Official Poly construction update thread **updated video page 103(2/17/15)**

Does anybody know if they are going to be closing dining locations during the lobby refurb?
I am concerned because I know we already won't have a pool, I picked the Poly because we decided a CS that could deal with allergies is worth more than the pool. (son's allergies give us trouble eating park CS and there is no breakfast CS for him at the YC where we've been staying) so we want something to not be crazy expensive!) If we have to leave both to swim and to eat every time but the price is still just as high than this is the wrong year for us to try the Poly.

Per, Tikiman, I've heard that they plan to close down the GCH restaurants during the refurb but have not heard anything regarding the timing. If I were to wager a guess, I'd say that Captain Cook's will be worked on before Kona or 'Ohana because I'm sort of getting the impression that they're going to work on the lower floor areas of the GCH first. Purely speculating, I'd guess that Captain Cooks will end up getting closed for an extended period sometime in 2014 and Kona and 'Ohana won't be closed until 2015 ('Ohana is supposed to reopen under the same name after the refurb but I'm not sure about Kona).

It's possible that they'll open some sort of temporary/limited CS option during the closure of Captain Cooks.

Hate to say it, but the reservation CM's will likely have no idea about the renovations. Even when BLT was being physically constructed (you could see it being built), you would still get denials that there is any construction going on there...:rolleyes2

I want to stay at Poly in a August as well, but I do believe that the pool, and possibly the GCH will be impacted. If nothing else, the DVC construction will still be in full force....so I'm not taking my chances and booked GF instead. :goodvibes

Thanks MM1 - I kind of thought that as well. Having worked in a hotel many moons ago, a little voice in the back of my mind was telling me that they had to say this stuff and that the renovations were going to be there.

Made the decision and just got off the phone after switching to the GF. The price difference was only $200 (club room to club room). Thought about the YC and AKL but like the monorail and proximity to MK of the GF. I can't believe the decision was so tough - lots of good choices.

I try not to complain but all this construction is almost too much to take. I was just getting past the construction on the pool and was still thinking of switching my reservation back to the Poly. Now I am finding out there will be construction on the beach, volcano pool, lobby. GCH, and the closeing of NeverLand Club. That just is too much!!! It is unbelieveable that they will continue to charge the amount they do with all that construction. I realize they have to do it but at least offer a huge discount or do a little construction at a time. This is just so depressing.

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. This seems like a crazy amount of construction for them to keep the rate the same and pretend its nothing. The pool for us is irritating but do-able, the chance for no real CS is not ok. We were at the YC the year they redid hurricane hannas and realized the CS that are not full service have very little to accomodate allergies. Getting a 3 and 5 year old to sit for every single meal at TS for 2 weeks Is just not going to happen. Now Im sad.

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. This seems like a crazy amount of construction for them to keep the rate the same and pretend its nothing. The pool for us is irritating but do-able, the chance for no real CS is not ok. We were at the YC the year they redid hurricane hannas and realized the CS that are not full service have very little to accomodate allergies. Getting a 3 and 5 year old to sit for every single meal at TS for 2 weeks Is just not going to happen. Now Im sad.

I totally agree. That is what actually did me in. That and hearing they would also be working on the lobby. Just too much for our family to deal with at that cost. We are now looking at CBR. I know it is far from the quality of the Poly but it is very tropical and that is just the theme I am looking for. Good luck to you and your family. Trust me once you get over the frustration another op will present itself. One that will not only satisfy your family but help you enjoy the magic of Disney and get you excited again.

these were taken mid december the latest any were taken would be the 17th or so. we were in hawaii 3rd floor and had two tpv rooms. mid hallway. I didn't feel like the construction hampered our enjoyment or view at all. in fact it was interesting to see. can't say we saw anyone actually working though and we were at the resort quite a bit. you can see the construction was off to the right and i could see how some rooms may have view issues with that big pile of dirt. I posted some of these so you could get a more well rounded view and not JUST the construction area :) also...sorry for the quality they are just iphone pics!

11l5rm8.jpg

xcqjj8.jpg

59sxs7.jpg

2s0ohtw.jpg

2s8mpeu.jpg

2rw25qa.jpg

We were booked for Poly June 5 - 15 but decided to move to CR after seeing that the volcano pool will be under construction. Staying at CR is just not the same.

But now I am unsure because I don't see it under refurbishments and it says nothing on the Disney site. Really don't know what to do. My kids really like the Poly, but not having Captain Hooks and volcano pool closing would put a big damper on it.:faint:

Would Disney have already announced refurbs for hotels in June by now? :confused3They seem to have the attractions scheduled out that far.

jodeeb said:
Would Disney have already announced refurbs for hotels in June by now? :confused3They seem to have the attractions scheduled out that far.

Doesnt that just make it that much more frustrating? I mentioned all this to my TA and her response included that Disney has not confirmed ANY of the plans. I don't like to say this, but I think this much work being done and not giving people any sort of fair schedule is crossing into being unethical. I'm starting to wonder why they don't actually close the resort for 5 months or so and just reopen with everything done.

Doesnt that just make it that much more frustrating? I mentioned all this to my TA and her response included that Disney has not confirmed ANY of the plans. I don't like to say this, but I think this much work being done and not giving people any sort of fair schedule is crossing into being unethical. I'm starting to wonder why they don't actually close the resort for 5 months or so and just reopen with everything done.

I agree with this. I would be more then miffed if I hadn't seen this then we showed up all the construction on pool and whatnot is going on and Disney not saying a thing. If not closing the resort they should offer discounts. I feel it should be their obligation to warn us ahead of time so we can make the decision ourselves. There are those who it doesn't matter, but for our family it makes a big difference.

these were taken mid december the latest any were taken would be the 17th or so. we were in hawaii 3rd floor and had two tpv rooms. mid hallway. I didn't feel like the construction hampered our enjoyment or view at all. in fact it was interesting to see. can't say we saw anyone actually working though and we were at the resort quite a bit. you can see the construction was off to the right and i could see how some rooms may have view issues with that big pile of dirt. I posted some of these so you could get a more well rounded view and not JUST the construction area :) also...sorry for the quality they are just iphone pics!

Thanks so much for posting the picks! I'm going to Poly in just over two weeks and those pictures make me feel better about staying at Poly. Now I'm just hoping that with work starting the GCH Captain Cooks is still open. We've all been hungry for the nachos!

Thanks for the pictures! 10 days until we check in!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! But it seems there are people who will still book it. They should at the very least inform people. The excuse being said is they sometimes do not decided when they are going to start construction untill the last minute. It seems to me they keep changing there original dates for construction so that may also be why. I am sooooo glad for this site and my addiction to doing as much research as I do for our vacations otherwise I would have been one hot women if I got there and did not find out until we arrived. The flames would have been flying!!!!!

What might be a good idea on this thread is to do a monthly rehab schedule. What I mean is something like....

FEB 2014- Tahiti longhouse closed, pool under construction
(THIS INFO IS NOT ACCURATE! ......I'm just giving an example)

Thoughts? Or do we even have enough information to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Scott MC said:
What might be a good idea on this thread is to do a monthly rehab schedule. What I mean is something like....

FEB 2014- Tahiti longhouse closed, pool under construction
(THIS INFO IS NOT ACCURATE! ......I'm just giving an example)

Thoughts? Or do we even have enough information to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I dont know if we have the info because its not organized enough for us to know if we know... the info I got when asking about the dining for August was new to me, I spent a few hours searching for anybody talking about work on the main building.
If anybody knows enough, I think it would be wonderful to have a list like that. Of course it wouldn't be 100% certain, but it would be helpful.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! But it seems there are people who will still book it. They should at the very least inform people. The excuse being said is they sometimes do not decided when they are going to start construction untill the last minute. It seems to me they keep changing there original dates for construction so that may also be why. I am sooooo glad for this site and my addiction to doing as much research as I do for our vacations otherwise I would have been one hot women if I got there and did not find out until we arrived. The flames would have been flying!!!!!

We were just there at the beginning of December and when I booked our BB the CM did say "of course you realize the construction will still be going on ..." so in our instance they did mention it. However, there was nothing about the lobby or the pool. I agree though, anyone booking should be informed of the "potential" for closures and once dates are confirmed upcoming arrivals should be notified. I'm sure it would create a lot of logistic issues for them - several angry people wanting to switch resorts - but when it's big things like the restaurants that could affect stays, with no additional discounts, people should be informed as much as possible.

I dont know if we have the info because its not organized enough for us to know if we know... the info I got when asking about the dining for August was new to me, I spent a few hours searching for anybody talking about work on the main building.
If anybody knows enough, I think it would be wonderful to have a list like that. Of course it wouldn't be 100% certain, but it would be helpful.

Unfortunately I don't think there is the info available to do this. Tikiman, our main source, can't even get definitive dates. I think this is largely because the schedule/scope of work is constantly in flux. Besides, if the CM's aren't even informed it's unlikely we could get good enough info to put together our own schedule (although it would be nice to have!!)

If my dates are 2/25-3/4 2014, what am I looking at? It looks like monorail will definitely be limited during the day (MK lines), and some construction along beach. will the pool be ok then? what about lobby?

If my dates are 2/25-3/4 2014, what am I looking at? It looks like monorail will definitely be limited during the day (MK lines), and some construction along beach. will the pool be ok then? what about lobby?

I don't think anybody can answer that with any degree of accuracy.

It's impossible to say for sure. The best I can guess from what's been reported is definitely construction on the beach (I expect this will be true all the way through to the opening of the DVC villas), and the limited monorail service (which if I'm correct, Disney themselves announced?).
In addition, I would go with the assumption that the main pool will be closed, as reports are that the CMs working there were told to prepare to relocate this month for up to a year, so it's likely that rather than reopening between the small refurb and the larger work that was originally thought to be the plan, the pool will just remain closed.
As far as the lobby is concerned, that seems to be the area with the most uncertainty. We know there was planned work on the Great Ceremonial House, some reports now claim that plan has been pushed back or altered. Therefore it's hard to say what you might encounter in a month and a half. If there is work on the GCH while you are there, it will most likely be in parts, with most of the area available to guests. We've heard nothing about closures of the food options, which is something Disney does post on the site ahead of time, at least for the TS places (they posted Cali Grill's refurb at least) so I would think it's safe to assume that Kona and Ohana will be open, and probably the CS area.

Of course, every educated guess I just made could be thrown out the window tomorrow by some news from Tikiman and his sources lol, but I hope it gives you a slightly better picture of what might be going on. Hopefully you won't come across too much disruption to your vacation. I hope you'll give us some updates and photos once you get back!

It's impossible to say for sure. The best I can guess from what's been reported is definitely construction on the beach (I expect this will be true all the way through to the opening of the DVC villas), and the limited monorail service (which if I'm correct, Disney themselves announced?).
In addition, I would go with the assumption that the main pool will be closed, as reports are that the CMs working there were told to prepare to relocate this month for up to a year, so it's likely that rather than reopening between the small refurb and the larger work that was originally thought to be the plan, the pool will just remain closed.
As far as the lobby is concerned, that seems to be the area with the most uncertainty. We know there was planned work on the Great Ceremonial House, some reports now claim that plan has been pushed back or altered. Therefore it's hard to say what you might encounter in a month and a half. If there is work on the GCH while you are there, it will most likely be in parts, with most of the area available to guests. We've heard nothing about closures of the food options, which is something Disney does post on the site ahead of time, at least for the TS places (they posted Cali Grill's refurb at least) so I would think it's safe to assume that Kona and Ohana will be open, and probably the CS area.

Of course, every educated guess I just made could be thrown out the window tomorrow by some news from Tikiman and his sources lol, but I hope it gives you a slightly better picture of what might be going on. Hopefully you won't come across too much disruption to your vacation. I hope you'll give us some updates and photos once you get back!

thank you so , so much. Tikiman has reported that the pool closure is not until May sometime. Based on your reply, do you have different/updated information to the contrary?

It's impossible to say for sure. The best I can guess from what's been reported is definitely construction on the beach (I expect this will be true all the way through to the opening of the DVC villas), and the limited monorail service (which if I'm correct, Disney themselves announced?). In addition, I would go with the assumption that the main pool will be closed, as reports are that the CMs working there were told to prepare to relocate this month for up to a year, so it's likely that rather than reopening between the small refurb and the larger work that was originally thought to be the plan, the pool will just remain closed. As far as the lobby is concerned, that seems to be the area with the most uncertainty. We know there was planned work on the Great Ceremonial House, some reports now claim that plan has been pushed back or altered. Therefore it's hard to say what you might encounter in a month and a half. If there is work on the GCH while you are there, it will most likely be in parts, with most of the area available to guests. We've heard nothing about closures of the food options, which is something Disney does post on the site ahead of time, at least for the TS places (they posted Cali Grill's refurb at least) so I would think it's safe to assume that Kona and Ohana will be open, and probably the CS area. Of course, every educated guess I just made could be thrown out the window tomorrow by some news from Tikiman and his sources lol, but I hope it gives you a slightly better picture of what might be going on. Hopefully you won't come across too much disruption to your vacation. I hope you'll give us some updates and photos once you get back!

We leave Tuesday. First time staying at poly or a deluxe resort. Think we will be affected by much. Lots of saving went in to be able to stay here

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter