Official Star Wars Weekends 2013 Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be 8 of us and my DD7 is the shortest followed by her two cousins. I don't want to separate since I love watching my kids reactions. I'm not interested in the screen either....I can just pull it up on YouTube then.

Thanks for the advice though!

then you need to be there very early 2 hours plus or so the issue with hoopla is that its on the stage set up kinda like a rock concert.. well for people who arent very tall even slightly back its nearly impossible to see the stage at all due to people being in the way of your viewing angle. we werent back that far at all and my friend who isnt very tall could barely see the heads and there were kids crying near us who waited an hour and half or so like us that couldn't see the stage at all... also its going to be nearly impossible to just hold a spot for 8 people... people will be very pissed off if a big group pushes by them.

if you arent in a spot where they can see the stage like i said before make sure the screen from american idol to the left can be seen from where you are because thats the only way the little ones will be able to see whats going on if not they are just going to be looking at peoples backs the whole time.

1971DBday said:
Thanks. I'm usually the parade spot holder but I get my family back to the spot about 30-45 minutes before it starts. I was not familiar with the setup for HH but assumed this might be a problem of no path to get to me.

I was thinking of just initially holding it and as it starts to get even somewhat crowded to call them back to hold their spots. Here is hoping the last weekend isn't as intense as the first.

You won't be able to hold any spots. I suggest you plan to have a picnic and bring a deck of cards or something to pass the time. We've done it before with little kids and it is doable as long as you are prepared.

What are the crowds looking like at SWW. I am mostly wondering about rides and getting into the normal shows, restaurants, etc... Is it impossible to get around? Long Lines?

We find it sometimes a bit easier to ride the "big rides" at HS with SWW as many of the star wars freaks (myself very much included) all are too busy in long lines to take pictures with their fav SW characters.

Just curious how much they were? I made one out of polyester for my 5yo DS, cost me about $12 including the pattern and material. My 8yo DS is wearing a chewie satchel.

They were $55/each. The material is thick and nice and has the JTA logo on it. Also has Mickey ears. Expensive, but my kids love it.

Just wanted to say once again THANK YOU to everyone who was able to report back here so far! Lots of great info - & very cute pics - you are all very gracious with your time and I loved every post you managed to get on here! Very excited for next week and then finally my turn! :thanks:

I would like to second this! :thumbsup2:worship: It has been so great living vicariously through you all that took the time to post. I feel like we have the info now to make the most of our Friday and Saturday at our FIRST SWW!!!:banana:

First - thank you to everyone posting in this thread! I have been glued t it for days watching things unfold! We have a surprise trip planned starting on Wednesday - it's an 'extra' trip for us this year and we are going to surprise the kids for the first (and last!) time! They are WDW pro's but this trip will be a little different as we will have a specific agenda...checking out new fantasyland on Thursday and then DHS for SWW on Friday and some of Saturday...

I think we have narrowed down our targets to be generally characters from the original series...no need to get autographs from real stars, but seeing the Disney characters in costume will be important..possibly even more so than some of their real life counterparts...the kids are likely to be interested in Vader, r2d2/r2mk, the fab-4, and meeting a Fett (I don't think they will be picky!). I want a picture at the blister pack and with an ewok (haven't decided if I need wicket or if chip n dale will suffice..)...

We really want to see the storm trooper show but don't need to sign up for Jedi academy...will we be okay arriving at 7 via car? How about 7:15? Too late ? If DH went to stand in line for a character (Vader or chewy) that doesn't come out until 8/8:30 - is there a good recommended start yet? I am assuming that all rides are open whenever they do rope drop like any other day? Anyone happen to catch wait times for TSM and Star tours in the early mornings (7-10?)?

for the stormtroopers opening show you should be at the turnstiles by 7:15am since the park has been opening early, they start their show within a few minutes of the turnstiles opening....if you want Vader ar Chewie go there as soon as it opens since you'll still have the shortest amount of wait times even if they don't come out until 8am...On Sautrday we were there when it opened, saw the stormtrooper opening show (hilarious and almost all of it new, BTW) walked straight to Vader (I'm posting pictures and you'll see why Vader was a priority) passed TSMM (5 minute wait) people were taking pictures of the sign :D and had about 4 families in front of us, Vader come out at 8am sharp.

what is the fastest way to vader? and after him, who is next on the priority list? Darth Maul?

I was thinking of going to vader first, send the wife to wait for either chewie or Darth Maul followed by goint into Darth's mall for the characters there.

I consider myself an honorary Diser as I read the threads constantly, but don't post often :confused3 Maybe because y'all have more informative information than I and I'd rather not just add posts that are less informative.
I have a word document that I copy and pasted to several different headings of thing that suit our family from the 185 pages. I imagine I cannot post a word doc, here?

For those that went and stood in line at the turnstiles (not the FP autograph lines).... Do you know which side of the entry way the non RFID lines are? We have old park tickets and will need to find those lines so we are not jammed up.
We will be arriving Friday night of weekend 3 on a surprise trip for the kids DS 6, DD 8 (also Disney vets but never been to SWW). Since we arrive to Orlando around 1pm, I think we will try to check out MK and eat at Be Our Guest, figure out what park tickets we actually have at Guest Relations (how many days, any hoppers etc) then be up early for Saturday at SWW I assume that I cannot upgrade my old park passes to an RFID pass, just the AP???. JTA is a must and would love to get signed up, while the girls get FP for TSMM and then be in line for the Disney SW first thing. Coming from the CBR (thought of making the much discussed, on other threads, walk down Buena Vista Dr. to the Epcot-DHS Connector path but think now will just take a cab. Hope to be there before 7am. I would strongly dislike doing all the planning only to find that we are stuck in the one working non RFID line and put at a disadvantage. Wished I had gone for the AP, returning in October, now but alas advice on which line to look for would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Thanks for all the info, this thread is so great...I have not read any other Disboards!

Here are my impressions from this weekend (this might get long, Sorry in Advance)

People that have gone to SWW before on the first Friday know that Friday is the iffy day, meaning the CM don't have the system down, are a little bit lost, etc. Walking toward the entrance Friday morning I could see this was clearly the case. I arrived at 6:50 am and went to check out the autograph lines, still no writbands yet...I saw some CM friends that have worked the event before and when asked they just shook their heads and said "they are getting the wristbands now"...merchandise line was long and still outside the park but shortly after the wristbands arrived and the merch line went in...I counted 6 managers outside trying to get things organized...people got their celeb fp's and the park opened around 7:45am.

The stormtrooper show actually started before they let us in so we missed most of it, this was a problem that was fixed on Saturday

Walked with the line of people signing up for JTA, this part seemed organized and speedy

Went straight to Chip and Dale Ewoks line, the rope was set but no one was there, the Chewie line was almost to the DVC booth by the AIE audition entrance. People started asking me what was I in line for, when told, they looked at me like I was crazy but shortly after some people started joining me. Chip and Dale came out around 8:20am, they are the cutest...Chewie's line was loooong, later I learned that the "friend of Chewbacca" called in sick and they had to wait for the second "friend" to arrive...

After my pic with Chip and Dale I walked toward Premiere Theater, no characters in site, this was close to 9 am, went to Vaders area, packed already but Darth Maul was not out yet. I decided to check out the merchandise line at this point...all the way out on the RnRC courtyar, managers were estimating 5 hour wait to get inside.

Grabbed a shady spot for the parade and was happy I did, the sun was beating down strongly already...I cannot over emphasize, if you want to watch the motorcade grab your spot on the left side facing the stage as you'll get shade, I saw a poor kids almost fainting when he waited on the other side for an hour. Grab your spot at 9:30am at the latest, I'm not exagerating, it's a long wait but you'll be thankful in the end. Parade is about the same, with the addition of the new characters and the 2 new floats that carry the stormtroopers.

Lunch time, and this is another tip, grab your lunch after the parade, when I got to Backlot Express it was fairly empty, within 20 minutes it was a madhouse.

After lunch I walked around some more and the character lines were all long, the shortest was maybe 30 minutes...went to the merch tent around 2pm I had promised my daughter to get the Her Universe necklace, waited 30 min, to get inside and another 45min to get the necklace and pay, once inside you don't mind the wait that much because the A/C feels awesome.

On Saturday it was character day for us, straight to Vader at opening, then got Darth Goofy and Chip and Dale again, saw Behind the Force and Stars of the Saga (the pre show is the best, with the stormtroopers, get in line for Stars of the Saga by 3pm so you don't miss it) and wait for Hoopla.

So now here are my issues:
If it ain't broken don't fix it!!
Merchandise line in the morning: people arrived at the park at the wee hours of the morning to stand in line outside for merchandise, once the got in they had to wait some more to go inside the tent, this was expected from all, but...after the people waited some 8 hours (outside and inside ) if you wanted LE things you had to pay for them right there and then if you wanted things from the general area you had to go outside and make the line again?!?!? not smart, in the past you picked up your LE merchandise and you could go browse the general area and then pay.

Character lines: first of all don't put on the map that characters are out from 8am to 7:30pm when most of them don't come out until 9am and go their lines close before 7pm, people don't get that you have to close the line earlier so they have time to meet the families in line and go get ready for Hoopla
Second this issue with the rotating characters, all new CM manning the characters lines that don't understand the concept of letting a family go in front of you doesn't create a double line...when I asked a CM she said: we don;t have space to create a double line, if it's your turn you have to meet whoever is there...no, it's not a double line if I let a family go infront of me...

Hoopla spot: This one is just for those who knew about my "secret" awesome spot next to the Sound Tent from last year...You could sit on the ledge there (so you're not waiting for 4 hour standing up os sitting on the floor) it's shady and when Hoopla started you could stand on the ledge and watch without blocking anyone behind because behind you was just trees and grass. On Friday I wasn't weatching Hoopla but I did walk thru the area around 7pm and saw my spot deserted and a CM standing there, I asked and she said this was a VIP section now, that's fine. t's an awesome spot and VIP didn't really have an area since the show moved to the Hat Stage. On Saturday my daughter and I decided to grab the other side of the ledge, a little closer to the stage so it was a more obstructed view but still afterstanding up you could see fairly well, we went at 4:30pm and there was people holding spots on the VIP ledge, I had seen these ladies during many SWW, they are regulars to the event, so I politely approached them and told them what the CM told me the day before, they were surprised because, as I did, that was their favorite spot and CMs and magaers had walked by them and not told them anything...I said that I just wanted to let them know in case they wanted to find another spot. They said Thank you but they were staying there.....hours passed, around 6:30pm CM started taping the place, they placed the white tape along with red tape in that area, saw the ladies obviously holding spots and didn't say anything...around 7pm all the CM in charge of Hoopla area met in the corner and I saw them pointing to the ladies and the VIP spot, one of them approached them, at 7pm after they had been in that spot since 3pm and told them they had to move...the ladies very politely stood their ground, the CM said, no they had to movem after a lot of back and forth they were allowed to stay but only for that day...now, I'm very happy for them but if you're going to have a VIP spot why not have a CM there from early in the afternoon letting people know, they know that people grab spots for hoopla hours in advance why go thru that?
Hoopla was about 3 minutes to start, everyone sitting on the ledge (VIP and my side as well) was standing up on the ledge to watch, what's the point of grabbing a spot 4 hours in advance to not be able to see right? yo think the CM would figure that one out...a CM approached me, 3 minutes to the show and told me I can't stand on the ledge, I explained to her that this was done last year and that's the hold point of getting there that early, she was fessed up, she just did a hand gesture, like, I'm done with all you crazy SW people and left me still trying to explain to her why...everyone on the ledge thanked me.
Now, this is not your first SWW Disney, please don't try to change things that are working fine...now the story about the wristbands and giving them to your child, this has happened in the past, you're not adding a person to the autograph line, it's a mom or dad that are giving it to their child...the world will not end and the line won't get longer because of it...chillax Disney.

I'm posting videos of lines, merchandis and parade shortly and also my photos of weekend one....again sorry for the long rant.

what is the fastest way to vader? and after him, who is next on the priority list? Darth Maul?

I was thinking of going to vader first, send the wife to wait for either chewie or Darth Maul followed by goint into Darth's mall for the characters there.
For Vader just head toward TSMM and keep walking...sending someone to Chewbacca's line is a good idea.

I consider myself an honorary Diser as I read the threads constantly, but don't post often :confused3 Maybe because y'all have more informative information than I and I'd rather not just add posts that are less informative.
I have a word document that I copy and pasted to several different headings of thing that suit our family from the 185 pages. I imagine I cannot post a word doc, here?

For those that went and stood in line at the turnstiles (not the FP autograph lines).... Do you know which side of the entry way the non RFID lines are? We have old park tickets and will need to find those lines so we are not jammed up.
We will be arriving Friday night of weekend 3 on a surprise trip for the kids DS 6, DD 8 (also Disney vets but never been to SWW). Since we arrive to Orlando around 1pm, I think we will try to check out MK and eat at Be Our Guest, figure out what park tickets we actually have at Guest Relations (how many days, any hoppers etc) then be up early for Saturday at SWW I assume that I cannot upgrade my old park passes to an RFID pass, just the AP???. JTA is a must and would love to get signed up, while the girls get FP for TSMM and then be in line for the Disney SW first thing. Coming from the CBR (thought of making the much discussed, on other threads, walk down Buena Vista Dr. to the Epcot-DHS Connector path but think now will just take a cab. Hope to be there before 7am. I would strongly dislike doing all the planning only to find that we are stuck in the one working non RFID line and put at a disadvantage. Wished I had gone for the AP, returning in October, now but alas advice on which line to look for would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Thanks for all the info, this thread is so great...I have not read any other Disboards!

The RFID turnstiles are to the right of the entrance, the regular, paper ticket turnstiles are to your left...good idea about taking a cab. Not sure if you buy just day tickets if you would still get a paper pass thougfh...maybe someone here knows better about tickets

What time do the busses from the resorts (AKL) start running? My DS wants to do JTA and we won't have a car this year.

We took a cab from the contemporary to HS. It was about $22 with tip. Well worth the hassle. Saved us some time in the morning. Valet service at your resort can call for you, just be sure to request car seats if you need them.

The RFID turnstiles are to the right of the entrance, the regular, paper ticket turnstiles are to your left...good idea about taking a cab. Not sure if you buy just day tickets if you would still get a paper pass thougfh...maybe someone here knows better about tickets

THANK YOU!!. We wouldn't be buying new day pass tickets, we just have a collection of tickets from previous trips that have the non-expired option. Unfortunately, I am just not sure what those tickets have left on them for days and options. Maybe I will get "lucky" on Friday when I go to Guest Relations and they will convert. Otherwise I know where to stand now!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!. We wouldn't be buying new day pass tickets, we just have a collection of tickets from previous trips that have the non-expired option. Unfortunately, I am just not sure what those tickets have left on them for days and options. Maybe I will get "lucky" on Friday when I go to Guest Relations and they will convert. Otherwise I know where to stand now!!!!!!!

Ok, I didn't understand what type of tickets you had...just be advised that the paper turnstiles go very slow, and from all of the tusntiles at DHS only about 25% of them are for paper tickets, all other are for RFID.

Thank you EVERYONE who went this weekend and posted their experiences. Every year that I read about the Weekend 1 chaos I thank my lucky stars that we don't go until Weekend 4 and some of the kinks can be worked out.

I'm really looking forward to the Weekend 2 reports before I start thinking about a more specific plan of attack for seeing which characters when.

Thanks again!! :goodvibes

Just want to add another THANK YOU to those of you sharing your experiences/knowledge. I feel so much more prepared for our trip in a couple of weeks. I think I'd be really overwhelmed without all of the helpful advice from everyone here. :)

Here are the videos:
this first one is just walking around, general lines for characters around 8:30am and the merchandise tent around 2pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrBgyive7I4

this is the first part of the parade where the Disney SW, JTA kids and 501st and Rebel Legions come out...youtube muted it because of copyright problems, I'll still post it here inc ase you want to look at it, do any one of you know how to get this fixed?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzSCm_Seohc

this is the second part of the parade, audio and all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKqkHDChjFw

and here are pictures from weekend one, you can see me and my daughter in a couple of them:
http://s283.photobucket.com/user/yu...ia&page=1&_suid=13690616016510179670395035537

We had a potential problem on Friday, but spoke with Erin and (I could have swore his name was Mark, but today his name tag said Kurt). They were able to help us to avert any conflicts.

Very well could have been either name...

When we checked in last girl the girl said hi my name is... and I looked at her nametag and it was different so I questioned her...

She told me they have to have a nametag on so if they forget theirs they have a few other nametags that they can just grab one...

Nope sure how this works if you are complaining or even praising someone...how would they know who it it...

Yulilin, thank you for all the detail you've provided! It's so helpful for those of us who will be there in a few weeks!

Anyone know how to become a VIP to score the VIP seating for Hoopla?

Yulilin, thank you for all the detail you've provided! It's so helpful for those of us who will be there in a few weeks!

Anyone know how to become a VIP to score the VIP seating for Hoopla?

I know that some cast Members that work for the event can put their names on the list, also on Saturday Ashley Ecksten and her family were there but inside the sound tent...maybe if you hire one of the VIP guest relation people for the day....

Where can we buy the Starwars CARS? I know my DS (ok, DH :rotfl2:) will want to get at least one. Are they only sold inside Darth Mall? Or can we get them at any of the other shops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter