Billy Dee...like I said take it or leave it. I just want to help people get a better understanding of this event, it doesn't work like any other event at DIsney and many people don't know that. As always make your own decisions based on whats best for you and your family I'll end by saying so far I have met some wonderful families out there and I am really looking forward to meeting many more int he 3 weekends to come

Don't even give it a second thought. You have thousands of posts, and 10 SWW events under your belt. Even more if you consider the number of weeks each year that you attend. This person has 2 post total on the boards. This tells me it is a new person stirring the pot, or a long time Dis'er who is jealous that you are more knowledgable than they are.

The best thing we and I could have done is just ignore their post.

Hope to see you next weekend!!

Rick

Don't even give it a second thought. You have thousands of posts, and 10 SWW events under your belt. Even more if you consider the number of weeks each year that you attend. This person has 2 post total on the boards. This tells me it is a new person stirring the pot, or a long time Dis'er who is jealous that you are more knowledgable than they are.

The best thing we and I could have done is just ignore their post.

Hope to see you next weekend!!

Rick

Couldn't agree more :goodvibes
Not worth giving posts like that a second thought

THANK YOU to Yulilin and everyone for all the fantastic information and input on this thread. :goodvibes We got home very late last night from a wonderful weekend at Disney, with Saturday being dedicated to DHS and SWW. Here are a few things I thought might be worth mentioning (in no particular order!):

I think others have mentioned but to confirm, you DO get the 10% discount at the Mickey Jedi dinner at H&V when paying with Disney Visa. :thumbsup2 This is the only discount they will take (we are also AP and DVC).

We had the FtF package and didn't arrive at the park until about 9:30, having been at the MK 24-hour event until the wee hours. Got breakfast from Starring Rolls but there was no where to sit there, so we wandered toward Min & Bill's where there were picnic tables, and that was actually perfect because then we saw the check-in area for FtF -- and at 9:45, there was already a CM at the podium! By about 10:05 my DH went to start the line, which began to form behind him fairly shortly thereafter. Check-in was smooth and quick -- the CM had a list on a clipboard and once she verified the number in the party she gave out the wristbands and explained to keep them on for the evening dessert party and fireworks. Another group (not really a line) gathered on the left and we realized this was the VIP tour folks. We were all let in at the same time. They do have an area along the rope on the right side taped off for children; we didn't know what it was for when waiting so when they let us in I asked a CM and she told us. Perfect, we went to the rope at that spot and put DH and me on the left, and my three DDs on the right, so that we were "out" of the kids' spot and they were "in", but we were all in a row. The people behind us were very nice about not pushing forward and letting me in and out when I went to get ice creams and drinks. Everyone seemed very happy and respectful and we felt like we had a fantastic view of both the approaching parade (esp. because it was all kids on our right!) and the stage on our left. There were a few times when people on the street wanted to get IN and were not happy when told it was an advance-purchase preferred viewing event, and did not like it when CMs or FtF attendees prevented them from lifting the rope to go under. That part was interesting... :rolleyes: The CMs seemed quite vigilant about this which was great.

Middle DD and I saw Warwick Davis at the pool area (Yacht Club) on Thursday!! I was so surprised and starstruck and didn't say a word. Figured he was trying to enjoy himself and that was his time "off the clock" but man I wanted to at least say hello! I probably should have (if I was respectful and not asking for an autograph I'm sure he would have been fine), but anyway I didn't. But I SAW him!

I just received an email survey and it was mostly about our experience with FtF and the Jedi Mickey dinner. One interesting question was about whether we would repeat the FtF experience at slightly higher prices. Hmm. Mostly it was "how would you rate..." or "how did you hear about..." (why HERE, of course!), etc.

We missed the Jawas. KtP's site had them listed as having evening several sessions remaining, but when we tried to find them the handlers told us they were done for the evening (this was at about 6:20). So my advice here is to check early-ish if trading with the Jawas is important.

We couldn't get the Aurasma app to work in Darth's Mall. Bummer, but not a big deal.

There's a booth in Darth's Mall near the nametag area where you can make your own Lego X-wing for FREE! They have a template to follow (it is not a "design your own X-wing") and they are small, but this was fun for my girls (and my DH, who has about a billion Legos), and it was free, so that was nice. Overall our feeling on the merch was "meh".

Sorry we didn't meet any DISers -- we had DH's D-Tech-Me reservation right after the parade so that's where we headed.

My girls loved being in the FtF viewing area for the dance party with DJ Lobot -- there was room to dance (as opposed to the street which was really crowded). They had so much fun. The desserts and drinks were wonderful and plentiful. We have done the dessert party at MK and loved it, but they do start to break down the dessert buffet at a certain point and we definitely felt like they were sweeping us out immediately after the last firework went off. With FtF, CMs were encouraging everyone to take a snack or two with them, handing out soft drinks and bottles of water as we were leaving -- it was really nice to have the refreshments available throughout and not feel like you needed to rush to "get the good stuff before it's gone". Be sure you look at the platform UNDER the dessert displays...! ;)

Ok, sorry this got long and really isn't even that helpful, lol. I guess I'm just reliving it already! :)

Everyone whose trip is still coming up: HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Ok I wasn't going to address this but I just want to make things clear.
In our original thread a person just posted some nasty comments about me and my "advice"
I won't post it here but it's there if anyone wants to look.
I am not giving you any specific times to go in the morning for celeb. autographs, or when to line up for the parade and/or shows
I'm giving you my best guess, as someone who has gone to this event for the past 10 years in a row. It's up to all of you to take it or leave it
The first week Ahmed Best's line was the longest as I thought it would be, the same for Warwick Davis this past weekend. I never said you needed to camp out for any of them
In fact the only person I think is going to be the overnighter is this weeks Ratzenberger. Maybe arriving at 2am will be early enough for Ratzenberger but since he hasn't been here before I am not sure.
The only reason I give an estimate on time is for you not to be bummed if you get up early and get to the park at 5am and can't get an autograph from Ray Park, or Billy Dee...like I said take it or leave it.
I just want to help people get a better understanding of this event, it doesn't work like any other event at DIsney and many people don't know that.
As always make your own decisions based on whats best for you and your family
I'll end by saying so far I have met some wonderful families out there and I am really looking forward to meeting many more int he 3 weekends to come

As a total NEWBIE- I just want to say THANK YOU SOO MUCH for all of the advice- I would be completely lost without it! You are never going to please everyone 100% of the time, but dont let one person's opinion drown out everyone else's!

Sorry if old, but just got an email saying MH fast passes go up Friday at 8am.
Ughh just got real nervous!

I just got the email from Disney that confirms the separate show for MH. FP becomes available at 8am on 5/30. Good luck, everyone. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter