**Official** Star Wars at DHS, Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party/Galactic Nights/Launch Bay/JT

I for one am keeping my trip in June that i booked that would have covered the last star wars weekend. Guys new scenes in star tours, new awesome star wars rebels JTA, Launch Bay which is going to be amazing, character meets inside, and a cool little film saga thing. Plus I am sure merch and special food treats as well as fireworks beginning in Jan. (they may not be around for my trip but that's ok) All of this stuff is awesome and as a massive star wars fan, star wars media and a star wars blogger and podcaster I am still pumped. I will be at opening day for Season of the force at DL i can let you guys know how that goes it will also be in my trip report in my signature. Sure it would have been great for my nephew to see SWW but he's gonna be just as excited to see all this other stuff too.

May the force be with all of you!

I am sad but still happy!!! STAR WARS LAND

1. New scene? Big whoop.

2. New JTA? I'm not a kid, nor do I have any...so big whoop to that.

3. Launch Bay is going to be amazing? Perhaps. They said that about 7DMT.

4. Character meets? Vader and Chewie, but no Disney characters dressed up, no Rebel hangar, no Sci-Fi Disney meal, no meet and greets with the actors, no panel discussions...

5. Cool film saga thing? You mean I can sit and watch clips from the movie I've seen 100 times, and can watch for free at home?

5. I am POSITIVE there will be merch and food. That's more money in their pockets.

6. Fireworks...yay...and it's not okay with me if they are not around for my trip in May.

YMMV. #yeahI'mbitter

I think if you understand what Disney has been doing recently with park entertainment then you know that Star Wars Weekends are dead forever. There is always some excuse like "We had to stop it because of park construction" but we can all do the math and realize that A) there are plenty of other areas where Star Wars Weekends events could have been held and B) lame excuses are all you get these days (Besides over priced "up-charge" events) from the people that are making the decisions concerning the parks.

We won't be seeing any Star Wars land openings until 2021 at the earliest. Don't believe me? Then check out the much delayed timetable for the opening of Pandora at Animal kingdom or the eternity it took to fully open the new Fantasyland expansion complete with 1 themed room for the 7 Dwarfs RIDE and the ancient technology still in play on the Little Mermaid ride.

Disney is depending on guests paying way more to get way less. That's all that we can expect these days and Star Wars Weekends will not ever be resurrected, period, as there is no way to charge another $100 dollar admission for that event on top of the $95 they con guests into paying for admittance to a park that has less and less to enjoy.

So enjoy the one Star Wars themed room they are going to open in December. It will be filled with moldy movie props, perhaps some wooden character cut outs that you can pose with and interactive electronics that will be perpetually broken a la Test Track. Oh and we can't forget the gift shop, because that will be the main point of that whole experience. Less for more $$$, less for more $$$, it's only about how little people are willing to settle for, how far can we sucker them in? So Sad....

~NM

Did I mention, how awesome it is now that our trip is two weeks out, that I can't switch around my dining reservations for Disney Jr Play & Dine so we can switch our park days so my son- who is completely devastated, can at least see the crappy replacement because- surprise, there are no available reservations 2 weeks out...

Fantastic!

Ok, Second rant over...
we were there last week and tons of ADRs were available the day before due to cancellations. Keep checking.

I have not read one positive reaction on any web site to this announcement, aside from the oddly super excited handful of people that responded on the DPB. I keep thinking back to the OP that had a conversation with a CM who told her "Disney is listening!" They listened all right, and told us exactly where we can take our Star Wars Weekends.

I would have loved to be in on the meeting where these geniuses put their heads together and said... "No one will care if we cancel it! We're going to have a room!!! WITH STUFF IN IT!!! Now, who wants Chipotle?"

I would also like to emphasize that I am ONLY keeping my posts here G and PG rated because of the board. My thoughts are VERY VERY R rated bordering on NC-17... Just sayin'

Like others, I believe this totally sucks. I had always told my son that one day I'd take him to SWW. I was gonna do this past May, but couldn't justify 2 trips so close together (we had been in October for his sisters birthday). So in secret I planned our trip for next June. I guess the only upside for me is the fact that he doesn't know we are going. Trying to decided if I should show him that Star Wars weekends has forever been canceled then my surprise trip will really be a surprise. We are still going to go, it is a trip just the 2 of us. I guess we can spend less time at HS, and do more other stuff. Looks like we can split a day between AK and HS since they are both such "not much to do" parks.

Has anyone that wrote to Disney about this gotten a response yet? I'm curious about what they might be saying.

we were there last week and tons of ADRs were available the day before due to cancellations. Keep checking.

I hope so, at this point though, the only reason I'm even considering trying, is because of my oldest. We can always hop a bus to DHS on an early evening to see the WONDER that is Launch Bay... Somehow, I don't think it's going to be all that long of a wait once people see exactly what is replacing Star Wars Weekends.

This surprises me. They could have really pushed the new area during SWW.

There isn't much reason to go to DHS any more. I'm insisting on it during this trip just to see the last Osborne Lights. I was recently thinking that SWW was another good reason to go but now they're both gone.

Has anyone that wrote to Disney about this gotten a response yet? I'm curious about what they might be saying.

I wrote right after the announcement earlier (you can see my email a few pages back), and have heard nothing. I'm guessing I will either get no response since I did say I was cancelling my reservation or some bs about how there so many exciting things planned for Spring and a list of stuff I have no interest in, rounded off with a "Have a Magical Day!!!"

Very sad. Just got home from Wine and Dine. Definitely wasn't expecting this! And I just booked yacht club for 9 night to cover 2 sww. We will make one last trip probably for a longish trip before our seasonal passes expire. It probably wont be in May. And it will include 3 days at Universal as we had planned.

On the plus side...we wont need to stay with walking distance to HS. We also wont renew our passes. We will get to see SOTF when we go to DL for the half marathon in Jan.

DS and I have gone for 3 years. It has been a wonderful mother/son experience for us. By the time SW land is open he wont want to hang with mom the same way he does now. And that makes me sad. He already doesn't care about meeting characters except the SWW ones.

We still have 8 days on non-expiring tickets so we will still go for a couple of trips but it wont be the same. We may be back as passholders at some future date but for now the expense just wont be worthwhile.

On the plus side we now have more opportunities to go other places on vacation too.

I'm trying to get caught up on this thread & I join with everyone in how disappointed my family is with the cancellation of SWW, not only because it was quickly becoming a favorite family tradition for us, but the depth of the disappointment mainly hits strongest because of the poor communication & planning on Disney's part. Surely these weekends make Disney a ton of money, I would venture to guess far more than Osborne lights. That being said, one would have thought it would only be in everyone's interest to pay it forward a little to those customers that pay that money out in the form of warning of a last year, or even earlier announcement at D23 given the knowledge that many book a year in advance.

A big thank you to Yulady, you have been a tremendous help over the years. Your time & energy in putting all of this information together was spectacular.

I'm left with a few questions perhaps someone could help with. I apologize if I missed the answers in the pages from the announcement. From what I gather we think SoTF is still happening in WDW, but they just haven't officially posted the dates (even though they did earlier & then took them down), correct? Was it omitted from the things to come in the blog? I missed it.

I know the thought is that Launch Bay may have a soft opening 11/27-28. Would that likely mean it would be open to the public after that? I thought I saw someone say Launch Bay may be FP+?

For those of us who have purchased the SW movie event, is the thought now that all that will be included for this event is the preview to the movie a day early (which you can't guarantee your party will sit together unless you wait all day in line), after-hours viewing of the Launch Bay (which on 12/17, might already be open & a FP+ option?), after-hours viewing of the new Star Tours scene (which is a FP+ option already), a dance party, & a commemorative ticket? Is that right?

I'm confused? I just read two days ago on the Disney website that SWW were coming next summer. What changed?

That page is the same every year. After SWW ends, they just change the dates to the next year as a placeholder. As a matter of fact, the page was up until about an hour after they made the announcement.

What has many people here up in arms is that recently, folks had been getting email responses from Disney confirming SWW.

I'm confused? I just read two days ago on the Disney website that SWW were coming next summer. What changed?
Disney kept that announcement flying until they were ready to announce the cancelation. Unfortunately, Sales CMs kept referring to this website info when they responded to guests.

Disney had to get beyond the merchandise blitz of September 4th, the opening ticket sales of The Force Awakens along with the accompanying special event at DHS on December 17th, and finally, with SotF opening soon in DL, only then would they finally announce what had been expected.

yulilin3 did a great job of presenting all the info and keeping everyone informed. Our family had a great SWW '14 day thanks to yulilin and her info and insights. Now, I'm looking forward to her Launch Bay and SotF info for my upcoming February trip!

Last edited:
I can only check 30 days at a time, but up to Dec. 9th nothing is offered

I have fast passes booked in Hollywood Studios on Jan. 2nd and I just tried to change any of them to Launch bay and it's not listed as an option (tier 1 or tier 2).

OK, I swear that the page for Launch Bay said "Fastpass offered" when I looked earlier. But now it does not. So that was either fixed or they want to open the FP+ secretly.

I have not been on the boards for awhile ...
Very dissappointed that there will be no more Star Wars Weekends. We have been going for years and already booked the Boardwalk for the second week in May.

We will be at HS on December 17th. Was only planning on seeing the Holiday Lights. Is there something else going on that night at the studios ???

When is Launch Bay opening? I don't expect much from that but at least it's a new attraction to help w/ the closed attractions

First they took away Hyperspace Hoopla my favorite show ever and now they took away the whole Star Wars Weekends.

I am so disappointed!
We went every year for SWW I just can't believe something so popular is over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter