• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Poly construction update thread **updated video page 103(2/17/15)**

Due to a discount deal I booked a trip to the poly for Jan.7-12. I know of construction. Not concerned about the pool as much. But, I have heard a lot of the other construction might be done or reduced by the time we go. Don't have time to go through all of these pages. Can anyone give me an quick update to let me know what Jan might brin?

Many thanks!!!

Not much will be done by February from what I can tell from the construction schedule.

I can't post this on Facebook because the hubby only likes ONE PAGE and it is YOURS :lmao: That is saying a ton because I am the Disney nut. He is...not :)

So, I asked my dear husband to go to Disney (again). He said if I paid for it (loving man!), and I got so excited! So I said we could get a villa at the Beach Club so we'd have more room with the kids and his smile dropped and he said, "no". :confused3 He said he would only go to the Poly. But I said we can only go during Spring Break because he already told an old college friend we would go to Montana the week that school gets out for the kids and then we go to Japan this summer for my brother's wedding. And my work project goes live in November which means I am on lockdown for vacation and have to be traveling for September and October (and I don't do Disney at Christmas). And I HAVE TO GO TO DISNEY BECAUSE my job is so stressful!!! So the only time left is Spring Break and I don't know if the volcano pool will be open :sad: And...and...and...

Did I mention he stopped listening when I said Beach Club? Well, a discount just came out and I might have booked the Poly and...he doesn't know. And I bought plane tickets today...oops....

He's at the farm right now. I think we've seen each other for 4 days the past 2 months with our travels. One of those days he sort of said yes to Disney :scratching

So Tikiman, how do I break it to him??? And can you post something on Facebook about the best wives in the world like Disneyworld, or something like that? :rolleyes1

And I'll say it again, THANK YOU to Tikiman and to all the others that contribute to his site (Thanks Tim!) and to these threads (yes, the oldies I've seen for many years past at the pool!). I appreciate all the heads up and advance info so I can prepare for my trips - whether it is during a roof replacement, or half the resort!

Let me state my opinion again. I feel that staying at the Poly during construction is worth it when paying a deeply discounted rate. I come to these boards for helpful information. I hope my thoughts on Poly construction were helpful to others. I was asked to define what a deep discount was and I believe I have done so. Again, thank you Tikiman for the updates over the months.
"10-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Here now at the Poly during the construction.
But I do feel like it is worth it with the deeply discounted rates.
I consider 52% a deeply discounted rate."

And I feel that staying at the Poly with a deep discount makes sense too... and to stay there at regular rates doesn't. So we are in agreement there.
There is one agency and time of year where a 50% plus rate is offered.
Your previous post was dated October 5 saying you were enjoying the Poly now and implied that you currently have a deep discount of more than 50%. I am asking you if that is so, which I do not believe is the case. It appeared to be misleading to others here who would love to be at the Poly with that rate this week. Would you please clarify for the folks following this thread. Thank you.

I can't post this on Facebook because the hubby only likes ONE PAGE and it is YOURS :lmao: That is saying a ton because I am the Disney nut. He is...not :)

So, I asked my dear husband to go to Disney (again). He said if I paid for it (loving man!), and I got so excited! So I said we could get a villa at the Beach Club so we'd have more room with the kids and his smile dropped and he said, "no". :confused3 He said he would only go to the Poly. But I said we can only go during Spring Break because he already told an old college friend we would go to Montana the week that school gets out for the kids and then we go to Japan this summer for my brother's wedding. And my work project goes live in November which means I am on lockdown for vacation and have to be traveling for September and October (and I don't do Disney at Christmas). And I HAVE TO GO TO DISNEY BECAUSE my job is so stressful!!! So the only time left is Spring Break and I don't know if the volcano pool will be open :sad: And...and...and...

Did I mention he stopped listening when I said Beach Club? Well, a discount just came out and I might have booked the Poly and...he doesn't know. And I bought plane tickets today...oops....

He's at the farm right now. I think we've seen each other for 4 days the past 2 months with our travels. One of those days he sort of said yes to Disney :scratching

So Tikiman, how do I break it to him??? And can you post something on Facebook about the best wives in the world like Disneyworld, or something like that? :rolleyes1

And I'll say it again, THANK YOU to Tikiman and to all the others that contribute to his site (Thanks Tim!) and to these threads (yes, the oldies I've seen for many years past at the pool!). I appreciate all the heads up and advance info so I can prepare for my trips - whether it is during a roof replacement, or half the resort!
Oh thank you for mentioning me.
I feel like a humble old dog next to the Tikiman. I have been a fan of Steve since I first opened Tikiman pages before face book..and a huger fan of the Poly since I first went there in the 70s.
I feel honored that Tikiman likes my photos…many of them you have not seen yet..And over the next several months there will be many more that will contribute to the look of his sites and keep us all connected to our happy place.
Tim

We're heading to DW in December and planning to do some resort hopping to viee Christmas decor...will the Poly lobby be done by then?

We're heading to DW in December and planning to do some resort hopping to viee Christmas decor...will the Poly lobby be done by then?
I do not believe so. But it will surely be refreshing when the walls in the Lobby come down and we see the new generation of memories being born.

I just left the world after an amazing 7 day trip!! We went to the poly twice for breakfast at Kona, I will have to say the beauty of the resort is not there! It was so sad to see all the walls in place of the beautiful waterfall and lush tropical landscape. I actually said to my husband how upset I would be if we had paid to stay there during all the construction even at a discounted price. I'm just giving MY opinion because I can see how a discounted price would be enticing to get a chance at a resort I may not usually be able to stay.

Thanks for the update...We too will miss the beautiful lobby and have many photos in front of the waterfall. My son would love to watch the parrots when younger.

I just left the world after an amazing 7 day trip!! We went to the poly twice for breakfast at Kona, I will have to say the beauty of the resort is not there! It was so sad to see all the walls in place of the beautiful waterfall and lush tropical landscape. I actually said to my husband how upset I would be if we had paid to stay there during all the construction even at a discounted price. I'm just giving MY opinion because I can see how a discounted price would be enticing to get a chance at a resort I may not usually be able to stay.
I can see how many people feel the same way as you. Who wants to pay almost $500 bucks a night rack rate for a standard or even $370 a night with the regular discount and not feel all the amenities that make the Poly so special.
Now with that being said. I spent 10 glorious days solo at the Poly in Fiji facing the cove beach. I had a deeply discounted room ($189)..and I had a blast! The lobby was walled nicely, the staff was so amazing and friendly and down to earth, long timers, I was able to walk into ALL restaurants including Ohana during my entire stay, I hopped the monorail all day and night in and out of the MK (soooooo convenient)…,I used the empty bus to hop over to the free water park, being on the west side of the resort I was never ever bothered by the sights or sounds of construction, the quiet pool was all mine all the time, the resort was as quiet as a church mouse, the grounds were meticulously maintained and beautiful, housekeeping made me lots of animals, the front dest people had a small glitch with my magic band and compted my park tickets for the day, everyone called me by name when ever I walked around the Lobby, the bartenders at Tambu were amazing and friendly and so welcoming, Auntie was working every day and being the most beautiful 82 year old woman on the planet was sincerely concerned how my day was going and called me Tim after just meeting her briefly, Captain Cooks was always open with the most friendly and nicest people I have ever met, my room was huge and my view to the red sky, water, and whizzing by monorail was calming…I loved every single minute of it and was affected not one iota by the historic transformation taking place.
Would I pay $500 bucks a night? Nope. But I wouldn't do that anyway even before the bulldozers arrived.
For those of you thinking about visiting during this time, keep an open mind and get a good rate and you will find the magic is still alive and well as Johnny Winter used to say.

What is this XXX agency? Is it a travel agency? Can you give me a hint or PM me? I'm just curious what you are all talking about and if I'm missing something I can be a part of!!

What is this XXX agency? Is it a travel agency? Can you give me a hint or PM me? I'm just curious what you are all talking about and if I'm missing something I can be a part of!!
Not allowed to mention or PM as I have been warned I will loose my DIS account. But read back and you will find it. Sorry wish I could help, maybe someone will help you.

Haha. If I start talking about what the best wives like I could get myself in trouble but next year is going to be crazy. I am trying to go out there for a quick peek early in the year and then a family vacation in late summer. I just got a bunch of info from different internal Disney sources and construction sources and I am trying to figure it all out. A few weeks ago the GM of the Polynesian told some of the staff that he expects the GCH to be done by Thanksgiving…..Before everyone gets excited I will tell you that all the schedules and people involved tell me “NO WAY”. If anything, it seems like things are going to take longer based on the latest construction schedule. I will be writing an article about this all as soon as I get a break from work and duties at home but it looks like things are going to go well into next year. Then when it is all done there is another surprise coming.
You know I will do my best to keep you informed but sometimes I have to figure out the information I get before I share it so I feel like I understand the big picture.

Haha. If I start talking about what the best wives like I could get myself in trouble but next year is going to be crazy. I am trying to go out there for a quick peek early in the year and then a family vacation in late summer. I just got a bunch of info from different internal Disney sources and construction sources and I am trying to figure it all out. A few weeks ago the GM of the Polynesian told some of the staff that he expects the GCH to be done by Thanksgiving…..Before everyone gets excited I will tell you that all the schedules and people involved tell me “NO WAY”. If anything, it seems like things are going to take longer based on the latest construction schedule. I will be writing an article about this all as soon as I get a break from work and duties at home but it looks like things are going to go well into next year. Then when it is all done there is another surprise coming.
You know I will do my best to keep you informed but sometimes I have to figure out the information I get before I share it so I feel like I understand the big picture.

Can't wait to hear what the surprise is! I hope it is good.
Do you think the pool will be done by late April? We are hoping to book the last week of April.

Can't wait to hear what the surprise is! I hope it is good.
Do you think the pool will be done by late April? We are hoping to book the last week of April.

Hopefully but then they will start a major redesign of the East pool.

Hopefully but then they will start a major redesign of the East pool.

So they are going to redo the quiet pool sometime next year? I thought I heard something about this. I'm pretty sure it won't be done by August. That is when we are planning on going and we really prefer the quiet pool to the main pool.

FYI:
This special everyone is talking about does not always include the time you are going. When I checked it versus my Disney ressie, Disney was CHEAPER. They did not include the Sat. and Sunday after Thanksgiving in their discount like Disney did so it was pretty much the same $$ for us. Maybe if you can work your days to their discount you can save big $$ but we already had planned our time to go. I just hate for people to keep saying they are getting this great deal when there are "catches".

FYI:
This special everyone is talking about does not always include the time you are going. When I checked it versus my Disney ressie, Disney was CHEAPER. They did not include the Sat. and Sunday after Thanksgiving in their discount like Disney did so it was pretty much the same $$ for us. Maybe if you can work your days to their discount you can save big $$ but we already had planned our time to go. I just hate for people to keep saying they are getting this great deal when there are "catches".
You are correct. The great deal is a once a year block of convention rooms (50 a day) mid- August to labor Day. Otherwise its the same as Disney offers. In fact if you have a pin for 35%, are an AP/Florida resident or in the military Disney has up to 40% off. Thanks for clarifying that so people don't feel like they are missing out.
Tim

Wait...you work too??? ;)

Oh thank you for mentioning me.
I feel like a humble old dog next to the Tikiman. I have been a fan of Steve since I first opened Tikiman pages before face book..and a huger fan of the Poly since I first went there in the 70s.
I feel honored that Tikiman likes my photos…many of them you have not seen yet..And over the next several months there will be many more that will contribute to the look of his sites and keep us all connected to our happy place.
Tim

Without contributors like you, we would not get all the information and incredible visuals! So yes, thank YOU! And I look forward to many more photos. I devour them like my allotted 75 calorie chocolate after a 6 mile run. and yes, I happen to be hungry...like every...freaking...day... But I'm a good wifey-poo so I'll devour the photos instead ;)

Without contributors like you, we would not get all the information and incredible visuals! So yes, thank YOU! And I look forward to many more photos. I devour them like my allotted 75 calorie chocolate after a 6 mile run. and yes, I happen to be hungry...like every...freaking...day... But I'm a good wifey-poo so I'll devour the photos instead ;)
Thank you. I love film too.
These are for you.
Tim

Ohana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95GkQP9XI3A

WDW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDjdbRcEHU

Poly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skLUfDNfKZY

I think Im turning Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7brMX8Y9sk

WDW Early Years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmsjbuYEvpw

WDW The Beginning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ETQ1TPqiA

Epcot Beginnings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOq_jc33WJ8

Japan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIFx6gvqfys

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter