• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Poly construction update thread **updated video page 103(2/17/15)**

Wow, Tim, so far I've only watched your 'Ohana and WDW videos, but I had to stop to tell you that they're terrific! It's obvious how much you love WDW and the Polynesian. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

And now, to continue watching...

:sunny:

Way cool! Thank you! I want 'Ohana bread now ;)
Turning Japanese is awesome. What is that freaky alien monster??

Way cool! Thank you! I want 'Ohana bread now ;)
Turning Japanese is awesome. What is that freaky alien monster??
Thats me when I don't get a 35% discount at The Poly.
No really the monster is 'Journey tho The Center of the Earth' at DisneySea in Tokyo…Disney Tokyo is a must see park and in many ways the absolute jewel in all of the Disney Park family. The Japanese experience is like no other.
Tell your husband next time you spent a little cash and have a surprise for him.
The Mira Costa (the ONLY hotel in all of Disney that is INSIDE the park) is only around $600 a night if you can get in. I saved. Worth every penny.

I have been reading a lot of this thread and the Tikiman facebook page but it is hard to find the information I'm looking for...

We are staying at the Poly on 12/31/2014...What should I be expecting to see?
The pool area being a construction zone and the lobby having some walls?
Will the beach area be open for watching the New Years Eve fireworks? Will the monorail be operating regular hours?

Thanks to anyone who can help! I know that no one knows exact answers but I'm just wondering what I should be expecting... :)

I have been reading a lot of this thread and the Tikiman facebook page but it is hard to find the information I'm looking for...

We are staying at the Poly on 12/31/2014...What should I be expecting to see?
The pool area being a construction zone and the lobby having some walls?
Will the beach area be open for watching the New Years Eve fireworks? Will the monorail be operating regular hours?

Thanks to anyone who can help! I know that no one knows exact answers but I'm just wondering what I should be expecting... :)

From the current info, yes, the main pool area will be a construction zone, completely fenced off; the new registration desk may be open in the GCH (can't remember the anticipated date), but I think you can count on there still being a lot of construction walls in there; part of the beach will still closed off due to the DVC construction. Traditionally it's very crowded on NYE, I don't know what they will do WRT crowd control. In the past they don't seem to have done a great job limiting access to Poly only guests. With all of the construction this year I would hope they would make more of an effort to be strict, but :confused3 I believe the monorail is now back to normal hours.

From the current info, yes, the main pool area will be a construction zone, completely fenced off; the new registration desk may be open in the GCH (can't remember the anticipated date), but I think you can count on there still being a lot of construction walls in there; part of the beach will still closed off due to the DVC construction. Traditionally it's very crowded on NYE, I don't know what they will do WRT crowd control. In the past they don't seem to have done a great job limiting access to Poly only guests. With all of the construction this year I would hope they would make more of an effort to be strict, but :confused3 I believe the monorail is now back to normal hours.

I read somewhere that the CM's have readers that can easily scan the magic bands to ensure only Poly guests have access to the beach area during peak time.

Good luck.

Let me state my opinion again. I feel that staying at the Poly during construction is worth it when paying a deeply discounted rate. I come to these boards for helpful information. I hope my thoughts on Poly construction were helpful to others. I was asked to define what a deep discount was and I believe I have done so. Again, thank you Tikiman for the updates over the months.

Honestly, I wish I had waited until the construction at the resort was finished.
Unless your rate is deeply discounted I'm convenienced it's not worth the price by most people's standards.
.....and I wish I could tell you different as I'm sure you're excited to go.
Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip

I did momentarily change my ressie to the BWI, but I've stayed there so many times i just wasn't that excited. So I changed back to Poly, I got 30% off with an additional 20% through Orbitz, which turns out to be like 42% off. :thumbsup2

I called the Poly about the free water park passes they've been giving out because of the theme pool closure. They seem to think they will still be doing it when we go, so we shall see. We were at the GF last January and only one day was a pool day. The rest were cold and rainy. :p So I'm not really too concerned. ;)

We visited the poly last Sunday and had drinks at the tambu lounge. My husband asked the bartender if the lounge will be redone. Bartender said not in the beggining since they service both kona and ohana.

I did momentarily change my ressie to the BWI, but I've stayed there so many times i just wasn't that excited. So I changed back to Poly, I got 30% off with an additional 20% through Orbitz, which turns out to be like 42% off. :thumbsup2

I called the Poly about the free water park passes they've been giving out because of the theme pool closure. They seem to think they will still be doing it when we go, so we shall see. We were at the GF last January and only one day was a pool day. The rest were cold and rainy. :p So I'm not really too concerned. ;)
Could you be a little more specific…What dates are you going..You booked tru Disney at 30% and then how did Orbitz come into the picture?
I checked Orbitz and they are no cheaper than Disney.
Thanks
Tim

Could you be a little more specific…What dates are you going..You booked tru Disney at 30% and then how did Orbitz come into the picture?
I checked Orbitz and they are no cheaper than Disney.
Thanks
Tim

Currently Disney is offering up to 30% off for early 2015. That discount will be reflected in Orbitz, if it's available. With Orbitz's fees... you may find them to actually be slightly more than booking with Disney.

An advantage that Orbitz has though... is that you can apply a Promo Code during your initial search. The promo codes can be found on sites like retailmenot or through email subscription, etc. I've seen it for as little as 5% and as high as 20%.

A promo code CAN be combined with Disney's already discounted rates. So... in the OP's case... she was able to grab 30% off through the Disney offered promotion... and than an additional 20% off through an Orbitz promo code. :thumbsup2

Even better, if you book regularly through Orbitz... you can than earn rewards to be used for future travel.

Currently Disney is offering up to 30% off for early 2015. That discount will be reflected in Orbitz, if it's available. With Orbitz's fees... you may find them to actually be slightly more than booking with Disney.

An advantage that Orbitz has though... is that you can apply a Promo Code during your initial search. The promo codes can be found on sites like retailmenot or through email subscription, etc. I've seen it for as little as 5% and as high as 20%.

A promo code CAN be combined with Disney's already discounted rates. So... in the OP's case... she was able to grab 30% off through the Disney offered promotion... and than an additional 20% off through an Orbitz promo code. :thumbsup2

Even better, if you book regularly through Orbitz... you can than earn rewards to be used for future travel.
Thanks!
Sure would love one of those codes for 20%

I did book through Orbitz,

so for six nights, first week of Feb, Poly - Club level - garden view, room only $2477. We really do enjoy club level. :thumbsup2

FYI: This special everyone is talking about does not always include the time you are going. When I checked it versus my Disney ressie, Disney was CHEAPER. They did not include the Sat. and Sunday after Thanksgiving in their discount like Disney did so it was pretty much the same $$ for us. Maybe if you can work your days to their discount you can save big $$ but we already had planned our time to go. I just hate for people to keep saying they are getting this great deal when there are "catches".
You aren't able to mention the agency name if you are looking for it, but if you Google "agency exclusives" you will get the right one:;
They have many offers throughout the year.... Some prices are better than others but I alwayscheck with them first!

I just got back from a week in the World yesterday. I went over to the Poly to see for myself what was going on and how bad the construction was and boy is it bad.

Let me start by saying the Poly was my home resort for years. I have amazing memories of it and really wanted to stay there. I am so glad that I didn't.

We went last Tuesday and the lobby was a labrynith of walls, closed in and dark. The entire area out back of the GCH was blocked off with walls and you could see the half demolished volcano in the pool area.

What was the worst part was when we went outside and all you could hear was jack hammers as they dismantled the volcano. It echoed through the marina and all the way over to the area/beach by lau cove. We could even hear it as we walked over to the Floridian. (we were there about 11am) :sad2:

If I was staying there this week I would have been beside myself. I wouldn't have paid $100 a night to stay there. The lagoon looks cramped and crowded now with all those villas. It's just not the place that I remember anymore. I will go by and visit next time I'm down in a few years to see the new Poly but I was sad to see the place that I loved looking that way. :guilty:

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly just an honest opinion of what I saw this past week.

That would make me sad to see that, too. I have wonderful family memories at the Poly. I'm sure it will be beautiful when it's finished. I'm not so sure about that DVC- looks like it really messes with the nice views that used to be from the beach. And isn't the pool going to be super crowded now that it's shared with DVC? Even if they are making pool space larger?? I've heard Floridian pool is more crowded now than it ever was with that DVC. We are going in April and staying at the Floridian for the first time. We wanted the Poly, but I don't think the work will be finished.

I just got back from a week in the World yesterday. I went over to the Poly to see for myself what was going on and how bad the construction was and boy is it bad.

Let me start by saying the Poly was my home resort for years. I have amazing memories of it and really wanted to stay there. I am so glad that I didn't.

We went last Tuesday and the lobby was a labrynith of walls, closed in and dark. The entire area out back of the GCH was blocked off with walls and you could see the half demolished volcano in the pool area.

What was the worst part was when we went outside and all you could hear was jack hammers as they dismantled the volcano. It echoed through the marina and all the way over to the area/beach by lau cove. We could even hear it as we walked over to the Floridian. (we were there about 11am) :sad2:

If I was staying there this week I would have been beside myself. I wouldn't have paid $100 a night to stay there. The lagoon looks cramped and crowded now with all those villas. It's just not the place that I remember anymore. I will go by and visit next time I'm down in a few years to see the new Poly but I was sad to see the place that I loved looking that way. :guilty:

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly just an honest opinion of what I saw this past week.

We were there in August and it was the same (above). Can't believe it still and ita. I would not stay there while it's like this either. So sad.

Question that has nothing to do with construction, but some of you on here really seem to know your Disney stuff... How many fast passes will I get each day of my Grand Floridian stay? When I went last fall, we got about 3 each day from the magic bands and then received 3 more fast pass tickets for each day of our trip (they were mailed to us). I guess I didn't give it much thought at the time- just enjoyed not waiting in line! I recently read somewhere that if you stay in a Disney resort and depending on which ones, they give you extra fast passes. Less for value resorts- most for deluxe resort. Anyone else heard of this?

Question that has nothing to do with construction, but some of you on here really seem to know your Disney stuff... How many fast passes will I get each day of my Grand Floridian stay? When I went last fall, we got about 3 each day from the magic bands and then received 3 more fast pass tickets for each day of our trip (they were mailed to us). I guess I didn't give it much thought at the time- just enjoyed not waiting in line! I recently read somewhere that if you stay in a Disney resort and depending on which ones, they give you extra fast passes. Less for value resorts- most for deluxe resort. Anyone else heard of this?

I stayed 8/13, 11/13, 1/14, 5/14. 8/14 and upcoming 11/14. I got 3 FP+ bookable in advance per day for each trip. If you use all those you can use kiosks to book one more at a time thereafter.

Not sure where you got mailed FP tickets from??? Not anything I have read about before.

I stayed all deluxe except 8/14 was mod. If that matters.
Get them again ? Let me know!

I just saw tikimans photos of the volcano coming down at the pool and noticed they closed off the beach in front of the pool. Anyone know if we can expect or hope that that beach area in front of the volcano pool will be open for 12/31/2014-1/7/2014? We are booked at the poly then and hoping they would clear that area for NYE fireworks and all...anybody have any predictions/ guesses/ input? Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter