Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

That would be cool! The trailer looked cool, reminds of reading some of the books (that I know aren't canon anymore but still...)

Also I emailed RunDisney on the Kessel Medal to clear things up (no lightside for me however & not sure if this was already posted, if so sorry for repeating) & wanted to share how they state it's 3 races to get both kessel & c2c, not sure why they don't spell it out online....

Thank you for contacting us regarding the runDisney Coast to Coast Race Challenge.

My apologies for the confusion. We appreciate your commitment to the runDisney Kessel Run Challenge. You must complete the Star Wars Half Marathon or Star Wars Rebel Challenge at the Disneyland Resort and Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side or Star Wars Dark Side Challenge at the Walt Disney World Resort in one calendar year. A calendar year is defined as January 1 to December 31.

If you desire to earn the original Coast to Coast medal, you will need to complete a third half marathon or longer at the Walt Disney World Resort or the Disneyland Resort within the same calendar year. Further information about the runDisney Coast to Coast Race Challenge is available at runDisney.com/coast-to-coast-race-challenge on the Program tab

Jeanne, we hope this information is helpful. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,

Sarah Doyle Guest Experience Services

runDisney

Email: runDisney@disneysports.com

At least it doesn't matter what coast you run that third race on. I am running Light and Dark Side, but hoping to run Lumiere's Challenge again next year so I can be legacy for it so that would earn me the regular blue C2C medal if I'm reading that right.

At least it doesn't matter what coast you run that third race on. I am running Light and Dark Side, but hoping to run Lumiere's Challenge again next year so I can be legacy for it so that would earn me the regular blue C2C medal if I'm reading that right.

You would think they could put that information up on the website, there is something similar for the CC and Pink CC medals.

Other than that, RD is handing out medals like they are cheap and not expensive to make ;)

That would be cool! The trailer looked cool, reminds of reading some of the books (that I know aren't canon anymore but still...)

Also I emailed RunDisney on the Kessel Medal to clear things up (no lightside for me however & not sure if this was already posted, if so sorry for repeating) & wanted to share how they state it's 3 races to get both kessel & c2c, not sure why they don't spell it out online....

Thank you for contacting us regarding the runDisney Coast to Coast Race Challenge.

My apologies for the confusion. We appreciate your commitment to the runDisney Kessel Run Challenge. You must complete the Star Wars Half Marathon or Star Wars Rebel Challenge at the Disneyland Resort and Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side or Star Wars Dark Side Challenge at the Walt Disney World Resort in one calendar year. A calendar year is defined as January 1 to December 31.

If you desire to earn the original Coast to Coast medal, you will need to complete a third half marathon or longer at the Walt Disney World Resort or the Disneyland Resort within the same calendar year. Further information about the runDisney Coast to Coast Race Challenge is available at runDisney.com/coast-to-coast-race-challenge on the Program tab

Jeanne, we hope this information is helpful. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,

Sarah Doyle Guest Experience Services

runDisney

Email: runDisney@disneysports.com

This is interesting. They were definitely handing out blue C2C medals and Kessel Run medals to those who did Light Side and Dark Side this year. Even odds on whether this is a change of policy or whether it's just bad info from an rD source...

This is interesting. They were definitely handing out blue C2C medals and Kessel Run medals to those who did Light Side and Dark Side this year. Even odds on whether this is a change of policy or whether it's just bad info from an rD source...
I agree they definitely were giving out the kessel and blue c2c at Darkside. The event guide for the Disneyland half, that just came out yesterday, even says "For the first time in 2016, the same race can be used for multiple challenges!"(edit to say I see now that line could be interpreted either way) However at Darkside the only race at DL at that point was Lightside so if that was the case they should have only given out kessel run medals.

Last edited:

I agree they definitely were giving out the kessel and blue c2c at Darkside. The event guide for the Disneyland half, that just came out yesterday, even says "For the first time in 2016, the same race can be used for multiple challenges!"(edit to say I see now that line could be interpreted either way) However at Darkside the only race at DL at that point was Lightside so if that was the case they should have only given out kessel run medals.

Except they could have run Marathon weekend the weekend before The Light Side race.

I priced out SOG yesterday, but haven't been able to commit to it. I'll have to talk to my running buddy and see what she thinks.
Honestly, I only booked it to know we have it. If I can get cheaper at a Disney property I will. I hate how they tier their pricing and that we pay the highest now that we are retired. At $145 a night, I'm sure I can do better elsewhere.

I am assuming that Kessel runners in 2017 will also get the C2C. I can't interpret the underlined sentence any differently, but I've been fooled before.

From the page linked: http://www.rundisney.com/coast-to-coast-race-challenge/
2017 Program

"Do you want the ultimate test in endurance with a Disney twist? Then join the runDisney Coast to Coast Race Challenge! If you complete a runDisney half marathon or marathon at the Walt Disney World® Resort and a half marathon at theDisneyland® Resort in the same calendar year, then you will receive a Coast to Coast Race Challenge medal commemorating your achievement!

Plus, the same race can be used for multiple challenges! Do you have what it takes to face the Challenge? Run one challenge — or run them all — the choice is yours! All races must be completed in the same calendar year.

runDisney Coast to Coast Race Challenge
It's the original Coast to Coast Race Challenge. Complete a runDisney half marathon or marathon at the Walt Disney World® Resort and a half marathon at the Disneyland® Resort and receive a Coast to Coast Race Challenge Medal celebrating your achievement.

runDisney Kessel Run Challenge
"Let the Force be with you!" during the Kessel Run Challenge. Take this galactic challenge and earn your Kessel Run Commemorative Medal by participating in either the Star Wars Half Marathon/Rebel Challenge at the Disneyland® Resort and the Star Wars Half Marathon at the Walt Disney World® Resort."

Except they could have run Marathon weekend the weekend before The Light Side race.
No you need a race at WDW and a race at DL, so at that point the only race that happened at DL was Lightside so if you were getting your c2c at Darkside it should have only been the Kessel run medal according to what that rundisney person said but they were giving out both, if you ran marathon weekend and than Lightside you would have gotten the blue c2c at Lightside

No you need a race at WDW and a race at DL, so at that point the only race that happened at DL was Lightside so if you were getting your c2c at Darkside it should have only been the Kessel run medal according to what that rundisney person said but they were giving out both, if you ran marathon weekend and than Lightside you would have gotten the blue c2c at Lightside
Yep, I get it now. Thanks for spelling it out for me. I don't know why that didn't occur to me a second ago. :)

If it means anything...I got confused just reading (and re-reading) all your posts til I got it straight too. :headache:

They had not. I spoke directly with some of the runners that had multiple wristbands and they had only done Light Side and got both Kessel and C2C upon completion of SWDS.

I agree, the wording is super confusing and does make it sound like you get the C2C by simply running one half at WDW and one at DL. They should clarify on the site if you need to run a 3rd race.

Keep in mind, whoever you talk to or communicate with at runDisney isn't the final authority. Last year, we were all (or nearly all) under the impression that you only got the Kessel Run if you did Light and Dark, as that is what many people were told. It wasn't until folks showed up to the expo and got two challenge wrist bands that we realized we would be getting both. ('We' being almost all of us on the thread for last year's Dark Side.) The language about getting two challenges at once was added very late.

So... we won't know for sure until pics start coming in from the early expo people.

What they should do is specifically list race combinations and what medals you'll get on the site to avoid confusion. I originally emailed them because they have the word "either" in the kessel run description instead of "both", which makes it confusing & figured why not email them. I don't think they spend much time on the website sadly.

Honestly, I only booked it to know we have it. If I can get cheaper at a Disney property I will. I hate how they tier their pricing and that we pay the highest now that we are retired. At $145 a night, I'm sure I can do better elsewhere.

We're retired as of a few months ago, but our rank is still Cat. 2, and honestly that's why I've not booked there before because the Disney discount normally got me a better deal. (That and my husband is obsessed with the dining plan and we can't do that at Shades, but that's not a deal breaker for me personally.) I'm just waiting on that military discount to be released! I was hoping to book a Disneyland hotel for LS with the discount, but booked at Stovalls just in case. I have a little time before I'm too worried at WDW for Dark Side. Guess I'll just hold out for the time being.

Keep in mind, whoever you talk to or communicate with at runDisney isn't the final authority. Last year, we were all (or nearly all) under the impression that you only got the Kessel Run if you did Light and Dark, as that is what many people were told. It wasn't until folks showed up to the expo and got two challenge wrist bands that we realized we would be getting both. ('We' being almost all of us on the thread for last year's Dark Side.) The language about getting two challenges at once was added very late.

So... we won't know for sure until pics start coming in from the early expo people.

I'll probably be there early, but always hit the merchandise first, then get my bibs, etc. But I'll check to see if someone else has posted and share what I find.

Since I earned the regular Coast to Coast medal in 2012, I won't be devastated if they discontinue this after just the one year. Sure I'd like to get both the Kessel Run and Coast to Coast, but since I planned on the Kessel Run only from the moment it was announced, I won't get too worked up if they change back.

For those looking to save money...

I'm hesitant to tell too many people these first two secrets, but I'm a super nice guy, so here is what we have learned through experience:

Secret #1: It's faster to drive everywhere, even from a few miles outside the gates.

Secret #2: Airbnb or VRBO.

Not-so-secret #3: Extra Magic Hours, while nice, gives you more mileage as a guide to which park to avoid that day.

Not-so-secret #4: Unless you eat about 4000+ calories a day, the meal plan doesn't save money.

I would offer more, but I've said too much already...

(EDIT: Ultimate not-so-secret: Disney's extras are for convenience, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, Disney offers appears to save time or money... unless you take two trips in a year, then the annual pass works out.)

Last year I did both Lightside and Darkside challenges and was surprised to get both the C2C and Kessel Run medals. The same thing happened to my wife who ran the Princess 1/2 and Tinkerbell 1/2 and got not only a C2C but the limited edition pink C2C medal after doing both races. I personally think we'll be getting the same again in 2017 but if I don't and just get a Kessel Run, that's fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter