• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Seattle information thread Updated 5/28/2014-Oso update

He had an exhiibit here at our Botantical Garden and it was breathtaking to see his art blended with the cactus at the garden. I could spend hours looking at it.

This I think I would like. The one piece of his that I've enjoyed was an instillation that worked with an indoor waterfall.

I don't know how much of his work you have seen?

A LOT. Granted, most of it is chandeliers. I think that is where the annoyance at a museum dedicated to him comes from. You can't walk into a major building in this city without seeing one of them, and they are all so similar that it doesn't seem like a museum would be worth it. If the museum has the bent of what Disneyfaninaz was talking about, with the art blended in with botanicals, then I'll give it a chance.

So, my boyfriend and I are driving down to the port from Nevada and are planning on parking our rental car at the airport for the whole week. Can anyone tell me which long term parking plan would be the best for us? Trying to save wherever we can lol. TIA!!

Thanks guys for the answers to my questions! I really appreciate it, Oh and also I did find out that they have a Tentative Opening Date for the Chihuly Garden & Glass for May 21st, keep in mind it is only tentative, but if I hear anything else I will post it :thumbsup2 Their facebook page says that they will start selling tickets about 30 days prior to opening, so hopefully late April if anyone is interested.

Nice..thanks for that info. We will be there. Were bound to run into each other. Before the cruise:thumbsup2

So, my boyfriend and I are driving down to the port from Nevada and are planning on parking our rental car at the airport for the whole week. Can anyone tell me which long term parking plan would be the best for us? Trying to save wherever we can lol. TIA!!

It might be better to return the rental car before the cruise and then rent again after the cruise to get back,

We have used Doug Fox at the airport.

It might be better to return the rental car before the cruise and then rent again after the cruise to get back,

We have used Doug Fox at the airport.

Thats what I was thinking as well! However, now it looks like we will be driving our own car down instead of renting one. Is Doug Fox a rental place or a parking area?

Our SEATAC standby for parking is "Masterpark" lot C. They have A, B, C lots, and a parking garage, but lot C is the first one you come to after getting off the freeway, so why not?! You'll have to shuttle to the terminal wherever you are.

They have regular coupons at their website (their name dot com) and are tops in service as far as valet service to take your car, check in service, and picking up the car (ready for you as you tell them when you are returning).

There are a couple lots in the same area that cost a bit less, but have way less service and security. We are willing to pay their weekly rate, and NEVER stress about airport pick up, security or service.

Maybe that will help! :goodvibes

My favorite airport parking is in the garage at MasterPark. For a one week stay the regular lots are $12 per day and the garage is $14 per day - or $14 more than parking in the regular lot for a week.
I find the extra cost worth it because the garage is covered and includes valet parking. Being out of the potential rain when you empty the trunk on arrival or load the trunk prior to departure is nice, and when I travel with my family I love having them take care of the car so I don't have to haul my luggage across the lot.
If you use MasterPark, you can print out a coupon beforehand or make a reservation online. If you use the reservation form, be sure to bring a printout of your reservation - I have had my reservation "lost" once or twice.

That being said, how do you plan to get to the port and how much will it cost? If you park at the cruise terminal they will charge you for eight days of parking; if you prepay online it will come to $175 - which comes to $77 more than the cost of parking in the garage at MasterPark or $91 more than one of their outdoor lots. I don't know what Disney is charging for transfers, but United Town Car costs $100 for the round trip and Shuttle Express charges $84 round trip for two people.

Assuming you park a rental for a week, or drive your own car, you will likely be better off parking at the cruise terminal.

One last thing to consider, since you are driving in, is a park, stay, and cruise package from a hotel. At the Choice Hotels website I found a few hotels offering these packages. You'll probably be spending a night in Seattle before your cruise anyway, so one of these packages be cheaper than separate hotel and parking.

So my family of 4 is flying into Seattle on the Saturday before our cruise leaves on Monday. We need to rent a car that night to drive to see family in olympia on Sunday (as well as get to our hotel). Our concern/questions are... if we return the car to the airport on Monday morning - what are our options to get to the cruise terminal? we are traveling with a 90 year old so public transportation is not our best option. Do any rental agencies pick up cars at hotels so that we can maybe take a shuttle that's closer to the pier vs from the airport?

So my family of 4 is flying into Seattle on the Saturday before our cruise leaves on Monday. We need to rent a car that night to drive to see family in olympia on Sunday (as well as get to our hotel). Our concern/questions are... if we return the car to the airport on Monday morning - what are our options to get to the cruise terminal? we are traveling with a 90 year old so public transportation is not our best option. Do any rental agencies pick up cars at hotels so that we can maybe take a shuttle that's closer to the pier vs from the airport?

This would probably be your least expensive private option to get to the cruise terminal from the airport: Eastside for Hire

I would also try Alamo and National Car Rental agencies. Alamo will pick up and drop off at the Seattle Downtown Hilton, and National will as well--they may also allow you to pick up and drop off at the rental car kiosk at Pier 91, but I would call and make sure first.

This recommendation is specifically ONLY for those who want to see both downtown Seattle and American Girl Place, and who don't want to rent a car.

In this one, particular instance, I am inclined to recommend:

The Courtyard by Marriott Seattle Bellevue Downtown or
The Sheraton Bellevue

Here is why:

The Courtyard by Marriott is walking distance (2-3 blocks) from the Bellevue Transit Center. The Sheraton is not much further away, and if you call in advance, they have a shuttle that will pick you up at Meydenbauer Center, across from the transit center. The Bellevue Westin and The Lodge at Bellevue are also close, but I haven't stayed there before, and I have stayed at both the Courtyard and Sheraton--they are both nice.

You can get to the Bellevue Transit Center from Sea-Tac in one bus:The 560
You can get to and from Downtown Seattle in one bus:The 550
You can get to and from the Alderwood Mall (American Girl Place) in one bus (but NOT on Sunday or holidays--just to warn you): The 535

My daughter and I took the 535 out to Alderwood today, and I started to think about it--this is a pretty good location for cruisers.

You do have a ways to go to get to the port, but less than from the airport.

Bellevue has a great deal of upscale shopping, including Neiman-Marcus and Jimmy Choo at the Bravern, if that's your thing, but it also has the Bellevue Square Mall with the Lego Store, Disney Store, Microsoft Store (flagship), and Build-A-Bear. From either place, you can also walk (or, in the case of the Sheraton, walk or be shuttled to) Maggianos or the Amazon Grill--both are great restaurants.

If you take the 550 into Seattle, and get off at Westlake Center, you can go to the top of the mall to the Seattle Monorail which will take you to Seattle Center--the Space Needle, Pacific Science Center, Experience Music Project/Sci Fi Museum and Ride the Ducks are all here. It takes about as long as the Disneyland monorail.

You can also skip the monorail and walk over to Pike Place Market, and from there, take an elevator down to the waterfront and see the aquarium, or take one of the dinner cruises. You may also go past the Pier 66 cruise terminal, but DON'T BE FOOLED! It is not Disney's cruise terminal.

Go back to the Westlake Center transit tunnel when you're done, pick up the 550 going in the opposite direction and it will drop you back off at Bellevue Transit Center, and it's easy to get back to your hotel.

If you take the 535 to the Alderwood Mall, you just walk towards the fountain and you'll see the American Girl place--there is also a neat Japanese store called Daiso in the mall, as well as another Disney store. If you plan to eat in the American Girl Bistro, be sure to make reservations. The salmon is good.

You will need to make reservations to get to the port. I'd recommend either Eastside for Hire or Seattle Green Limo

This I think I would like. The one piece of his that I've enjoyed was an instillation that worked with an indoor waterfall.

A LOT. Granted, most of it is chandeliers. I think that is where the annoyance at a museum dedicated to him comes from. You can't walk into a major building in this city without seeing one of them, and they are all so similar that it doesn't seem like a museum would be worth it. If the museum has the bent of what Disneyfaninaz was talking about, with the art blended in with botanicals, then I'll give it a chance.

Check out the Facebook page. It has some pictures of how the art is being installed in the garden.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chihuly-Garden-and-Glass/256743597681198

Forgive me if this has been mentioned...I didn't read the whole thing.. ;) But they have recently started construction on a nearly 200 foot tall ferris wheel with covered gondolas to go out on the water front. It should be done this summer! Sounds fun!

Groupon has the Seattle Helicopter Tour as one of the deals today. It's 15-20 minute tour for $135 for 3 passengers. It sounded very cool so we bought one! Now my question is, how difficult is it to get there from Downtown without a car? How much would a cab ride cost?

Groupon has the Seattle Helicopter Tour as one of the deals today. It's 15-20 minute tour for $135 for 3 passengers. It sounded very cool so we bought one! Now my question is, how difficult is it to get there from Downtown without a car? How much would a cab ride cost?

Downtown to the Seattle airport is a fixed rate $32 each wat (this will change as gas prices rise).

Anybody can go to Google Maps and look up public transit routes between two points in large towns. From say the Seattle Center or Pike Place market you could walk one or two blocks, respectively, to 4th Avenue and take one bus to the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field for less than $2/person. From there a two mile walk or short taxi ride will get you to Seattle Helicopter Tours on the west side of the airport. I don't think any buses run along the west side of Boeing Field.

Yes.. there is a company and I think, THINK, it's National -- either them or Enterprise.. My dad rents from National all the time, and that's who we're using in June.. and I think it's technically Enterprise, but they're "related" so the points/frequent renter privileges/etc are swapable.

I know we're staying someplace downtown and from what he's told me, whomever we're renting with will get us to the ship.. I think they'll pick up the car at the hotel and shuttle us to the ship, but I'm not 100% certain. I can find out if you need.

Call around and ask, see what you can find out, cause that was our biggest concern as well.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned...I didn't read the whole thing.. ;) But they have recently started construction on a nearly 200 foot tall ferris wheel with covered gondolas to go out on the water front. It should be done this summer! Sounds fun!

very cool. Hope it is done early June!

There are some deals for Seattle excursions today:

3-person Heli tour of Seattle: $134 Tippr

Kayak or Paddleboard Rental: Groupon

Thanks for this mention of the kayak rentals! It will give us something to do before our red-eye the day we disembark! Very helpful, it was only $18 for a 2 person kayak rental for 2 hours! Really appreciate it! :thumbsup2

Thanks for this mention of the kayak rentals! It will give us something to do before our red-eye the day we disembark! Very helpful, it was only $18 for a 2 person kayak rental for 2 hours! Really appreciate it! :thumbsup2

You're very welcome :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter