Official Seattle information thread Updated 5/28/2014-Oso update

We got a towncar at the airport (it was just waiting there near the taxi's) that could have taken 4 of us easily (we only had 3) plus all the luggage for $55 to the Space Needle (we stayed at the Hampton Inn near Seattle Center).

FYI - If you have time to kill ... the children's museum in Seattle Center was awesome! We took a taxi there from port after the cruise (flight wasn't until 3:30pm) and played there from 10am - Noon before leaving for the airport.

Space Needle was fun and you can get a combined ticket with the AWESOME Chihuly glass museum.

Bumping this one up at is relates to the Alaskan cruise season is approaching.
NW

mickeyhericome asked:
I have been reading your page about Seattle. By chance, can you give a recommendation on the best golf course in/near Seattle. We will be staying in Seattle for 4 nights before going to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise.

Also, I have been checking Hotwire for hotels in Seattle near Pike Place and Space needle. Are these locations close to each other? Is there another location I should consider? We will not have a car and plan to rely on public transportation.

Hoping someone else can comment on the golfing. I have no experience on that one.

From Pike's Place you walk uphill a few blocks to Westlake then take the monorail to Seattle Center (Space Needle).

Depending on what else you plan to do in town would change what I would recommend.

For a blanket area that is more central I suggest Westlake area for its easy access to all the other areas. Pioneer Square, Waterfront, etc plus monorail to Seattle Center.

But if you plan to be at the EMP, Science Center for the whole time, then stay by the Space Needle.

mickeyhericome asked:

Hoping someone else can comment on the golfing. I have no experience on that one.

From Pike's Place you walk uphill a few blocks to Westlake then take the monorail to Seattle Center (Space Needle).

Depending on what else you plan to do in town would change what I would recommend.

For a blanket area that is more central I suggest Westlake area for its easy access to all the other areas. Pioneer Square, Waterfront, etc plus monorail to Seattle Center.

But if you plan to be at the EMP, Science Center for the whole time, then stay by the Space Needle.

Thanks. We are planning on doing Space needle, children's museum, and Pike's Place a few times. Those are the only things for sure. Not sure what else yet. Maybe a baseball game. Haven't really done that much research on what we might like to do. Maybe the aquarium or zoo. Just figured staying in downtown would be the best. And of course golf for my DH.

Space Needle and Children's Museum are both at the Seattle Center

From Pike Place Market you can walk to the Aquarium.

Between both of those is the monorail (The only form of transportation that reminds me of WDW in Seattle)

Baseball game is a bus ride south
Zoo is a bus ride north.

Golf is not within walking distance of either- I know that much.
I live about an hour north and we have several nice golf courses here, but that is way too far to go in my opinion. I googled "Seattle golf" and a lot of sites came up.

So if any other plans tip you to more in one area than the other . . .
otherwise book hotel on where you want to be at night.

Space Needle and Children's Museum are both at the Seattle Center

From Pike Street Market you can walk to the Aquarium.

Between both of those is the monorail (The only form of transportation that reminds me of WDW in Seattle)

Baseball game is a bus ride south
Zoo is a bus ride north.

Golf is not within walking distance of either- I know that much.
I live about an hour north and we have several nice golf courses here, but that is way too far to go in my opinion. I googled "Seattle golf" and a lot of sites came up.

So if any other plans tip you to more in one area than the other . . .
otherwise book hotel on where you want to be at night.

Thanks for the info. What is your opinion on Maxwell Hotel? Do you know this hotel?

Thanks. We are planning on doing Space needle, children's museum, and Pike's Place a few times. Those are the only things for sure. Not sure what else yet. Maybe a baseball game. Haven't really done that much research on what we might like to do. Maybe the aquarium or zoo. Just figured staying in downtown would be the best. And of course golf for my DH.

Sorry it took so long to get this. I am not a golfer(?) so I asked a friend,

Golf Club at Newcastle (Coal Creek) $150
Stunning views; states most expensive course
15500 Six Penny Newcastle, Newcastle
425-793-GOLF

Trilogy at Redmond Ridge $49 $64
Opening May 23, 2003.
Between Redmond and Duvall on Novelty Hill Road
866-305-1857

West Seattle $25 $30
Considered the best course of Seattle munis
4470 35th S.W., Seattle
206-935-5187

Golf Club at Newcastle (China Creek) $95 $95

Kevin

Sorry it took so long to get this. I am not a golfer(?) so I asked a friend,

Golf Club at Newcastle (Coal Creek) $150
Stunning views; states most expensive course
425-793-GOLF

Trilogy at Redmond Ridge $49 $64
Opening May 23, 2003.
Between Redmond and Duvall on Novelty Hill Road
866-305-1857

West Seattle $25 $30
Considered the best course of Seattle munis
4470 35th S.W., Seattle
206-935-5187

Golf Club at Newcastle (China Creek) $95 $95

Kevin

Thank you for all the info. I will pass it on to my Dh.

If you are planning on travelling by car from Seattle to Vancouver

The bridge on I-5 between exits 227 and 229 has collapsed due to an oversized vehicle that should not have been on the bridge, hitting the bridge causing the collapse of both north and south bound lanes.

There will be traffic delays for the foreseable future. Approximately 70,000 vehicles cross this bridge daily commutting to Seattle. Traffic will be a nightmare.

At this point if you are not taking Amtrak, you need to reconsider flying into Seattle or be prepared for extensive delays.
If you are flying into Bellingham, WA you will be north of the bridge and should be fine.

My mind is reeling over the collapse.

At this point if you are not taking Amtrak, you need to reconsider flying into Seattle or be prepared for extensive delays.

Even if you are taking Amtrak you have to be aware of the problem. Why? Because if there's a slide along the route, they close it for three full days even if they clear it immediately. So all "train" service during that time goes by bus.

Would anyone have a rough idea of how to get to the Westfield Southcenter Mall in Tukwila from Downtown and how much it might cost. DD wants to go to Gilly Hicks and this is the only mall with one.

Thanks

Would anyone have a rough idea of how to get to the Westfield Southcenter Mall in Tukwila from Downtown and how much it might cost. DD wants to go to Gilly Hicks and this is the only mall with one.

Thanks

DH has done that before, so he's checking the Metro's website for you. They have a trip planner that works well (as long as you put the right info in...he put in a West when he shouldn't have, the other week, and got to walk a bonus 14 blocks. :faint:).

The stop puts you on the outskirts of the mall, across the street from an REI. The mall is *huge*, and the parking lot is enormous, so allow yourself a LOT of time. I mean, it's not Mall of America huge, but still, big.

DH says it's the 150 Metro bus. I would look at their website and check it out on your own...metro.kingcounty.gov . After all, what if DH just put a "W" in? Shh, don't tell him I said that. (b/c I already have)

He says it's the same bus number to get back, but of course always check with your bus driver as you're getting off.

DH has done that before, so he's checking the Metro's website for you. They have a trip planner that works well (as long as you put the right info in...he put in a West when he shouldn't have, the other week, and got to walk a bonus 14 blocks. :faint:).

The stop puts you on the outskirts of the mall, across the street from an REI. The mall is *huge*, and the parking lot is enormous, so allow yourself a LOT of time. I mean, it's not Mall of America huge, but still, big.

DH says it's the 150 Metro bus. I would look at their website and check it out on your own...metro.kingcounty.gov . After all, what if DH just put a "W" in? Shh, don't tell him I said that. (b/c I already have)

He says it's the same bus number to get back, but of course always check with your bus driver as you're getting off.

Thank you so much for the info :goodvibes and I'll be sure to check it out myself just in case we end up on a bus to Chicago :lmao:

One other question is it a safe journey for tourists, we'd probably set off in the morning and be home in the afternoon

If you are planning on travelling by car from Seattle to Vancouver

The bridge on I-5 between exits 227 and 229 has collapsed due to an oversized vehicle that should not have been on the bridge, hitting the bridge causing the collapse of both north and south bound lanes.

There will be traffic delays for the foreseable future. Approximately 70,000 vehicles cross this bridge daily commutting to Seattle. Traffic will be a nightmare.

If you are flying into Bellingham, WA you will be north of the bridge and should be fine.

Just an update for the I-5 bridge situation... the temporary bridge is being installed currently, which will allow traffic to go back on I-5 at a reduced speed. I think the intention is for it to be open within a week or so. The permanent bridge is supposed to go up in the fall at some point, which will close the bridge again for ~2 weeks, but dates are not yet known.

Just announced on the morning news. The temporary bridge will be opening on June 20. It will have a reduced speed limit.

They willl immediately begin building of the new permanent bridge next to it.

When the permanent bridge is finished they will close the temp bridge and need about two weeks to convert over the traffic lanes from the old bridge to the new bridge.

We are expecting that to happen sometime in September. Give or take depending on progress.

I'll update the main post once the temporary bridge is open.

The temporary bridge is open. Reduced speed of 35 mph.

Now they start building the permanent replacement bridge.

Does anyone know what the status of the bridge will be in September (going to and returning from the Sept 2-9, 2013 cruise)?
Thanks

Discussion is that the temo bridge will be in place until after cruise season.

That school would be back in session before they were ready to switch lanes to a permanent bridge replacement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter